PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPad Case Not Dockable

longofest
Apr 3, 2010, 09:43 AM
Apple's iPad case is NOT dockable with the iPad Dock. You can use the 30-pin to USB cable with the case, but it can't be used with any dock that stands the iPad up without taking the case off first.

evilyankeefan
Apr 3, 2010, 10:11 AM
I just found that out :( Need to decide if I want to return the case now.

raremage
Apr 3, 2010, 10:17 AM
I just found that out :( Need to decide if I want to return the case now.

Yeah, thought that might be the case. I bought both a case and a dock but not sure how I want to handle it either. One will probably go back.

stridemat
Apr 3, 2010, 10:19 AM
Is the case not for more external use? While the dock is obviously internal?

bumzo1
Apr 3, 2010, 10:21 AM
doesn't the case have a built in stand? Seems like you wouldn't need the dock

evilyankeefan
Apr 3, 2010, 10:26 AM
The case does have a built-in dock when you flap the cover around which is convenient. Using the dock however frees up more desk space. Taking it out of the case just to dock it can become a pain real fast

This is the same type of issue with iPhones and cases and I should have known better.

Avicdar
Apr 3, 2010, 10:27 AM
doesn't the case have a built in stand? Seems like you wouldn't need the dock

Ditto. If you use it in landscape mode you should still be able to charge it with the cable and use it at the same time with the stand engaged.

Timothy
Apr 3, 2010, 10:29 AM
That's too bad. I'll be returning my case. Taking it out of the case to dock it is just not practical.

nagromme
Apr 3, 2010, 10:37 AM
Apple’s not the first source I’d ever think of for cases. Somehow, from the old iPod “holsters” to their various Mini/Nano accessories, they just don’t seem to be the best they can be.

I like the way it props up, but I think there’s room for third-party innovation. I want a case that props in portrait OR landscape, AND opens up on one edge for docking. And one that adds less bulk than Apple’s does.

jhvander
Apr 3, 2010, 10:50 AM
i want a case with a keyboard in it

FlashHead
Apr 3, 2010, 10:55 AM
Would you please comment on how easy it is to remove the iPad from the case. Does it snap on? Is this something you would want to do daily so you can use it naked, and then case it for travel, typing, stand?

Thanks

iBrod
Apr 3, 2010, 11:00 AM
What I'm going to do is buy the :apple: iPad Case and the :apple: Wireless Keyboard to avoid the problem. And the Keyboard Dock and the Wireless Keyboard are the same price so, you aren't having to spend more money!! :)

RTiii320
Apr 3, 2010, 11:34 AM
Is the case not for more external use? While the dock is obviously internal?

Lol. Seems so logical too some, yet so bizarre to others.

thatisme
Apr 3, 2010, 11:41 AM
the case is thin enough that I may just cut out the hole where the dock goes to the same witdth as the dock... it should work then... I noticed that the thickness of the case on the back of the iPad does not interfere with the back brace on the dock... the only thing keeping it from making the connection is the fused seam on the case.

Kenal0
Apr 3, 2010, 11:51 AM
the case is thin enough that I may just cut out the hole where the dock goes to the same witdth as the dock... it should work then... I noticed that the thickness of the case on the back of the iPad does not interfere with the back brace on the dock... the only thing keeping it from making the connection is the fused seam on the case.

Please post how this works if you do this. I think it is a good idea.

aristotle
Apr 3, 2010, 12:12 PM
Are you people serious? Is this why there are so many warning labels on everything? Use your heads people.

Is this thread making anyone else think of Brawndo?

alphaod
Apr 3, 2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah sometimes it's not as obvious as people think it is. I didn't realize this until I put the iPad in the case.

I might go back for a neoprene sleeve. Good thing Apple has a 14-day no restock fee return policy. And I think the case is pretty crappy.

longofest
Apr 3, 2010, 12:29 PM
Would you please comment on how easy it is to remove the iPad from the case.

It's not something you want to constantly be taking on and off. It fits pretty snuggly. No snaps.

tobyringle
Apr 3, 2010, 01:06 PM
I kind of feel silly now for spending $30 on the dock. I like the case and will keep it. You won't find any case that will allow you to dock it with the case on. I never thought of just using the stand of the case while charging.

unkn0wnsoldier
Apr 3, 2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks for bringing this up. I planned on getting the case and dock. I'm just going to get the case now.

Richdmoore
Apr 3, 2010, 03:02 PM
I thought they would both work together as well. I am probably going to return the dock, I can probably find some kind of generic stand and just route a normal iPod cable into the bottom.

jeepik
Apr 3, 2010, 03:12 PM
I'm returning the dock as well

I really like the case and am definitely keeping it

foxnews1
Apr 3, 2010, 03:24 PM
Can someone take some pictures of the case? Can you fold it flat in the back? Not At tying angle.

macmyworld
Apr 3, 2010, 03:38 PM
I have the case and dock. Like others said, I do not recommend purchasing both.

I will probably only use the case for traveling, so I can still use the dock at home.

diddl14
Apr 3, 2010, 03:39 PM
What I'm going to do is buy the :apple: iPad Case and the :apple: Wireless Keyboard to avoid the problem. And the Keyboard Dock and the Wireless Keyboard are the same price so, you aren't having to spend more money!! :)
He, are you also going to get one of those wireless power supplies announced last thursday?

rstansby
Apr 3, 2010, 05:18 PM
Personally I don't have much use for docks. If I want to use the iPad, I will want to pick it up and hold it in my hands. With a regular charging cord I can hold the device while it continues to charge.

Also the dock connector is in the wrong orientation for watching movies, which seems like the most obvious use for a dock.

neutrinosllc
Apr 3, 2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks for bringing this up. I planned on getting the case and dock. I'm just going to get the case now.

Good call. I'll be returning our dock. Doesn't seem necessary. The Apple store employees could have at least mentioned that the two products are not compatible with each other. We didn't buy any other accessories, so either they aren't aware or they are and specifically aren't saying anything about it.

SWC
Apr 3, 2010, 08:46 PM
I will be returning the case as I think it pretty much sucks and goes along with ever other apple made case ive seen. Going to try the incase kickstand case.

4nNtt
Apr 3, 2010, 10:58 PM
I was wondering the same thing, so i decided not to pre-order the dock. I'm planning to use it for business, so I think the case is more important.

sonofpismo
Apr 3, 2010, 11:36 PM
ANyone without he dock, would the iPhone stand in it?

I have a case that keeps my iPhone 3GS from fitting in it's dock. Could I use the iPad dock with my iPhone?

Your thoughts?

NJRonbo
Apr 4, 2010, 01:09 PM
What case are you guys talking about?

Is it the one Apple is selling here?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC361ZM/A

It's not even available yet -- that is, unless stores
have been getting them prior to release date.

bludodge
Apr 4, 2010, 01:23 PM
I like the Apple case, because it was thinner than anything else at the apple store. I bought the dock too, kinda knowing it might not work. I though about trimming the case as well, but I think the folded back flap would still be an issue. Last night I sat it up in portrait mode and plugged the cord that came with it into the wall to charge it. Yeah the cord out the side was unsightly, but it worked, I think I will take that dock back to get my $30 back.

ipoddin
Apr 4, 2010, 01:34 PM
What case are you guys talking about?

Is it the one Apple is selling here?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC361ZM/A

It's not even available yet -- that is, unless stores
have been getting them prior to release date.

It was available in stores yesterday. I got one.

greenteaman87
Apr 4, 2010, 02:50 PM
How is taking something out of its case and putting it somewhere a hassle? I have to take my itouch out of its case to hook it up to my surround sound set. Are you all really that lazy that you cannot take 5 whole seconds to move it from one thing to another? I need some clarification here.:confused:

Sir Cecil
Apr 4, 2010, 03:02 PM
How is taking something out of its case and putting it somewhere a hassle? I have to take my itouch out of its case to hook it up to my surround sound set. Are you all really that lazy that you cannot take 5 whole seconds to move it from one thing to another? I need some clarification here.:confused:

I doubt it's much to do with being lazy. If someone buys a case to protect something, it defeats the objective somewhat if the case has to keep coming off to perform basic tasks. Kind of like if you bought a plastic raincoat but had to take it off and get soaked every time you wanted to take something out of your pocket. Does that make it easier for you to fathom?

TheScappian
Apr 4, 2010, 03:20 PM
Case stays dock goes back to the store

greenteaman87
Apr 4, 2010, 09:16 PM
I doubt it's much to do with being lazy. If someone buys a case to protect something, it defeats the objective somewhat if the case has to keep coming off to perform basic tasks. Kind of like if you bought a plastic raincoat but had to take it off and get soaked every time you wanted to take something out of your pocket. Does that make it easier for you to fathom?

I understand a little better. I think I'm too simple a person to worry about that sort of thing with technology I buy. I like to worry about the performance over everything else. But we all have our different preferences. I can't wait to get it though I'm souped!

ArcAngel66
Apr 4, 2010, 09:49 PM
At first this news bummed me out. But then I realized...

The dock is kind of pointless really...

My iPhone uses the dock because it's nice to see incoming messages/calls while I'm at my desk. But the ipad won't be getting those...

The dock is pointless for movies too IMO, who wants to watch a movie in portrait?

The only use I see the dock having is for making the ipad a digital picture frame.

Apple really needs to just make a new universal dock that supports all iPads and iPhones and the iPod touch. Heck I'd be nice for them to release a Mag-Safe to 30pin connector adapter. So I could charge all my Apple products from one outlet/cable.

I just wish the ipad was compatible with the MacBook Pro's charger... Because now I need a charger for my MBP, my iPhone, AND my ipad all at once. (unless I want to unplug the iPhone dock to charge my ipad).

But guys... I'm not at all doubting you, but how exactly does it NOT fit? How does the regular 30pin fit and not the dock? Where is it catching? Does the case make the ipad too "tall" for the connector? Or what...

dagamer34
Apr 4, 2010, 10:58 PM
iPad case > iPad dock. It's too much of a pain to get the iPad out of the case just to dock it. And because a case is just necessary to protect the iPad at all times, it wins. I definitely wouldn't recommend purchasing both.

neutrinosllc
Apr 5, 2010, 01:08 AM
Is anyone compiling the laptops and accessories that don't power the iPad? My iPad charges on my mini, but not my Dell D630.

Also curious if anyone has a recommendation on long cheap USB to iPad cables / wall usb adapters that are known to work on the device.

spacepower7
Apr 5, 2010, 01:29 AM
I will be returning the case as I think it pretty much sucks and goes along with ever other apple made case ive seen. Going to try the incase kickstand case.

I dislike the Apple case. Very uncomfortable if I plan on holding the case with my left hand while navigating with my right. The sharp edges are so plastic MacBook. Maybe mine is defective but I plan on returning the Apple case Monday morning. It's that bad for MY usage scenarios. Reminds me of iPod socks.

goobot
Apr 5, 2010, 01:35 AM
What a deal breaker. Well im gana get a dock and look to see if any of those rubber cases fit with it

CJS7070
Apr 5, 2010, 01:48 AM
I think I'm going to get the case instead of the dock... I can always just lay it down on the desk, and I would like some sort of stand when using it.

soch
Apr 5, 2010, 02:04 AM
Here is something I designed for my iPad.
Wooden iPad Stand (http://smartyapps.com/content/ipad-maple-wood-standholder-0)

zacheryjensen
Apr 5, 2010, 02:32 AM
I'm using something along the lines of:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002RWYGY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0007UM0JW&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0BPVVFC0E7TN6XZA7FVK

Basically it is a photo frame tabletop easel. I got the one I actually use from walmart for 2.50. I can put the iPad in it in both orientations while plugged in.

Cord is kinda uggo, and I will reconsider an official dock someday, but for now I thought I would try the cheapo methods first. I did order a case and will have to weigh that into a dock decision but, I am not too worried about it. The frame easel is rather perfect for now.

macduke
Apr 5, 2010, 06:14 AM

Trust me. Taking the iPad out of it's case and putting it back in is a real pain. The thing is such a tight squeeze! I felt like I was either going to rip the case, or break the screen from gripping and pulling it so hard. The thing that sucks though is that it looks really nice naked in the dock, and the case makes typing so much better when you tilt it at an angle.

Random answers: yes, the case folds flat. The iPad dock connector is way more sensitive than the iPhone. If it barely pulls away you lose power or VGA connection to tv. It's kinda a pain. Oh beta testing. That's the price we pay for bleeding edge. That and about 256mb of missing RAM.

lakerholic
Apr 5, 2010, 02:11 PM
Bought both the case and the dock because the Apple Store employee told me they were compatible with one another... a little peeved at the lack of correct info, but am glad I bought both to try them out.

As with others, case is staying and dock is going back :)

sboerup
Apr 5, 2010, 02:18 PM
yep, official case is NOT dockable. I dont think the dock is even necessary so it is going back. The case is nice.

I just called Apple store and sort of mentioned that their sales team recommended both, but they are not compatible with each other. I asked if I could return it without the restock fee and they agreed. So, dock is going back.

Clix Pix
Apr 5, 2010, 02:22 PM
Right now I've got the iPad in the Apple iPad case, trying it out. The first couple of days I used the dock. I will probably end up keeping both, because I think much of the time my iPad will be going naked around the house, only needing to be put into some kind of case when going out.

ipoddin
Apr 5, 2010, 11:46 PM

You have no idea how much of a pain it is to remove the iPad from the apple case.

bludodge
Apr 5, 2010, 11:48 PM
You have no idea how much of a pain it is to remove the iPad from the apple case.

Ditto, its not a "skin" you can just roll off the thing.

bludodge
Apr 5, 2010, 11:49 PM
I bought a apple ipad case (http://www.uxsight.com/product/56210/for-apple-ipad-case-back-cover-silicone-skin-red.html) from a store, but I lost it a few days ago, where can I buy a similar one with this, thanks.

Lost it a few days ago? Like the day it came out?

jpmartineau
Apr 6, 2010, 09:04 AM
I managed to solve the dock/case problem. It takes 5 minutes, a ruler and a pair of scissors. Pics and details here (http://www.jpmartineau.com/blog/?p=121).

Check it out.

JP

cmbarclay
Apr 6, 2010, 09:14 AM
Here is a possible solution:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002USUKPU/ref=oss_product

msduncan
Apr 6, 2010, 09:49 AM
Count me among those that (before I got my iPad case) thought: just take the dang thing out of the case when you want to dock it.

That fantasy ended when the iPad case came in. It takes considerable work to get the ipad into the case. This isn't a bad thing -- it means it fits very snug and secure in it. The side effect is that I don't want to remove it. I just keep it in there, and I LOVE the case.

So... my iPad dock comes in tomorrow, and I'm going to take it back to the Apple Store.

They really should have designed the official case to work with the official dock. It's mind boggling why they didn't think of it, and I can't say I'm not disappointed about it. I'll be even more disappointed when I get hit with the restocking fee. I guess I could technically get visa to reverse charges, but I hate doing that unless I have to.

Anyway... I'm going to try to get them to let me just exchange it for something else.

alFR
Apr 6, 2010, 09:54 AM
I managed to solve the dock/case problem. It takes 5 minutes, a ruler and a pair of scissors. Pics and details here (http://www.jpmartineau.com/blog/?p=121).

Check it out.

JP

Would that also have worked if you just widened the hole in the bottom of the case (the existing dock connector hole) and didn't cut the section out of the rear of the case?

jpmartineau
Apr 6, 2010, 11:37 AM
Would that also have worked if you just widened the hole in the bottom of the case (the existing dock connector hole) and didn't cut the section out of the rear of the case?

I found that the issue was not only the case preventing the connector part of the dock going all the way in the iPad, but it was also preventing them to align together unless I pressed on the iPad. Of course, your mileage may vary.

PinkyMacGodess
Apr 6, 2010, 12:56 PM
I'm kinda pissed right now. Y'all have the case from Apple, right? I ordered the Apple iPad case with my iPad and it's not going to ship until the 15th!

It makes me wonder what the hell is going on in Cupertino...

Have to laugh though because the local Worst Try doesn't have any accessories for the iPad at all... No cases, no nothing... (I didn't ask if they had them for sale, they had the displays) I have though about driving to the 'local' Apple Store but will save the gas and wait it out. Plus with some of the issues that I've had, I don't know how whether I'll keep it even...

diabolic
Apr 6, 2010, 01:00 PM
I have though about driving to the 'local' Apple Store but will save the gas and wait it out. Plus with some of the issues that I've had, I don't know how whether I'll keep it even...

The Apple store here had a lot of cases when I was in there yesterday.

dissdnt
Apr 6, 2010, 01:03 PM
Best Buy has cases. I cancelled mine from Apple since it wasn't shipping until the end of the month.

PinkyMacGodess
Apr 6, 2010, 01:08 PM
The Apple store here had a lot of cases when I was in there yesterday.

Then what the hell am I waiting for? This makes no sense... WTF! I went to the Worst Try to see if they had an Incase one to use in the interim and found out, as stated, they had nothing. The 'local' Apple Store is nearly 2 hours away and I'd hate to get there and find them sold out... Did any of the Apple Stores sell out of them, the iPads or accessories?

This is stupid... If the stores had them, why make people wait...

Does anyone have the Incase case? I'm referring to this one: Incase Protective Cover (http://store.apple.com/us/product/H0967ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU2Mjc&mco=MTc0MjY5MDY)... It makes the back flat which sounds like a good idea...

PinkyMacGodess
Apr 6, 2010, 01:13 PM
I'll take that back... The only accessory they had was the iPad to VGA adapter and there was some argument amongst the 'knowledgeable' sales people over what it was and why it was there. Evidently someone thought it was for the MBP and was mislabeled... Seriously...

Dorv
Apr 6, 2010, 03:41 PM
I just called Apple store and sort of mentioned that their sales team recommended both, but they are not compatible with each other. I asked if I could return it without the restock fee and they agreed. So, dock is going back.

Pretty sure there's not a restock fee on accessories as long as you have the original packaging and such.

asterix74
Oct 20, 2010, 09:38 AM
i didn't want to cut/modify the case. So I looked at the dock. I removed the gray strip with a knife/leatherman tool, starting from the middle at the connector location. After this removal the Apple Case does fit the dock!

It was a one minute job, and reversable to the orgional state as well.

PLamarine
Mar 13, 2011, 02:57 PM
i didn't want to cut/modify the case. So I looked at the dock. I removed the gray strip with a knife/leatherman tool, starting from the middle at the connector location. After this removal the Apple Case does fit the dock!

It was a one minute job, and reversable to the orgional state as well.

Thanks for the tip. Worked like a charm!