PDA

View Full Version : iMac Superdrive Not Working

theapplefreak
Mar 14, 2010, 03:44 PM
So today, my friend came over, and he gave me a DVD to watch.
I attempted to insert the DVD into the superdrive, and waited for a while. After that, I realized that it wasn't in all the way, so I pushed it in farther, up to the point where only about 2 cm of the DVD was visible.
Then I realized that the superdrive wasn't working. I pressed the eject button and nothing happened. I restarted my computer, and I tried everything I know.

Any help?
Thanks

Eidorian
Mar 14, 2010, 03:49 PM
Reset your PRAM and SMC. Take al look in Disk Utility and System Profiler. After all that give Apple a call.

ClassicII
Mar 14, 2010, 03:54 PM
Reset your PRAM and SMC. Take al look in Disk Utility and System Profiler. After all that give Apple a call.

Agreed check and see if it is even showing up in the apple profiler. If not then you do have a problem with the drive its self. Try the above first if not looks like a trip to the apple store :/

theapplefreak
Mar 14, 2010, 04:02 PM

What do I look for in Disk utility and system profiler?
I tried resetting the PRAM and SMC. It didn't work.

WilliamG
Mar 14, 2010, 04:05 PM
Sounds like the motor in the drive died, so it won't pull the disc in... Time for service!

Bennieboyİ
Mar 14, 2010, 04:05 PM
look to see if system profiler is picking it up

theapplefreak
Mar 14, 2010, 04:10 PM
look to see if system profiler is picking it up

Yeah that's there.

theapplefreak
Mar 14, 2010, 04:13 PM
Sounds like the motor in the drive died, so it won't pull the disc in... Time for service!

Oh boy...I really don't want to take my 27" iMac to the apple store. Huge computer. D:

WilliamG
Mar 14, 2010, 04:34 PM
Oh boy...I really don't want to take my 27" iMac to the apple store. Huge computer. D:

Have you tried turning the system off and on? (Not just a restart)

theapplefreak
Mar 14, 2010, 04:34 PM
Have you tried turning the system off and on? (Not just a restart)

Yes of course. That was the first thing I did.

WilliamG
Mar 14, 2010, 04:54 PM
Yes of course. That was the first thing I did.

Well then. It should be fairly obvious - get that big mama in for service! Shouldn't take them very long to swap out the drive.