Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

112351-camera_kit_late_april.jpg

Apple's iPad Camera Connection Kit, which offers two adapters to allow users to transfer digital photos directly to their iPad via either USB or SD card, is now listed as shipping in late April.

The kit had been announced by Apple as part of the iPad launch in late January, but did not come available for pre-order earlier this month alongside other iPad accessories. The reason for the delay in making the kit available for order is unknown.

Other iPad accessories are showing a variety of shipping dates for new orders, with the standard dock and VGA adapter scheduled for April 3rd availability and the iPad case shipping in "mid April". The iPad keyboard dock is currently showing "late April" availability, while the power adapter is not shipping until May.

Article Link: iPad Camera Connection Kit Shipping in Late April

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
Power adapter is not shipping until May? Does that mean you're stuck with charging through your computer ala iPods? Lame_ass!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
These accessories can't be that difficult to manufacture and shouldn't need parts that are scarce, so it seems Apple put less thought/effort into ramping up their production.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
I wonder if my old ipod dock connector to USB is the exact same thing and will also work with the iPad:

1c5908520a6bc5034cdef008902286d7.png

deckwalker

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2005
Lao PDR
I want one. Maybe it'll ship the same time as my 3g. I like the idea of uploading RAW filed while travelling. I doubt there'll be any editing available though.

Brometheus

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
Power adapter is not shipping until May? Does that mean you're stuck with charging through your computer ala iPods? Lame_ass!

That's not what it means. All iPads will ship with power adapters, just like all iPods, iPhones, iMacs, and just about every electronic product from any manufacturer on Earth. This is simply an extra power adapter.

RT2020

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
By the time you add all these clunky accessories, it will cost as much as a real computer.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
That's not what it means. All iPads will ship with power adapters, just like all iPods, iPhones, iMacs, and just about every electronic product from any manufacturer on Earth. This is simply an extra power adapter.

iPods haven't shipped with a power adapter for a long time.

PlayHard

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
What I'm wondering is if I can use the USB connector to connect a compact flash or memory stick card reader and it still read the pictures on it. I've got multiple cameras and generally use a card reader to transfer my pics.

iguanarama

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2007
Far too many stories about ship dates. Of course everyone wants every product right now, and will ramp up negative ratings if it slips a couple of weeks. It's an accessory too, it's hardly the make-or-break of a new device.

Need some more meat on the bone.

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I think an SD card reader should have been built in... think it would have made a lot of people happier including myself.

TomaxXamot

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I wonder if my old ipod dock connector to USB is the exact same thing and will also work with the iPad

That's exactly what I was thinking- I still have my iPod Photo Camera Adapter, but I doubt it. Apple is known for dropping support for older accessories- which is why I have tons of white cables/docks that are useless. I'm still pissed that I can't use firewire to charge my iPod, if I needed to!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'll be curious to see if the old iPod camera connector works. I bought one a few years ago and only used it a few time. Would be cool if I could bring to life to it... and save $30 too. Guess I'll find out next week.

andy721

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2007
FL
Stupid idea/setup

Wow as I thought this couldn't get anymore dumber.
WHy not just install the damn camera internally instead of making a kit for it?:mad:

n8c

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
What I'm wondering is if I can use the USB connector to connect a compact flash or memory stick card reader and it still read the pictures on it. I've got multiple cameras and generally use a card reader to transfer my pics.

I'm wondering this too--it seems to make sense that you could transfer from a CF card reader through the iPad USB connector; are the accessories likely to be limited to the functions Apple says they are?

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I'm still not sure is this kit allows direct xfer fom iPhone to iPad.
I'm thinking it doesn't and that xfer requires iPhoto.
That's too bad because that would mean not being able to use iPad for offload on trips.

n8c

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
WHy not just install the damn camera internally instead of making a kit for it?:mad:

I disagree. Many people use cameras whose capabilities far exceed that of a cell phone camera or webcam. The idea that I could use my iPad while traveling to work on RAW format photos from my digital SLR is very appealing to me.

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010

That's for the second gen! :(

I'm not going to even bother buying any of these connectors. Since I'll probably buy the 2nd gen one next year...ugh I wish I had more self-control!!!!! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.