PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Steam games on 27" iMac core2duo with bootcamp?

iansilv
Mar 20, 2010, 12:53 PM
I was wondering if anyone could post experiences. I am about to pull the trigger on an iMac for my wife, and i was going to save 300$ and get the core2duo processor. Anyone use it for Team fortress 2, half life 2, etc. on bootcamp? I am trying to gauge performance for when they release steam for mac in April, and figure out if I really need to spend extra for the i5 and 4850 graphics.
Thank you for all input/opinions.

LtRammstein
Mar 22, 2010, 09:58 AM
I don't have a 27" iMac Core2, but I can tell you this:

Base your system setup to what Valve recommends for playing the game. It sounds like it'll run just fine, but you can't be too cautious. http://store.steampowered.com has the information you need.

thrustinj
Apr 23, 2010, 12:09 PM
I've tried it using my 24" inch with XP on bootcamp. Steam works great. The games do not. I tried demos for Little Ninjas and Dirt2. Neither would launch. I've also had issues with Need For Speed: World beta 4 not working either. Not sure if that one is a beta issue (the first beta worked) or XP/Bootcamp.

I'm waiting for the Mac Steam client to come out now.

rageguy
Apr 23, 2010, 04:02 PM
OP, your computer will be overkill. i just bought a 21.5" imac with the ati card that is weaker than your's. l4d2, tf2, mw2 all max resolution, max settings, entirely smooth.

jbyun04
Apr 27, 2010, 03:22 AM
I play Counter-Strike Source on XP Bootcamp on max settings and get about 120fps on average. Yours should be just fine. ;)