PDA

View Full Version : The Early Edition: My first iPad app (RSS with a difference)

Chuck
Apr 2, 2010, 12:48 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Hi,

Just wanted to give you guys a heads-up about my first iPad app, called The Early Edition (iTunes (http://appstore.re/earlyedition) link).

This is an app that combines what's great about printed newspapers with what's great about RSS feeds. The UI is familiar and intuitive, plus we have lots of plans to improve it even more.

I'll post some screenshots a bit later.

Hope you enjoy it!

Chuck

tys
Apr 3, 2010, 03:01 PM
Looks nice. Will it sync with google reader?

NebulaClash
Apr 4, 2010, 09:22 AM
Chuck,

I just bought Early Edition because I like the look of the app.

How do I import all of my Safari RSS feeds into Early Edition? They are all on my iPad already, accessible within Safari, so is it possible to just get them imported into Early Edition? Would save me lots of time recreating the feeds within your app.

sparkomatic
Apr 4, 2010, 10:12 AM
Looks cool. I'll have to keep my eye on if for Google Reader syncing too.

Chuck
Apr 7, 2010, 12:31 AM
tys & sparkomatic - the current version doesn't support Google Reader but we're adding it to version 1.1 which will be out within a couple of weeks hopefully.

NebulaClash - that's a good idea. We'll look into it to see if that's something we can include in an update.

Also, look out for an interim update prior to 1.1 which will improve stability and hopefully shorten some of the waiting times on loading etc.

Hope you all keep enjoying it so far. ;)

GoCubsGo
Apr 25, 2010, 06:30 PM
I nearly went to buy this app but then read the most critical reviews, which are all very relevant. Here's what stopped me from actually buying today.

* Lack of google reader support (seems like a no brainer here for any RSS reader today).
* Have to manually input all addresses.
* No option to sort feeds by anything other than date. One user said that his gizmodo feed takes over his MacRumors feed because Gizmodo posts an article every minute (exaggeration) whereas MacRumors is more limited. I'd like not to see the less frequent updated feeds get pushed down.

Before I plop down $5.00 I'd like to see some of this addressed. It is the best looking app but if it doesn't function then there's no reason to buy.

Chuck
Apr 25, 2010, 06:49 PM
Hey Jessica,

It's taken a little longer to finish 1.1 than we had planned because we decided to rework the way the databases were being used in order to make fetching news snappier and more responsive. This is all the more important for Google Reader import because there's going to be a lot more feeds to cater for.

We're also going to include feed discovery, so if you type a web address in, the app will look for associated feeds for you.

The other nice thing coming in 1.1 is feed groups, so you can categorise your feeds however you like (or retain the folders you have in Google Reader). Hopefully this will also go a long way to resolving the issue of some feeds taking over, insomuch as they don't need to be mixed with high-frequency feeds.

Thanks for posting your thoughts here and letting us know the reasons that stopped you from the initial purchase. It is a big help.

Chuck.

dcsatt
May 3, 2010, 06:21 PM
Hey Jessica,

It's taken a little longer to finish 1.1 than we had planned because we decided to rework the way the databases were being used in order to make fetching news snappier and more responsive. This is all the more important for Google Reader import because there's going to be a lot more feeds to cater for.

We're also going to include feed discovery, so if you type a web address in, the app will look for associated feeds for you.

The other nice thing coming in 1.1 is feed groups, so you can categorise your feeds however you like (or retain the folders you have in Google Reader). Hopefully this will also go a long way to resolving the issue of some feeds taking over, insomuch as they don't need to be mixed with high-frequency feeds.

Thanks for posting your thoughts here and letting us know the reasons that stopped you from the initial purchase. It is a big help.

Chuck.

Chuck:
I use Basecamp to manage my law firm's cases. Basecamp offers a global RSS feed of all activity. However, it requires a secure login. I can access via News Rack, but I haven't had any luck in Early Edition.
Thoughts?

Fireproof!
May 3, 2010, 07:31 PM
ETA on v1.1 release? I'm really looking forward to those features!

Chuck
May 28, 2010, 07:46 PM
ETA on v1.1 release? I'm really looking forward to those features!

1.1 was submitted to Apple about a week ago so hopefully it will be approved really soon. :)

Fireproof!
May 28, 2010, 09:15 PM
1.1 was submitted to Apple about a week ago so hopefully it will be approved really soon. :)

Awesome - great to hear.

srl7741
May 31, 2010, 09:30 PM
There has been an update released. Look for the update in the App Store.

:)

Chuck
May 31, 2010, 09:50 PM
There has been an update released. Look for the update in the App Store.

:)

You beat me to it!

Here's a list of the main changes in the newly approved version 1.1:
✔ Sections: Now you can group & view feeds in customized categories
✔ Google Reader / OPML feed & folder importing
✔ Feed discovery: Now you can enter a website URL & The Early Edition will search for discoverable feeds
✔ There are now four ways to filter your news: Last Fetch, Today, All Dates & Past Editions
✔ Saved state: Now when you exit the app and relaunch, it will go back to the page you were on
✔ Auto-fetch will now only occur the first time you launch the app on a given day
✔ Fetching now includes a progress bar as visual feedback
✔ You can now cancel a fetch before it is finished
✔ Speed & performance enhancements
✔ Greatly improved international character support
✔ UI enhancements
✔ App Store links now open the App Store instead of web previews
✔ New Help menu with answers to frequently asked questions
✔ Bug fixes, including some feeds that were causing crashes

superflush
May 31, 2010, 10:55 PM

Does the Google Reader integration have the ability to mark posts as read. In other words, if I feed a few posts in Early Edition, will the posts be marked as read when I go to Google Reader, or still be marked as unread?

Chuck
May 31, 2010, 10:57 PM
Does the Google Reader integration have the ability to mark posts as read. In other words, if I feed a few posts in Early Edition, will the posts be marked as read when I go to Google Reader, or still be marked as unread?

What we've implemented in 1.1 is importing (ie, one way). We may well include two way syncing down the road, but at this stage it's importing of feeds and folders.

superflush
May 31, 2010, 11:21 PM
What we've implemented in 1.1 is importing (ie, one way). We may well include two way syncing down the road, but at this stage it's importing of feeds and folders.

Okay, gotcha. I would love to see two way sync Google Reader integration.

jbachman67
Jun 1, 2010, 03:43 PM
You beat me to it!

Here's a list of the main changes in the newly approved version 1.1:
✔ Sections: Now you can group & view feeds in customized categories
✔ Feed discovery: Now you can enter a website URL & The Early Edition will search for discoverable feeds
✔ There are now four ways to filter your news: Last Fetch, Today, All Dates & Past Editions
✔ Saved state: Now when you exit the app and relaunch, it will go back to the page you were on
✔ Auto-fetch will now only occur the first time you launch the app on a given day
✔ Fetching now includes a progress bar as visual feedback
✔ You can now cancel a fetch before it is finished
✔ Speed & performance enhancements
✔ Greatly improved international character support
✔ UI enhancements
✔ App Store links now open the App Store instead of web previews
✔ New Help menu with answers to frequently asked questions
✔ Bug fixes, including some feeds that were causing crashes

So far so good - I've added my home town paper, which has local news, sports, etc - I couldn't put it into any single category you list, so now when I go there the headline is "UNCATEGORIZED." So how do I create my own categories like local news, sports, etc that aren't already there. It's not obvious, but really necessary.

boltjames
Jun 1, 2010, 08:17 PM

Chuck:

I've been watching your app for months, anxiously awaiting Google Reader integration and I'm significantly disappointed to hear this news. Was ready to buy, now going to wait on you (again).

There are several other apps in the App Store that have Google Reader sync. Many of them just your bare-bones RSS apps that don't have 1/10th the functionlity yours does. I should know as I've got 'em all.

Why for the love of everything holy did your team not build for Google Reader sync when every other Tom/Dick/Harry lame RSS app in the App Store has this as a built-in feature from the git-go? And, most importantly, when are you going to have Google Reader sync as part of Early Edition?

BJ

Master4752
Jun 2, 2010, 07:31 AM
I completely agree. Using my computer, iPhone, and iPad to read feeds requires a full sync between devices. I really want to use Early Edition but until there is a google reader sync won't buy.

boltjames
Jun 2, 2010, 04:25 PM
I completely agree. Using my computer, iPhone, and iPad to read feeds requires a full sync between devices. I really want to use Early Edition but until there is a google reader sync won't buy.

Download the MyTimes reader app. Not as sexy with the newspaper UI, but has the NY Times font and color scheme and, most importantly, sync's with Google Reader.

http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/037/Purple/16/f0/24/mzl.bnwyyixj.480x480-75.jpg.....http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/001/Purple/9b/6c/b2/mzl.dgbobyhh.480x480-75.jpg

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=368515340&mt=8?partnerId=30&siteID=KEmRFwU0WKY-eX30flTM8P4i9N84ZOXiAA

I've tried all the RSS apps, spent a lot of money, MyTimes is the best one out there until EE gets its act together and enables Google Reader sync.

BJ

VirtualRain
Jun 2, 2010, 06:14 PM
I've tried all the RSS apps, spent a lot of money, MyTimes is the best one out there until EE gets its act together and enables Google Reader sync.

BJ

What makes MyTimes better than NewsRack?

boltjames
Jun 2, 2010, 07:11 PM
What makes MyTimes better than NewsRack?

NewsRack looks just like the free mobile version of Google Reader.

So, if you don't use Google Reader, you might love NewsRack because it looks just like the Google Reader UI that all of us Google Reader users have learned to love. Looks like email, clean, easy, simple.

But, if you do use Google Reader, then NewsRack is redundant and looks just like the Google Reader mobile version we've used for years. For us, we're a bit bored with its clean, easy, simple UI that looks just like email and want something more exciting which is why we looked forward to Early Edition and are monumentally disappointed with yesterday's release.

So, if you're not a Google Reader user, try NewsRack for its updated UI that'll feel refreshingly simple and straightforward. If you are a Google Reader user, try MyTimes for its updated UI that'll feel refreshingly sophisticated.

BJ

superflush
Jun 2, 2010, 09:49 PM
The above post makes no sense.

srl7741
Jun 2, 2010, 09:55 PM
I have to agree, I've read it a few times and I'm still not catching it.

GoCubsGo
Jun 2, 2010, 09:56 PM

Although you've totally done the bait and switch here I have to say your app is annoying at best. It's like meeting a super hot dude who is best when he keeps his mouth shut. Your app takes no less than 75 seconds to load 18 feeds. (i timed it) There is no rhyme or reason to the way fees are laid out when selecting "all fees". If I see that damn yellow post it note asking for feedback again I may scream. I think once one leaves feedback via email and in itunes that post it note should go away. Finally, there is a lag when a page is turned whether by tapping the arrow or swiping left or right.

Glad to see money paid for the app is going towards true enhancements in both function and performance. I do however appreciate the look of the app, but right now it's just pretty and based on your update I should not expect more.

superflush
Jun 2, 2010, 11:45 PM
But, if you do use Google Reader, then NewsRack is redundant and looks just like the Google Reader mobile version we've used for years.

See, this part in particular makes absolutely no sense. You see, NewsRack plugs into google reader. And the view is much better than the standard "mobile" Google Reader view you get on iPad, and it has several other advantages. First, I am able to keep my feeds in my exact desires order, as opposed to the alphabetical order. Additionally, I can tweet, save to Instapaper, save to Delicious, etc. in a very easy manner in the NewsRack app. Also, I'm almost positive that NewsRack will cache the stories in case I wanted to read offline (though I haven't had to use this yet).

VirtualRain
Jun 3, 2010, 02:29 AM
try NewsRack for its updated UI that'll feel refreshingly simple and straightforward. ... try MyTimes for its updated UI that'll feel refreshingly sophisticated.

Unless I'm missing something... all I can conclude from this is that NewsRack has a simple and straightforward UI and that MyTimes has a sophisticated UI.

I'm more inclined to try Pulse after looking at both of these.

gwynne
Jun 4, 2010, 04:18 PM
At first I was thinking the categorization could make this a little more than eye candy, but I seem to be getting duplicate items on feeds, completely at random.

Ferromet
Jun 9, 2010, 11:03 PM
How do you purge the database or does it just keep piling up? I've got so many feeds that early edition just crashes at it's startup. I'm guessing it's due to the database being too large. Is there a solution?

mamema
Jun 10, 2010, 12:48 AM
How do you purge the database or does it just keep piling up? I've got so many feeds that early edition just crashes at it's startup. I'm guessing it's due to the database being too large. Is there a solution?

I've come across the same problem and i have to delete the sql database in the early edition application folder via iFile

mamema
Jun 10, 2010, 01:46 AM
I've extensively tested Early Edition and i like it, with a great BUT

I've 200 RSS Feeds implemented cause i want to get rid of the 1 App for 1 datasource. That i have used on my iPhone several years now and i like the way to summarize several news sources in one app

But:
- The categorization isn't as practical as expected. I cannot create sub categories, so i can create a Main category eg "International" and make sub categories "U.S.", "Europe" and so on.
- The categories are not sortable, they get sorted according to the Description of the feed, so the news selection is kinda random if i select the category tab
- News retrieval is about "all or nothing" with 200 news sources i want to be able to select a category and only these feeds are updated.
- The application don't use the full potential of the landscape mode. In landscape mode half of the screen is filled with the categories and i can't disable this.
- App should be able to view videos if i select "View Source" and the original article with linked video content shows up

But in spite of the mentioned problems i like the app

JulianL
Jun 10, 2010, 06:03 AM
- The application don't use the full potential of the landscape mode. In landscape mode half of the screen is filled with the categories and i can't disable this.
So many apps do this, including things like Apple's built in Mail app, and for me it's a big issue. When I'm looking at a competitive area with lots of app choices (e.g. RSS readers or Wikipedia browsers) then the ones that get deleted very quickly tend to be the ones that make this (in my opinion) mistake.

When I turn (*) my iPad into landscape mode it's because I want to get the full screen width for reading content (e.g. a feed or a Wikipedia article). If I want to get back to navigation then I'm happy to hit a button to get to the right screen. When I turn Safari into landscape mode it expands the page width for me, it doesn't feel the need to use the left third of the screen to show me my tab thumbnails or bookmarks folders.

I haven't got round to trying to select a newsreader yet but from browsing the app store Early Edition was looking to be a strong contender but this sort of landscape behaviour bugs me so much that I think it's just dropped off my list of apps to try. (I'm beginning to discover that $1 apps don't cost $1 and $5 apps don't cost $5. Because of the need to try out various competing apps to really discover the one that I like best a $1 app really ends up costing me at least $5 and, because I'm a bit more careful with the more expensive apps, a $5 app probably costs me more like $15 - $20.)

Chuck - you seem to have been less active in this thread recently. I hope things are still active with Early Edition; from what I've seen it deserves to be a success and I'd be interested in knowing whether the full-width landscape issue is likely to be addressed in a future version.

- Julian

(*) I say "turn my iPad into landscape mode" but I actually try to keep it locked into landscape as much as I can, it's just the occasional game or legacy iPhone app running in compatibility mode mode that ever causes me to go portrait.

superflush
Jun 10, 2010, 07:25 AM
So many apps do this, including things like Apple's built in Mail app, and for me it's a big issue. When I'm looking at a competitive area with lots of app choices (e.g. RSS readers or Wikipedia browsers) then the ones that get deleted very quickly tend to be the ones that make this (in my opinion) mistake.

Are there any good apps that you like that give you a full view in landscape?

JulianL
Jun 10, 2010, 07:44 AM
Are there any good apps that you like that give you a full view in landscape?
Well, like I said in my last post, I haven't started evaluating news readers yet, it's still on my list to do. (I'm in the UK so I've only had my iPad for a week). A specific example I had in mind with Wikipedia readers though, which is an app area where I have looked at various alternatives, are either Articles or Wiki^2 (or Wiki squared if you prefer); both these show the article in full width whereas others, including the best selling one whose name I can't remember but it has a "W" logo on a sort of bronze coloured background, insists on displaying the content/section index on the left when in landscape mode. Another example from a different part of the app world is mail readers where I really tried to like the Mail app and use it to read my Gmail but what I hated was that I could never get a full width reading window in landscape mode. I haven't found a real solution to this one yet so for email the best I've got to is to read my Gmail in my browser (iCab) and set the user agent to a desktop browser and force the Gmail mode to standard desktop so that I get most of the width for the email messages when I read them.

Sorry I can't give you any specific examples regarding rss readers, and sorry if my previous post was misleading in implying that I could - that wasn't my intention.

- Julian

superflush
Jun 10, 2010, 12:55 PM
The bestselling Wikipedia app you are thinking of is probably Wikipanion. That's the one I have and I like it a lot. It does have the navigational pane in landscape.

superflush
Jun 10, 2010, 12:58 PM
Sorry I can't give you any specific examples regarding rss readers, and sorry if my previous post was misleading in implying that I could - that wasn't my intention.

Oh thats fine. I just was curious if there were any recommended apps that give you full screen landscape.

I do like the navigational pane when it is useful in landscape.
I think it only becomes a problem when you don't have an option to go into full screen. Apps that have the navigational pane, but that still let you go into full screen (like Instapaper does when you view an article) are definitely good with me.

CristobalHuet
Jun 10, 2010, 08:42 PM
Tested this and decided to drop $5 on it.

A fresh, new concept. Kudos to you for taking the usual (newspaper) and making it into something extraordinary.

Granted, the app is not perfect, and I have one MAJOR qualm with it that has been voiced here before:

PLEASE give us a way to categorize our categories. I don't necessarily want my "food" section to be popping up on the cover of the Early Edition, but I'd rather have the "tech" section there, per se.

It's not that big of a deal right now and I appreciate the fact you are actively developing, but I certainly hope you'll implement a way for us to pick what's the most important categories to us, to prioritize them.

A few other notes (been said before, but saying again):
- load times...a little too slow. I get that it needs to be organized, but surely there must be a way to speed it up a bit.
- back/forward buttons...when opening an individual article and clicking on a link from that article, it takes you to another page, but there is no way to get back to the article itself. A way to navigate back to the article where the link was would be great.
- some themes, perhaps? :)
- elimination of duplicate stories: some blogs (MacRumors, BGR, Engadget) post similar news stories (say...Bill Gates hired by Apple, lol)...I would get that story 3 different times, yet each article is pretty much the same. A way for the app to perhaps scope out similar stories and remove them (keeping the most "popular" one, perhaps, the one with the most comments...) would be great too.

All in a all, terrific work. I ditched Pulse for this.

Ferromet
Jun 10, 2010, 09:05 PM
I've come across the same problem and i have to delete the sql database in the early edition application folder via iFile

Can you explalin the process of doing this? The only thing I was able to do is delete the whole application and re-install.

mamema
Jun 11, 2010, 03:24 AM
Can you explalin the process of doing this? The only thing I was able to do is delete the whole application and re-install.

Sure!

Use SBSettings to find out where Early Edition is saved (More Button / App Folders - look for Early Edition).
Mine begins with: F29450022-B807 didn't know if it is the same on your side.

Go into iFile and locate /mobile/Applications/<Found ID>
Open Folder go into Documents Folder and delete FeedStore.db

Best regards

mamema

Scottland
Jul 1, 2010, 03:36 AM
I had a quick play with this last night, but I couldn't see a way to have articles from the feeds appear in chronological order? It seemed to be putting them in groups by feed.

Chuck
Jul 1, 2010, 10:52 PM
*sigh* I just typed a huge reply to this thread and it all disappeared when I hit submit. Here goes again!!!

First off, I'm really sorry for dropping off the radar here. It wasn't intentional and I didn't realise there'd been so many responses. :/

So far so good - I've added my home town paper, which has local news, sports, etc - I couldn't put it into any single category you list, so now when I go there the headline is "UNCATEGORIZED." So how do I create my own categories like local news, sports, etc that aren't already there. It's not obvious, but really necessary.

To create a category, tap the + button, then select "Add a news section", where you can give it a name and choose the feeds you'd like inside it. Don't worry if you don't get it right first time though, you can always reorganise things by tapping the Edit button, then choosing either a section or feed to modify feeds within sections or sections for feeds. (BTW, some customers haven't realised but the triangular arrow to the right of a section name will show/hide the feeds within it).

Chuck:

I've been watching your app for months, anxiously awaiting Google Reader integration and I'm significantly disappointed to hear this news. Was ready to buy, now going to wait on you (again).

There are several other apps in the App Store that have Google Reader sync. Many of them just your bare-bones RSS apps that don't have 1/10th the functionlity yours does. I should know as I've got 'em all.

Why for the love of everything holy did your team not build for Google Reader sync when every other Tom/Dick/Harry lame RSS app in the App Store has this as a built-in feature from the git-go? And, most importantly, when are you going to have Google Reader sync as part of Early Edition?

BJ

Thanks for this feedback. Whilst we have nothing against syncing with Google, we see The Early Edition as more of a standalone casual reading app, as opposed to a Google Reader client, which is aimed more at power users. Having said that, we're not ruling out sync for a future update. But the primary reason we added GR feed and folder importing was to give users a fast way of setting up the app with feeds.

Although you've totally done the bait and switch here I have to say your app is annoying at best. It's like meeting a super hot dude who is best when he keeps his mouth shut. Your app takes no less than 75 seconds to load 18 feeds. (i timed it) There is no rhyme or reason to the way fees are laid out when selecting "all fees". If I see that damn yellow post it note asking for feedback again I may scream. I think once one leaves feedback via email and in itunes that post it note should go away. Finally, there is a lag when a page is turned whether by tapping the arrow or swiping left or right.

Glad to see money paid for the app is going towards true enhancements in both function and performance. I do however appreciate the look of the app, but right now it's just pretty and based on your update I should not expect more.

Hopefully you're enjoying version 1.2 which was recently released? This update is much faster at fetching and has removed the yellow feedback sticky note. But as for the layout of articles, it's entirely chronological by post date (however if an article has no timestamp it will appear at the end of the paper).

At first I was thinking the categorization could make this a little more than eye candy, but I seem to be getting duplicate items on feeds, completely at random.

Again, this was fixed in 1.2. Or are you still experiencing this? Please let us know if you are.

You can't purge the database at present, but the crashing/instability as a database grows has been addressed in 1.2 and you should be having a much smoother and faster experience now.

I've extensively tested Early Edition and i like it, with a great BUT

I've 200 RSS Feeds implemented cause i want to get rid of the 1 App for 1 datasource. That i have used on my iPhone several years now and i like the way to summarize several news sources in one app

But:
- The categorization isn't as practical as expected. I cannot create sub categories, so i can create a Main category eg "International" and make sub categories "U.S.", "Europe" and so on.
- The categories are not sortable, they get sorted according to the Description of the feed, so the news selection is kinda random if i select the category tab
- News retrieval is about "all or nothing" with 200 news sources i want to be able to select a category and only these feeds are updated.
- App should be able to view videos if i select "View Source" and the original article with linked video content shows up

But in spite of the mentioned problems i like the app

Thanks for sharing your feedback. :)

... Chuck - you seem to have been less active in this thread recently. I hope things are still active with Early Edition; from what I've seen it deserves to be a success and I'd be interested in knowing whether the full-width landscape issue is likely to be addressed in a future version.

- Julian

Again, sorry for dropping off the radar, it was intentional.

Tested this and decided to drop $5 on it.

A fresh, new concept. Kudos to you for taking the usual (newspaper) and making it into something extraordinary.

Granted, the app is not perfect, and I have one MAJOR qualm with it that has been voiced here before:

PLEASE give us a way to categorize our categories. I don't necessarily want my "food" section to be popping up on the cover of the Early Edition, but I'd rather have the "tech" section there, per se.

It's not that big of a deal right now and I appreciate the fact you are actively developing, but I certainly hope you'll implement a way for us to pick what's the most important categories to us, to prioritize them.

A few other notes (been said before, but saying again):
- load times...a little too slow. I get that it needs to be organized, but surely there must be a way to speed it up a bit.
- back/forward buttons...when opening an individual article and clicking on a link from that article, it takes you to another page, but there is no way to get back to the article itself. A way to navigate back to the article where the link was would be great.
- some themes, perhaps? :)
- elimination of duplicate stories: some blogs (MacRumors, BGR, Engadget) post similar news stories (say...Bill Gates hired by Apple, lol)...I would get that story 3 different times, yet each article is pretty much the same. A way for the app to perhaps scope out similar stories and remove them (keeping the most "popular" one, perhaps, the one with the most comments...) would be great too.

All in a all, terrific work. I ditched Pulse for this.

Thanks for this feedback. Hopefully you'll be happier with 1.2 now that load times are much faster and there are back/forward buttons when you navigate away from the story you were originally reading in webview.

I had a quick play with this last night, but I couldn't see a way to have articles from the feeds appear in chronological order? It seemed to be putting them in groups by feed.

They are actually chronological, but as I said earlier articles that have no timestamp appear at the end of the paper. You can test this by tapping an article and seeing the post time/date just under the headline.

---

Thanks for the responses everyone! We've been really busy with iOS4 and the iPhone 4 releases so if you don't see too much from us straight away don't give up on us. There's some really cool stuff coming. :)

Scottland
Jul 2, 2010, 02:56 AM
Had another play with it last night and the order of the articles was much better, seems much better to read now :)

Pleased with the app, look forward to any updates you'll be making.

Southern Dad
Jul 3, 2010, 03:51 PM
I'm in the newspaper industry and read many papers each day. However like many I'm not a fan of all the advertising and tend to skip over most of it (Please don't tell the ad directorni said that part). This program gives me a neat way to quickly view the headlines and read only the stories I am interested in without getting ink on my fingertips.

lacker
Jul 24, 2010, 08:40 AM
After reading the efforts you have been putting in to improve speed and features, I decided to get the app. I was originally deciding between this or Pulse and well you got me. But just some things I don't like about it,

-All pages are in the same format, there isn't any new layout (might be wrong so correct me if I am)
-Speed & Performance of mostly the flipping of pages might need a improvement.

That's all for now but kudos on the effort on the newspaper like idea of an rss reader and looking forward to you future updates my friend. :cool:

Tommeh
Jul 25, 2010, 02:24 AM
I like this App very much. I love the idea of putting all kinds of RSS feeds in one list and creating a personal paper.

Chuck
Jul 25, 2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks guys. We're planning on more features this year but we've got another project to work on too, so thanks in advance for your patience. :)

(there are only two of us).

mamema
Jul 27, 2010, 09:59 AM
How is Early Edition compared to the application "My Newspaper" newly found on the app store?