PDA

View Full Version : Dessicant Mishap

nef919
Sep 5, 2004, 08:56 AM
My mom just dropped off her iBook with a problem I'm at a loss for. It seems that one of the small "balls" that make up the innards of a dessicant cartridge got into the hole in the iBooks power port. (where you plug in the power adapter) Now the adapter doesn't seat properly and you need to hold the adapter at odd angles to charge the battery. Anyone have any ideas that don't involve bringing the maching to Apple on how to get it out. At this point you can't see the ball anymore.

Blue Velvet
Sep 5, 2004, 08:57 AM
Vaccuum cleaner?

AliensAreFuzzy
Sep 5, 2004, 09:05 AM
Try using a very small drill bit to dig into the ball a little bit and pull out the ball.

Abstract
Sep 5, 2004, 09:13 AM
I don't know what a dessicant ball is, but use a strong vacuum.

If the ball is soft, shut your system off and squirt water up the hole of that power plug. Maybe it'll shrink it, and then you can shake it out.

If the ball is somewhat harder, then squirt a lubricant in there (olive oil?) and again, try to shake it out.

And can you please tell me what a dessicant ball is? :)

Blue Velvet
Sep 5, 2004, 09:18 AM
...And can you please tell me what a dessicant ball is? :)

Similar, if not same as the little pellets that are in those sachets of silica gel that come with your new electronic gadgets... my guess, anyway.

Now, if you think we're geeky, try this:

http://users.adelphia.net/~jthm/

nef919
Sep 6, 2004, 08:15 AM
Yes we are talking about the contents of those little packages. Not sure how it broke open, but evidently its been this way for a while. She just brought it to my attention because the original power adapter had to be replaced. Seems the round shroud deformed to the poit that she couldn't insert it. I have tried the vacuum, one of the first things I tried. As for the drill bit... She won't let me. My location has just changed thanks to her and I don't want to be there again.

Celeron
Sep 6, 2004, 09:07 AM
Can of compressed air?

Hoef
Sep 6, 2004, 10:23 AM
can't you use a needle and pry it out or so.... Or puncture the ball untill you can suck it out?