Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noahsnyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Los Angeles
Hello -

I recently became the proud recipient of a Gmail account, by way of a very generous buddy. Well, now that I have the sucker, I obviously want to use it to its fullest extent. It doesn't support POP access, so using my Mail.app with it won't do me no good.

Also, I was dissappointed to find that Gmail's keyboard shortcuts have no functionality with Macs...

I've downloaded GmailStatus, which seems nice enough, as well as AddressbookToCSV, for importing my addresses to Gmail.

Any other handy tools for use w/ Gmail (on a mac) that folks have been using? Any tips for usage?

Thanks

N.

stoid

macrumors 601
Just as Apple included MS Exchange Server functionality with Mail in Panther, I wonder if Tiger might offer some web-mail functionality stuff so that people can do hotmail and gMail and yahoo and whatnot without having to go on the web. Hell, I'd go for it if Mail put a Safari window in the app, I just don't like having to keep another window open and keep clicking Get New Mail.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
noahsnyc said:
Also, I was dissappointed to find that Gmail's keyboard shortcuts have no functionality with Macs...

They work for me, in both Firefox and in Safari. Have you went into "Settings" and turned them on?

Some keyboard settings are context sensitive, meaning they won't work except in particular windows (i.e. viewing a particular message). It's possible the ones you've tried weren't applicable to the screen you were in.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
noahsnyc said:

They keyboard shortcuts work just fine. Make sure they're turned on.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

noahsnyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Los Angeles
Westside guy said:
They work for me, in both Firefox and in Safari. Have you went into "Settings" and turned them on? Some keyboard settings are context sensitive, meaning they won't work except in particular windows (i.e. viewing a particular message). It's possible the ones you've tried weren't applicable to the screen you were in.

Right you are! I jumped to an early conclusion that Gmail and its power that be didn't include functionality for us Safari/Mac users. That being said, I figured out all the handy handy little shortcuts.

After playing around with it forthe past couple of hours, all I can say is...Can't someone please get a POP hack going for it?? POP access (which I hear is in the works from the proper authorities) would make it just perfect.

Thanks

N.

noahsnyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm stupid...so...

iMeowbot said:

Sounds great, and as far as I can tell, does the trick.

How would one go about utilizing the code provided? It seems like everything wants to be run through Terminal, and is Unix-based.

For any of us lay-people, is there a "set-by-step" on how to use this package of code?

All this goes to show you, do a little digging and the good folks over at Macrumors' Forums will come to the rescue!

Many thanks,

N.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
noahsnyc said:
For any of us lay-people, is there a "set-by-step" on how to use this package of code?
I started writing up some instructions when I saw this message, and realized that all I would do is confuse people who aren't used to Unix -- there are a few steps to make it run automagically.

So, I decided to look at how hard it would be to turn this into a clickable Mac application, and lo and behold, that's wicked easy, since OS X comes with Python.

Please bear with me for a few hours while I make things a little prettier and do a little bit of testing. :eek:

toontra

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
iMeowbot said:
I started writing up some instructions when I saw this message, and realized that all I would do is confuse people who aren't used to Unix -- there are a few steps to make it run automagically.

So, I decided to look at how hard it would be to turn this into a clickable Mac application, and lo and behold, that's wicked easy, since OS X comes with Python.

Please bear with me for a few hours while I make things a little prettier and do a little bit of testing. :eek:

Thanks iMeowbot.

I'm hoping to find a way of using gmail with Entourage rather than Mail.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
This is for basically any mail program that can speak POP3 (which is, pretty much any Mac mail program).

It works for me. You may or may not be so lucky. Read the readme. It's guaranteed to destroy the world, possibly including your mail too, so don't be upset if anything bad happens. remember, Gmail itself is in beta test, you shouldn't be relying on it for anything important.

There is a disk image in the zip file, with libgmail rearranged to make it less painful for Mac users.

Good luck, you'll need it. ;)

[More notes: This is really for Panther only, okay? And if you did something weird like not install the BSD subsystem, you might be missing needed things. Oh yeah, and GPL stuff: control-click on the app and show Package Contents to retrieve the source code, if you want it :p ]

noahsnyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Los Angeles
GMail POP

Ok, I haven't tried it yet, but good Lord, iMeowBot!!

Dude, you rock, you're like a Golden God! If this thing works, you'll surely be inundated with offers of women, wine and rolls of quarters!

Thanks, dude,
n.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
solaris said:
I tried it, and I didn't like the fact that the apps "Gmail_POP_Server" and "Gmail_SMTP_Server" have to be forced to quit when I log out or restart. I decided to remove it for this reason. If someone could fix this issue (make the servers respond to quit events from the OS) I'd use this app.

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
iMeowbot! I am in awe. Just ran your little piece of magic and it works smoothly! (tried Gmail 2 mail) before but never managed to get it working)
I'm afraid I'm kinda blond when it comes to programming and haircolour:eek:

ThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou (and oh yeah, my employer could do with some impolite letters:))

DEATH TO OLD HOTMAIL ADDRESS! woohoo :D :D :D

-Squirrel

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Has anyone else had the problem that GMail's Contacts list doesn't seem to want to retain changes? I tried adding multiple email addresses to a single contact, and it lost all the changes after giving me a message saying I hadn't saved them (when I'd clicked to save changes more than once)!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.