Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tvman13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2004
Atlanta
I am looking to purchase 2 new macs from Apple for my class. I have been told recently to buy the minimal amound of ram and hard drives from them and then purchase it from another source. I could then add it on.

Any opinions on this? :confused:

The 1st G4 that I purchased, someone else paid for, so I had everything added to it I could.

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
What are you planning on using the computers for? If they are just going to be a Internet box, with iLifing, eMacs or iBooks will do the job perfectly. If they are going to be for heavy Photo-shopping, then a PowerMac is the only option, IMHO. But before we can help, we need to know what you want to use the computers for.

tvman13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2004
Atlanta
We are looking at a G5 tower. I teach high school video production and use FCP and DVD Studio Pro. Last year we used the G4 for producing a 1 hour DVD, but had to take final rendering and authoring to a studio to meet the deadline.

I just reread my first post. Let me clarify it. We are purchasing the G5 tower, but not sure about getting the RAM and hard drive from Apple. The computer costs at the educational part of the Apple store are great, but wondering about the other things that can be added later.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
You can add more RAM and bigger hard drives later. They are user-installable parts, meaning that even Apple things you're capable of installing them :D It is cheaper to buy the RAM from another source rather than from Apple.

fregedegpo

macrumors member
May 27, 2004
but be carefull....

You just want to choose your memory very very carefully. Yes, you can save much money, but you definitely want to still buy a brand that has an excellent rep, such as Crutial. Funny, I was just thinking the same thing... I bought a G5 2 gig not long ago and bought all my memory from Kingston and it all made my computer crash. Turned out that Kingston had had a really really big bad batch and they replaced it all. But anyway, Ive heard really good things about Crutial. Anyone have some brand advice?

lazymuoio

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
New York
cruical is defently the source for RAM the hard drive updrages you should rpbably do from apple i dont know if they really over charge for that but for RAM they do and you should go to http://www.crucial.com and run the configurator

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Since you're an educator, I'd suggest going to a university book store in town that sells Apple computers so you can get the G5 PM right there with the education discount. Get a pair of G5 Dual 2.0GHz. It comes default with 512MB of Crucial/Micron brand RAM (2x256MB) and a Maxtor 160GB SATA HD. Get 2 more sticks of 256MB for each G5 from either Crucial.com or Newegg.com, which sells Crucial RAM cheaper than Crucial.com.

JRam

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2004
Santa Cruz
Although it is nice to go to a university's bookstore and buy the comp there in person I dont think you can get the edu discount unless you a student there. I know at my school they asked me when I bought my iPod and I had to show them my id card. If your thinking about going to some school store its probably worth your time to call to make sure they will let you get the discount without being a student at that school specifically...

nerd

macrumors member
May 15, 2004
Daveman Deluxe said:
If you buy from Crucial, download a different browser and use that to shop online. Crucial charges you less if you don't have cookies from other online merchants.

Are you serious? That sounds pretty crazy.

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
Does RAM actually PERFORM differently when it is from different vendors?

Or is it just a "it might not work" situation?

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
nerd said:
Are you serious? That sounds pretty crazy.

Dead serious.
Attached photo: Same RAM in both cases, the top version is in Safari, bottom is in Camino (which I had heretofore not used). I've seen differences as much as $20 for 512 MB of this particular RAM (I think PC2100 SODIMM).

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 110

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Daveman Deluxe said:
Dead serious.
Attached photo: Same RAM in both cases, the top version is in Safari, bottom is in Camino (which I had heretofore not used). I've seen differences as much as $20 for 512 MB of this particular RAM (I think PC2100 SODIMM).

That sucks. I wouldn't do buisness with them... I wonder if they give a better deal to Windows users. ;-) Crooks. At least when i bought my ram at the Apple store today, they overchaged me the same amount as anyone else. (Please note, I intended the last comment as a joke)

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
For ram make sure it from a quilty vendor. Also it might be help to find out what the CL is on the G5 ram (now if some knew that number off hand it would be great).

DDR400 (PC3200) has diffence in them them selves. Try to find a ram that has a CL of 2.0 because that among the faster ram you are going to get and since ti timing are the lowest you can get then it can easily ajust it self to the ramn that comes with it. it going to cost a little more but there no point to put slower ram with a processor as powerful as the PowerG5. the good stuff is the best way to go. Heck you could just take out the 256 that comes with ti and just install all the ram from the same manfactor so you know that there will not be a problem. :)

numark

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Daveman Deluxe said:
Dead serious.
My understanding of the issue was that it wasn't necessarily whether you had cookies from other merchants (which Crucial's website can't even detect; a website can't read cookies from other sites at all). The problem is that the first time you visit Crucial's site, you get randomly assigned a cookie value. Based on this cookie value, you get random prices; some people get higher prices, some get lower prices.

numark

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Timelessblur said:
DDR400 (PC3200) has diffence in them them selves. Try to find a ram that has a CL of 2.0 because that among the faster ram you are going to get and since ti timing are the lowest you can get then it can easily ajust it self to the ramn that comes with it.
Actually, I've heard reports that the G5 has many more problems with RAM that's timed at anything other than CL3. While some people have had CL2.5 RAM work OK, I know that the best results have come from CL3 RAM in the end.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
numark said:
Actually, I've heard reports that the G5 has many more problems with RAM that's timed at anything other than CL3. While some people have had CL2.5 RAM work OK, I know that the best results have come from CL3 RAM in the end.

some needs to find out. And why the hell is Apple using CL3 ram for a chip as fast as the G5. It slows down the computer. The reason I say use CL2 ram is it can always run slower at CL3. The only excuss I can think of is if it ECC ram but then apple would require you to have ECC ram.

Well the ram apple sells is even more of a rip off that I already though. You can get much better ram for a cheaper price. Well it is a pre built computer......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.