PDA

View Full Version : Facebook for Ipad

jfreak623
Apr 1, 2010, 01:10 PM
Anybody heard if they were planning on developing anything for the ipad?

MikeCase
Apr 1, 2010, 01:12 PM
I've wondered why use a Facebook app when you can just go to the actual website?

RebelRed
Apr 1, 2010, 01:13 PM
Not sure why you wouldn't just use the browser, but I'm sure someone will do something. Isn't there an iPhone app?

below sea level
Apr 1, 2010, 02:10 PM
I've wondered why use a Facebook app when you can just go to the actual website?

In most cases, I prefer the app to the website. It's a much nicer experience.

wingnut8
Apr 1, 2010, 02:12 PM
I think the app is really sub-par.

MattWylde
Apr 1, 2010, 02:14 PM

I think you'll change your mind after using the iPad's browser. Just like the iPhone, you can make icons for websites so that you can quickly access facebook just like you would if it were a separate iPad app. If that doesn't work for you, then you can always use your iPhone app, double pixeled.

Neeliosis
Apr 2, 2010, 12:42 AM
I want that "Via Facebook for iPad" to show up on the bottom, so people know I have an iPad. :D

Maaz
Apr 2, 2010, 12:49 AM
I am sure facebook will come out with an iPad specific app.

Abyssgh0st
Apr 2, 2010, 01:02 AM
I prefer the app to the website on the iPhone, but I think that may be a different story on the iPad. The app is SUPER buggy (as well as the normal website, on a computer) as is, and not to mention that their main app developer quit like 6 months ago. I wish they would develop an app though, but I think I'll be sticking to the website at first.

Alchematron
Apr 2, 2010, 01:14 AM
Yeah the bigger screen may make many of these for iPhone apps unnecessary

I do like the simple interface of the facebook app though

fraggot
Apr 2, 2010, 01:23 AM
Yeah, as others have already said. I think one of the biggest things is it having a bigger screen size, turning EVERY website into an app is kind of pointless.

innominato5090
Apr 2, 2010, 01:26 AM
I think they're gonna relase it: while navigation experience on facebook.com is a pleasure, it isn't very touch-friendly. A native app can also use push notifications (like facebook for iPhone does)!

Squid7085
Apr 2, 2010, 04:34 AM
I think we will see Facebook tweek the site to be more iPad friendly before we see an App. Really, that is what makes more sense.

grahamtearne
Apr 2, 2010, 04:47 AM
The way I see it:

Site = more features + less native OS support
App = less features + more native OS support (ie push notifications)

On iPhone I personally prefer the app because it has most of the things I want plus its easier to use on the screen size etc, plus mobile facebook offers nothing over the app - desktop version loads but not too great and I only do it if I need to get to a part of the site I cant on the app. I would however expect the desktop site to load better on the ipad as they have included it in promo videos and screenshots. If the desktop site loads that will be fine for me and one could use the email notifications as a substitute for the lack of push, if a reworked app is made however that uses the screen space really well I could see my self using that over the site again.

nden
May 5, 2010, 10:52 PM
Well, you guys can try this method on my website: http://unkool.com/ipad/facebook-iphone-app-on-ipad-unpixelated-version

khong1010
May 6, 2010, 12:17 AM
facebook ipad app will enable me to upload pictures from ipad.

Skystar
May 6, 2010, 12:21 AM

It would be nice if apple updates safari to let you upload pics from the gallery to any site that can browse and upload photos like Facebook, forums, imageshack etc.

cargillk
May 6, 2010, 07:29 AM
Honestly how hard could it be for Facebook to develop this app? I'm encouraged and dismayed that we don't have it yet. They have some of the best programmers in the entire world working for them and they haven't made it yet. I would think its one of two things. 1) They are not going to make an iPad app until they truly see a LARGE purchasing swell of the device. 2) They are making one, they're just trying to make it bad ass.

...heres to hoping for 2)

pjtoadie
May 6, 2010, 07:38 AM
Plus the web based Facebook doesn't have chat either. The app would have it plus ability to upload pics.

zenntench_oni
May 6, 2010, 07:41 AM
I want that "Via Facebook for iPad" to show up on the bottom, so people know I have an iPad. :D

lol i would say the same. lol

javaGuru
May 6, 2010, 07:43 AM

Is it possible to upload photos to facebook via the facebook web app on the iPad?

nden
May 6, 2010, 08:05 AM
Is it possible to upload photos to facebook via the facebook web app on the iPad?

Answer is No.

There is no chance you can upload or download via Safari.

Some of you may like http://touch.facebook.com

Scott6666
May 6, 2010, 08:24 AM
FB is a plague. Sucks up all my kids time "socializing" with 700 friends. Who the h*ll has 700 real friends? No one. Who has 4 hours a day to read crap wall updates when they should be reading MR?

I'm sure they will update their app and I won't care.

Of course, you 400MM (probably 80MM really active) dissenters will love it.

DSchwartz88
May 6, 2010, 08:29 AM
alright dont take my word for this, because when I spoke to facebook about iPhone apps this was a year ago. Last I spoke to facebook, they had one guy, thats right....one guy working on their iPhone dev. I was applying for an internship and expressed my interest in the iPhone dev and they told me it was one dude. Now i've also heard facebook is considering outsourcing its iDevice dev, but until that becomes the case I would say its going to be a while before you see a full-fledged app.

Honestly, kudos to the one guy for getting the iPhone app where it is today, because thats an accomplishment on its own.

CD3660
May 6, 2010, 08:34 AM
Who has 4 hours a day to read crap wall updates when the should be reading MR?

Made me laugh! :D

aross99
May 6, 2010, 08:39 AM

I think this is the missing feature when you use the Web version. I agree with everyone else that the Web version has the best experience, when then if you decide to post something, you have to go launch the iPhone app, which seems odd.

It is too bad that Safari won't let you browse to your photos to upload them to sites like this.

Eric-PTEK
May 6, 2010, 09:30 AM
I'm not a big FB fan either...but we use it for our business and it is effective.

I'd prefer to have an App where I can do an at a glance look at how things are going.

Scott6666
May 6, 2010, 09:56 AM
I'm not a big FB fan either...but we use it for our business and it is effective.

Interesting. What industry are you in? I'm also wondering how you handle the negative posts.

One thing is for sure, FB will sue the crap out of any non-directly-affiliated FB app. Surprised we don't get sued for using the word FaceBook in an unauthorized forum post.

BeyondtheTech
May 6, 2010, 10:13 AM
I think this is the missing feature when you use the Web version. I agree with everyone else that the Web version has the best experience, when then if you decide to post something, you have to go launch the iPhone app, which seems odd.

It is too bad that Safari won't let you browse to your photos to upload them to sites like this.

I say this is a bigger issue of Safari than stupid Flash plug-ins that others are whining about. Among other things, I can't upload a resume to a job site, upload a picture to eBay or Facebook, and I can't download my app's promotional codes to give away from iTunes Connect.

They really need to fix this if they want to be a full-on netbook/notebook/desktop/whatever killer.

nightfly13
May 6, 2010, 10:24 AM
Plus the web based Facebook doesn't have chat either. The app would have it plus ability to upload pics.

You serious? Either you mean something else when you say it doesn't have chat... but who do you think you're chatting with on the app? Other mobile users only? lite.facebook.com has lots of crap (and chat) taken out, but the normal web based FB has chat....

patp
May 6, 2010, 10:35 AM
Facebook chat works with Atomic Browser.

a dedicated FB app for facebook would be cool and I would use it.

It should have chat, upload pics from gallery.

GroundLoop
May 6, 2010, 10:38 AM
You serious? Either you mean something else when you say it doesn't have chat... but who do you think you're chatting with on the app? Other mobile users only? lite.facebook.com has lots of crap (and chat) taken out, but the normal web based FB has chat....

Have you tried to chat on the normal web-based FB site on an iPad? I know that I cannot because the list of online users does not show up anywhere on the web version in iPad Safari.

Hickman

nightfly13
May 7, 2010, 06:38 AM
Have you tried to chat on the normal web-based FB site on an iPad? I know that I cannot because the list of online users does not show up anywhere on the web version in iPad Safari.

Hickman

Sorry I think I misunderstood, thought you were saying that the FB app doesn't support chat.

H00513R
May 7, 2010, 10:36 AM
While an app would be nice, the regular site works/looks just fine. You even have the "Lite" version to use if needed. I haven't had any problems so far.

fishepa
May 7, 2010, 10:37 AM
I use just the regular site on the web, works great for me.

slpdLoad
May 7, 2010, 10:39 AM
I use the full site in Atomic Web, which has support for Facebook Chat if you set the browser type to one of the full desktop options. Works great, I prefer it to an app.

stanmoor
May 7, 2010, 11:14 AM
I use the full site in Atomic Web, which has support for Facebook Chat if you set the browser type to one of the full desktop options. Works great, I prefer it to an app.

How do you do this? When I load facebook on AtomicBrowser, it always takes me to the mobile version. I can then click 'go to touch version' and from there click 'go to full site version', but no chat button appears. Where is it?

DKatri
May 7, 2010, 11:33 AM
I'm surprised that there wasn't one at launch. Facebook has got to be one of the most downloaded iPhone app.

fishkorp
May 7, 2010, 11:40 AM
Interesting. What industry are you in? I'm also wondering how you handle the negative posts.

One thing is for sure, FB will sue the crap out of any non-directly-affiliated FB app. Surprised we don't get sued for using the word FaceBook in an unauthorized forum post.

Not true. The only reason that one app was pulled was because it confused people into thinking it was an official FB app. There are plenty of FB apps out there. Echofon for Facebook is a perfect example of how an app can be done using all FB-provided APIs and pull off a nice app. use FB's APIs and don't try to confuse people and the app will be fine.

Pared
May 7, 2010, 11:44 AM
Jailbreak and modify the files so it fits full screen.

http://www.redmondpie.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/FacebookAppforiPhoneoniPad1.jpg
http://www.redmondpie.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/FacebookAppforiPhoneoniPad2.jpg

slpdLoad
May 7, 2010, 11:46 AM
How do you do this? When I load facebook on AtomicBrowser, it always takes me to the mobile version. I can then click 'go to touch version' and from there click 'go to full site version', but no chat button appears. Where is it?

It's an Atomic Browser setting, not a FaceBook one. Click the Gear icon in the bottom bar, select Settings, and then select "Identify Browser As". Choose something like Safari Desktop.

It's not perfect, but chat does work.

shortysbest
Jun 14, 2010, 07:26 PM
FB is a plague. Sucks up all my kids time "socializing" with 700 friends. Who the h*ll has 700 real friends? No one. Who has 4 hours a day to read crap wall updates when they should be reading MR?

I'm sure they will update their app and I won't care.

Of course, you 400MM (probably 80MM really active) dissenters will love it.

Actually they have about 550 Million Monthly Users. 80 Million active users is a very low amount :).. It's more like 300 Million users active more than 20/30 days per month.

lokerd
Jun 14, 2010, 08:02 PM
I'm surprised that there wasn't one at launch. Facebook has got to be one of the most downloaded iPhone app.

I don't understand why this app STILL hasn't been updated. 2 months...and still no update to some very popular apps...seems odd!

redgaz26
Jun 15, 2010, 04:08 PM
I've just uploaded pics from my iPad to facebook, it works great.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w214/redgaz26/0b7284e2.jpg

They send you an email address, save it to contacts, open photos and send pics. :D

Sorry if the pics a bit big, took a screenshot then used photopad, what a superb free app by the way:D
Loving the iPad.

topmounter
Jun 15, 2010, 04:20 PM
Facebook is passe.

clayj
Jun 15, 2010, 04:30 PM
I don't understand why this app STILL hasn't been updated. 2 months...and still no update to some very popular apps...seems odd!The only thing I can think is that they're holding out for the iOS 4 release next week.

ssdeg7
Sep 5, 2010, 06:11 PM

The website does not have Push notifications, you can't upload photos, and you cant use chat!

tjatsd
Sep 6, 2010, 09:20 AM
I use "Friendly Facebook Browser" (an unofficial Facebook app, but located in the apps store for .99) and love it. It's clean, you can view and delete invitations, and the chat function works.

mcm2839
Sep 6, 2010, 09:45 AM
I use the app Social for iPad. I think it cost 1.99, but allowed me to upload photos directly from the iPad. I think it's pretty good!

Gleemen
Sep 6, 2010, 10:24 AM
The Friendly app for iPad is way better then the iphone facebook app.

darngooddesign
Sep 7, 2010, 09:09 AM
I think we will see Facebook tweek the site to be more iPad friendly before we see an App. Really, that is what makes more sense.

Since they already have the app developed, it makes more sense for them to release a universal app.

iCole
Sep 7, 2010, 09:14 AM
I use Friendly. Works great for me, clean and simpel, but it doesn't have push :(

ginguar
Sep 7, 2010, 09:55 AM
I use Friendly. Works great for me, clean and simpel, but it doesn't have push :(

I use friendly for viewing and have the iPhone facebook app to receive the push notifications, not a pretty way to do it but it works.

AppleMacAddict
Sep 30, 2010, 09:23 PM
You know... at first when I joined the iPad family I thought the same thing. But now that I have experience using my iPad, I would rather take advantage of the iPad's web browsing experience. ;)

japasneezemonk
Oct 2, 2010, 01:56 AM
what is Facebook?