PDA

View Full Version : If Panasonic can build this, the next macbook air better be freaking amazing.

fibrizo
Mar 15, 2010, 11:35 AM
*Censored* Because there's no reason to discuss something on these boards.

stridemat
Mar 15, 2010, 11:40 AM
If this is even legit it's a very ugly looking thing!

fibrizo
Mar 15, 2010, 11:42 AM
If this is even legit it's a very ugly looking thing!

It is legit. I was hoping that the specs would be matched at least by the new air, so I wouldn't have to go with another MBP. It's not a looker, but it's tough, tiny, light and uber powerful... just missing the looks part :)

Feel free to google panasonic laptops and the R9 if you don't believe me. The 3 second boot time is also intruguing. I wonder what it's doing to do that.

NT1440
Mar 15, 2010, 11:45 AM
Why would you want to type on a cramped keyboard like that?:confused:

sushi
Mar 15, 2010, 11:49 AM
I've seen this in person.

Played with this and earlier models on numerous occasions. Almost bought one. However, for me, the keyboard was just too small to be useful.

fibrizo
Mar 15, 2010, 11:52 AM
*deleted* Op is tired of bothering with people obsessed with having the highest GIGAHERTZ vs actual performance.

sanPietro98
Mar 15, 2010, 11:52 AM
It still runs Windows. And it's not too pretty either.

Scottsdale
Mar 15, 2010, 12:30 PM
There lies the problem with the Ultra Low Voltage Arrandale CPUs. They're too slow (ie. 1.06 and 1.2 GHz)! I definitely would NOT say "OMG fast." However, it might be more equivalent to the MBA's CPUs than we first consider. Since it does boost to over 2 GHz, and the MBA currently really uses a 1.6 GHz clock speed most of the time and can be as low as 800 MHz when throttled.

It only has the Intel graphics which blows big time, but it's far more capable within the Windows platform. The other features aren't all that either. I hope the MBA is 5x the computer that this little "netbook" is.

I definitely hope the MBA's Core i7 is the Low Voltage (LM) variety (not the ultra low voltage this netbook has). I most want to see a 25W TDP Core i7-640LM in the high end MBA, and I want it to be paired with an Nvidia 310m (utilizing Optimus). I believe those specs are completely realistic and I am not setting myself up for letdown in those specs. If I wished for the 330 GT, like the Sony Vaio Z, I would be setting myself up for letdown for certain. Of course there's always an ATI option, but I want it to have hybrid graphics like Optimus. It will allow us a minimum level of graphics that conserves battery but much more capability when needed.

NT1440
Mar 15, 2010, 12:32 PM
Well people do use netbooks. They also make an S9 which might be more of a direct competitor to the macbook air, which is a 12 incher at 2.2 lbs with 14 hour battery... built in DVDRW and core i5 2.4ghz... which has a large keyboard. I was merely using this to show what they can fit into a tiny package... since that would be relavent to the next macbook air.

That doesn't really look like a tiny package to me, its more brick shaped than anything.

reebzor
Mar 15, 2010, 12:39 PM
Looks a lot like the CF-T7 I have sitting on my desk. Too bad my panny is a 1.06ghz Centrino duo slow as crap.

bunit
Mar 15, 2010, 01:02 PM
That thing is FUGLY, and it runs Windows!:apple:

Darth.Titan
Mar 15, 2010, 01:13 PM
A ROUND trackpad? Seriously? :confused:

DaSal
Mar 15, 2010, 01:19 PM
The size of a netbook, yet more cpu power than the current line of macbook pros

It might beat the current Macbook Air, but how is it in any way more powerful than the current line of Macbook Pros? The CPU is only 1ghz. A Macbook Pro of the equivalent price is 2,6. Not to mention it has a dedicated GPU and more ram? Besides that probably all other components like the motherboard are of higher quality.

I mean, Macbook Air competitor sure... But it is in no way anywhere near a Macbook Pro.

Scottsdale
Mar 15, 2010, 01:58 PM
This DEFINITELY does NOT belong anywhere near the MBA forum. This belongs in "crapgadgets" somewhere.

dukebound85
Mar 15, 2010, 02:00 PM
looks ugly even if it has nice specs

niuniu
Mar 15, 2010, 02:05 PM
I think Linux is default at that price. Nice bit of kit for sure, with the space we have in our MBPs Apple should be able to blow that away with the new releases.

fibrizo
Mar 15, 2010, 04:29 PM
Ok, I think people missed my point. I don't want to buy one of these. Nor do I think it replaces a macbook air. I simply thing it has an amazing combination of parts and gives us a good idea what should be possible with the new macbook air.

As for people who say the i7-620um or i7-640um is too slow since it's 1.06 and 1.2ghz... stop with the ghz wars... they both turbo boost up to 2.13 and 2.26 ghz respectively.

Also when compared to the SU9600 (core 2 1.6ghz) performance of the 620um is about 40% faster. The 640um would be faster as well. Plus both processors would be hyperthreaded so it would make quite a few applications faster as well. The low base clock speed allows it to sip power. I honestly think that it would make a rocking macbook air with great battery life. I think that the LM series will likely go into the macbook pros.

The 18 watts is close to the 17watts with the SL9600, and that includes integrated graphics. I know intel gfx sux... But this does give them room in terms of power usage to add a lower spec optimus to the mix.

I just hope that they don't decide to do the i5-540UM. With the 640UM + intel chipset we're looking at 21.4w+optimus, Vs the sl9600 + 9400m = 17+12w = 29w. We'd end up with longer battery life most likely and better performance.

The 640um+optimus would run circles around the current high end macbook air, and probably the 13 inch non discrete macbook pros. Throw in a 2.5inch intel SSD... and you'd have an amazing machine that sips power and performs great.

While a 25w tdp processor would be nice, I think the increased battery drain and heat output especially with a discrete graphics option in a very small case might be more trouble. Besides. Apple's gotta save something for the macbook pros.

And yes, I hope that apple surprises me and I'm wrong and we get faster processors in the air lol. (anything but C2D)

lilo777
Mar 15, 2010, 04:44 PM
That doesn't really look like a tiny package to me, its more brick shaped than anything.

You mean like all MacBooks/MBPs?

This DEFINITELY does NOT belong anywhere near the MBA forum. This belongs in "crapgadgets" somewhere.

Only if you define MBA forum as a place for discussion of nice-looking useless things.

playalistic
Mar 15, 2010, 05:49 PM
My Eyes... My Eyes!!! Why God, Why Have You Forsaken Me!!!

OasisNYK
Mar 15, 2010, 05:54 PM
My Eyes... My Eyes!!! Why God, Why Have You Forsaken Me!!!

Exactly!

Raje
Mar 15, 2010, 06:29 PM
Ok, I think people missed my point. I don't want to buy one of these. Nor do I think it replaces a macbook air. I simply thing it has an amazing combination of parts and gives us a good idea what should be possible with the new macbook air.
Yes the macbook air will be absolutely amazing if Apple plays their cards right.

As for people who say the i7-620um or i7-640um is too slow since it's 1.06 and 1.2ghz... stop with the ghz wars... they both turbo boost up to 2.13 and 2.26 ghz respectively.

The only thing is turboboost is only available when plugged in and most people who will buy a MBA will have it unplugged most of the time or at least I would imagine. And a 1.2 ghz (even with hyperthreading) would most likely feel much slower than a 2.1 ghz processor.

aixporter
Mar 15, 2010, 06:47 PM
The only thing is turboboost is only available when plugged in and most people who will buy a MBA will have it unplugged most of the time or at least I would imagine. And a 1.2 ghz (even with hyperthreading) would most likely feel much slower than a 2.1 ghz processor.

Was about to say the same thing.... its an ULV.

colourfastt
Mar 15, 2010, 06:57 PM
Hint for all users: specs are NOT the end all, be all.

fibrizo
Mar 15, 2010, 07:55 PM
Yes the macbook air will be absolutely amazing if Apple plays their cards right.

Again, I have to say... it's not an apples to apples comparison for gigahertz... I don't know why this is a hard concept. a 2.0ghz atom processor is much slower than a 1.3ghz C2D. These are different platforms. Having never used a i7 ULV, I can't say anything for certain though. Anyone who has used a i7-640um please speak up about your experiences with speed.

Also turboboost has no relation to battery. This is odd disinformation from those who have never used an i5 or i7 processor. All that turbo boost means is that while the TDP of the processor is under the maxium thermal envelope. Ie you're only using 1 core, or not using the integrated graphics, the cpu will overclock itself up to 2.26ghz while the thermal characteristics allow. If your try running a 3d game on the integrated graphics, the cpu will clock down (based on power and heat consumption)

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/cpu/intel/clarkdale/graphicsturbo.jpg

I'm going to hazard a guess that most of the time you'll be running much faster than 1.2ghz. since from my own experience with an i5, I'm rarely loading 1 core, let alone 2. and when I load the 1 core, the processor overclocks.

This, along with a different processing core is why the arrandale is much much faster per clock and overall vs core 2 duo.

I could only find a few japanese benchmarks for the i7-620um and i7-640um. The 640um seems about 5% faster in benchmarks. CPU scores on PC mark 05 were 4520 and ~4750 respectively. This is actually benchmarked with the lower end 1.06 ghz i7-620um in a panasonic r9 as listed.

Benchmarks in Japanese (http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/hothot/20100128_345149.html)

This is compared to 2629 on the original macbook air rev A 1.6 ghz... and 3706 for the rev C 2.13 ghz...

Macbook air rev C benchmarks (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/08/17/review_laptop_apple_macbook_air_2ghz/print.html)

If you look at the specs, it has no SSD so the overall system score is the same on both systems due to the massively increased ssd score on the macbook air. The intel integrated graphics are slower 1777 vs 1980 with the nvidia chipset.

But my previous statement stands. As a cpu... the i7-620um and i7-640um are out of the current macbook air's league. The 1.06ghz 620um is 22% faster than the fastest current macbook air. the 1.2 ghz 640um is 28% faster.
Strap on a geforce optimus solution and you have an uber macbook air...

Oddly it seems faster than the 13 inch macbook pros too.

infact I saw the Asus UL30Jt It's a 13.3inch laptop with an i7-620/640UM + Geforce 310m w/ a 12 hour battery life. These should be the min specs for the next macbook air.

So before all the naysayers jump to conclusions, these are real numbers. Please use such before you would dismiss having an ulv in the next macbook air.

NT1440
Mar 15, 2010, 07:59 PM
You mean like all MacBooks/MBPs?

He's talking about the MBA. There is no way these components would fit in the MBA and not have it melt in front of you, the OP is mistaking footprint and thickness.

Edit: Actually, I'm not entirely sure how an ULV processor would be heatwise in a package as thin as the air.

fibrizo
Mar 15, 2010, 08:09 PM
He's talking about the MBA. There is no way these components would fit in the MBA and not have it melt in front of you, the OP is mistaking footprint and thickness.

Edit: Actually, I'm not entirely sure how an ULV processor would be heatwise in a package as thin as the air.

It would be better. the TDP of the i7-um series is 17w + 3.4 for the chipset. (+discrete graphics) 21.4 + graphics as needed.

The current setup is 17w for proc +12 watts for the graphics is 29watts of heat.

Scottsdale
Mar 15, 2010, 10:56 PM
Again, I have to say... it's not an apples to apples comparison for gigahertz... I don't know why this is a hard concept. a 2.0ghz atom processor is much slower than a 1.3ghz C2D. These are different platforms. Having never used a i7 ULV, I can't say anything for certain though. Anyone who has used a i7-640um please speak up about your experiences with speed.

Also turboboost has no relation to battery. This is odd disinformation from those who have never used an i5 or i7 processor. All that turbo boost means is that while the TDP of the processor is under the maxium thermal envelope. Ie you're only using 1 core, or not using the integrated graphics, the cpu will overclock itself up to 2.26ghz while the thermal characteristics allow. If your try running a 3d game on the integrated graphics, the cpu will clock down (based on power and heat consumption)

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/cpu/intel/clarkdale/graphicsturbo.jpg

I'm going to hazard a guess that most of the time you'll be running much faster than 1.2ghz. since from my own experience with an i5, I'm rarely loading 1 core, let alone 2. and when I load the 1 core, the processor overclocks.

This, along with a different processing core is why the arrandale is much much faster per clock and overall vs core 2 duo.

I could only find a few japanese benchmarks for the i7-620um and i7-640um. The 640um seems about 5% faster in benchmarks. CPU scores on PC mark 05 were 4520 and ~4750 respectively. This is actually benchmarked with the lower end 1.06 ghz i7-620um in a panasonic r9 as listed.

Benchmarks in Japanese (http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/hothot/20100128_345149.html)

This is compared to 2629 on the original macbook air rev A 1.6 ghz... and 3706 for the rev C 2.13 ghz...

Macbook air rev C benchmarks (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/08/17/review_laptop_apple_macbook_air_2ghz/print.html)

If you look at the specs, it has no SSD so the overall system score is the same on both systems due to the massively increased ssd score on the macbook air. The intel integrated graphics are slower 1777 vs 1980 with the nvidia chipset.

But my previous statement stands. As a cpu... the i7-620um and i7-640um are out of the current macbook air's league. The 1.06ghz 620um is 22% faster than the fastest current macbook air. the 1.2 ghz 640um is 28% faster.
Strap on a geforce optimus solution and you have an uber macbook air...

Oddly it seems faster than the 13 inch macbook pros too.

infact I saw the Asus UL30Jt It's a 13.3inch laptop with an i7-620/640UM + Geforce 310m w/ a 12 hour battery life. These should be the min specs for the next macbook air.

So before all the naysayers jump to conclusions, these are real numbers. Please use such before you would dismiss having an ulv in the next macbook air.

DON'T EVER BELIEVE INTEL'S MARKETING. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH FACTUAL SCIENTIFIC RESULTS VERIFIED VIA AN INDEPENDENT PARTY. WHERE MOST PEOPLE GO WRONG IS BELIEVING THAT PERFORMANCE ON WINDOWS OS, AS TESTED, WILL RESULT IN SIMILAR OS X RESULTS. OS X IS TERRIBLE AT VIDEO PLAYBACK AND FLASH, SO IT'S NOT THE SAME!

I CANNOT BELIEVE PEOPLE BELIEVE THIS INTEL MARKETING CRAP!

mmulin
Mar 15, 2010, 11:33 PM
OS X IS TERRIBLE AT VIDEO PLAYBACK AND FLASH, SO IT'S NOT THE SAME!!

Yes, but this is more a code issue, especially when it comes to flash.

applesupergeek
Mar 16, 2010, 12:49 AM
This panasonic looks like something out of the ugly models of the late 90s.... Sack these designers already...

kernkraft
Mar 16, 2010, 12:58 AM
Wow, I wasn't prepared for that! It looks like something from eight years ago. My brother is an architect and he used Tough Books. They are good on construction sites, where there is vibration and heavy dust.

No other computer will withstand that amount of wear. Apple hasn't got anything that is suitable for that environment. I would bet that the Air would not survive the first day. They are lovely computers, though, save the hinges and the constant noises/fan.

mmulin
Mar 16, 2010, 01:07 AM
This panasonic looks like something out of the ugly models of the late 90s.... Sack these designers already...

Actually, I don't mind the utilitarian design. At least not another piece of coloured candy. They have their own niche as the Thinkpads used to be.
And, here in Japan, this design line has been selling well for years and still does.

I just wish the metal look wouldn't be painted plastic.

Mar 16, 2010, 01:52 AM
Pansonic / Toughbook R9

Dimensions 9.01 x 7.36 x 1.15-1.67 inches
Weight 0.93 Kg / 2.08 lbs <- light

1.67 inches <- thick

Why do people compare these things to the MacBook Air when they are twice as thick? Obviously with increased vertical space inside heat is not as much an issue and you can use higher performing parts though in this case it doesn't seem especially powerful.

Scottsdale
Mar 16, 2010, 03:33 AM
1.67 inches <- thick

Why do people compare these things to the MacBook Air when they are twice as thick? Obviously with increased vertical space inside heat is not as much an issue and you can use higher performing parts though in this case it doesn't seem especially powerful.

I still feel like the nerve of this poster to create a new thread for this. There are 100 alternatives on the market that are much closer competition to the MBA and display the future component makeup of the MBA better than this netbook. Clearly the OP wasn't thinking. In addition, I want no part of this in my MBA, and I would call the new MBA a complete failure if it was comprised of those components and especially in a 2" thick case, LMAO.

fibrizo
Mar 16, 2010, 06:56 AM
I still feel like the nerve of this poster to create a new thread for this. There are 100 alternatives on the market that are much closer competition to the MBA and display the future component makeup of the MBA better than this netbook. Clearly the OP wasn't thinking. In addition, I want no part of this in my MBA, and I would call the new MBA a complete failure if it was comprised of those components and especially in a 2" thick case, LMAO.

That's because the OP knows enough about computers and design to realize that it's not the component thickness that's makes this particular laptop 1.6 inches. It's built to be tough. There's nothing in this build that makes it not able to fit into a macbook air. DDR3 memory is DDR3 memory, and intel CPU is an intel CPU. This thing is thick, but small and lightweight. If you spread it's components out over a large surface area, ie 13.3 inches it would be alot thinner.

This OP thinks probably a heck of alot more than you ever do. If you have something to contribute that involves actual thinking and not thread crapping, then please say it. I have stated many times, I want the hardware specs in a macbook air. But you fixate on, hey look how thick it is. This should probably be a statement about your comments instead actually.

DON'T EVER BELIEVE INTEL'S MARKETING. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH FACTUAL SCIENTIFIC RESULTS VERIFIED VIA AN INDEPENDENT PARTY. WHERE MOST PEOPLE GO WRONG IS BELIEVING THAT PERFORMANCE ON WINDOWS OS, AS TESTED, WILL RESULT IN SIMILAR OS X RESULTS. OS X IS TERRIBLE AT VIDEO PLAYBACK AND FLASH, SO IT'S NOT THE SAME!

I CANNOT BELIEVE PEOPLE BELIEVE THIS INTEL MARKETING CRAP!

WOW I CANNOT FIND MY CAPS LOCK KEY EITHER!

I'm not sure why actual benchmarks to compare the relative performance of 2 processors, not done by intel would not qualify as scientific results, while, you TYPING IN ALL CAPS COUNTS AS SCIENTIFIC FACT, Cpu benchmarks are not flash based. If you run the same benchmark in the same operating system it gives you probably the most comparable results, as I was trying to illustrate that the ULV series would actually do well in an macbook air. but it seems like for your sake, that It would take steve jobs saying the same thing but adding the world "magical" a few times to make it sink in.

Enjoy your ignorance. Also if Threadcrapping like this with no actual info and being a troll is what brings you joy to what must be a miserable existance, who am I to take that away from you :P

I realize that there's no active thought going on here, so I'll leave it at that, Please continue, but I won't bother to read any more of your replies, so you don't have to waste your time.

applesupergeek
Mar 16, 2010, 09:27 AM
Actually, I don't mind the utilitarian design. At least not another piece of coloured candy. They have their own niche as the Thinkpads used to be.
And, here in Japan, this design line has been selling well for years and still does.

I just wish the metal look wouldn't be painted plastic.

To tell you the truth the design is far less offensive than windows being on it.

iMacmatician
Mar 16, 2010, 10:24 AM
A ROUND trackpad? Seriously? :confused::D:D:D:D

As for people who say the i7-620um or i7-640um is too slow since it's 1.06 and 1.2ghz... stop with the ghz wars... they both turbo boost up to 2.13 and 2.26 ghz respectively.That Turbo Boost is for 1 core only. (Your subsequent point stands though.)

WOW I CANNOT FIND MY CAPS LOCK KEY EITHER!

I'm not sure why actual benchmarks to compare the relative performance of 2 processors, not done by intel would not qualify as scientific results, while, you TYPING IN ALL CAPS COUNTS AS SCIENTIFIC FACT, Cpu benchmarks are not flash based. If you run the same benchmark in the same operating system it gives you probably the most comparable results, as I was trying to illustrate that the ULV series would actually do well in an macbook air. but it seems like for your sake, that It would take steve jobs saying the same thing but adding the world "magical" a few times to make it sink in.Simple. People choose what they want to believe, rather than taking an objective look at the situation and deciding from there.

Scottsdale
Mar 16, 2010, 10:55 AM
I am not looking to make an aggravated situation worse. There is no reason to go and delete your post, call people names, and get all pissy. You have told me I don't think as well as you, called me ignorant, called me a troll (when you posted a netbook as comparison to MBA in the MBA section at "MAC" Rumors), and told me I don't actively think like you. That is actually reason enough to get you kicked out of these forums, so why don't you go delete those before you actually get yourself a bad mark on these forums.

When it comes to getting pissed off about people not seeing the vision or agreeing with you in your post, YOU POSTED A PC (and not a very good one) IN AN MBA FORUM. What kind of response did you expect?

Honestly, there is a thread already where people discuss the current competitors to the MBA, and it has some excellent ultraportables that actually have similar specs to the MBA. People include the ultraportables they think best compete with the MBA. You could have posted there without making a new thread, but even then people would ask why a netbook with that appearance and those specs? MBA fans don't like their MBA being referred to as a netbook.

With regards to Intel - I just believe a lot of people like accepting Intel's marketing as "truthful" or factual when it's nothing of any sort (especially on OS X). In addition, Windows has much better video playback apps and if Adobe had Mac API access to create Flash the right way, it would be excellent. It has offered Apple the same performance on the Mac as Flash has on Windows, but that would threaten the iTunes and App Stores so Apple doesn't let Adobe have access to the APIs necessary. My point is that the Intel CPUs are absolutely optimized for the Windows platform, and they're marketed as such. A 1.3 GHz Intel CPU and even IGP will perform very well for HD video playback and Flash content, while the 1.6 and 1.8 GHz original MBA struggled terribly with its Intel 3100 GMA. Different specs make huge differences in the Mac OS X environment.

With regard to the Panasonic Netbook, as the basis for this thread, it isn't anything like the MBA. In addition, it doesn't have the components that most people want to see in the MBA. It's not even powerful as you stated. In my opinion, it's not anything like a Mac, and I definitely don't want the MBA to have its components. This is all difference of opinion, but a lot of people are acting like you're a troll for placing this in a Mac forum focused on the MBA in the first place.

I really believe you saw the Core i7 and got happy about the Panasonic including it in a netbook. Therefore hoping if a netbook had a Core i7 perhaps an MBA would have a high-end CPU. The Core i7 is a high-end chip, but the Panasonic Netbook doesn't have any other high-end features. And the Core i7 ultra low voltage chips aren't going to be much of an upgrade over the Core 2 Duo. In addition, the come with mandatory Intel GMA IGP which is a huge performance hit over the Nvidia GPU.

If you want to talk about how great a PC is, why not go find a PC, Windows, or Netbook forum to post it in? Right now, people just think you're being a troll.

chrono1081
Mar 16, 2010, 11:19 AM
Anyone have a link to the original picture? I wanted to see it.

Steven in VA
Mar 16, 2010, 01:15 PM
One more vote for damn, is that thing ugly.
Looks like the army designed it.

Hands Sandon
Mar 16, 2010, 01:17 PM
The Air is renowned for lots of fan noise and new chips might lessen that annoyance, I think that may have been in part the reason for this thread. So here's something to think about. More power but less heat-

"The researchers created grooves that were nearly an inch long and 100 microns (about one 250th of an inch) apart. The grooves are not smooth: by carefully controlling the laser, the researchers were able to create nanoscale cavities and protrusions. These improve the wetting properties of the material and raise the possibility of moving lots of water or other coolant along them.

“Liquid goes across the surface so efficiently,” Dr. Guo said. “I think it would be an extremely efficient way of taking all the heat away.”

The fine structures also have the property of trapping photons, he said, so the grooved silicon appears pitch-black. That might also be useful for making cooler chips, because dark surfaces radiate heat better than lighter ones do."
~ http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/16/science/16obcool.html?ref=science

duke49er
Mar 16, 2010, 06:43 PM
Dude, are you trolling? That looks like a piece of junk to me.

thejadedmonkey
Mar 16, 2010, 07:01 PM

Me too.

stoconnell
Mar 17, 2010, 07:37 AM
I believe the OP was referring to the Panasonic R9, which can be found at the Dynamism site.

http://www.dynamism.com/notebooks/panasonic_r.shtml

Scottsdale
Mar 17, 2010, 02:18 PM
I believe the OP was referring to the Panasonic R9, which can be found at the Dynamism site.

http://www.dynamism.com/notebooks/panasonic_r.shtml

Surely that isn't USD $$$ is it??? WOW, $2400 for that piece of dog crap? No, I must be missing a link to USD pricing???

Jayomat
Mar 17, 2010, 02:39 PM

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/p/a/panasonic-r9-s.jpg

colourfastt
Mar 17, 2010, 02:56 PM
http://www.geekstuff4u.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/p/a/panasonic-r9-s.jpg

That thing is COMPLETELY hideous!!

Scottsdale
Mar 17, 2010, 09:40 PM
That thing is COMPLETELY hideous!!

Agreed, but what I really want to know is if it actually costs $2400 USD??? That was SHOCKING. Before I figured it was a piece of crap netbook with a nice CPU and probably would raise the price to $600... but $2400? Surely I am missing something big, like a 512 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, 5870 ATI graphics, and an OLED display! Even then, at 1.66 inches thick, it's so far from revolutionary and absolutely hideous in appearance, that it isn't going to sell nor impress any other computer manufacturer. It is PANASONIC, that should tell us something. We're not looking at a Sony, Asus, Lenovo, or even Dell... it's a Panasonic and a POS.

stoconnell
Mar 17, 2010, 10:12 PM
The prices on the dynamism site generally reflect purchasing machines in Japan and importing them to the US and possibly some kind of deal to help with warranty service, etc. It is a boutique site for people who want laptops sold in the Japanese home market. I would imagine that if Panasonic were to sell a similar unit through the toughbook.com site, it would be cheaper. I just used dynamism site since I knew it would have the R series along with specs, etc.

Scottsdale
Mar 17, 2010, 11:37 PM
The prices on the dynamism site generally reflect purchasing machines in Japan and importing them to the US and possibly some kind of deal to help with warranty service, etc. It is a boutique site for people who want laptops sold in the Japanese home market. I would imagine that if Panasonic were to sell a similar unit through the toughbook.com site, it would be cheaper. I just used dynamism site since I knew it would have the R series along with specs, etc.

It does appear that there is about a 25% hike in the pricing for other models that store sells. That still puts it at around $2k. OUCH! If going to spend that kind of money, a Sony Vaio Z does the job infinitely better, no that is insanely grandly for $1899.

How many idiotic Panasonic R9 buyers does it take to compare it to a Sony Vaio Z... and choose the Z? It really disgusts me that we're discussing this worthless piece of crap in the MBA section of MR. It's like there should be a rule against defiling the MBA in this manner... please tell me Apple that what you have in store for the MBA update is NOTHING like the R9!!!

joelypolly
Mar 18, 2010, 01:20 AM
It does appear that there is about a 25% hike in the pricing for other models that store sells. That still puts it at around $2k. OUCH! If going to spend that kind of money, a Sony Vaio Z does the job infinitely better, no that is insanely grandly for $1899.

How many idiotic Panasonic R9 buyers does it take to compare it to a Sony Vaio Z... and choose the Z? It really disgusts me that we're discussing this worthless piece of crap in the MBA section of MR. It's like there should be a rule against defiling the MBA in this manner... please tell me Apple that what you have in store for the MBA update is NOTHING like the R9!!!

Scottsdale... I think you need some time off from the boards. While you have contributed to the MBA board greatly I don't think your replies to the OP is appropriate.

The R9 is an expensive and a very specialised laptop, people who purchase it are not idiots, much like you purchasing a MBA was an informed choice they have made a choice that this laptop is appropriate. Looks aside this is a tiny laptop (10 inch screen) that weighs about 900grams with a battery life of up to 7.5 hours. The specs it has are pretty amazing Core-i7 and 2 memory slots (potentially up to 8gb of ram). If Apple were able to offer then same kind of specs in the same package as the current MBA (this is what the OP probably meant) it would make the MBA a very attractive purchase.

Now take some time and chill.

OP: I feel sorry for how you were treated on this board, normally people are more civilised than this.

robeddie
Mar 18, 2010, 05:55 AM
Scottsdale... I think you need some time off from the boards. While you have contributed to the MBA board greatly I don't think your replies to the OP is appropriate.

The R9 is an expensive and a very specialised laptop, people who purchase it are not idiots, much like you purchasing a MBA was an informed choice they have made a choice that this laptop is appropriate. Looks aside this is a tiny laptop (10 inch screen) that weighs about 900grams with a battery life of up to 7.5 hours. The specs it has are pretty amazing Core-i7 and 2 memory slots (potentially up to 8gb of ram). If Apple were able to offer then same kind of specs in the same package as the current MBA (this is what the OP probably meant) it would make the MBA a very attractive purchase.

OP: I feel sorry for how you were treated on this board, normally people are more civilised than this.

+1

Scottsdale seems compelled to repeatedly offer his opinion about everyone and everything. He dominates many of these threads and it just becomes 'the Scottsdale show'.

Grey Area
Mar 18, 2010, 07:12 AM
It is PANASONIC, that should tell us something. We're not looking at a Sony, Asus, Lenovo, or even Dell... it's a Panasonic and a POS.

Huh? It is a Panasonic, indeed. Their notebooks are made in-house in Japan (as far as that can be said for something with components from all over the world). They have always been priced higher than other manufacturers, including Apple and the ones you listed. As far as I know they are quite prestigious in Japan, but not marketed much elsewhere in the world. Their cases are made of magnesium, they claim failure rates well below other manufacturers, and in Europe (maybe globally, I don't know) the price includes a warranty against accidental damages.

Now, wether they are worth the premium is of course a different question - I guess that is where the ubiquitous car analogies come in. :) But Panasonic certainly is no bargain bin brand when it comes to notebooks.

Edited to add:
Also, the CF-R* series moves up one model number about once a year, so the CF-R9 has a history which predates netbooks, and they cannot be selling that badly if Panasonic has been making them all this time.

Scottsdale
Mar 18, 2010, 11:13 AM

Actually, this OP called me names and implied that I was an idiot, a lesser mind than the OP, and a troll. Here the OP is pitching a Panasonic Netbook as somehow what the MBA should ASPIRE TO BE??? This is an Mac/Apple forum not a Panasonic forum, so how am I the troll?

I definitely spend more time here than I should because I am dealing with medical treatment and not working. Sometimes getting my mind off of Cancer is better than dealing with it. MR is my getaway. If I get in trouble for something I have said here, and a moderator points out what I have done so wrongly, I will be glad to take any advice received. However, I am NOT going to let an OP treat me like crap and call me names or be told how inferior I am for not accepting that the MBA should aspire to be a piece of crap Panasonic R9.

I believe your OP is the problem... and he got so worked up because NOBODY could see his vision that he removed half of his post including the original post and told me how stupid I was for not seeing the vision of a $2000 Panasonic Netbook with an Arrandale ULV CPU as being where the MBA should go next. If you go back and read the OP's replies (those which are still available anyways), you will see that the OP was way out of line and told people off when they wouldn't agree to his vision. Instead of trying to make the situation worse, I calmly replied explaining that the OP should remove his name calling and personal attacks. I believe I was at least 10x the member that the OP was here.

+1

Scottsdale seems compelled to repeatedly offer his opinion about everyone and everything. He dominates many of these threads and it just becomes 'the Scottsdale show'.

Okay, are we sure we aren't talking about my reply to your bashing of your wife on another thread when I pointed out how repulsive that was to publicly treat a family member like crap on a forum??? And how you're so smart and told her how stupid she was for not listening to your every word? Or how you just have to be right or correct and prove it? Or how she cost you $900 for a few spilled drops of water. And you didn't even try to solve the problem you just blamed her so you could be right.

Or, is this that you sent me a few emails calling me names and then wouldn't even let me reply to the last one as you blocked me so you could get the last word in? Again, I didn't turn you in, and your post got deleted from by a moderator because you publicly called me names... in that I didn't call you a single name, but I pointed out it was disgusting to publicly talk about your life partner so badly.

If you don't like my posts, THEN DON'T READ THEM.

At least I am man enough to take it when I send someone a PM calling them names in public and private (wait a minute, I don't do that but YOU DID THAT TO ME), and I don't block a user's PM to get the last word in. Whatever!!! You have a lot of class... you have proven it again and again.

Why don't you publicly explain how you treated me with your PMs sent to me calling me names and then that you blocked my opportunity to reply to your name calling. If we're going to be honest here, why don't you explain your actions publicly instead of calling me names in private and then coming up with a BS excuse publicly here that I assert my opinion too often or try to make it my "show" or whatever that means.

And here in this thread... the OP called me names and I was kind enough to advise the OP to remove them before getting in trouble with moderators.

I DIDN'T CALL THE OP NAMES NOR TELL THEM HOW MUCH SMARTER I WAS THAN THEM NOR ANYTHING ELSE. I don't try to make situation worse, but I do believe in speaking my mind on a public forum as that's what they're here for. I don't call people names while doing so, but I am willing to speak my mind on what I think about their opinion just like you do about my opinion... and I can be honest with myself and others as to why I challenge somebody's opinion or support somebody else's opinion or conclude my own opinion.

Huh? It is a Panasonic, indeed. Their notebooks are made in-house in Japan (as far as that can be said for something with components from all over the world). They have always been priced higher than other manufacturers, including Apple and the ones you listed. As far as I know they are quite prestigious in Japan, but not marketed much elsewhere in the world. Their cases are made of magnesium, they claim failure rates well below other manufacturers, and in Europe (maybe globally, I don't know) the price includes a warranty against accidental damages.

Now, wether they are worth the premium is of course a different question - I guess that is where the ubiquitous car analogies come in. :) But Panasonic certainly is no bargain bin brand when it comes to notebooks.

Edited to add:
Also, the CF-R* series moves up one model number about once a year, so the CF-R9 has a history which predates netbooks, and they cannot be selling that badly if Panasonic has been making them all this time.

Well, that could be. I don't believe the Panasonic brand is something I relate to as quality or nice in any way. Perhaps I am wrong there. In the US, I don't believe the Panasonic brand is accepted as a champion of technology.

There is no way in the world I would spend more money for an R9 than a Sony Vaio Z or MacBook Air. I just believe the Panasonic looks like a piece of crap. That is PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

I like the Apple industrial simplistic looks of products like the MBA. A lot of people here like the Mac notebook appearance and looks, and most people agree this Panasonic R9 LOOKS LIKE a piece of crap when comparing it to an MBA. Most people will also say that a 1.66" thick netbook has nothing to do with an MBA. And if you read the majority of the replies here, most people find it disgusting to refer to this R9 as where the MBA should be going or what the MBA should aspire to be.

FINALLY, a few words to all. Aren't we all here to share our opinions about current and upcoming Apple products, rumors, ideas, thoughts, and reports? When sharing our opinions, often we disagree. Sometimes it leads to a heated debate, and other times it leads to agreement. Many times, people will call people names, add personal jabs, attack others, or feel humiliated when others don't agree with every word that comes out of their mouth. That is all human nature and normal reactions from some people whether we like it or not.

However, if we cannot disagree and challenge each other's ideas and opinions, what is the point of this forum? Wouldn't we all just read a magazine if we just wanted to read one person's point of a subject and be done with it? We're here to share our opinions and read the opinions of others. We are going to disagree, and some people are going to take it personal whether it's intended to be personal or not. When people don't agree with my posts and publicly reply, I passionately debate back because that's how I look at the forums, as a PLACE FOR PUBLIC DEBATE. I am not here to attack others or call them names, but I do call things as I see them and sometimes it's in reply to something that's not an Apple topic (like how someone talks about other people or calls people names or whatever). I am not here to put down other people, but I am going to speak my mind and sometimes other people aren't going to like it. I don't ask anyone else to stop speaking their mind, and I don't expect people to ask me to not speak my mind. We all have a choice... we don't have to spend our time on these forums BUT WE CHOOSE TO SPEND OUR TIME HERE ANYWAYS!

Some people are here to read the views of others, some people are here to share their views, and other people are here to attack others and cause controversy. I am not here to attack anyone. I reply to the rumors, facts, experiences, thoughts and ideas I see others post. I am not here to agree with every word every member types. If people cannot accept others criticizing their opinions and ideas, they genuinely aren't ever going to be happy sharing here, because everything we write here is criticized by all of the members. This is just the way these forums work. If we say something personal and others don't agree with it, they're going to reply whether it's about an Apple product or not.

Cannot we all just understand this is human nature? Now, LET'S DEBATE! I am eager to read some new rumors about the MBA... anyone got any?

Piplodocus
Mar 18, 2010, 12:12 PM
A ROUND trackpad? Seriously? :confused:

Well a round trackpad makes sense...

...but then only if you have a round screen! :D

robeddie
Mar 18, 2010, 12:32 PM
Another 1000 word post by Scottsdale. So much for giving it a rest. LOL.

Scottsdale
Mar 18, 2010, 12:46 PM
Another 1000 word post by Scottsdale. So much for giving it a rest. LOL.

If someone speaks the truth about you and you have no reply, "LOL." That's just the truth of this situation. Whether you're sending me PMs calling me names, having your posts edited by moderators for calling me names, blocking my PM replies after telling me off in your PMs, or +1'ing everyone who puts me down, it's all the same to me. I am going to be me, and refuse to let negative people get me down. As long as these forums are here, I will be replying with MY OWN opinions whether you like them or hate them. And I refuse to call you names or resort to your methodology of attack. Until you're a moderator here, you'll have no control over my posts.

robeddie
Mar 19, 2010, 08:03 AM
If someone speaks the truth about you and you have no reply, "LOL." That's just the truth of this situation. Whether you're sending me PMs calling me names, having your posts edited by moderators for calling me names, blocking my PM replies after telling me off in your PMs, or +1'ing everyone who puts me down, it's all the same to me. I am going to be me, and refuse to let negative people get me down. As long as these forums are here, I will be replying with MY OWN opinions whether you like them or hate them. And I refuse to call you names or resort to your methodology of attack. Until you're a moderator here, you'll have no control over my posts.

My method of attack? Your method is to flood these boards with your lomg winded posts since posting on macrumors is apparently all you do in life.

Aleco
Mar 19, 2010, 09:25 AM
I guess the screen is round too.

Nicole1980
Mar 19, 2010, 10:36 AM

Long time reader of Macrumors, first time poster - because I have to ask: Is this some kind of spat between lovers here or what? Seriously guys, get a room!

ct2k7
Mar 19, 2010, 04:43 PM
It's mean to rugged use... the laptop works even after pouring water down the keyobard, I doubt MBA would still function?

rumorguy
Mar 19, 2010, 08:58 PM
who let this troll in the door?:mad:

Scottsdale
Mar 19, 2010, 09:17 PM
who let this troll in the door?:mad:

It isn't that it's just a Panasonic. There is a competitor to the MBA thread already, and people can talk about the differences there. This poster created a new thread based on a 1.66" thick netbook, and then had the gall to say the next MBA should be what this thing is. In addition, it's fugly, has a 10" display, and an ultra low voltage CPU.

The MBA is a real MB with a low voltage CPU and an Arrandale replacement with a Core i7 low voltage is the Core i7-60LM at 2+ GHz with boost to 2.8 and 2.93 GHz. The ultra low voltage is not the direct replacement for the MBA's SL9x00 CPU, because it's a low voltage CPU.

Where the user, and original poster, really goes wrong is deleting his original post and other posts after calling people names or telling them they're not smart because they cannot see his "VISION."

It isn't like we're comparing a Sony Vaio Z here to the MBA, this is a $2k netbook that has no business replacing an MBA and definitely is "TROLL LIKE" to create a new thread at MAC RUMORS in the MBA section. People find it troll-ish to compare the MBA to a netbook, but to do it in the MBA's own section at a Mac fan site is ridiculous.

NightGeometry
Mar 20, 2010, 02:57 AM
It isn't like we're comparing a Sony Vaio Z here to the MBA, this is a $2k netbook that has no business replacing an MBA and definitely is "TROLL LIKE" to create a new thread at MAC RUMORS in the MBA section. People find it troll-ish to compare the MBA to a netbook, but to do it in the MBA's own section at a Mac fan site is ridiculous.

Drive by posting, but this is nowhere near troll like, to my mind. The OP deleting posts is a bit iffy, but considering how some people jumped down his throat, I can perfectly understand his (her?) reaction.

Claiming that it is somehow wrong to compare a MBA to a panasonic is just silly and immature, in my opinion.

robeddie
Mar 20, 2010, 09:02 AM
Drive by posting, but this is nowhere near troll like, to my mind. The OP deleting posts is a bit iffy, but considering how some people jumped down his throat, I can perfectly understand his (her?) reaction.

Claiming that it is somehow wrong to compare a MBA to a panasonic is just silly and immature, in my opinion.

Dont disagree with Scottsdale. His sig is telling: In his own fantasy mind, he's 'Einstein' and anyone who dare cross him must simply be a 'Mediocre mind'.

colourfastt
Mar 20, 2010, 10:18 AM
Dont disagree with Scottsdale. His sig is telling: In his own fantasy mind, he's 'Einstein' and anyone who dare cross him must simply be a 'Mediocre mind'.

It's annoying; those people who think they know everything disgust those of us who really do.

robeddie
Mar 20, 2010, 10:25 AM
It's annoying; those people who think they know everything disgust those of us who really do.

Hmm. I wouldn't go that far. I would never presume to know more that the mighty Scottsdale.

joelypolly
Mar 20, 2010, 10:39 AM
I believe this thread has ended its useful life so please lock it before it degrades into more name calling

Scottsdale
Mar 20, 2010, 05:39 PM

Did you not even read the quote in my signature? It somehow seems you just came up with a conclusion using a couple of the words from the quote and your preconceived hatred of someone who is willing to publicly challenge your own words.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

This quote comes from a letter, written to a professor at City College of New York, that is expressively championing Bertrand Russell as a fine candidate to teach at the College. Some believed that Russell's book, Marriage and Morals, meant that his mind was unfit to teach at the college. Russell was a fine specimen of a free thinker, but his book caused debate about his morals which ended acceptance from others. Here was a man who ultimately won a Nobel Prize as a free thinker, but who couldn't teach at a college because his free thought led to others feeling threatened by this man's assertion that we can all think for ourselves, and we don't have to accept the commonly held beliefs.

There actually is more to the paragraph and the entire quote is...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.

This quote has NOTHING to do with one feeling superior over another person in any way. I believe it sends a completely different message, and anyone can see it by just reading it within its original context.

I believe the quote means that some people are always going to challenge a viewpoint different than the accepted norm within their belief set. And when the commonly accepted viewpoint is challenged, we should praise the person willing to challenge a belief just for the point of free thinking. Beyond that, we should all freely think about the alternative side of a debate and consider whether our original commonly held viewpoints were correct or if the "new" viewpoint might have some credibility and could ultimately lead to a better understanding of the TRUTH.

However, Einstein is saying that those who follow the commonly accepted viewpoints will create conflict and strike out against anyone who is willing to express freedom of thought. Those willing to create chaos often blame the free thinker, but the real impede to progress and knowledge is the inability for the "mediocre mind" to be willing to even think freely for himself/herself.

Now, I am disgusted that someone would come to the conclusion that I think I am better than anyone else. I certainly have NEVER stated such, and I don't believe including an Einstein quote in one's signature alludes to any superiority over others.

I would kindly appreciate an apology for your publicly and privately calling me names, but I will settle with you never replying about me on these forums ever again.

For the truth will set you free... Best Wishes on your path to enlightenment.

iPhysicist
Mar 20, 2010, 06:31 PM
You better keep Einstein out of this debate. You are biased... SSD :rolleyes:

Scottsdale
Mar 20, 2010, 09:20 PM
You better keep Einstein out of this debate. You are biased... SSD :rolleyes:

Actually, I was defending myself after these three posts...

Hmm. I wouldn't go that far. I would never presume to know more that the mighty Scottsdale.

I am a huge Einstein fan, and I am not going to allow people to assume that I think I am better than someone else by misinterpreting one of my favorite Einstein quotes.

Quite frankly, I have taken no part in the name calling that others have started, but I do intend to defend myself when people go further than calling me names and somehow misinterpret a quote and blatantly state that I think I am better than other people.

The bottom line is I am here to have fun, and share ideas and rumors about Apple products and more specifically the MBA. I am not here to name call, but I do reply to posts where people bring up other topics, and that's where this all started with Robeddie. And the ironic thing was the very person, that accused me of being better than "mediocre minds" (or other people here), started this whole thing when he said he was smarter than someone, and he told that someone that they had better not do something or their Mac would be broken, and when that item was broken he publicly blamed the person and said how the person cost him money, and he didn't even assert that he tried to fix the problem because more than anything he wanted to be correct and prove a point... now maybe this is more of self reflection than anything else. Most of the time people accuse others of "thinking" a certain way it's their thinking that is obvious and not the accused.

The bottom line is people, like our OP here, shouldn't take disputing of ideas written here as a personal attack, ever... several people challenged the OP, and the OP got fed up and called people names and went back and erased half of his posts. The OP was mad that people in a Mac forum, in the MBA section, wouldn't follow along with his idea that the MBA should be like this Panasonic R9. This was NEVER a Personal Attack on the OP. People simply don't like the MBA being referred to or implied as a netbook. People don't want to think the MBA is going to go backwards to an ultra low voltage CPU. People don't think a 1.66" thick netbook is where the MBA should look for design or features. Apple fans simply don't like it and feel they need to defend Apple's products when someone belittles their favorite Apple products.

So when someone doesn't agree with your ideas, it's not rational to go ballistic, call people names, and just delete your original post and others... and that's exactly where this OP took this thread. It is ashamed because it was NEVER a personal attack against the OP. People just didn't agree with the OP's thread and posts... it's that SIMPLE.

So it's sad it has come to this, and we should all just move on. The OP was NEVER treated badly... this is essentially politics. We all have opinions, and they're often going to be different. Stating that we don't agree and don't want the MBA to go in the direction the OP hopes for isn't treating him badly... it's disagreeing with his idea. If he wanted people to agree, he could have rationally kept making arguments without calling people names and without deleting his posts and without publicly going ballistic on everyone who didn't agree with him. Furthermore, he ruined the whole thread posted here for debate... DEBATE! That is what this place is, a debate forum for APPLE fans. Cannot we all just get along and agree to disagree when we don't agree? It doesn't need to come down to name calling.

Jayomat
Mar 20, 2010, 09:23 PM
Everything said

- closed -

Jayomat
Mar 20, 2010, 09:27 PM
Sry,wrong Button.damn iPhone :p

Nicole1980
Mar 21, 2010, 06:12 AM
Children, children. Let me offer my advice.

Robeddie: Let it go. You don't like Scottsdale, you've made you're point. I'm sure there are a few others here who don't care for him either. But your behavior is just childish. Go sit in the corner.

Scottsdale:: A harder case. You're like the little boy in class who keeps talking and talking .... and talking. At first it's amusing but eventually you get under people's skin. All I can say to you is this whole thing has made both Robeddie AND you look very very childish.

I'm tired of the both of you.

jonfu
Mar 29, 2010, 05:35 PM
i was browing the web and just replying for the sake of it since theres so much retarded stuff in this thread.

- I own a CF-R3, this sports a 1.1ghz pentium-m ULV, 768megs of ram, 128G 7200 tr/m hdd and 855GM intel graphics

It has the same design as the CF-R9 of course (well, nearly).

This computer is a blast. I bought it 6 years ago and it still performs extremely well. It is very, very, very robust. Good luck breaking one of these.
It is very very very portable. So light. The MBA Looks like a big laptop in comparison. The R series are not bulky at all. If you thought the MBA is portable... thing again. The R series are very powerful and the size of an atom netbook. That's why they cost so much!

The design is a question of taste, those are very well known in japan and people like them. Personally, i like the MBA design, yet i like the R series just as much.

Now onto the technical details. The ULV pentium CPUs are the smallest and most power efficient CPUs intel makes. This means they're WAY more efficient and SMALLER than the "big" "regular" CPU of the MBA.
It means also it is slower, for the same generation of CPUs.

Arguably, the core i7 640UM is faster than the current MBA, as they made very good progress. However, the integrated graphics are not good. They're better than previous intel graphics by a large margin but still sucks compared to a real graphic card like the ones provided by nvidia

ps: heres some real drawback of the R series actually:
- the shutting door of the ethernet port looks cheap (it wont break, but looks like crap)
- the integrated speaker is horrible - low sound and bad quality
- the in/out audio ports are pretty cheap - there's static noise coming in/out from it (not a lot, but still)

and finally "if panasonic can build this blabla"... panasonic did these laptops 8 years ago, so apple is very very late to the game, if they ever release such a laptop (they're very "niche market" laptops anyway)