PDA

View Full Version : Rage 128 Pro - Fanless?

lind0834
Sep 7, 2004, 05:40 AM
So the little fan on my Rage 128 Pro in my Sawtooth has started to give up the ghost. It's really really noisy.

I don't have any thing in any of the PCI slots so it's basically only the vid card getting cooled by the monster 120mm in the sheath. Would it be awful to just unplug the fan to keep everything quiet? I only rarely ever run anything 3D, and I can plan to never do it again.

If there was a reliable way to remove the current heatsink fan, I could replace it with a fat old Athlon Heatsink minus the fan, and I know that would do just fine.

IJ Reilly
Sep 7, 2004, 05:41 PM
Not all of the RagePro 128 cards even had fans, so I'm guessing you'd be okay provided you're not running the Mac for long hours in a warm environment. And besides, if the RagePro did give up the ghost, that'd give you a good excuse to upgrade. I think you could score a much better GeForce 4MX for around $100.00.

hanq
Sep 8, 2004, 12:28 PM
yeah just get a new card. and the heatsink swap would work. my 128 rage pro in my cube doesn't have a fan and it's fine. and the heatsink on it is tiny too.

Mord
Sep 8, 2004, 01:22 PM
get yourselfa radeon 9000 if you need adc or a flashed card from ebay if you do not

cluthz
Sep 9, 2004, 04:37 PM
So the little fan on my Rage 128 Pro in my Sawtooth has started to give up the ghost. It's really really noisy.

I don't have any thing in any of the PCI slots so it's basically only the vid card getting cooled by the monster 120mm in the sheath. Would it be awful to just unplug the fan to keep everything quiet? I only rarely ever run anything 3D, and I can plan to never do it again.

If there was a reliable way to remove the current heatsink fan, I could replace it with a fat old Athlon Heatsink minus the fan, and I know that would do just fine.

The old Rage 128 pro in my sawtooth doesn't have a fan either.
I replaced two years ago (when OWC had Geforce 4mx for sale ($79 i think)).
The GF4mx is also fanless.

spaceballl
Sep 12, 2004, 12:01 AM
The GF4mx is also fanless.
It also sucks.

Jimong5
Sep 12, 2004, 12:53 AM
Not all of the RagePro 128 cards even had fans, so I'm guessing you'd be okay provided you're not running the Mac for long hours in a warm environment. And besides, if the RagePro did give up the ghost, that'd give you a good excuse to upgrade. I think you could score a much better GeForce 4MX for around $100.00.

id be willing to sell my 9000 for $100. I recently upgraded to a 9700 and dont need it anymore. ive held off on ebay for the main reason being I dont trust it 100%. that, and im a bit lazy.

Mord
Sep 12, 2004, 10:03 AM
I'm assuming that that is a 64MB radeon 9000, which is actually a bit faster than the 128MB 9000 at all but the highest resolutions because they downclocked it for no apparent reason probably just to piss me off.

cluthz
Sep 12, 2004, 10:25 AM
It also sucks.

Well, the gf4mx isn't the best card around,
but it is a HUGE step from the rage 128!
Anyway, the computer only has 2x agp and 350-500 mhz G4,
so there is no use to toss in more gfx-power than a gf4mx or raden 9000/8500

Mord
Sep 12, 2004, 10:34 AM
depends on the usage as some stuff is agp bus dependent and some stuff is now.

get a 9000 from owc or ebay or that dude.

or if you want to save some money just put some oil in the fan motor it's not to hard to do just add a bit and spin it around.

Dreadnought
Sep 12, 2004, 11:14 AM
depends on the usage as some stuff is agp bus dependent and some stuff is now.

get a 9000 from owc or ebay or that dude.

or if you want to save some money just put some oil in the fan motor it's not to hard to do just add a bit and spin it around.

Don't put too much oil in, else the inside of your machine is covered with it! A drup is already too much!! It could also be a bearing, in that case oil doesn't work.

Forced Perfect
Sep 15, 2004, 05:26 AM
get yourselfa radeon 9000 if you need adc or a flashed card from ebay if you do not

The ADC port doesn't work on a Sawtooth. Sawtooth's don't have the special 28 volt* addition to the AGP port to support a powered monitor via ADC. I think you can get around that using a powered adapter, but that's kind of pointless.

As for the fans, I know the Rage 128 Pro's almost always have fans, but the first Sawtooth G4s shipped with plain Rage 128's that never have fans.

I have two Pros one with a fan and one without. Oh, my Radeon 9000 Pro doesn't have one, either. 8500's do, though.

*I think it is 28 volt.