PDA

View Full Version : iPad Case

tfrees
Apr 3, 2010, 10:27 PM
Did anyone get the apple case? Is it worth it?

melman101
Apr 3, 2010, 10:29 PM

I got the apple case and love it. Definitely think it's worth it :-)

The only thing is, in the case it doesn't fit in the dock, so be mindful of that :-)

NewSc2
Apr 3, 2010, 10:31 PM
I like it, but I'm trying to figure out the correct way to hold the iPad with the case on. I've kind of defaulted to leaving it in "stand" form and holding it like a binder. Easier to pick up, set down, use on a table, etc.

chhhrrriiisss
Apr 3, 2010, 10:35 PM
My girlfriend got me the incase convertible book jacket. It is super nice but I honestly prefer using it naked most of the time.

tobyringle
Apr 3, 2010, 10:36 PM
After visiting 2 Best Buys, I finally located an iPad case at the Apple Store. I actually like the case a lot. It has a very slim profile and the iPad fits very snug. I wouldn't bother buying a dock, as you can't use it while the iPad is in the case. You will really like the option of folding the front cover over to elevate the iPad as you type.

CJS7070
Apr 3, 2010, 10:40 PM
My Best Buy was sold out of the cases, so I'll probably order one online instead :/

samcraig
Apr 3, 2010, 10:41 PM
anyone figure out the reason behind the extra flap of material?

azboricua
Apr 3, 2010, 10:43 PM
After visiting 2 Best Buys, I finally located an iPad case at the Apple Store. I actually like the case a lot. It has a very slim profile and the iPad fits very snug. I wouldn't bother buying a dock, as you can't use it while the iPad is in the case. You will really like the option of folding the front cover over to elevate the iPad as you type.

I walked into best buy to buy the case and made the mistake of asking one of the workers stationed in the apple section. He looked smart until he opened his mouth and said, "There is not an Apple branded case for the iPad" /facepalm

Apples biggest mistake was having the stupid Best Buy employees touch their products. Those guys barely know their head from their a$$. Lol!

To answer your question, yes, the case is well worth the money. Mine would not get here until Tuesday so I ran to my local apple store to get one. My iPad spent 30 seconds naked and that felt like too long.

ImperialX
Apr 3, 2010, 10:45 PM
Is it easy to take it out of the case? I think I will use it naked quite often.

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 3, 2010, 10:45 PM
I was very surprised by how thin the package was. I'm thankful I bought one because I got Steve Wozniak to sign mine, and the case is protecting his signature from dust, dirt, etc.

funkeruski
Apr 3, 2010, 10:46 PM

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=889045

azboricua
Apr 3, 2010, 10:47 PM

Yes, you tuck it in to lock the iPad in place. Put the iPad in and then tuck it in under the iPad. Look up some you tube videos that review it, it will show you how to do it.

cyclingplatypus
Apr 3, 2010, 10:50 PM

You fold it in behind the iPad to protect the side, kind of like folding the flap of an envelope in.

EDIT: azboricua posted as I was typing, getting slower as I get older.

MobyIck
Apr 3, 2010, 10:54 PM

Personally I dislike the apple case. I hate the sharp edges. If they could just smooth the sides out so that it was more comfortable to grip, it would be perfect.

epi117
Apr 3, 2010, 10:57 PM
My girlfriend got me the incase convertible book jacket. It is super nice but I honestly prefer using it naked most of the time.

I got same one, its sweet, works perfect

ipoddin
Apr 3, 2010, 11:00 PM
Is it easy to take it out of the case? I think I will use it naked quite often.

No it is not. My biggest beef with it. Otherwise the stand works great on your lap or desk.

h00ligan
Apr 3, 2010, 11:03 PM
I like it, but I'm trying to figure out the correct way to hold the iPad with the case on. I've kind of defaulted to leaving it in "stand" form and holding it like a binder. Easier to pick up, set down, use on a table, etc.

That's how I am doing it too. Not sure about the apple case. We will see what else is out soon.

abijnk
Apr 3, 2010, 11:03 PM
I picked it up even though I'm not crazy about the styling. The functionality is really great.

sonictonic
Apr 3, 2010, 11:16 PM
I got same one, its sweet, works perfect

That incase is kinda pricey IMO but looks nice. Is it really great? Quality wise? How it feels? Does it stand up like the Apple case does both orientations?

I'm trying to decide if I should order it right now since the Apple case is backordered a bit...

Ctrl2k
Apr 3, 2010, 11:35 PM
I kind of hated it at first. It obscures the pretty aluminum case for one, has sharp edges for two. And at first the "cover" seems to get in the way.

But over time you realize it's easier to grip than the glass/metal combo of a naked iPad, and the "stand" functionality works very well. That functionality also lets you hold the thing like a binder to get a better grip.

All in all, it's a decent case. It definitely does not fit in the iPad dock though, so don't buy both.

tobyringle
Apr 3, 2010, 11:37 PM

The extra flap is suppose to be tucked behind your iPad. I didn't know either until I saw instructions on the plastic sleeve that covered the case.

jster25
Apr 3, 2010, 11:38 PM
Did anyone here keep the original plastic on when using the case or is it just me?! lol kinda scared of having smudges and I'll probably keep it on till I get an iPad screen protector.

ozziegn
Apr 3, 2010, 11:40 PM
I got the Apple case and it looks nice. I'm still trying to find something as nice but cheaper on eBay. Hopefully I can find something before my return period is over on the case. If not then it won't be no big deal.

psychonaut
Apr 3, 2010, 11:42 PM
That incase is kinda pricey IMO but looks nice. Is it really great? Quality wise? How it feels? Does it stand up like the Apple case does both orientations?

I'm trying to decide if I should order it right now since the Apple case is backordered a bit...

Yeah the incase one is expensive but after looking at them both in the apple store today i still went with it.

The incase adds some bulk where the apple brand really does not however the incase feels good in hand and can be held like a binder or stand with three different adjustment levels. Overall i think it was worth it for me since i like the multiple stand angles for typing on my lap or viewing videos.

h00ligan
Apr 4, 2010, 02:36 AM
The incase one was sold out at the best buy close to me. They still had 30 ipads and 10 apple cases. I actually wonder if they sold out of ipads today. They had over 60 at open.

john3478
Apr 4, 2010, 02:41 AM

initially, I don't want to get Apple case but once I used it, it is absolutely worthed.

spacepower7
Apr 4, 2010, 02:56 AM
Personally I dislike the apple case. I hate the sharp edges. If they could just smooth the sides out so that it was more comfortable to grip, it would be perfect.

My first thought, the sharp edges. I'm thinking that the incase sleeve and silicon protector are the to go. If you were ever bothered by the plastic MacBook edges you'll hate the Apple case. I took mine out of the case and an running naked for the last 4 hours with only a 16% dent in battery life

Stoney79
Apr 4, 2010, 02:56 AM
Does the front cover fold over and keep flat behind the iPad? Or does it get in the way when you're not using it as a stand? Cheers

FlashHead
Apr 4, 2010, 03:06 AM
I think I found a case that will provide the functionality that I like about the Apple Case, but with an added hand strap when open and in ecologically friendly leather. I've heard the Apple Case fits very snuggly, maybe too snugly. My goal is to use the case for transport protection and as a stand and typing platform when needed, but will definitely want to use the iPad naked for stretches throughout the day. I believe the Marware case will be far easier to frequently remove and replace the iPad.

I've ordered both and will see which I prefer.
Apple Case: $39
Marware Case: $44.99

http://www.marware.com/products/iPad;jsessionid=0a0106521f4343ed19dcefdc486d9966ed8b9605954c.e3eSc34RbhyRe34Pa38Ta3aMbN10

jedolley
Apr 4, 2010, 03:21 AM
I think I found a case that will provide the functionality that I like about the Apple Case, but with an added hand strap when open and in ecologically friendly leather. I've heard the Apple Case fits very snuggly, maybe too snugly. My goal is to use the case for transport protection and as a stand and typing platform when needed, but will definitely want to use the iPad naked for stretches throughout the day. I believe the Marware case will be far easier to frequently remove and replace the iPad.

I've ordered both and will see which I prefer.
Apple Case: $39
Marware Case: $44.99

http://www.marware.com/products/iPad;jsessionid=0a0106521f4343ed19dcefdc486d9966ed8b9605954c.e3eSc34RbhyRe34Pa38Ta3aMbN10

Was actually thinking about doing the same thing. I'm probably going to head to the Apple store on Monday and see if they have a case. Was also going to order the Marware which could arrive by end of the week if ordered before Monday.

My only problem with Marware and other straight from the manufacturer cases is that they appear to be showing up as pre-orders on other sites for MUCH lower. For example, when I was considering the Macally BookStand ($49 on Macally's site), I noticed that sites like MacMall, and Provantage have it for preorder for $37 and $33 respectively. The Marware case appears to be in the same situation. $45 on Marware's site, but is up for pre-order on two sites for around $30.

FlashHead
Apr 4, 2010, 04:01 AM
Was actually thinking about doing the same thing. I'm probably going to head to the Apple store on Monday and see if they have a case. Was also going to order the Marware which could arrive by end of the week if ordered before Monday.

My only problem with Marware and other straight from the manufacturer cases is that they appear to be showing up as pre-orders on other sites for MUCH lower. For example, when I was considering the Macally BookStand ($49 on Macally's site), I noticed that sites like MacMall, and Provantage have it for preorder for $37 and $33 respectively. The Marware case appears to be in the same situation. $45 on Marware's site, but is up for pre-order on two sites for around $30.

Interesting. I've already ordered the Marware. It would be nice to get it for $30 instead of $45, but I don't really want to wait around for a "pre-order" to go live. The $15 won't break me and it will be done with. Just hope the case is as ideal for me as it appears.

shk718
Apr 4, 2010, 08:42 AM
i was going to get the dock but canceled the order - i figured if i turned the case upside down i could plug the connector into the top and use the case as a dock.

peteyyt
Apr 4, 2010, 09:32 AM
So I bought Apple's case and I like it but don't love it. The edges are sharp, and the case itself makes the iPad look a lot less attractive. It's definitely functional, but not in an elegant Apple-like way.

Side question: if I returned my Apple case to the store opened, would they accept it for exchange?

tobyringle
Apr 4, 2010, 09:40 AM
My first thought, the sharp edges. I'm thinking that the incase sleeve and silicon protector are the to go. If you were ever bothered by the plastic MacBook edges you'll hate the Apple case. I took mine out of the case and an running naked for the last 4 hours with only a 16% dent in battery life

It folds relatively flat. Much better than the other thicker leather options.
The only complaint is that it takes away from the cool look of the naked pad. But any case is going to do that.

FearlessFreep
Apr 4, 2010, 09:44 AM
I like it a lot. Initially I was skeptical, but after using it all day yesterday I think it's great. I find I like the rigidity because you can stand the iPad up and just use one hand, particularly when laying in bed. And of course it is protecting the iPad which I'm fanatical about with my Apple stuff.

touchmonkey
Apr 4, 2010, 09:51 AM
Have it. Like (not love) it.
Before I bought it I made my own to fit in a folding leather letter sized legal pad folio:
Stacked, glued foam core, cut out iPad shape, glued to cardboard pad backing with all the pages removed to slip in like a pad of lined paper would.
A work in progress, needs some tweaks, but they got a kick out of it at the Apple store.
May post pics down the line.
Should market the design.
For illustration purposes only:
http://www.legalpadfolio.com/images/E03.jpg

cyclingplatypus
Apr 4, 2010, 10:08 AM
Does the front cover fold over and keep flat behind the iPad? Or does it get in the way when you're not using it as a stand? Cheers

Yes, you can fold it back flat.

rdowns
Apr 4, 2010, 10:10 AM
I like it. Enough protection to throw it in briefcase and the stand is awesome. I can type so fast at that angle.

treehorn
Apr 4, 2010, 10:12 AM
I hate the case and am taking it back asap

It looks solid in the pictures - in regards to being used as an 'easel' - but it's so flimsy I'd be afraid to use it in that manner. The material feels really cheap and not worth the price point. Worst thing is taking it out of the case is so hard to do that I was afraid I was going to break the iPad

sparkomatic
Apr 4, 2010, 10:14 AM
Hoping I can hold out for a case like the Incipio Feather. I just want something to keep from scratching the back of it really.

magpie maniac
Apr 4, 2010, 10:19 AM
I picked up the Apple iPad case at the local Apple yesterday and I love it. Very slim, protects the device well, yet doesn't get in the way. No regrets buying it.

thrill5one6
Apr 4, 2010, 10:25 AM
My Best Buy was sold out of the cases, so I'll probably order one online instead :/

I waited on hold for 25 minutes on hold to speak with my apple store and they told me all the cases were sold out. I went in just to see how packed it was and they had about 100 cases
I bought the apple book like case and the belkin skin. The skin feels better to told but offers no screen protection.

TonyK
Apr 4, 2010, 10:33 AM

My wife got the case. Did not like the feel of it, and no closer.

When we purchased my iPad, I got the InCase. By 7PM, my wife had exchanged her Apple case for the InCase and is very happy now.

2 votes for InCase.

heresmike
Apr 4, 2010, 10:36 AM
I think the case is a royal pain to take on and off but I'm kind of slow...

iuser10
Apr 5, 2010, 09:07 AM
I will be looking to for a cheap case, like to keep it clean

mj1108
Apr 5, 2010, 09:17 AM
I got the Apple one as well. It is a pain to try to take out once it's in there but it seems to do the job well once it's in there.

Dorkington
Apr 5, 2010, 09:43 AM
I'm a fan of the case. :)

Mac Addict
Apr 5, 2010, 09:47 AM
I do like the apple case. Snug fig, easier to grip, protection, positioning all great. Only downer for me are the edges, smooth them out please.

StBDawg
Apr 5, 2010, 09:55 AM
My wife got the case. Did not like the feel of it, and no closer.

When we purchased my iPad, I got the InCase. By 7PM, my wife had exchanged her Apple case for the InCase and is very happy now.

2 votes for InCase.

Which InCase would you be referring to?

spiderguy84
Apr 5, 2010, 11:13 AM
Do you have a link for the InCase?

gwynne
Apr 5, 2010, 11:16 AM
Does incase make anything that performs "kickstand" functions?

UnseenLlama
Apr 5, 2010, 11:18 AM
Does incase make anything that performs "kickstand" functions?

Yes. Check out this thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=888720

I'm going to return my Apple case and pick up this Incase one instead.

rayward
Apr 5, 2010, 11:52 AM
I'm waiting for a folio-style case that has the kickstand functionality, plus a pouch for putting papers (boarding pass, for example).

Bitgod
Apr 5, 2010, 01:54 PM
I really hope I don't get an ipad, because if I do, I'd be lusting over a Vaja case. I love my iPhone Vaja case, I don't need to spend $170 on a new case. sigh.

sparkomatic
Apr 5, 2010, 02:23 PM
Picked one up at lunch today cause I've been in fear of scratching the back since I got mine on Saturday.

I have to say, I'm not very impressed. The biggest bug is that pinched material that wraps all around the case. But, I'm going on vacation next week and figure it's a good case for travel. I'll pick up an Incipio case (when released) or an incase when I get back for everyday use.

HiRez
Apr 5, 2010, 02:34 PM
Just got the Apple case today and I love it. It's very "grippy" (but not too much so) and really makes holding and carrying the iPad much easier. Looks and feels expensive. The ability to prop it up at a few different angles really helps too. They really should include this case with the device, it's perfect for it.

Warbrain
Apr 5, 2010, 02:39 PM
I've been on the fence about it. I may get it and decide if I like it.

ipoddin
Apr 5, 2010, 02:59 PM
I think my Apple case is going back for this:

http://www.quirky.com/products/30-Cloak

Multiple angled view. Portrait and landscape. Hope it's easier to get the iPad in and out.

Sounds Good
Apr 5, 2010, 03:12 PM
If anyone comes across a bag, case or sleeve with a strap please let me know here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=890350).

Thanks! :)

calderone
Apr 5, 2010, 04:13 PM
I bought it.

It is garbage.

I am returning it.

Applepi
Apr 5, 2010, 05:09 PM
I just purchased it and so far I love it, it's much easier to hold without fear of dropping and shattering it. My only complaint is that I wish they would have included a slim pocket on the inside so I can put a cleaning cloth in there with easy access, for now I just slide my cloth behind the iPad.

gcmexico
Apr 5, 2010, 05:16 PM
anyone find a good case with a kick stand for watching movies?

midorigal
Apr 5, 2010, 05:21 PM
Bitgod,

I'm with you...I heart my Vaja case for the iPhone but at $170 before shipping, the one for the iPad is just too much...plus hubby's feeling if I had that much money for a case, I should have just chipped in for my iPad!

Bitgod
Apr 5, 2010, 06:01 PM
Oh well, so I picked up a pad during lunch, heh. Now I'll have to see if I can contain my Vaja lust. Now that I've checked it out on their site, it might be awfully thick to hold with the front cover attached to the back.

TonyK
Apr 6, 2010, 05:54 AM
Which InCase would you be referring to?

The leather looking one that works like the Apple case (convertable Book Jacket case @ http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/convertible-book-jacket-cl57512)

dino26
Apr 6, 2010, 06:01 AM
Im gonna get the official one and be all official about it :D

dino26 :apple:

Warbrain
Apr 6, 2010, 06:19 AM
They were sold out of the Apple case when I got my iPad. I couldn't get a good look at any other cases because there were people in the way.

I'm going to either stop at a Best Buy that has an Apple section or the Apple store by work and pick up a case, be it the Apple case or the Incase slip case. I do like the feeling of it without a case on it but I want to keep it protected.

jpmartineau
Apr 6, 2010, 09:10 AM
The only thing is, in the case it doesn't fit in the dock, so be mindful of that :-)

You can easily hack your way (http://www.jpmartineau.com/blog/?p=121) around that. Best of both worlds: Case + Dock!

JP