Mar 22, 2010, 11:36 PM
If Mozilla produces a iPad version of Firefox

Would you want it?

MacDawg
Mar 22, 2010, 11:38 PM
I don't use it on my Mac now :o

kdesign7
Mar 22, 2010, 11:49 PM
I have never been a fan of FireFox, so more than likely nope. Not for me... :) But I don't doubt that they would create an outstanding App the iPad.

Who knows, if they created an App for the iPad and it peaked my interest, I'd check it out.

:)

I'm wondering if SkyFire will ever get into developing for the iPad! Check them out.

leomac08
Mar 23, 2010, 12:09 AM
I like the style and form of Firefox. With the arrows and high tech stuff.:p

vini-vidi-vici
Mar 23, 2010, 12:34 AM
Won't happen - Apple won't allow it on the iTunes store as it competes directly with Safari.

GadgetX
Mar 23, 2010, 12:40 AM
Won't happen - Apple won't allow it on the iTunes store as it competes directly with Safari.
There are several browser apps on the App store right now. I use perfect browser quite frequently because it allows full screen browsing.

If Mozilla comes out with a decent app I would definitely use it. Firefox is the only browser I use on my PC and would never even consider using another one. That being said, I have no problems with mobile safari on the iPhone but it remains to be seen how great it will be on the iPad.

MikhailT
Mar 23, 2010, 12:43 AM
I just don't see the point unless they'll be able to port extensions as well. Safari is faster than Firefox, and Firefox can get a bit slower with more extensions you pile on, not to mention taking up more memory.

The question is, how different is Safari for iPad from Safari on Mac and how rapidly will they update Safari on the iPad?

The latest webkit nightly build is very fast, on par with Chrome right now. It would be awesome if Apple could adapt to faster updates for Safari on the iPad if it is the same client with just a different interface.

I don't think we'll see any other alternative browsers on the iPad.

MikhailT
Mar 23, 2010, 12:44 AM
There are several browser apps on the App store right now. I use perfect browser quite frequently because it allows full screen browsing.

If Mozilla comes out with a decent app I would definitely use it. Firefox is the only browser I use on my PC and would never even consider using another one. That being said, I have no problems with mobile safari on the iPhone but it remains to be seen how great it will be on the iPad.

If I recall correctly, they all use Safari underneath, that's why they can get away with it. It's just wrappers around Safari.

gwynne
Mar 23, 2010, 06:28 AM
I'd be happy with an app that does the equivalent of Firefox's adblock plugin.

markosb
Mar 23, 2010, 06:43 AM
I believe Mozilla dropped that project, due to Apple's constricting ways. I guess Opera is going to try though. I would try it, but Safari works pretty good on the iPad. I use Firefox on my computers, quite honestly it doesn't matter to me whatever works. I found that Foxmarks had a version for IE so I installed it and now my bookmarks sync to my iPod and soon to be iPad.

I get where Apple is going with not copying functionality, it would be nice to have a choice of browsers... Would it be difficult for one of the browser makers to make their browser default... meaning when you click a link in email it opens Opera or Firefox instead of Safari.

markosb
Mar 23, 2010, 06:45 AM

NoScript does fine, I rarely come across enough ad's that are annoying enough to block wit adblock... the built in ad blocker for Firefox does a sufficient job on blocking pop-ups... NoScript does the rest.

M87
Mar 23, 2010, 07:08 AM
No, I probably would not. I use safari on the desktop though.

EssentialParado
Mar 23, 2010, 07:18 AM
Over time, Firefox has simply lagged behind in the browser race; it's become slow, clunky, and has the least HTML5 support. It's a shame, because it has the second biggest marketshare now, so it's almost become a slightly lesser evil IE. :rolleyes:

Chupa Chupa
Mar 23, 2010, 07:22 AM
I use it on my Mac b/c of all the available plugins like NoScripts, AdBlock, etc. W/o plugins FireFox is just another browser, and I'm not sure if a) plugins are needed or desirable on an iPad and b) if Apple would even allow them.

So my initial answer would be no. I'd need a reason to use a browser other than Safari.

stewie1
Mar 23, 2010, 09:14 AM
FF rules because of the amazing range of plugins. Eventually, if the iPad is going to be taken seriously, it needs to incorporate more advanced browsing features that are available on the desktop. Mobile Safari is okay on a phone in 5 minute bursts, but I wouldn't want to use it for hours on end.

ciaran00
Mar 23, 2010, 01:02 PM

Adblock's available on cydia :)

Bytor65
Mar 23, 2010, 01:30 PM

With no Flash capability, 98% of annoying ads will already be gone. :D

winkg
Apr 9, 2010, 12:05 PM
Yes, I would use Firefox on my iPad, because I'd like to sync my bookmarks with my iMac, Dell laptop, and Acer netbook.

gwynne
Apr 9, 2010, 12:30 PM
Holy thread necromancy, batman!

To reply to myself up there, I ended up using an adblock-proxy on my network and my Safari traffic routes through it. Good to know about Cydia though.

Dorkington
Apr 9, 2010, 12:41 PM
If it had adblock, I'd be all over it like a fat kid on cake.

H00513R
Apr 9, 2010, 12:56 PM
Yep, it's still my preferred browser. But it would depend on the translation for the iPad.

Julien
Apr 9, 2010, 01:19 PM
Yes, I would use Firefox on my iPad, because I'd like to sync my bookmarks with my iMac, Dell laptop, and Acer netbook.

Just use Xmarks (http://www.xmarks.com/) and you are covered for all browsers.

chriszzz
Apr 9, 2010, 02:02 PM
No. I don't need that bloated, clunky, crashy experience on an iPad.

iLiveUdie
Apr 9, 2010, 02:05 PM
I would use it!

PaperQueen
Apr 15, 2010, 09:14 AM
FF rules because of the amazing range of plugins. Eventually, if the iPad is going to be taken seriously, it needs to incorporate more advanced browsing features that are available on the desktop. Mobile Safari is okay on a phone in 5 minute bursts, but I wouldn't want to use it for hours on end.

Agreed. Iím a big fan of AdBlock, NoScript, Screengrab, SiteAdvisor, Download Helper, Forecast Fox, Puny URL...not to mention the fact saving bookmarks is exponentially more logical (the ability to create new bookmarks folders inside others without having to additionally go through the Bookmark menu alone is worth its weight in gold).

Each browser has its pros and consómore often than not, if Iím in Safari for one reason or another, I find myself rolling my eyes over some missing feature, then flipping back to Firefox. Wouldnít use Safari at all if not for the fact I keep hitting snags on Facebook with FF (odd, since others donít seem to have the same issue).

Just my two cents. Iíd jump on FF for iPad in a heartbeat.

ClaireL
Apr 15, 2010, 09:42 AM
The Atomic Web Browser for iPad has AdBlock and True Tabs. I don't use Safari anymore.

CJS7070
Apr 15, 2010, 09:53 AM
I used Firefox back in my Windows days, but now that I have my Macs, I'm all for Safari. Wouldn't really want to use Firefox on the iPad, either.

Pared
Apr 15, 2010, 09:56 AM
The Atomic Web Browser for iPad has AdBlock and True Tabs. I don't use Safari anymore.

This is right. Atomic is actually pretty damn good.

andyblila
Apr 15, 2010, 09:56 AM
I don't use Firefox that much. Safari fits my bill.

ct2k7
Apr 15, 2010, 10:02 AM
You won't see it. SDK forbids javascript interpreters.

vw195
Apr 15, 2010, 10:20 AM
You won't see it. SDK forbids javascript interpreters.

Ahh so that is why mini was approved: all its javascript is serverside so that is ok?

I guess I might as well not hold out for chrome :(

ct2k7
Apr 15, 2010, 10:28 AM
Ahh so that is why mini was approved: all its javascript is serverside so that is ok?

I guess I might as well not hold out for chrome :(

Yep, everything is processed on the server side.

Sleazy E
Apr 15, 2010, 10:37 AM
wouldn't be interested. i stopped using firefox as my primary browser a while back.

anthonymoody
Apr 15, 2010, 10:38 AM
Alt browsers become appealing to me IF they can provide full googledocs support on the iPad...

bbadalucco
Apr 15, 2010, 10:49 AM

OPERA MINI...nuff said

dwd3885
Apr 15, 2010, 10:49 AM
Opera isn't based on Safari webkit, so that's where the shocker was when Apple approved Opera Mini.

Firefox is open source and I don't think it's developed using Apple standards for iPhone apps. So while it would be nice to have Firefox on iPad, it ain't gonna happen.

THFourteen
Apr 15, 2010, 11:50 AM
Does anyone think there will be any flash-enabled browsers post-jailbreak?

Jethrotoe
Apr 15, 2010, 08:33 PM
Yep, it's still my preferred browser. But it would depend on the translation for the iPad.

Same here. I agree.

laokai
Apr 15, 2010, 08:38 PM
Don't care for FF, but would love to see Chrome with Google Docs functionality.

elppa
Apr 15, 2010, 08:43 PM
Up until recently, Firefox just wasn't technically capable of running on a mobile device like iPad or iPhone. Too bloated.

I mean look how well Firefox (Fennec) runs on all the other mobile devices - oh, that's right it is only available for now on one device, the ultra powerful Nokia N900.

Mitchrapp
Apr 15, 2010, 08:45 PM
I've always been a FF user but I also like Safari. I could see me using FF on some websites, ESPN forum for one, where the formatting is horrible with Safari.

Digiimorgan
Apr 28, 2010, 01:44 PM
yes yes yes yes, Please please please. would use it lets get it built!!!!

kthrynileen
May 18, 2010, 02:02 AM
I've never had any issues w/Firefox but I have had some issues w/Safari. My company's webmail is nearly unusable in Safari - the menu links just don't work whereas with Firefox we found functions we didn't even know we had. And we're all using Macs! I'd get Firefox in a heartbeat.

erickeahey
Jun 19, 2010, 10:21 AM
Absolutely. Firefox is the most stable, fastest browser on the computer (and has awesome customizable features), and hopefully they would be as successful on iPad.

ditzy
Jun 19, 2010, 10:24 AM
If it is anything like the desktop version definitely not.

RoarinRow
Jun 19, 2010, 10:29 AM

I'm using the app, 'Perfect Browser' as well. It's very similar to FF, even has private mode, open tabs from last session, etc.

iFerd
Jun 19, 2010, 10:40 AM
If I recall correctly, they all use Safari underneath, that's why they can get away with it. It's just wrappers around Safari.
I'm sure that's it, and also the reason we won't see Firefox on any of our iDevices.

itchystiches
Jun 19, 2010, 03:59 PM
+1 for Atomic. I haven't used perfect browser or anything else bar safari on the ipad so far but its certainly a vast improvement on safari.

OGDaniel
Jun 19, 2010, 04:20 PM
There's no way a third-party browser will ever match the proficiency of Safari, specially made for the iPad. Firefox is known for crashing more than any other browser anyway.

The Catalyst
Jun 19, 2010, 07:22 PM
I use FF exclusively on many computers while at work and none of them have ever crashed.

Justin122
Jun 20, 2010, 09:39 AM
I use FF exclusively on many computers while at work and none of them have ever crashed.

+1

Southern Dad
Jun 20, 2010, 10:19 AM
All the add ins in Firefox really slows it down. While being able to change the skin, tab appearance, reload, etc. is neat I want speed. The add in I really liked was Foxmarks/X-Marks but now that Mobile Me does that to Safari, I'm a happy camper with Safari on my Macs and iPad but I use Chrome on the Windows based machines.

AshkanTalk
Nov 10, 2010, 01:04 AM
I would mainly want FF for it's plugins. For example right now there a couple of plugins I miss a lot when brows the web on ipad: saving my bookmarks in delicious, and the stumble upon plugin. today I am trying to add a blog to my RSS and that link doesn't work. There is always something missing which makes me have to go back to my laptop.

fel10
Nov 10, 2010, 01:20 AM
I actually find Firefox better than Safari on my Macbook Pro. Especially using the inertia scrolling. Scrolling on firefox is super smooth, can't say the same about safari though.

Would be nice to see a iPad version of firefox, but very unlikely.

SnowLeopard2008
Nov 10, 2010, 03:27 AM
Firefox is not only super slow when compared with Webkit-powered web browsers like Chrome and Safari, it's also very unstable. If you use add ons and plug ins, stability drops like a rock in Grand Canyon. It's very bloated and something I definitely do not want to see in the App Store. A web browser should browse the web first and foremost. Safari has the best performance by far with Chrome following close behind. A long ways behind is Firefox. Safari on my Mac and iOS devices gives me the best experience. Clean, simple and blazing fast performance. Everything Firefox is not.

LinMac
Nov 10, 2010, 04:06 AM
A lot just to say "I like Webkit".

Chrome and Safari are both very fast. They run Javascript like lightning and offer a great deal of hope for lightweight browsers. There is just one minor problem: extensions. Firefox sets the standard for capable extensions such as Noscript, Flashblock, Adblock Plus, Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper, etc. Is Chrome faster or lighter weight than Firefox? Probably. Does Firefox need to catch up? Sure. Are Safari and Chrome as fast when they're downloading an extra 750KB from slow overloaded ad servers? No.

Chrome's adblock extension (last I checked) just hides the ads instead of not downloading them. It also doesn't block as effectively as Adblock Plus with the Element Hiding Helper leaving a considerable number of ads visible.

Firefox 4.0b6 might not be perfect, but it gets me through day to day and I look forward to the public release. May Firefox 3.x die a slow merciless death after 4.0 is out.

Edit: Do I want Firefox on the iPad? Eh, I might try it if it it was released, but my adblock solution on the iPad is acceptable for now considering the amount of browsing I do on it.

Maplefoot
Feb 24, 2011, 02:16 PM
If you use your browser for anything academic, Firefox is the only one as it has complete Math ML support.

If your browser can't display the right column of this properly, it doesn't do the job:

https://www.eyeasme.com/Joe/MathML/MathML_browser_test

I don't know why Apple hasn't moved to fix up Safari's Math ML support as the school market is so important to them.

Until the iPad can display equations, it's a bust in the ed. market.

So I would go for it on the iPad if it included the desktop's Math ML support.

altitudetac
Feb 27, 2011, 06:19 PM
firefox all the way, i've been using this there browser for years now comparing other browsers, addblock and script is actually a big thing for most of us, who always wants ads that suddenly pops up on your screen when you are in the middle of something

iPadLad
Mar 1, 2011, 04:28 PM
Safari works well for me, Opera mini is there as a backup.

Firefox I use for development but it wouldn't be necessary for the iPad...for me.

abl7635
Nov 1, 2011, 07:24 PM
Yes, I was actually just using a search engine (duck duck go) to see if iPad has a Firefox browser. For me the essential plugins I must have - adblock plus, xmarks, lastpass, then the ones I could live without - noscript, ghostscript/beeftaco.

I have Firefox configured in a way that the url bar only suggests bookmarks, I have bookmarks configured (whenever possible) to go to the login page of various websites, I log in once with lastpass, and lastpass logs me into all the websites automatically. It's bliss. And I'd definitely want that on a device that uses soft keys or tiny hard keys, not to mention it's a easy device for someone to pick up and steal, so security would be a big concern for me.

Kozyinn
Jan 23, 2012, 12:24 AM
I'd use Firefox on an iPad. Especially if you could sync bookmarks, etc. like you can with other devices.

gquiring
Jan 26, 2012, 07:48 PM
I'd be happy with an app that does the equivalent of Firefox's adblock plugin.You should try the Atomic Browser, it's very good and has ad blocking ability built in.

macbookman83
Jan 26, 2012, 09:53 PM
I swifter is also good and plays flash.

jlheureux
Mar 20, 2012, 10:32 AM
iCab on the iPad is a good substitute. You can sync bookmarks via Dropbox.

If Mozilla produces a iPad version of Firefox

Would you want it?