Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
excerpt

I find the following info from the Apple website very interesting:

"The Camera Connector features a USB interface. Just plug it into the dock connector port on your iPad, then attach your digital camera or iPhone using a USB cable (not included)."

So, you should be able to transfer pics from your iphone to the ipad without a computer, and technically, this should facilitate a simple connection for future tethering (but would probably require a new application or jailbreak to accomplish any data transfer besides the supported Jpeg and Raw files)

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
maybe rev B will have this built in. Along with the ability to take pictures

They may eventually add an SD card slot but the USB port would be too thick for a device that is as thin as an iPhone (Plus the iPad is more tapered so the edges are probably the same size as a usb port, maybe a little thicker.)

mcbane666

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
Canada
I find the following info from the Apple website very interesting:

"The Camera Connector features a USB interface. Just plug it into the dock connector port on your iPad, then attach your digital camera or iPhone using a USB cable (not included)."

So, you should be able to transfer pics from your iphone to the ipad without a computer, and technically, this should facilitate a simple connection for future tethering (but would probably require a new application or jailbreak to accomplish any data transfer besides the supported Jpeg and Raw files)

You beat me too it, it also says that once the connection is made the Photo app open automatically, I wonder if it does this by default, due to a chip in the adaptor that apple has been using now in most adaptors, or is the Ipad finding image files and opening the Photo app based on the File type.

I'm hoping for the later.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
And the iPad cover isn't shipping until the middle/end of April!

What's up with that... I would have thought that Apple would have planned better than this... Having all of the goodies out at the same time makes sense, doesn't it?

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Awesome. Ordered.

I think it's official: I have now ordered every accessory Apple sells.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
By the time you have a dock, a USB/SD adaptor, a keyboard and a case, you have to pay $865 for the 64GB version. Even that would not be enough for my music collection, so I suppose I would put some films, some apps and some music on. Plenty of places sell the white MacBook for less than that with 250 GB HDD. Oh, and the MacBook is a computer, while the iPad is a large iPod Touch. Would that be trolling for you?

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
what a farce that they charge $30 for something that should have been built in in the first place. Honestly Apple will be better off if they sell LESS of these things because the more they sell the more people they will be pissing off with the nickel and diming who will then turn back to windows platform

I don't know. I don't need that device, so if they put it separately to keep the weight, size and cost down on the device I am fine for it. I suspect lots of people will have no need for that.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
And the iPad cover isn't shipping until the middle/end of April!

What's up with that... I would have thought that Apple would have planned better than this... Having all of the goodies out at the same time makes sense, doesn't it?

Actually my order status says my case ships "by April 3" even though the item listing says "ships mid April".

Guess I'll have to wait and see what actually happens.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Not all of us use sd cards; my camera uses Memory Stick. But a built-in USB would be nice.

And most pro-level cameras use Compact Flash, not SD. I'm disappointed they didn't offer a CF option if they were going to have a card adapter. With an CF-to-SD adapter, a camera connector with a CF slot would've covered the vast majority of cameras out there.

Of course that's the same thing I said about the SD slots in the newer MBPs. I keep forgetting that "Pro" is now being used as a marketing term by our favorite company rather than an indicator of the target audience. :D

However I expect it's all academic - as others have noted, the third-party manufacturers will likely fill in this gap.

scott pruett

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
built-in SD slot = expandable storage.

:apple: would lose money by integrating this feature & thus selling less higher-capacity models, imo.

iguanarama

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2007
Actually, trolling is what YOU are doing. Why some people cannot take even the slightest criticism? There was a valid point raised and because it is not favourable to Apple, you consider it as joke? Well done, if that's the best you can come up with.

But just to move the idea further: by the time you have a dock, a USB/SD adaptor, a keyboard and a case, you have to pay $865 for the 64GB version. Even that would not be enough for my music collection, so I suppose I would put some films, some apps and some music on. Plenty of places sell the white MacBook for less than that with 250 GB HDD. Oh, and the MacBook is a computer, while the iPad is a large iPod Touch. Would that be trolling for you?

You make several inferences at my bias towards Apple, which is incorrect, and "well done, if that's the best you can come up with" carries as much rhetoric as my post.

But I'll take the bait. The poster said:

"By the time you add all these clunky accessories, it will cost as much as a real computer."

A "real computer"? It's not trying to be a "real computer", it's a new platform, effectively an appliance. Apple is pitching it that way -- see the keynote attempting positioning it in a new third segment between the phone and laptop -- and people are receiving it that way -- see new use cases for it from the obvious new ways of consuming mass media to complete new areas such as teleprompters. Another example of its diversion from the laptop arms race is that the tech specs have been mostly glossed over by Apple. And, as long as it's fast 'enough', people won't care either.

The implicit comparison from the poster makes it sound like (a) cost is everything, and (b) it's some form of inferior product if it doesn't have all the functionality and expandability of a laptop at a somehow magically lower price.

If you want multiple USB ports, card readers, a keyboard, greater connectivity, greater storage, whatever, you buy a MacBook or a MacBook Pro. Those devices aren't going anywhere.

If you consider the accessories 'clunky', well, welcome to Apple's design philosophy for the last several years. Simplicity, streamlining, and yes, some assumptions that they think they know what people want (for better or worse), and that's the way they'll make the products, and the iPad is no exception. There are plenty of laptops, phones and so forth which include the kitchen sink if you choose that route.

And so yes, I think to come in with a one-liner that dismisses the iPad compared a 'real computer' based on a laptop cost comparison is trolling at best, and completely missing the point.

cwlaw84

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
I'm curious, the information on the apple site says that when you plug in your camera or SD card it automatically opens the photo app on the iPad. If this is the case then it would appear that the adapter does not allow free transfer of information between the source and the iPad, and is instead limited to image files.

It would be awesome if the ability existed to import other files from SD cards or USB mass storage devices... it would be even better if files could be played from those sources (pick up a few extra 16gb SD cards with movies on them, have a lot more material in a lot less space).

I agree with the post earlier about there being little use for a traditional camera, but I'm still very surprised they didn't incorporate a front facing one. I think that would have sold a lot of people (especially an older generation) on the iPad. Open up skype or something similar and get to see your family members... the commercial practically writes itself! Definitely a feature we'll see in the next generation. Don't think we'll ever see a USB port or Card reader built in, bluetooth and wireless transfer of information in future devices would largely limit the need, but in the mean time, $30 for functionality if you need it isn't bad.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
You make several inferences at my bias towards Apple, which is incorrect, and "well done, if that's the best you can come up with" carries as much rhetoric as my post.

But I'll take the bait. The poster said:

"By the time you add all these clunky accessories, it will cost as much as a real computer."

A "real computer"? It's not trying to be a "real computer", it's a new platform, effectively an appliance. Apple is pitching it that way -- see the keynote attempting positioning it in a new third segment between the phone and laptop -- and people are receiving it that way -- see new use cases for it from the obvious new ways of consuming mass media to complete new areas such as teleprompters. Another example of its diversion from the laptop arms race is that the tech specs have been mostly glossed over by Apple. And, as long as it's fast 'enough', people won't care either.

The implicit comparison from the poster makes it sound like (a) cost is everything, and (b) it's some form of inferior product if it doesn't have all the functionality and expandability of a laptop at a somehow magically lower price.

If you want multiple USB ports, card readers, a keyboard, greater connectivity, greater storage, whatever, you buy a MacBook or a MacBook Pro. Those devices aren't going anywhere.

If you consider the accessories 'clunky', well, welcome to Apple's design philosophy for the last several years. Simplicity, streamlining, and yes, some assumptions that they think they know what people want (for better or worse), and that's the way they'll make the products, and the iPad is no exception. There are plenty of laptops, phones and so forth which include the kitchen sink if you choose that route.

And so yes, I think to come in with a one-liner that dismisses the iPad compared a 'real computer' based on a laptop cost comparison is trolling at best, and completely missing the point.

Or put another way....
Disagree with me or Apple and you are a Troll.
This is an opinion site.........the guy can have one can't he without being called names.

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
iPad out in April... possibly May... extra bits out in May/June... probably get one in July/August... o just wait for christmas... or maybe next year when there'll be a better one out... who knows!?

iguanarama

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2007
Or put another way....
Disagree with me or Apple and you are a Troll.
This is an opinion site.........the guy can have one can't he without being called names.

I read back the stuff I wrote, the replies... yeah, fair point. It wasn't trolling. However, it *is* a throw-away line without any seeming desire to debate it further, and I find it frustrating when people just bring it up that way without looking at the bigger picture.

So yeah, apologies from me.

Corbin052198

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
Neat!

This is really neat, or at least how they make it look. I hope it is better than the iPod version, though.

Perhaps Apple would even go as far to provide an API for it, so applications could use the accessory to import photos. But that's probably daydreaming. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.