PDA

View Full Version : Strange sounds on my Powerbook

rogik
Sep 11, 2004, 03:18 PM
Recently I noticed that there is a constant sound from my Powerbook 15' 1.33, it sounds like it is HD working, but when I give my PB some workload, I can hear actual HD sound which is a bit louder than that sound.
What is strange about this sound - it is not the same all the time... It reminds the work of HD, though it must not be HD. What I'm afraid about is either failure or incorrect work of the cooler or HD. In both cases it may fail. I've tried to listen to other laptops (IBM & Toshiba), their coolers of HDs do not have such sounds. Does anyone else have a non constant very low volume sound background on his PB?

JzzTrump22
Sep 11, 2004, 04:08 PM
Mine only makes those sounds when i'm downloading stuff. The second sound your hearing might be the fan. Because it is a much deeper sound then the hard drive.

rogik
Sep 12, 2004, 02:11 AM
Any idea if it is dangerous or how can i get rid of it?

rogik
Sep 16, 2004, 07:14 PM
I've been to the apple store today... They do not know what is that either... Said that it will take about a month for my PB to get repaired/replaced... :( Maybe this sound is not dangerous?

Manzana
Sep 16, 2004, 07:22 PM
mine sounds like purring. i first heard it when compressing a dvd folder to mpeg. i thought it was normal and due to fans spinning faster.

Quobobo
Sep 17, 2004, 06:07 AM
Do you have your processor speed set to highest? I have the same machine, and if I set it to highest, it makes strange beeping sounds. There's a bunch of other people with the same problem on the Apple discussion boards as well.