PDA

View Full Version : Screen protector or no?

chriskzoo
Apr 1, 2010, 12:38 PM
I can't see being able to get a good screen protector on there without any bubbles, so I'm going with no and just hoping to pickup the Apple case.

miles01110
Apr 1, 2010, 12:39 PM
Good for you.

dwd3885
Apr 1, 2010, 12:42 PM
I can't see being able to get a good screen protector on there without any bubbles, so I'm going with no and just hoping to pickup the Apple case.

No. Mine is just going to be used around the house and I'll get the Apple case. that's all.

firteen888
Apr 1, 2010, 02:29 PM
I'd like to get one that doesn't show fingerprints. the one I have for the iphone is amazing, hardly ever shows fingerprints

Alchematron
Apr 1, 2010, 02:53 PM
No, I prefer the direct tactile feel of glass

Bodhi395
Apr 1, 2010, 03:07 PM
I don't see the need for a screen protector on the iphone and definitely not the ipad.

I have had an iphone for 2 years. I don't have a case or screen protector for it, and carry it around all the time in my jeans pocket. My iphone screen has no scratches on it, at least none that I can see without taking a magnifying glass to it. I think the screens are made to be almost scratch resistant.

I'm assuming the ipad screen is the same and since most people won't carry it around or abuse it as much as an iphone, I think its even less as risk for scratches.

Therefore, don't bother with a screen protector. The screen is extrememly durable and I doubt you will have any problems.

darngooddesign
Apr 1, 2010, 03:09 PM
No, I prefer the direct tactile feel of glass

I however, didn't like the tactile feel of that anti-fingerprint coating so I put on a protector.

T4R06
Apr 1, 2010, 03:40 PM
my iphone took the beating on pocket with keys but still no scratch. common sense, can you put the ipad on your pocket? if not, stay away from those screen protectors...

im assuming they have the same glass

RMXO
Apr 1, 2010, 03:49 PM
I had one on my iphone & it has saved me from getting a broken screen. so I'm getting one for my iPad. Plus, I rather be safe than sorry. I live with my cousin, his wife & their 2 yr old son. He puts the tsunami to shame & has a way of wrecking things.

kernkraft
Apr 1, 2010, 03:51 PM
To your question, Apple says NO. They cleared out the screen protectors from their store.

I would recommend an anti-glare one (I can't remember the brand), they come in olive packaging. Any bubbles disappear within a day or two and you have a layer that you clean the screen first with. It's a bit pricey, but if you get a protector, get those!

BacklitFirefly
Apr 1, 2010, 04:00 PM
None for me. I use them for my iPhone, but I feel pretty sure I don't really need to. I want to feel casual and up-close with my iPad, really use it instead of treat it like something fragile. I think it's a rugged device with that scratch-proof glass.

darngooddesign
Apr 1, 2010, 05:16 PM
...I think it's a rugged device with that scratch-proof glass.

The glass might be scratch proof, but I have my doubts as to whether the coating is.

That being said, its not pocketable so I think it will be fine if you keep it in a sleeve while not is use.

Aranince
Apr 1, 2010, 05:21 PM
I don't have a screen protector on my iPhone, and it's as good as new. It goes in and out of my pocket all day, have dropped it several times, and accidentally slid it against my car keys. The only protection is my Incase

Maaz
Apr 1, 2010, 05:24 PM
Nope. But i am getting the apple case.

alldat
Apr 1, 2010, 05:46 PM
To your question, Apple says NO. They cleared out the screen protectors from their store.

I would recommend an anti-glare one (I can't remember the brand), they come in olive packaging. Any bubbles disappear within a day or two and you have a layer that you clean the screen first with. It's a bit pricey, but if you get a protector, get those!

I was in the Staten Island Apple Store today and they still had screen protectors and cases that came with screen protectors available for purchase.

jedolley
Apr 1, 2010, 06:13 PM
I pre-ordered the Phantskinz screen only iPad protector. For those that don't know, Phantomskinz is similar to Zagg's Invishield. I've tried Zagg's version and it felt thick and tacky, definitely not good for a touch screen. I now have a Phantomskin on my Palm Pre (almost a year) and it's completely smooth, great touch screen experience. I also think the application on the Phantomskinz is better than the spray bottle application Zagg uses.

I only ordered the screen protector since the back will be protected by a case (Yet to be determined). I also obtained a discount code that took 25% off, so the price was only $13.95 after shipping.

marksman
Apr 1, 2010, 06:13 PM
free ball it baby!

djinn
Apr 1, 2010, 06:36 PM
Apple glass doesn't scratch :)

kernkraft
Apr 1, 2010, 06:39 PM
I was in the Staten Island Apple Store today and they still had screen protectors and cases that came with screen protectors available for purchase.

My mistake, I meant the online store. It was a news article on MR a few days ago. I suppose, eventually Apple Stores will follow.