Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Apples description is vague. It says you can load videos from your camera via the sd card, so does that mean I can put extra movies on the sd card and view it on the ipad? It auto adds them to itunes?

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
"The iPad Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using your camera’s USB cable or directly from an SD card. iPad and the Camera Connection Kit support standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW. "

^^^from apple.com

Technically the ipad doesn't know that Avatar didnt come from my personal camera so it should work...?

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
You might be on to something in that matter. I just wonder if it will force you to import the movie into the Photos.app? Or if it would allow you to play the movies from the SD card? I guess we'll know for sure once the camera connection kit ships.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Apples description is vague. It says you can load videos from your camera via the sd card, so does that mean I can put extra movies on the sd card and view it on the ipad? It auto adds them to itunes?

Somehow I doubt that. They mention videos in the first part yes, but then in the bottom they don't mention anything else except JPEG and RAW. I think that was probably a mistake on Apple's part as I can't see them supporting the various video codecs on different cameras. Even if they did there would probably be a file size limitation on it or some other restriction. I doubt they would open up a loophole that large to just use the SD card as movie storage for iTunes.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Apple added MJPEG support to the iPad (in avi format - NOTE - This doesn't mean it will play ALL avi files) to allow for uploading videos from digital still cameras.

I don't know whether transfer of any video would be possible but we'll find out I suppose.

PS, thanks again to all you folks in the USA for being beta testers for these new products. I'll be getting mine in a month or so when all the kinks are worked out.

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
lol cant remember the last real book I read but the ibookstore is so convenient I may have to make myself a budget to not go overboard

GadgetX

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
This has come up a few times before and it still looks like no one is any closer to a definitive answer. I would also like to see if you could just plug a flash drive or a portable hard drive into the usb adapter and be able to access files like that! Hmm guess we won't know for sure until late April

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This has come up a few times before and it still looks like no one is any closer to a definitive answer. I would also like to see if you could just plug a flash drive or a portable hard drive into the usb adapter and be able to access files like that! Hmm guess we won't know for sure until late April

I pray for this every night! Lol. It would make it easier to move files around. Hopefully it will have a more robust finder in 4.0. I remember reading some rumor on MR a month or so ago that said something about the next iPhone OS being more full featured like a real computer and that Apple was really excited about it?

steamtoy

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006

Why not put an SD slot on the iPad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.