PDA

View Full Version : How do you make layers transparent in Photoshop 4?

King Cobra
Aug 4, 2002, 09:51 AM
I know in Photoshop 6 you use the magic eraser, but I do not have PS 6 with me. I just have an old copy of PS 4 on my iMac.

And I don't think driving 500 miles to bring the update to Photoshop back from NJ is on my list of things [for my parents] to do.

So, how do you make them transparent?

Ensign Paris
Aug 4, 2002, 10:26 AM
I think PShop 4 you can set the transparancy in the Layers panel (Opacity) but I haven't used it for a while :)

Ensign

King Cobra
Aug 4, 2002, 10:46 AM
Yeah, that was it. I tried doing all sorts of wierd :eek: such as fade steps with the paintbrush/pencil, but it didn't work. For some reason I tried the Opacity function yesterday and it looked wierd.

But it works. I'm just so used to the magic eraser with PS6. Is there a way you can make certain parts of layers transparent (just as with the M. Eraser in PS6)?

Hemingray
Aug 4, 2002, 11:25 AM
Sure, just use the regular eraser tool in airbrush mode with an opacity of less than 10% and there you go. (assuming you have a background or other layer under that, of course).

King Cobra
Aug 4, 2002, 12:16 PM
That's cool guys.

I just needed the help for my new avatar. :cool:

Choppaface
Aug 4, 2002, 11:17 PM
you can also use maskes, which is sometimes better than the eraser tools if you want to save whatever else is on the layer