Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
NEW YORK*—*Benjamin Curtis, better known as "Steven," the Dell Computer pitchman, was arrested Sunday night for buying a small bag of marijuana, police said.
Curtis, a 22-year-old actor and New York University drama student famous for the phrase, "Dude, you're getting a Dell," was arraigned Monday on a misdemeanor drug possession charge. The charge assumes a suspect is not carrying more than a "use amount" -- enough to roll several marijuana cigarettes.
Police said he was arrested on New York City's Lower East Side after officers on a drug detail spotted him buying a small bag of marijuana from Omar Mendez, 19. Mendez faces drug sale and possession charges.link
Dude, You're getting arrested for drug possession.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
iLikeMyiMac said:
Dude, You're getting arrested for drug possession.
Dude, you're dragging up old news. :rolleyes:

Tuesday, February 11, 2003

There's a thread here on this newsworthy story, which got the guy fired by Dell, but mercifully it's in the archive. ;)

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Yeah, and he was jailed.

It's old news, but for the select few that didn't bother/think to investigate why the son of a gun hasn't been on television, well... it's your lucky day.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
That is sad that he had turned to drugs. Could have been too much money and too much time. His life is a lot to handle for a young man. Hope that he will learn his lesson.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
wdlove said:
That is sad that he had turned to drugs. Could have been too much money and too much time. His life is a lot to handle for a young man. Hope that he will learn his lesson.

it's not sad he's "turned to drugs". it's sad for him he f'ed up a sweet deal. he was in the Lower East Side, it's casual especially there, and it's NYC, it happens, a lot. Makes no difference whether he had to much money, if he was broke he probably still would have smoked it. cigarettes and alcohol are drugs too don't forget (both possibly worse than marijuana too - and i've never smoked either so i'm not as biased like some). I don't think he has ~that~ much to handle, no more than anyone else, especially in NYC.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
wdlove said:

Uh, he's 22, and an acting student in NYC. That he was buying a little pot makes him normal. it surely doesn't constitute "turning to drugs". relatively speaking, marijuana is barely a drug, considering how much stronger alcohol is... also, "the dell dude" as a character was pretty clearly a stoner, so this should have been no surprise.

keep in mind here, 1 in 25 americans regularly smoke pot... that means people you work with, clerks at stores, people you see on the street... making it seem too insidious winds up sounding naive.

paul

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
paulwhannel said:
Uh, he's 22, and an acting student in NYC. That he was buying a little pot makes him normal. it surely doesn't constitute "turning to drugs". relatively speaking, marijuana is barely a drug, considering how much stronger alcohol is... also, "the dell dude" as a character was pretty clearly a stoner, so this should have been no surprise.

keep in mind here, 1 in 25 americans regularly smoke pot... that means people you work with, clerks at stores, people you see on the street... making it seem too insidious winds up sounding naive.

paul

Well said Paul.

Mike

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
iloveapple said:
Maybe that is why he liked windows.He was so drugged up

dude, i think at least 80% of mac users have tried pot or are stoned right now, as opposed to the "square" community of windoze users.

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
wdlove said:

yes, somewhat like our current and former president. oh yes, one didn't inhale, and the other only did cocaine. hmm....

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
paulwhannel said:

paul

I grew up in the 60's. It was in rural Ohio. To my knowledge no one in my class used any drugs other than occasional alcohol. Illegal drugs just weren't on our radar screen.

Apple //e

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2003
wdlove said:
I grew up in the 60's. It was in rural Ohio. To my knowledge no one in my class used any drugs other than occasional alcohol. Illegal drugs just weren't on our radar screen.

having gone thru art school in the 90s and used every natural drug extensively, let me tell you that alcohol and tobacco are far worse for the body than pot, and the "high" is much worse in comparison.

pot and hashish are very harmless and quite fun. you should give it try before you blow off one of natures gift to humanity. getting high is a natural desire for the human being.

just because a drug is illegal doesnt make it bad. fellatio is illegal in many places but is quite exquisite.

illegality of certain "drugs" has made criminals out of otherwise normal people, raised prices, and lowered the acceptable quality of the "stuff" to substandard levels. schwag = cow dung

my point is :

try it :)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
wdlove said:

Understood, it's easy to forget one's place in time... my generation has always kind of treated pot as something some people do, if they're not trying to get totally out-of-control like you do on alcohol. So drugs have never been *off* my radar, and my attitude shows that.

evoluzione, i got ya :) I've never made a deal so poorly that the cops saw it, so i'm surprised as well. Sometimes an arrest is just a reminder to be more careful... even if you've got the celebrity status of "the dell dude". but still, what did he do, take out a billboard? "Dell Dude Buying Pot Right Here, Gather 'Round"...

paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.