Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Go to http://www.newegg.com and do a search for them. They have a lot of enclosures for hard drives. I bought one from them and they were great. I ordered the enclosure on Tuesday and had it on Friday with regular shipping. I highly recommend them.

JOD8FY

JRam

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2004
Santa Cruz
I went out and got a Metal Gear Substance by Techimo. And while I really enjoy the way it looks, I find that whenever the power is on then the hard drive is doing something, which means I can hear the bugger going *wheeeeeeee!* (your basic hard drive runnin' sound) and that gets slightly annoying. I guess partly a problem of just having a loud hard drive, although I can tell ya that the Metal Gear case's main priority isn't to dampen noise.

But if you want a snazzy external hard drive case.... its a winner :cool:

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I like GraniteDigital.com's offerings. They have hot swap cases, so you have a few drives in caddies/trays and swap them in the main enclosure. I've got two 80GB and a 120GB drive in mine and they're great. Especially if you need a lot of storage. The main case is around $200 and the trays are $30, but it's cheaper than buying another $100 full size case every time you need to expand. Plus, if you were to have enclosures in different places, moving the drives in the caddies works out really well.

They've got FireWire 400 and 800, USB 1.1/2 and regular (non-hotswap) cases.

cpjakes

scottwat

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Ohio USA
Multiple HD case?

Ok I like the idea hot swapping but I have about 3 100 or 120 gig harddrives, I have one in a firewire case and then I have been swapping in and out, but thats getting to wear on the case and clips. What about a double drive enclosure? even a firewire raid enclosure? Doesn't matter how its set up really. Just dont want it to cost all that much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.