PDA

View Full Version : I wish you could use a mouse with Ipad

JimKirk
Mar 23, 2010, 12:08 PM
Since the Ipad simulator works with a mouse I think the OS would support it.

It will just be weird having the keyboard and having touch the screen.

eawmp1
Mar 23, 2010, 12:26 PM
In 1984, I felt weird using a mouse after interfacing with a computer via keyboard. Human-computer interfacing is evolving. You'll do fine.

dejo
Mar 23, 2010, 12:34 PM
You might think, but you'd be wrong. The OS that the Simulator runs is a simulated OS; it's not the same thing. Mouse events are converted to touch events. Rotations triggered via the Hardware menu are converted to rotation events. Etc. They don't even run the same compiled code (x86 vs. arm).

francisq
Mar 23, 2010, 12:37 PM
that's what macbook's are for ;)

Alchematron
Mar 23, 2010, 01:00 PM
In 1984, I felt weird using a mouse after interfacing with a computer via keyboard.

Been there done that!

Sleazy E
Mar 23, 2010, 01:11 PM

hmmm i actually prefer using my macbook pro touchpad over my magic mouse.

CristobalHuet
Mar 23, 2010, 01:17 PM

What the Magic Mouse should have been:
http://blog.boastr.net/

I love mine infinitely now. :) :cool:

yyy
Mar 23, 2010, 01:22 PM
And wouldn't it be weird to use a keyboard and mouse with a tablet? The external keyboard is for people who need to type a long article once in a while so the lack of a mouse wouldn't be an issue. If you think you'll have to type too often you should consider a laptop instead.

4DThinker
Mar 23, 2010, 01:59 PM
I agree with the OP. The keyboard dock looks as if you could break it if you tapped the iPad a little too energetically. It's one thing nice about the android OS that if you hook up a mouse, a mouse arrow appears on the screen and is functional.

r0k
Mar 23, 2010, 02:04 PM
I agree. I'd like to be able to use the iPad with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse in "laptop mode" if I choose to. Then I'd be able to grab the screen, run out the door and have a tablet as soon as I got out of range of the bt mouse and keyboard or switched them off using some control shown on the touchscreen. I would hate to think that we will have to resort to jailbreaking to get basic stuff like an external mouse to work. :eek:

macduke
Mar 23, 2010, 02:31 PM

Haha, have you actually tried using a mouse on the iPad simulator? Trust me, if you had, you'd not want to use a mouse with this device. Apple would have to completely strip out touch events and convert to a different mode when its plugged in. Things like selecting text, saving images flicking through things, trying to zoom with a pinch, etc become really weird when you use a mouse. Its not very intuitive at all and actually kind of a pain.

cualexander
Mar 23, 2010, 03:15 PM
I've used a mouse with the iPhone before. If you jailbreak it and put VNC server on it, you can use a mouse and you could do almost everything. You couldn't pinch zoom though, so you'd have to double tap for web browsing. It worked pretty well though.

But I'd love an app like I used to have years ago for my pocketpc. There was an app where if my pocketpc was cradled to the computer, you could basically just move the mouse off the screen. Like if you moved the mouse to the far edges of the screen it would disappear and reappear on the pocketpc screen. Then you would just move it off the pocketpc screen and it would pop back on the desktop. So you could control the pocketpc easily without ever giving up mouse control. It was a sweet app and I would love the ability to do that on the iPad. Apple would have to allow server apps on the iPad itself though.

AJsAWiz
Mar 23, 2010, 03:20 PM

Yep :o

darngooddesign
Mar 23, 2010, 03:45 PM

Your computer has a pointer, the iPad doesn't.

eawmp1
Mar 23, 2010, 03:59 PM

The user has a pointer...it's called an index finger.

While typing you have to move your hand from the keyboard to mouse. You will adapt to touching the screen. It's a different interface for a different OS. Adapt or die.

Runt888
Mar 23, 2010, 03:59 PM

The simulator only really works with single finger gestures, and any except for tapping (which directly maps to a click) is a pain. It can simulate two-finger gestures, but you can't specify where your second finger is placed (it's based on where your mouse, ie first finger, is) so it's very limited.

bbydon
Mar 23, 2010, 05:08 PM
The iPad is not a laptop and shouldn't be used like one.
If you want a mouse you get a laptop.

ditzy
Mar 23, 2010, 06:12 PM
I'm not sure that I get the reason for having a mouse with a tablet. Ir being a touch OS is really the whole point.

PCClone
Mar 23, 2010, 07:23 PM
I wish the iPad could just document my thoughts. Mice, keyboards and gestures are all out dated. Well except for the middle finger gesture - that one is useful.

darngooddesign
Mar 24, 2010, 09:21 AM

The user has a pointer...it's called an index finger.

While typing you have to move your hand from the keyboard to mouse. You will adapt to touching the screen. It's a different interface for a different OS. Adapt or die.

First of all, the user has multiple fingers for input, otherwise known as multitouch.

Secondly, assuming the iPad only registers a single input, the index finger, how do you plan on moving this input device with a mouse. There is no visible pointer to see while moving the mouse. Which is what the OP was referring to.

Sounds Good
Apr 3, 2010, 03:11 PM
I wish you could use a mouse with Ipad
I've been thinking the same thing. Especially after seeing this picture:

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=220666&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1270322186

jonutarr
Apr 12, 2010, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by francisq View Post
that's what macbook's are for

The iPad is not a laptop and shouldn't be used like one.
If you want a mouse you get a laptop.

:rolleyes: Damn I hate stupid fanboy comments like these, are you guys saying I should get a macbook instead cos there are thinks I need from an ipad that can't be done with a macbook

so do you want me to buy both?

not all of us can afford or even want every apple product made, I shouldn't have to spend another $1300 just so I can use a mouse with a portable device, If it can be done with a jailbroken apple should implement it

nsorrelle
Apr 12, 2010, 09:29 PM
:rolleyes: Damn I hate stupid fanboy comments like these, are you guys saying I should get a macbook instead cos there are thinks I need from an ipad that can't be done with a macbook

not all of us can afford or even want every apple product made, I shouldn't have to spend another $1300 just so I can use a mouse with a portable device, If it can be done with a jailbroken apple should implement it

Agreed. It wouldn't kill Apple to make it an option. If there was no physical keyboard option, would people really still be saying "adapt or die"?

kirchnrd
Apr 12, 2010, 09:37 PM

BLASPHEMY! :apple: :) :apple:

Nash Bridges
Apr 12, 2010, 09:40 PM

When computers evolve to the point where they interface solely using voice recognition there will be those who wish they could still use a touch screen!

Simgar988
Apr 12, 2010, 09:43 PM
this thread is hurting my head:mad:

BruiserBear
Apr 12, 2010, 09:46 PM
Haha, have you actually tried using a mouse on the iPad simulator? Trust me, if you had, you'd not want to use a mouse with this device. Apple would have to completely strip out touch events and convert to a different mode when its plugged in. Things like selecting text, saving images flicking through things, trying to zoom with a pinch, etc become really weird when you use a mouse. Its not very intuitive at all and actually kind of a pain.

This is my favorite thing in threads like this. People demanding they get features that would fundamentally break the experience of the interface. It's like the iPhone users who desperately want to put a wildly busy custom background behind the iPhone home screen even though 99% of them will look horrendous.

http://www.tgdaily.com/images/stories/article_images/apple/iphone_home_with_cydia.jpg

nsorrelle
Apr 12, 2010, 09:46 PM
When computers evolve to the point where they interface solely using voice recognition there will be those who wish they could still use a touch screen!

When typing a paper/notes on the iPad, a mouse would allow for much faster and accurate editing than your finger. This is not questionable.

doug in albq
Apr 12, 2010, 09:50 PM
What about iPhone or ipod touch " remote" touchscreen…?

ciaran00
Apr 12, 2010, 10:06 PM
This is my favorite thing in threads like this. People demanding they get features that would fundamentally break the experience of the interface. It's like the iPhone users who desperately want to put a wildly busy custom background behind the iPhone home screen even though 99% of them will look horrendous.
Because somehow your opinion of what the experience should be is magically more awesome than anyone else's? Bosspaper gives you wallpaper dimming. The person in that screenshot preferred not to use it.

Apple allows wallpapers in OS 4.

lilo777
Apr 12, 2010, 10:40 PM

Just replace your mouse with a normal one ;)

jonutarr
Apr 13, 2010, 12:36 AM
It's just a matter of ergonomics, if was to use the ipad for more that an hour interactively I would get strain, if you hand are the same level as you eyes you are straining you neck or you arms, it's an unnatural uncomfortable position

Simgar988
Apr 13, 2010, 12:54 AM
It's just a matter of ergonomics, if was to use the ipad for more that an hour interactively I would get strain, if you hand are the same level as you eyes you are straining you neck or you arms, it's an unnatural uncomfortable position

i feel this way about having to uncomfortably hold my macbook pro. Too heavy and bulky

Axemantitan
Sep 21, 2010, 11:14 PM
Use iPad with Magic Mouse [Video] (http://www.redmondpie.com/control-ipad-with-magic-mouse-9140743/)

SteveKnobs
Sep 21, 2010, 11:41 PM
I shouldn't have to spend another $1300 just so I can use a mouse with a portable device, If it can be done with a jailbroken apple should implement it

You shouldn't have bought an iPad then dude. There are a TON of features that apple hasn't implemented in their products, and it's because they care about QUALITY, not quantity. The iPad was made to use as a multi-touch, portable device, not to replace laptops or desktops. I really don't even think that many people use a keyboard with their iPad, so you can imagine that there are only a handful of people that would want to use a mouse. Given the responses in this thread, it looks like it's just you and maybe 2 other people haha.

King Antonius
Sep 22, 2010, 02:06 AM
You can as long as you are Jailbroken. I think the app is called something like btstack mouse.

Anyway, the only time i used it was when playing transport tycoon. Makes clicking those little buttins much easier.

MacRumorUser
Sep 22, 2010, 02:55 AM
Jailbreak.

BTStack Mouse

Done.

But seriously this thread is :rolleyes: big time. ;)

Sounds Good
Sep 22, 2010, 07:40 AM
There are a TON of features that apple hasn't implemented in their products, and it's because they care about QUALITY, not quantity.
Ugggh. I absolutely HATE this mentality.

"Let's NOT add features that some users might make use of. Why? QUALITY!"

:rolleyes:

wolfpackfan
Sep 22, 2010, 07:52 AM
I wouldn't mind having a mouse on my iPad when I use VNC to go back to my Mac. It would make using my Mac programs a lot easier.

SteveKnobs
Sep 22, 2010, 08:17 AM
Ugggh. I absolutely HATE this mentality.

"Let's NOT add features that some users might make use of. Why? QUALITY!"

:rolleyes:

The keyword there is SOME. Yes, some users might make use of them. But why half-ass it at the expense of the user experience so a small niche of users can't complain on MacRumors and the like? There is a reason they're a billion dollar company people, and it's probably because they don't have people like you guys making the decisions about their products. You don't work for Acer or Dell do you?:D

Sounds Good
Sep 22, 2010, 08:30 AM
...why half-ass it at the expense of the user experience so a small niche of users can't complain on MacRumors and the like?
Do you seriously think that having the option to use a mouse would hurt the user experience?

SteveKnobs
Sep 22, 2010, 08:58 AM
Do you seriously think that having the option to use a mouse would hurt the user experience?

Not my user experience, but yours. There's a reason it's not there. I think it's as simple as that, so why bitch about it? Better question- why am I wasting my time arguing about it? I'm done- carry on....

spinnerlys
Sep 22, 2010, 09:06 AM

But the iPad is not based on mouse input, it is based on touch input. Two different paradigms and methods.

NebulaClash
Sep 22, 2010, 09:17 AM

Yes! A mouse is an abstraction, and extra step. You want to move the pointer from here to there. So instead of moving the pointer, you reach someplace else to grab a mouse, and it's the mouse that moves the pointer. You've created a middleman step that is unnecessary in a touch OS.

With a touch OS, just move the pointer. Directly. No need to abstract that which we are so used to doing with our fingers. Babies instinctively know how to use an iPad. Not a mouse that creates an extra, abstracted, unnecessary step.

iThinman
Sep 22, 2010, 09:27 AM

Yes! A mouse is an abstraction, and extra step. You want to move the pointer from here to there. So instead of moving the pointer, you reach someplace else to grab a mouse, and it's the mouse that moves the pointer. You've created a middleman step that is unnecessary in a touch OS.

With a touch OS, just move the pointer. Directly. No need to abstract that which we are so used to doing with our fingers. Babies instinctively know how to use an iPad. Not a mouse that creates an extra, abstracted, unnecessary step.

Huh?

I use my extra step abstraction while eating lunch, because I do not like mustard on my iPad...during collaboration, because it is hard for others to see the screen if my mits are blocking the screen like an eager to learn baby....or for visio editing via remote desktop, because, well, yeah, good luck without it.

Options - good
Handcuffs - bad

Hold my hand and sing it with me.

NebulaClash
Sep 22, 2010, 09:34 AM
Huh?

I use my extra step abstraction while eating lunch, because I do not like mustard on my iPad...during collaboration, because it is hard for others to see the screen if my mits are blocking the screen like an eager to learn baby....or for visio editing via remote desktop, because, well, yeah, good luck without it.

Options - good
Handcuffs - bad

Your options always exist with different devices. We have adapted to the mouse in ways that make sense to use one for very precise movements, just as machine shops have machinery to augment movements impossible to perform with just the hand.

But a touch OS is different. It's not meant to have a mouse. I guess you could provide a choice, but then you have to change the software foundation to allow for mouse movement. Why do that when you can just use your laptop when you need a mouse?

People are painting finely detailed pictures with their fingers on an iPad. I've never yet felt the need for a mouse. I love the liberation from a mouse it's given me. My fingers do the work directly, no artificial abstraction needed.

When Xerox and then Apple first introduced the mouse, people had to be taught how it worked. It wasn't natural. If no one has seen a mouse, no one would invent one for a touch OS. You're just used to a mouse, so you want one. Ten years from now people will not want one with a touch OS. We'll be used to touch.

Sounds Good
Sep 22, 2010, 09:39 AM
A mouse is an abstraction, and extra step. You want to move the pointer from here to there. So instead of moving the pointer, you reach someplace else to grab a mouse, and it's the mouse that moves the pointer. You've created a middleman step that is unnecessary in a touch OS.
Unbelievable.

I was going to say more, but there's apparently no point.

Options - good
Handcuffs - bad

I'm singing' with ya...

When I'm having breakfast or lunch and I'd like to read my email or maybe some news, I DON'T WANT TO reach out beyond the plate in front of me to touch the screen. Gently moving the mouse sitting next to my plate suits me just fine, thank you. And in my opinion, I shouldn't have to use a different device (laptop) to do this.

Others don't have to use a mouse just because I do. But I'd at least like the OPTION to do it the way I want to.

iThinman
Sep 22, 2010, 09:45 AM
Nice demonstration of why many pc users over the years flatly reject apple products.

Philosophy vs. Practicality

I'm 42 years old. I'll decide when i want to use a mouse. Thanks.

NebulaClash
Sep 22, 2010, 09:55 AM
Unbelievable.

I was going to say more, but there's apparently no point.

It takes time to accept a new revolution. You'll see my point eventually, and you'll be using your finger to move that point.

NebulaClash
Sep 22, 2010, 09:57 AM
Nice demonstration of why many pc users over the years flatly reject apple products.

Philosophy vs. Practicality

I'm 42 years old. I'll decide when i want to use a mouse. Thanks.

Yes, you will, and that's the beauty of the open market. You are quite right that the PC world gives you more choice. Enjoy it.

The Apple world gives you less choice, but the choice they give you is best for many circumstances. If an iPad is not right for you, there's no reason for you to buy one. I bought one, and I'll never, ever, ever be without a touch OS in my life again.

md63
Sep 22, 2010, 10:22 AM
Jailbreak your ipad and use the BTstack mouse. It works fairly well with the latest apple mouse. I like using a mouse with a keyboard, especially when typing a document or navigating a spreadsheet.

Amazing Iceman
Sep 22, 2010, 10:35 AM
What the Magic Mouse should have been:
http://blog.boastr.net/

I love mine infinitely now. :) :cool:

I think MagicMouse was a waste. The Magic Trackpad is much more functional, and the app you linked above makes it even better.
I haven
t used a mouse in years. I've been using Trackballs instead. I hate having to waste desktop space to run the mouse around.

kwfergy
Sep 22, 2010, 11:23 AM
Like message boards, where you want to see a preview of the body of the message to decide if you want to click on it or not. Or news articles that give you a little snippet to see if you want to click through.

newdeal
Sep 22, 2010, 11:29 AM
I am pretty sure there is a jailbreak app that allows you to use a mouse with the ipad...not sure why you would really want to but its possible

NebulaClash
Sep 22, 2010, 11:52 AM
Like message boards, where you want to see a preview of the body of the message to decide if you want to click on it or not. Or news articles that give you a little snippet to see if you want to click through.

Web sites will adapt. By decade's end, the majority of web site visitors will be using a touch device without a mouse, and they'll come up with other ways to do preview long before then.

mrathee
Sep 22, 2010, 12:17 PM

If you didn't like something about a product (an excessively MAJOR issue..) and you bought it anyway, that's your own fault.

If you didnt want the touch screen, you shouldnt have bought an ipad. I netbook would solve your problems and possibly could have been cheaper.

These threads make no sense - I wish product A had capability B, but I bought it anyway.

Don't complain that you dont ahve the money to buy another product to solve your issue when you wasted the money on the initial product without thinking it through.

I saw the ipad when Jobs announced it and thought 'hey, thats pretty cool, but idk if it would work for me" So, I spent months researching it (because I think anything over $200 needs to be thought through) before finally getting one. And its perfect for me.

Why? I researched - I knew what I wanted and what it could do.

So, I wasn't disappointed later when i discovered that the touch based device, required me to touch it.

"If it can be done with a jailbroken apple should implement it"
So Apple should implement the ability to steal apps, to tether illegally, to warp the file system and destroy the battery life that they worked so hard to achieve. Your argument is entirely invalid.

iThinman
Sep 22, 2010, 12:25 PM
Yes, you will, and that's the beauty of the open market. You are quite right that the PC world gives you more choice. Enjoy it.

The Apple world gives you less choice, but the choice they give you is best for many circumstances. If an iPad is not right for you, there's no reason for you to buy one. I bought one, and I'll never, ever, ever be without a touch OS in my life again.

keep drinking the koolaid.

i bought one two, use it and drain a battery each day.

i use it with a mouse, i use it without a mouse, i use my finger and sometimes i even...oops, nv.

point being, i use it the way i choose, thanks to the dev-team, not apple.

NebulaClash
Sep 22, 2010, 12:51 PM
keep drinking the koolaid.

i bought one two, use it and drain a battery each day.

i use it with a mouse, i use it without a mouse, i use my finger and sometimes i even...oops, nv.

point being, i use it the way i choose, thanks to the dev-team, not apple.

I'm not drinking Kool Aid, so don't be so insulting. I made a choice as a user. I like my choice. You don't. That's the beauty of the open market. But to insist that someone who disagrees with you is brainwashed insults you more than it does me.

You charge your iPad every day? Wow. I can barely make it run out.

shieldslfc
Oct 31, 2010, 07:36 AM
Why do some people think its fine they made it compatible with the keyboard, and even brought out a specific keyboard with dock. Their argument being you don't need a mouse you have a finger. Well if you haven't already noticed the ipad has a touch keyboard so why don't you use your fingers for that!

I would just like to have the choice.

I have purchased an ipad for my daughter for Xmas, as her windows laptop is always crashing. So I would like the option of her using the ipad anywhere in the house like its supposed to be used, but also to put on her desk and use as a laptop with the keyboard and dock, and wait for it . . . . . . a mouse (ooohw radical).

I don't want another laptop, we already have a Macbook Pro, she wants the Ipad as she loves her iphone, and she can use whilst travelling, holidays etc etc. So I hope apple do something about this, because I really don't want to jailbreak it.

Maybe it's tactical as some people might then use it as I have described, and purchase the cheaper ipad ahead of the Macbook Pro.

mikechan1234
Oct 31, 2010, 09:28 AM
Am curious how a mouse would work with an iPad. I mean, a cursor on the iPad would just ruin it in my opinion :confused:

spinnerlys
Oct 31, 2010, 09:38 AM
Why do some people think its fine they made it compatible with the keyboard, and even brought out a specific keyboard with dock. Their argument being you don't need a mouse you have a finger. Well if you haven't already noticed the ipad has a touch keyboard so why don't you use your fingers for that!

I would just like to have the choice.

I have purchased an ipad for my daughter for Xmas, as her windows laptop is always crashing. So I would like the option of her using the ipad anywhere in the house like its supposed to be used, but also to put on her desk and use as a laptop with the keyboard and dock, and wait for it . . . . . . a mouse (ooohw radical).

I don't want another laptop, we already have a Macbook Pro, she wants the Ipad as she loves her iphone, and she can use whilst travelling, holidays etc etc. So I hope apple do something about this, because I really don't want to jailbreak it.

Maybe it's tactical as some people might then use it as I have described, and purchase the cheaper ipad ahead of the Macbook Pro.

iOS is using a touch interface, a mouse is made for a point and click interface. With iOS you don't have to drag the finger to a certain place to touch it, you just touch it.

The keyboard is something else, as it does not interfere with the touch interface and will not display a pointer/arrow icon to be used to type. Apple would have provided a mouse, if they would have made that option (using a mouse to navigate iOS). Maybe have a look at Jailbreaking the device, maybe someone did a hack.

ciaran00
Oct 31, 2010, 12:35 PM
Jailbreak it and use a mouse. What's the problem?

I wish I wish I wish. It's not that hard.

mudslag
Oct 31, 2010, 05:43 PM
Jailbreak it and use a mouse. What's the problem?

I wish I wish I wish. It's not that hard.

+1

Winni
Oct 31, 2010, 06:21 PM

Yes, and I am one of them. Unless this computer has an artificial intelligence that is at least on the same level as an above-average human being, I just wouldn't want to talk to it because it probably wouldn't understand 10% of what I'm saying. Using a graphical user interface with a mouse and a keyboard would be much more efficient.

You know, doing things just because you can doesn't always make sense or produce the best result. For example, marking text with your finger on an iPad is a lot less efficient than doing it with a mouse. Drawing would also be more efficient with a mouse, because you can work with much higher precision - no matter how you want to flip and turn it, fingers have a certain size that is in the way of precision work or high details.

If I'd ever buy an iPad again, I'd immediately jailbreak it to install that bluetooth mouse driver package. I can imagine that apps like PenUltimate would be more fun to use then.

It's one of those typical idiotic, elitist Apple things to NOT give their customers that choice. What would it cost Apple to add this option? Right: Nothing. It's just their bombastic egos that are in the way.

ReallyBigFeet
Oct 31, 2010, 07:32 PM
I'm really impressed when I read user accounts of doing significant document editing on their iPad. Maybe I've just got huge fingers (matches my feet!) but I find myself constantly using the pinch/zoom feature to even allow me to make SIMPLE edits in a document inside of Pages or when typing a reply in this forum while in iPad Safari. One of the major shortcomings I just experienced a few minutes ago was replying to someone else's post and using the quote feature. Just TRY and get the cursor to line up AFTER the bracket (]) in the word QUOTE....its almost impossible. Its a miserable experience after a while and I just abandon using the iPad for anything even remotely approaching edits. I just use it as a content consumption device now.

I'm not sure I want to drag along a mouse to add to the clutter of this thing. The beauty of the iPad is the portability of the device and being able to use it while standing up, not needing a table or flat surface. But if you were going to go to all that trouble to enable a mouse for serious editing...why not just buy the low-end 11" MBA Netbook instead?

SteveKnobs
Oct 31, 2010, 11:20 PM
It's one of those typical idiotic, elitist Apple things to NOT give their customers that choice. What would it cost Apple to add this option? Right: Nothing. It's just their bombastic egos that are in the way.

Exactly. It's their huge ego's that are to blame. I mean seriosuly, why would a multi-billion dollar company make decisions about their products based on anything BUT their ego? Surely it could have nothing to do with the quality of the product, but has to have a much deeper, more personal meaning right?

batman75
Nov 3, 2010, 01:09 AM

Perhaps you would also like it with a larger screen, and able to run windows?

8CoreWhore
Nov 3, 2010, 11:02 PM
When the iPad in the stand and I'm Composing emails etc with the Bluetooth keyboard, I hate reaching out to his the send button or italics button etc. For times like that I want a mouse. Even jobs said reaching across like that sucks.

There must be a way to do it on a jailbreak iPad. See link.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wklrVOFMKA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Josemacariofay
Nov 4, 2010, 03:55 AM
When the iPad in the stand and I'm Composing emails etc with the Bluetooth keyboard, I hate reaching out to his the send button or italics button etc. For times like that I want a mouse. Even jobs said reaching across like that sucks.

There must be a way to do it on a jailbreak iPad. See link.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wklrVOFMKA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
I totally agree with you. It would have been ideal if you can control everything from the keyboard. Incorporating a trackpad will be interesting.

AlphaMonk
Feb 3, 2011, 08:40 AM
A little bit old but..

Pre-ipad-keyboard-doc = mouse would be rather useless
Post-keyboard = mouse adds volumes of utility to a nice device

But the reason I felt compelled to click reply was that this thread reminded me of when I first migrated back to Apple a couple years ago. At the time these forums were invaluable to me.

So, I had googled to find out how to delete just one file from the trash. The thread I found looked something like this...

"How can I delete one file in the trash?"

"Empty trash"

"No, I know how to empty the trash, but how do I delete just one file and not all the others that are in the trash?"

"Move all the files except the one you want to delete out of the trash, then empty trash."

"Yeah, that would work, but is there a simple way?"

"You're not making any sense! If the files are in the trash, then delete them! If you don't want to delete them, don't put them in the trash! What's wrong with you?"

After two pages of arguing about how the guy asking the question had bad trash management skills and should go back to his PC, a contributor with normal blood pressure chimed in with a command-line (and then another with the cmd-del).

Anyway, thanks for the all help and tips Macrumors forum people, even the apparatchiks.

Sixtafoua
Feb 11, 2011, 08:22 PM
When typing a paper/notes on the iPad, a mouse would allow for much faster and accurate editing than your finger. This is not questionable.
Are you serious? Have you used an iPad for notes? I use my iPad to take notes in school every day, and it is so much faster than my MacBook was. :)