Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
i have a couple of external HDs that have both fw 400 and usb 2.0. which should i use to connect to my PM G5 2.0? i'd like to combine the two drives in a RAID array as well...is usb 2.0 better than fw 400 for that? is it easier to daisy chain fw or usb? lots o' questions...thanks in advance, everyone.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Doesn't the USB 2.0 still require external power?

I know a few Firewire Drives that need their own power but there are ones that just use the one cable

If you can get one with just one Firewire cable then it would be better for moving it around (not worring about that extra cable)

stoid

macrumors 601
Definitely go for the FireWire. Even though the FireWire peaks at 400 Mb/s and the USB 2.0 can go to 480 Mb/s, they use different transfer protocols and in real world tests a sustained data transfer will be much smoother and quicker over FW that USB 2.0.

Now if I could only find the link to the benchmark tests to prove it. :eek:

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Darwin said:
Doesn't the USB 2.0 still require external power?

I know a few Firewire Drives that need their own power but there are ones that just use the one cable

If you can get one with just one Firewire cable then it would be better for moving it around (not worring about that extra cable)

It depends on how much power a device draws. I've got a LaCie mobile HD that doesn't need an external power source.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
rewsd the first post, he has the drive but wants to know which way to connect it, and add one vote for firewire.

Coolvirus007

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2004
Tokyo
There was a thread a while back comparing the two and I believe, firewire was the winner. But I don't know when it comes to a device which has both connections.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Hector said:
rewsd the first post, he has the drive but wants to know which way to connect it, and add one vote for firewire.

You're right, sorry. It was a bit too early on Sunday morning :). I altered my post accordingly.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
what it comes down to is that firewire ports have there own dedicated decoder chip thingys to do all the work and they have a sole purpose and can handle 400mbps but with usb 2 it makes the cpu do all the work and using the cpu to do something is always slower than dedicated hardware

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
If you are going to play songs or video or store large files (say a meg or more) then firewire is much faster. If you are going to store smaller files (a meg or less) then usb2 blows 1394 out of the water. Ususally people's files are fairly large, so most people are better off with the firewire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.