PDA

View Full Version : Which 2TB hard drives are inside the 27" iMacs?

macjb
Mar 14, 2010, 06:03 PM
I'm getting a new iMac 27" (1TB) this week and was wondering, which 2TB hard drives Apple installs.

I have read that they use WD and Seagate, but which models exactly? (caviar green or black) If you could post the infos of your iMac that would be great.

Also, I want to upgrade to a 2TB drive. I know, I have to stick with the brand that comes with my iMac, because of power issues. However, I have also read that Apple uses a special OEM drive and an upgrade won't work (heat problems remain, a special firmware is necessary) Is that true?

Which 2TB hard drive would you recommend? (in terms of speed and noise)

Ecoh
Mar 14, 2010, 08:07 PM
My i7 has a Hitachi 2T drive. I think that is the only 2T drive used in the 27 " iMac.

It is very quiet and seems to run smoothly, I have no problems with it.

Raima
Mar 14, 2010, 08:33 PM
Hitachi aren't good :( I'm starting to see apple use more cheap parts but still charge exorbant amounts for them :(

Cave Man
Mar 14, 2010, 08:38 PM
I'd take Hitachi drives over WD any day. I have two of them (both 2 TB) and they work just fine.

4JNA
Mar 14, 2010, 08:44 PM
hard drives, politics, religion... taboo subject in a public forum.

never ask, never tell... pick what you like based on what you believe. really.

they are all good, they are all bad. they ALL die. have a backup plan.

ps. i like samsung...

Raima
Mar 14, 2010, 09:16 PM
ps. i like samsung...

LMAO, that made me LOL IRL :D

easepease
Mar 15, 2010, 01:09 AM
I have always liked seagate drives... maybe it has to do with my luck??? I have put seagate drives in all my stuff, ps3, the windows machine i built, and replaced the drive in my macbook pro... done that for years and never have had a crash

Sadly I don't think I will be getting a seagate in my new imac 27 when i get it... dont want to void the warranty... :(

peskaa
Mar 15, 2010, 05:30 AM
Hitachi in all my 27" iMacs that I went through.

Seagate are used for the 1TB drives, and they click.

easepease
Mar 15, 2010, 05:41 AM
really i thought they were western digital??? hmm well thats weird that they click are they the barracuda?

So is the extra $250 worth the upgrade... just annoying that I cant upgrade myself, but you guys think I should spend the 250? I mean you can get a 2 TB external for that much giving you 3 TB total... except if it clicks bad... maybe worth the upgrade eh?

macjb
Mar 15, 2010, 06:04 AM
Ok, so I assume there are only Hitachi 2TBs in the iMacs, or can anyone confirm something else?

Did somebody try to upgrade from a 1TB WD or Seagate to a 2TB Hitachi and had the heat problems?