PDA

View Full Version : Im Curious....

fuijin
Sep 9, 2004, 11:14 PM
how much RAM does a G5 need to run comfortably? for the single G-4's i believe its 512DDR, but dont qoute me. anyone know?

Duff-Man
Sep 9, 2004, 11:23 PM
Duff-Man says...RAM usage has very little to do with the computer itself, it is what is running on the computer - operating system and programs - that uses the RAM. It is generally felt that 512MB is the "comfort level" or realistic minimum for running OS X whether it be on a G5 or a G4....oh yeah!

fuijin
Sep 9, 2004, 11:32 PM
Duff-Man says...RAM usage has very little to do with the computer itself, it is what is running on the computer - operating system and programs - that uses the RAM. It is generally felt that 512MB is the "comfort level" or realistic minimum for running OS X whether it be on a G5 or a G4....oh yeah!

thankyou Duff-Man for saving me.

<edit> but then i look at ur signature and i wonder why do you have so much?

Duff-Man
Sep 9, 2004, 11:36 PM
thankyou Duff-Man for saving me.

<edit> but then i look at ur signature and i wonder why do you have so much?Duff-Man says....512MB is what most consider a comfortable *minimum* - if you are running a few memory-hungry programs then more is better.....I use Digital Performer, Reason, Arturia Moog Modular and other audio apps....more RAM allows for more audio tracks.....oh yeah!

(and of course there is the old saying - he who dies with the most ram wins...)

fuijin
Sep 9, 2004, 11:38 PM
Duff-Man says....512MB is what most consider a comfortable *minimum* - if you are running a few memory-hungry programs then more is better.....I use Digital Performer, Reason, Arturia Moog Modular and other audio apps....more RAM allows for more audio tracks.....oh yeah!

thankyou again Duff-Man

angelneo
Sep 9, 2004, 11:49 PM
(and of course there is the old saying - he who dies with the most ram wins...)
And you have 2.5GB RAM on a G5 Dual 2.5Ghz!!! I couldnt recall anyone with more than 2 Gig worth of RAM. Do you use it for work? video-editing? or just for lesiure...?

Duff-Man
Sep 9, 2004, 11:52 PM
And you have 2.5GB RAM on a G5 Dual 2.5Ghz!!! I couldnt recall anyone with more than 2 Gig worth of RAM. Do you use it for work? video-editing? or just for lesiure...?Duff-Man says...read my post above...some ram-hungry audio apps...some other really pro users of these apps have no trouble with maxing out the G5 ram and putting in the full 8GB....oh yeah!

angelneo
Sep 10, 2004, 12:08 AM
Duff-Man says...read my post above...some ram-hungry audio apps...some other really pro users of these apps have no trouble with maxing out the G5 ram and putting in the full 8GB....oh yeah!
Oops sorry, its just that in my line of work, i seldom use that much power... or should i say never. I'm just amazed.