PDA

View Full Version : Incase convertible book jacket -Great

freitas
Apr 3, 2010, 01:56 PM
Got the iPad this morning and was going to pickup the apple case too as they were also in stock. I ended up grabbing the incase convertible book jacket. It is a larger folio style case that doubles as a stand. It is a great case for those who want to prop the iPhone up when laying on the couch. The case also looks like it would protect the iPad well. The case is bulky and adds to the weight. But deserves a look if your want a versatile convertible case. And the iPad can be removed when you want thin and light.

UMHurricanes34
Apr 3, 2010, 01:58 PM
I'm very interested in this case, can you post some pictures of the inside? Incase neglects to show this on their website

jedolley
Apr 3, 2010, 02:00 PM
Yes, pictures please.

MatthewStorm
Apr 3, 2010, 02:01 PM
+1 Pics please.

epi117
Apr 3, 2010, 02:12 PM
http://goincase.com/products/detail/CL57512

freitas
Apr 3, 2010, 02:22 PM
Here are some quick iphone snapshots.

The case is really nice. You can see the ridges (three total) on the inside front cover that are used to set the angle. I have been using it for surfing and ebook reading while laying on the couch, just as I would with my macbook pro.

Again not the case for you if you want thin and light. But perfect for the couch potato that doesn't want to have to hold in hand or prop on your leg.

Enjoy!

TxMacAddict
Apr 3, 2010, 02:25 PM
This is exactly the type of case I wanted from incase but why does it have to be so thick!!

0s and 1s
Apr 3, 2010, 02:28 PM
Ugh. It looked bulky, so I opted for the Apple case.

A closer inspection makes me think it would have been a better purchase.

freitas
Apr 3, 2010, 02:41 PM
Ugh. It looked bulky, so I opted for the Apple case.

A closer inspection makes me think it would have been a better purchase.

It is bulky. But I figure I can always take it out. Also the iPad is well protected and the case is ideal for my usage patterns.

Sounds Good
Apr 3, 2010, 02:46 PM
Seeing this picture really makes me wish you could use a mouse with the iPad.

Not all the time, of course... but some of time.

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=220666&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1270322186

TxMacAddict
Apr 3, 2010, 02:57 PM
Freitas.. can the front cover of the book jacket be folded flat behind or is it always off to the side when you hold it?

phillyred79
Apr 3, 2010, 03:11 PM
I got the incase as well.. It takes away from the sexiness of holding the iPad, but if you want protection and practicalness it works well. $50 though which I think is kinda steep... I think I want an alternative too that is a little more form fitting- they had a neoprene one there (at the apple store) that looked nice..

phillyred79
Apr 3, 2010, 03:12 PM
Yes, but it's not super flat- a little bulky.
Freitas.. can the front cover of the book jacket be folded flat behind or is it always off to the side when you hold it?

freitas
Apr 3, 2010, 03:15 PM

Yes.

TxMacAddict
Apr 3, 2010, 03:28 PM
cool thanks for the pic. It was $60? I'm seeing Best Buy list it at $50.

FWW
Apr 3, 2010, 03:32 PM
Seems rather inelegant, but to each his/her own, I suppose.

freitas
Apr 3, 2010, 03:35 PM
I definitely prefer using the ipad while it is in this case. Frees my hands to type and make full use of two hand multitouch.

TypeZero3
Apr 3, 2010, 08:54 PM
is there a mode to type in? is it that 1st slot? I'm looking at the case wondering if i should open it do you think that you could show me a typing configuration sort of like the apple case?

freitas
Apr 4, 2010, 12:34 AM
The third picture above is about the best typing config.

phillyred79
Apr 4, 2010, 12:43 AM
I ended up taking mine back and exchanging it for the clear plastic grippy one by Belkin... The incase one was just too bulky and took away from the sexiness of holding the iPad..

sonictonic
Apr 4, 2010, 01:26 AM
Thanks for posting these pics. I'm gonna need to think about this some more... :p

ChiliBlue
Apr 4, 2010, 01:29 AM
Oh, I wish I had gotten that one. :(

I got the purple Incase grip cover and I'm not happy with it. I love the back of the grip case (it has 'bumps' to help grip the device while holding it in landscape mode) but it attracts every piece of dog and cat hair in the house. :o

I'm going to continue to use it until more cases come out and hopefully find something better.

FlashHead
Apr 4, 2010, 01:36 AM
I'm going to try a different option that is worth a look (no affiliation with the company). This case has all the functionality of the iPad case (including an angled typing stand position), plus a hand strap when open, plus it's ecologically friendly leather. The other advantage is that it looks like an easy process to place in and take out of the case, since I will want to use it naked often, but still protect it for transport and have a stand when I want. This is the most handsome, functional case I've run across. And it's only $44.

http://www.marware.com/products/iPad;jsessionid=0a0106521f4343ed19dcefdc486d9966ed8b9605954c.e3eSc34RbhyRe34Pa38Ta3aMbN10

ubercool
Apr 4, 2010, 01:41 AM
I ended up taking mine back and exchanging it for the clear plastic grippy one by Belkin... The incase one was just too bulky and took away from the sexiness of holding the iPad..

I also thought it was too bulky. And I wasn't crazy about the cheap cover finish, but the adjustable ridged stand is nice. :)

Don Kosak
Apr 4, 2010, 01:50 AM
I bought this case earlier today.

The dock connector, buttons and switches are all accessible.

Also, there is a band (like the one on Moleskin Notbooks) that snaps around to securely close the book case. By accident or design, when this band is closed, it covers the power button, making it very difficult to accidently power on your iPad.

It is thicker than some other cases, but if you're planning on tossing it into a carry-on or backpack, that's a good thing.

UnseenLlama
Apr 5, 2010, 10:59 AM
Was debating between this one and the Apple one this morning at the store. I'm going to take my Apple case back and get this one, even if a little bulky. The Apple case would have slit my wrist someday... :cool:

den4ps
Apr 7, 2010, 08:07 AM
i like the case but i have two major issues that I posted in an informal, but very detailed, review on my website:

http://jeffdenapoli.wordpress.com/2010/04/06/incase-convertible-book-jacket-for-ipad-review/

How are you guys getting the thing to stay propped up in the first position (the one closest to lying flat). When I rest it on the outermost lip, the thing just collapses on itself and it doesn't look like the case is damaged in any way. Not to mention that when it is at either of the other positions, the iPad slips out and the ports become covered up.

freitas
Apr 7, 2010, 08:11 AM
i like the case but i have two major issues that I posted in an informal, but very detailed, review on my website:

How are you guys getting the thing to stay propped up in the first position (the one closest to lying flat). When I rest it on the outermost lip, the thing just collapses on itself and it doesn't look like the case is damaged in any way. Not to mention that when it is at either of the other positions, the iPad slips out and the ports become covered up.

These are two flaws I have noticed two. I have to constantly reseat the ipad in the case because it shifts just enough to keep me from inserting the dock connector. As for the first point I have less of an issue, but from time to time it does slip loose from that first position.

fishmd
Apr 7, 2010, 08:28 AM

http://jeffdenapoli.wordpress.com/2010/04/06/incase-convertible-book-jacket-for-ipad-review/

Very nice review man. It gave a lot of good information about the case in the different viewing angles. Now i think i am gonna have to avoid this case for now as those flaws you point out would be pretty big ones for me and how I would want to use it. :p

undrpsi
Apr 7, 2010, 08:34 AM
I got one of the original Incase holster/covers for my iPhone and it's still wrapped around my 2g iPhone. LOVED it and it was very well constructed. The rest of my family have iPhones and I think they have all had 3 or 4 cases due to breakage/wear and ergonomics. I have always been pro-incase. ;)

Having said that, the case 'looks' fat and I don't see how it can stay in the 'notches' while you're typing on it. :confused:

I like the Apple case from the looks only department. Mine's on back-order till 4-15 so I still have time. I should, if I had time, head over to my ACR Best Buy and check out the cases.

Any other's at Best Buy?

I LOL'd about the silicone picking up hair and lint...I was really thinking about that for the "grippy" effect...just didn't know it "gripped" that well :eek:

Thanks for input!

OBTW - Target had some paded 10" netbook envelope type bags on clearance...got one for $6. It works great to carry the iPad around. They also had Sony BT earphones for a little under $40 on sale. YMMV.

Jay

Sent from my Lenova Workstation (hahah)

Sounds Good
Apr 7, 2010, 08:35 AM
I was considering the Apple case for my mom's iPad, but now I've gotta give it some thought.

Can someone please outline the reasons why the InCase jacket is better than the Apple case... or vice-versa?

Thanks.

r0k
Apr 7, 2010, 08:41 AM
I picked up the $39 Apple case on Saturday with my iPad. It really should have come with the iPad and perhaps in the future it will. I like the look and feel of some of these other cases. In particular, I would like a case that allows me to store a few papers that get handed out during class for example. I had to fold the 8.5x11 sheets in half and toss them in my iPad case and pay attention to make sure they didn't fall out as I walked to my car. This isn't such a big drawback and the Apple case adds very little bulk to the iPad so I'll stick with it for now.

@den4ps: Nice revew! (I had to turn off javascript to get your wordpress page to load in under 10 minutes. Not sure what the problem was.)

den4ps
Apr 7, 2010, 09:35 AM
@den4ps: Nice revew! (I had to turn off javascript to get your wordpress page to load in under 10 minutes. Not sure what the problem was.)

wordpress.com tends to have some delays at certain times during the day. sorry about that. i think the threaded commenting system that is built in is what kills it.