PDA

View Full Version : Mapquest Offers Free Basic Turn-by-Turn GPS for iPhone

MacRumors
Mar 30, 2010, 11:27 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/03/30/mapquest-offers-free-basic-turn-by-turn-gps-for-iphone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/03/30/122445-mapquest_4_mobile.jpg

MapQuest yesterday announced (http://blog.mapquest.com/2010/03/29/mapquest-4-mobile-iphone-debuts-basic-voice-guidance-and-its/) the launch of a major update to its MapQuest 4 Mobile (http://appshopper.com/navigation/mapquest-4-mobile) GPS application for the iPhone, bringing basic turn-by-turn voice guidance and off-route assistance to the free application.We're pleased to announce that basic Voice Guidance is now available on our MapQuest 4 Mobile iPhone app. This is an exciting feature that really differentiates us from most other free navigation apps available for iPhone.The new update also adds the ability to double tap to zoom out on maps, as well as a new energy saving mode that dims the screen during voice guidance.

MapQuest also offers a more advanced subscription-based GPS navigation application, MapQuest Navigator (http://appshopper.com/navigation/mapquest-navigator), priced at $0.99 for the application and $29.99 per year for service. Shorter subscriptions are also available.

Article Link: Mapquest Offers Free Basic Turn-by-Turn GPS for iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/03/30/mapquest-offers-free-basic-turn-by-turn-gps-for-iphone/)

stridemat
Mar 30, 2010, 11:29 AM
:( Its not available in the UK, guess we will have to wait.

Bodhi395
Mar 30, 2010, 11:47 AM
I like the fact its free!

I'm not sure how well it will work though, since its so basic. I might try using it on my way home from work today. I've always wanted a turn by turn GPS app, but haven't been willing to pay the high prices that most of them are offered at.

Fafafoooey
Mar 30, 2010, 11:57 AM
still needs internet to download maps. I got the Co-Pilot app when it was on sale for $19.99. All maps are local on the phone. no need for internet. maybe if Mapquest just added all the maps to the app, it might do well. still a step in the right direction.

iDisk
Mar 30, 2010, 11:58 AM
Been waiting a 4 years for this.

Patience pays off

gcmexico
Mar 30, 2010, 11:59 AM
whats the difference between this and the google maps app on the iphone, don't they do the same thing?

stridemat
Mar 30, 2010, 12:00 PM
whats the difference between this and the google maps app on the iphone, don't they do the same thing?

Voice Directions, so you do not have to look at your iPhone so much while driving.

room237
Mar 30, 2010, 12:01 PM
Everytime I have ever used MapQuest it has gotten me lost, trying to send me through roads that do not exist.

Doctor Q
Mar 30, 2010, 12:05 PM
I think the iPad is going to be great for maps and directions. No more squinting or repeatedly zooming in and out to get your bearings. Voice directions don't depend on screen size, of course, but chances are that you'll both look and listen.

gber
Mar 30, 2010, 12:06 PM
Voice is choppy and of poor quality. Application crashed twice in 15 minutes of use. Could not find basic searches in my location. No interface with contact list. I have already deleted this App.

gcmexico
Mar 30, 2010, 12:10 PM
Voice Directions, so you do not have to look at your iPhone so much while driving.

got it thanks! might be useful then:)

stridemat
Mar 30, 2010, 12:13 PM
I think the iPad is going to be great for maps and directions. No more squinting or repeatedly zooming in and out to get your bearings. Voice directions don't depend on screen size, of course, but chances are that you'll both look and listen.

I don't particularly like the idea of people pinching and zooming while driving - but I guess it would be easier and quicker on a larger screen if people are going to do it.

Friscohoya
Mar 30, 2010, 12:17 PM
I still prefer google maps. Maybe thats cause I havent used anything else.

ltcol266845
Mar 30, 2010, 12:41 PM
I'm very good with directions, so Google Maps functions nicely for me, just to fill in the blanks if I've never been to a place before.

Otherwise, how does this compare to the Motion-X GPS App? I have it, though I don't use it very often because its pretty darn slow on my iPhone 3G. Well, almost everything is really slow on my iPhone. :(

Doctor Q
Mar 30, 2010, 12:55 PM
I don't particularly like the idea of people pinching and zooming while driving - but I guess it would be easier and quicker on a larger screen if people are going to do it.
I don't use the iPhone while driving (you can tell because I'm still here and not in a ditch on the side of the road).

But when I drive with other people, one of us drives and the other navigates and the iPhone screen is a bit too small for best efficiency. An iPad would be better.

gbfkicks
Mar 30, 2010, 01:27 PM
I used it yesterday after it came out--worked just fine for me here in Chicago. It doesn't have many extra features, but it's excellent for a free app.

Bodhi395
Mar 30, 2010, 01:28 PM
Been waiting a 4 years for this.

Patience pays off

4 years? Hasn't the iPhone only been out around 3?

bretm
Mar 30, 2010, 02:11 PM
I like the fact its free!

I'm not sure how well it will work though, since its so basic. I might try using it on my way home from work today. I've always wanted a turn by turn GPS app, but haven't been willing to pay the high prices that most of them are offered at.

MotionX gps drive for $2.99? You only pay more if you want live voice and you can pay that by the month for $3 when you need it. You probably won't need it. The $2.99 version does have a couple hold outs. The voice and you have to advance the turn by turn yourself. Which I've found really isn't that big of a deal. Neither is the lack of voice. It will play your itunes while you use it too.

bretm
Mar 30, 2010, 02:11 PM
4 years? Hasn't the iPhone only been out around 3?

Not yet.

kwyn
Mar 30, 2010, 02:17 PM
Does it rotate with the direction you are driving on top on the iPhone 3G? Google Maps doesn't. I think only on the 3GS

Darth.Titan
Mar 30, 2010, 02:51 PM
Does it rotate with the direction you are driving on top on the iPhone 3G? Google Maps doesn't. I think only on the 3GS

That would be because the 3G has no magnetometer to serve as a compass, so this would be impossible on the 3G.

But to answer your question the Mapquest app doesn't rotate on the 3G or 3GS.

baypharm
Mar 30, 2010, 02:59 PM
That would be because the 3G has no magnetometer to serve as a compass, so this would be impossible on the 3G.

Which is one of many reasons why I love my Droid. It has a built-in mag.

fr0
Mar 30, 2010, 03:21 PM
This should be a nice little temporary solution until Google Maps is updated with turn-by-turn. I'm hoping we'll see that by June/July. Especially since El-Jobso was seen making nice with his buddy at Google.

OhNoASquirrel
Mar 30, 2010, 04:07 PM

It (the iPad) might be great at displaying maps (if you get the 3G version) or showing a list of directions...but without GPS, it won't be much different than a paper map or a printout of directions.

snowleopard2009
Mar 30, 2010, 05:30 PM

No it wouldn't. All GPS' do this. It just takes 2 seconds to figure what direction you're moving in. No compass needed.

kwyn
Mar 30, 2010, 07:11 PM
No it wouldn't. All GPS' do this. It just takes 2 seconds to figure what direction you're moving in. No compass needed.

Ummm. Yeah!!! They don't need a compass. That's why every other GPS app on the 3G can do this (aside from google maps and this)

mattster16
Mar 30, 2010, 08:01 PM
Which is one of many reasons why I love my Droid. It has a built-in mag.

...and so does the 3GS.

bludodge
Mar 30, 2010, 08:51 PM

..yeah but maybe they will make a suction cup holder for the iPad so you can stick it to your windshield as a GPS unit..........Ha:D

soapsuds
Mar 30, 2010, 09:56 PM
I just downloaded it, hoping that it would have a Mapquest URL handler to redirect to the app instead of the mobile site, but no dice. There's not even any button to go to the app, just a button to get the app from the app store. I thought 3rd party apps could hook special URL prefixes to accomplish this.

When websites have mapquest links for addresses (like the rink finder on the hockey site I use all the time), it's always a pain to have to select and copy the address into the maps application. I guess if Safari was better about auto-detecting address fields that would help too.

roland.g
Mar 31, 2010, 02:20 AM
I guess I never got all the Nav stuff and turn by turn nonsense. But that might be because I don't get lost, I know where I'm going and I know a better way to get there than the apps.

I just use the google maps to find locations of things, get their phone numbers to call them, that sort of stuff.

DarrenC
Apr 1, 2010, 10:29 AM
Horrible app. It doesn't even auto re-route. Voice is almost unintelligible.

CylonGlitch
Apr 1, 2010, 12:36 PM
Horrible app. It doesn't even auto re-route. Voice is almost unintelligible.

As a trial, I had it route from my home to work before leaving. Now, it did take me on the toll road that i normally avoid, so this was a good test. After a few seconds of being past the entrance to the toll road, a popup came on the screen and asked if I wanted to be re-routed. I touched OK and it automatically routed based on where I was an which way I was going. From then on it was my normal route. I was surprised it didn't tell me to turn around and go back to the toll road.

Overall the app worked well. BUT it wasn't perfect. First it found me on the other side of town and didn't resync correctly. That was odd. But then I just told it to stop and try again and everything was ok from there.

One time while driving it found me off the road on a parallel road then kept asking me to re-route. I ignored it and after a few seconds resynced to my location.

Both of these I would chalk up as having the iPhone in the center console of the car and not on the dash. As soon as I moved it to a better viewing location, it seemed to work without a flaw.

I would like to see a few features.
1) They are using the OSX built in text to voice. Give us a pulldown in the options to select which voice we want, some are nicer to hear then others and I think that varies from person to person.

2) Auto zoom please. As you come close to a turn, zoom in. As you make the turn and the next direction is miles away, zoom out.

3) An option to pre-download your route would be nice. This way if you are traveling somewhere that loses coverage, you don't lose everything. Sure you can't make new routes, but at least you can follow the one you're on.

Otherwise, it's a keeper.

cocky jeremy
Apr 2, 2010, 04:37 PM
Maybe it's just me, but i'd rather use a dedicated GPS any day of the week and keep my iPhone open for music playback while driving.

jaforres
Apr 4, 2010, 12:58 AM
I hope this turns out to be good. Every once and a while when I try to use the google maps while driving it seems to lose its GPS.

neilp4453
Apr 5, 2010, 01:55 PM
Eh....it is nice to tell people that we FINALLY have a free navigation app but in the end, I will never use it.

It is very poorly done. So poorly done that I would just overlook their paid version if I were in the market.

I'm more efficient by using the google maps app and using the list of directions. I have to stare too long at this app and that makes it dangerous.

GXT
Apr 6, 2010, 12:40 AM
let you know in few days....

Nicolecat
Apr 7, 2010, 09:23 AM
I tried this the other day.
and found it more aggravating than anything...

The voice quality...what voice quality?...I could barely understand what it was saying with road noise and light radio in the background.

I also had to copy/paste the location from googlemaps, because the search well....sucks.

But it is voice guidance...just not very good voice guidance.
I suppose that's also why it was free.
Oh well.

Adem Stival
Aug 6, 2010, 07:03 AM
I'm not positive, but I believe it is a $5 minimum.

NightSailor
Dec 14, 2010, 09:54 PM

I agree. I've been thinking how I can relocate my heater/AC control and mount my iPad in my Silverado dash. There is a fellow in California who does similar things.

elctropro
Jan 1, 2011, 01:04 AM
It's getting beyond frustrating that Google will not just give iOS users built-in navigation. Is it really that much of an advantage to hoard it for Android?

Southern Dad
Jan 1, 2011, 09:37 AM
I have a Tom Tom and an older Garmin StreetPilot III neither of which I want to use in my vehicles. I don't like things on my window or dashboard. Both of the vehicles I drive the most often have perfect locations for the iPad without any mounting.

I've used the Maps app on both the iPhone and iPad. The limited battery life of the iPhone makes it useless for GPS unless you are going to be plugged in the whole trip, another thing I hate is cords.

This is why I really want to find a good app for the iPad for navigation. If it is paid, so be it. Free would be better. I will be trying this one.

QuarterSwede
Jan 1, 2011, 09:43 AM
The voice quality...what voice quality?...I could barely understand what it was saying with road noise and light radio in the background.

It's loud and clear when plugged into a head unit (car stereo). I actually find it works well for a free app. The only thing that bugs me is that it doesn't support the retina display so it's pretty ugly to look at.

It's getting beyond frustrating that Google will not just give iOS users built-in navigation. Is it really that much of an advantage to hoard it for Android?
It may not be Google who is keeping from coming to iOS. Apple may be to blame. But really, who knows.

Southern Dad
Jan 5, 2011, 07:56 AM
I downloaded and used the Mapquest app. As a person that cannot stand anything on my dash or windshield this sounded like a good solution. In my Lincoln Navigator (I know a Navigator without a navigation system? I got it used.) the iPad has a perfect location when the ashtray is opened.

I loaded up the app and found that it worked great. Directions were accurate voice could have been louder. Now the changes I'd love to see. The app doesn't rotate to landscape. That perfect spot in the Navigator for the iPad works better landscape. Second, and this one is a programming tweak that needs to be added; there is no remaining time or distance to destination only to next turn. Third, the little icon tends to move up the screen as you travel along the road. The map should move downward rather than the icon traveling up. We need to see the roads ahead not behind.

Next, I installed the app on my iPhone 3GS for use in my 2002 Ford Thunderbird. The car is an original retro bird and I just don't want to change the radio and we already discussed my opinion of dash mounted. I have a cradle that plugs into the cigarette lighter and positions the phone for optimal viewing.

The only issues I found were those discussed above. The app worked flawlessly. When I received a call which I took over my Bluetooth headset it continued to function. I love the app. Fix those couple things and I'll be a user on a full time basis.

emachine87
Jan 24, 2011, 06:34 PM
for being a free app its not that bad..used it reliably to go to the location where i proposed to my gf :)..Besides with recent updates its becoming more complete.

kicko
Jan 25, 2011, 03:57 PM
It's loud and clear when plugged into a head unit (car stereo). I actually find it works well for a free app. The only thing that bugs me is that it doesn't support the retina display so it's pretty ugly to look at.

It may not be Google who is keeping from coming to iOS. Apple may be to blame. But really, who knows.

Thats one major drawback for me as i'm coming back to an ip4 from an android. I tend to use the gps on google maps often, and it works very well. That is one reason my data useage is so high (2.5gb a month) when its loading live maps on the fly.

This mapquest app sounds like its not worth the headache. The only other iphone gps app i have is n-drive. I guess i'll have to fall back on that again.