PDA

View Full Version : iPad RSS readers

luten
Apr 5, 2010, 11:59 AM
I started off using the free 'Feedler' RSS reader, which was okay, but wanted something that was more full featured. I normally use Byline on my iPhone, but they don't have an iPad version out yet. After searching around more on the app store, I came across NewsRack and bought it (they have a universal iPhone/iPad app). So far, I'm VERY happy with it - it supports manual ordering of feeds, instapaper, a nice inline browser, etc.

Anyone else using NewsRack or found a great iPad RSS reader?

chriskzoo
Apr 5, 2010, 12:12 PM
reader.google.com for me - I'm not paying $10 for an app for that - my 2 cents.

ijen0311
Apr 5, 2010, 12:16 PM
I'm using the Feeddler app.

Edit: I've found it to be great for me...

luten
Apr 5, 2010, 12:19 PM
The google rss reader works okay but not great, but I find the scrolling to be awkward.

dav
Apr 5, 2010, 12:22 PM
The google rss reader works okay but not great, but I find the scrolling to be awkward.

I would imagine you can expect an update soon, seeing as how gmail got a facelift specifically for the iPad. I'm just going to wait it out.

ksmith80209
Apr 5, 2010, 12:45 PM
I use Mobile RSS. It is good.

I didn't think they had an iPad version.

h00ligan
Apr 5, 2010, 12:56 PM
I too am looking for a better rss reader than googles mobile. Something with a built in browser for limited feeds. That said my go to on the iPhone was netnewswire. Which has always been buggy but I was able to tolerate it as I paid. Now nnw wants 10$ with no demo for the non universal iPad app and that's before they aide the price to $15. Good luck with that nnw. I know I won't give you another penny whilst you still ignore the bugs in the iPhone os. So. Nothing much to add about which to use but I I'll say I would steer clear of nnw who clearly doesn't support their customers. Look at he iPhone reviews of their reader to see support for my statements. Clearly I'm not alone.

Does newsrack sync for offline viewing, post to Facebook, and refresh quickly? Does it hide sources with no new articles?

chriskzoo
Apr 5, 2010, 12:57 PM
I too am looking for a better rss reader than googles mobile. Something with a built in browser for limited feeds. That said my go to on the iPhone was netnewswire. Which has always been buggy but I was able to tolerate it as I paid. Now nnw wants 10$ with no demo for the non universal iPad app and that's before they aide the price to $15. Good luck with that nnw. I know I won't give you another penny whilst you still ignore the bugs in the iPhone os. So. Nothing much to add about which to use but I I'll say I would steer clear of nnw who clearly doesn't support their customers. Look at he iPhone reviews of their reader to see support for my statements. Clearly I'm not alone.

Not google's mobile, the full Google Reader. If it loads up in the mobile version, you can click at the bottom to load the full version.

mpuck972
Apr 5, 2010, 02:05 PM
Not google's mobile, the full Google Reader. If it loads up in the mobile version, you can click at the bottom to load the full version.
What i did to avoid having to click that full version link is to set a bookmark to the full version URL, that will force it to load the full version every time.

kepner
Apr 5, 2010, 02:17 PM
I'm using NetNewsWire at the moment, but will switch to Reeder (http://reederapp.com/) as soon as an iPad version is released.

I don't like NetNewsWire (for iPad) much at all. I keep trying to slide news items to mark them as starred (like in Reeder), but instead I have to tap a button way up in the top right corner. Also, it seems to take much longer to sync than Reeder.

sparkomatic
Apr 5, 2010, 02:19 PM
Using Reeder on my iPhone but had NewsRack from before. Loaded it up on my iPad and it's pretty good. There's some stuff I don't like about it but it's fast and gets the job done for now. Definitely shows promise!

below sea level
Apr 5, 2010, 02:43 PM

I wasn't before, but thanks to you....

NewsRack is fantastic. I've been using NNW on the iPhone and was never completely happy with it. I've been looking for a replacement for the iPad, and I'm loving this already.

h00ligan
Apr 5, 2010, 03:08 PM
Tbh I don't care for the full or mobile versions of google reader. Newsrack looks the business, but some comments made me rethink, like the first review of app speed. For $5 it's probably worth a try.

luten
Apr 5, 2010, 03:19 PM
I haven't had any problems with the speed of news rack - seems pretty responsive so far

kepner
Apr 5, 2010, 05:45 PM
Has anyone tried Headline (http://appshopper.com/news/headline) yet? Looks nice. I'm considering purchasing it since I'm so unhappy with NetNewsWire.

infectbda
Apr 5, 2010, 06:01 PM
I'm waiting for reeder. Have to just live with the web client until then.

Galley
Apr 5, 2010, 10:36 PM
I bought NewsRack yesterday. It's a good deal for $4.99 since it's a universal app. :)

luten
Apr 5, 2010, 10:41 PM
I bought NewsRack yesterday. It's a good deal for $4.99 since it's a universal app.

Yup - I was using Byline on my iPhone before, but since NewsRack is a universal app, I switched to that now on both my iPhone and iPad. I'm really liking it so far.

What is it about Reeder on the iPhone that people really like?

ndalum
Apr 5, 2010, 10:52 PM
Which reader will sync with the iPhone, iPad and computer?

imwa
Apr 6, 2010, 12:12 AM
Right now I use google reader on my iPhone and Mac and I'm waiting for google to add some improvements like they did for gmail so I can scroll through the feeds instead of clicking previous and next.

Curious if anyone has tried The Early Edition as their rss reader? Looks like it will have support for google reader and instapaper in the next update.

MikeCase
Apr 6, 2010, 12:23 AM
I'm also waiting for Reeder. It's a beautiful app, very pleasing on the eyes. It has really great features that are very subtle in the UI which works really well on the iPhone. I can't wait to see what they do on the iPad.

I've been considering Early Edition but with the amount of feeds I'm subscribed to, I don't know how well that will work. A few of my feeds get a couple hundred updates a day and those feeds specifically only grt skimmed. I can imaginer having the Early Edition news paper UI being cluttered with articles from these feeds.

h00ligan
Apr 6, 2010, 12:41 AM
Well. Bought it. So far I am not liking the ui. All that sliding and tiny left pane is a waste on the iPad. Obviously I have to get used to it but I wouldn't consider news rack to be exactly intuitive. Tappable elements all over the screen don't make for quick flow. That said it's fast. Synced well with google. Posts to Facebook and Twitter. So it will have to do for now. If I had paid more than five bucks I would be really annoyed. Or if I paid five and it wasn't universal. So at least the dev priced right. I'll revisit when I've spent more time in the app, it's only been 10 minutes usage so far, these are gut reactions and very likely to change.

ipoddin
Apr 6, 2010, 12:39 PM
I started off using the free 'Feedler' RSS reader, which was okay, but wanted something that was more full featured. I normally use Byline on my iPhone, but they don't have an iPad version out yet. After searching around more on the app store, I came across NewsRack and bought it (they have a universal iPhone/iPad app). So far, I'm VERY happy with it - it supports manual ordering of feeds, instapaper, a nice inline browser, etc.

I currently use Feedler. How do you like Newsrack compared to Feedler? Is it worth the $5 over the free Feedler?

ngenerator
Apr 6, 2010, 12:53 PM
How on earth do I add a feed to Feeddler?
edit: nvm, figured it out :)

dalvin200
Apr 6, 2010, 12:57 PM
reederapp is gonna be releasing it's app soon...

read their tweets (http://search.twitter.com/search?q=&ands=ipad&phrase=&ors=&nots=&tag=&lang=all&from=reederapp&to=&ref=&near=&within=15&units=mi&since=&until=&rpp=15) about it

srl7741
Apr 6, 2010, 01:00 PM
I've been holding off also waiting on iPad specific Apps. I really like MobileRSS Pro on the iPhone and they have not released an iPad App yet.

I did shoot off an email asking if they were planning on releasing an iPad App but have not heard back from them.

So like others in this thread I'm hoping to see a good reader turn up for the iPad. The current choices just don't cut it and are not very good.

h00ligan
Apr 6, 2010, 01:15 PM
After more usage today I have to say news rack is fine. It's not perfect and I stand by that the sliding into folders is not the ideal way and the touch controls are a bit too decentralized. Also I wonder why there is no preview when sharing to facebook vs using a bookmarklet.

srl7741
Apr 20, 2010, 01:47 PM
Does anyone have any experience with "The Early Edition (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-early-edition/id363496943?mt=8)" iPad News Reader?
Likes or dis-likes about the App.

There seems to be a lot of good reviews but I never trust those entirely.

TIA

srl7741
Apr 20, 2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks, I think your right and those points are certainly things to keep in mind.

I don't mind using Safari but would prefer one App that will do the same. I've been using NetNewsWire and it's not very good at all. It crashes and navigation is horrible. I've notice buttons disappear and going back is not an option. You actually have to switch articles for the buttons to re-appear allowing you to navigate back to all feeds.

I don't recommend NetNewsWire for the iPad

mobilehavoc
Apr 20, 2010, 02:25 PM
Newsrack FTW. No issues at all, works flawlessly. Great UI and great performance. I have it on my dock.

EnderTW
Apr 20, 2010, 02:40 PM
Newsrack FTW. No issues at all, works flawlessly. Great UI and great performance. I have it on my dock.

Exactly the same here.

I have about 40-50 rss feeds, all images come over, etc. Great inline browser to view the article. I can even watch youtube videos from within the app.

MikhailT
Apr 20, 2010, 07:44 PM
NewsRack is okay but it has several limitations for people who doesn't check RSS every hour. If you have a feed with more than 50 posts, it'll only load 50 at a time, there's no "Load More" and if you press mark all read, it'll make all read for ALL items in that feed, not just the 50 you downloaded.

Do not buy Newsrack if this is going to be an issue for you. Just wait for Reeder.

jsbaugh
Apr 20, 2010, 08:25 PM
Does anyone have any experience with "The Early Edition (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-early-edition/id363496943?mt=8)" iPad News Reader?

TIA

I use it and really like it, no problems.

PBF
Apr 20, 2010, 10:36 PM
Yup, impatiently waiting for Reeder too. :cool:

vertigo78
Apr 21, 2010, 03:38 AM
Newsrack is my favortie app so far. Its perfect for me.

IronLogik
Apr 21, 2010, 09:38 AM
I use NetNewsWire.

There were a lot of reports of crashing and such when it was first released. But I haven't had it crash yet. 1.0.2 is also in review at Apple. So more bugs should be fixed soon.

Works quite well now. I have heard that if you have a ton of unread items that it might be slow. I try to keep my unread count below 100. If it goes above that I start purging stuff.

vw195
Apr 21, 2010, 10:09 AM
I like newsrack. I just wish when you clicked on unreads, it would que up all the unreads in a particular folder as opposed to having to click on them individually. Otherwise it is swwwweeeeeet

Jeremy81
Apr 21, 2010, 10:18 AM
I am using NetNewswire. I have been somewhat disappointed with it so far especially considering the price. I have experienced many bugs and it just doesn't feel right yet. I'm hoping future releases will correct the issues I have with it as I don't want to invest even more in another app.

IronLogik
Apr 21, 2010, 10:24 AM
I am using NetNewswire. I have been somewhat disappointed with it so far especially considering the price. I have experienced many bugs and it just doesn't feel right yet. I'm hoping future releases will correct the issues I have with it as I don't want to invest even more in another app.

Post your bugs and feature requests to this link

http://groups.google.com/group/netnewswire-ipad

imacdaddy
Apr 21, 2010, 10:36 AM
I've been holding off also waiting on iPad specific Apps. I really like MobileRSS Pro on the iPhone and they have not released an iPad App yet.

I did shoot off an email asking if they were planning on releasing an iPad App but have not heard back from them.

So like others in this thread I'm hoping to see a good reader turn up for the iPad. The current choices just don't cut it and are not very good.

I'm also holding off for MobileRSS. I hope they update to universal real soon!

srl7741
Apr 21, 2010, 11:22 AM
I went ahead and downloaded NewsRack. It's certainly nice and will be my go too News App on the iPad.
It really is nice and does everything I want.

I was disapointed with NNW and when you compare the two NewsRack beats it anyday.

Yes, I also installed The Early Edition and I also like it but not as much as NewsRack. The Early Edition does things a little different and displays things in a different way. So for now I'm keeping both NewsRack and The Early Edition.

NNW is being deleted, what a waste of money that was. Of course this is just my opinion and not meant to put down an app or anyone elses thoughts.

h00ligan
Apr 21, 2010, 11:31 AM
I like newsrack. I just wish when you clicked on unreads, it would que up all the unreads in a particular folder as opposed to having to click on them individually. Otherwise it is swwwweeeeeet

Perhaps i misunderstand what you mean, but if you are hiding read items there is an unread link in the upper left for all unread stuff..you dont have to go into each folder specifically. That option can be used for all feeds, inside collections, or for specific sites.

The more i get acclimated the more i like newsrack. I think i was just used to nnw before, and newsrack is way better. In every way.

Additiinally, after tht REALLY arrogant 'interview' on TUAW with the developer of Nnw who basically talks up gouging his customers and how much they are making...made me very happy i gave them no more money for their bug riddled software.

So I will go one further than the above poster, i actively discourge supporting nnw in any way, think they mess their cutomers about, know from iphone experience they don't fix bugs...stay away.

Oh and his assertion that $15 for a non universal newsreader should be a baseline norm..well, congrats on the money you have made already, i don't see too many people even paying $10 for a universal as more competition arrives.

I wonder when nnw will update thir paid iphone app, they probably will release it how tweetie did and charge for it again. Not that it matters to me, i removed it the day i bought newsrack. I'm just saying, it is very clear what they are all about, and post purchase support isn't it. Why fix long standing bugs on your widely used iphone product, when you can insted focus all your attn on pushing an ipad version out the door for three times the price?

IronLogik
Apr 21, 2010, 11:31 AM
I went ahead and downloaded NewsRack. It's certainly nice and will be my go too News App on the iPad.
It really is nice and does everything I want.

I was disapointed with NNW and when you compare the two NewsRack beats it anyday.

Yes, I also installed The Early Edition and I also like it but not as much as NewsRack. The Early Edition does things a little different and displays things in a different way. So for now I'm keeping both NewsRack and The Early Edition.

NNW is being deleted, what a waste of money that was. Of course this is just my opinion and not meant to put down an app or anyone elses thoughts.

Curious. What do you not like about NNW? What is better in NewsRack?

I really wish people who say negative things about an app would give solid reasons why. It does no good for people coming in here and viewing the thread looking for information to see that someone just "dislikes" the app and doesn't say why.

If you're going to say something negative about an app, please give a reason. It helps potential purchasers of apps decide whether the things you dislike about an app are of any relevance to their own purchase.

srl7741
Apr 21, 2010, 11:41 AM
I think I did in my prior post but in the event I'm wrong. The main reason I don't like the NNW App is because when you tap to read an article in the in App browser the buttons to navigate back are removed or hidden. You can't navigate back without going completely out of the App and starting over.
The tap to check read all is placed at the top of the menu when the confirmation button is located at the bottom of the menus. The placement of those are not very good when it comes to the navigation.

It also crashes often for me when using it.

So my two main reason are navigation and crashing. They are frustrating.

Alan Taylor
Apr 21, 2010, 11:48 AM

TIA

I love it, the layout of the feeds is beautiful!

vw195
Apr 21, 2010, 12:03 PM
Perhaps i misunderstand what you mean, but if you are hiding read items there is an unread link in the upper left for all unread stuff..you dont have to go into each folder specifically. That option can be used for all feeds, inside collections, or for specific sites.

I think you did misunderstand :) After you tap the unread link, all the unread feeds show correctly on the left, but the main screen only has one feed, and you must select which of the other feeds you want to read next. I think it might be better to have all the feeds scrollable on the main screen like google reader, so you could do a mass swipe up and scroll through 20 stories. Its nitpicking but hopefully that is clearer.

I would also better podcasting support in newsrack. I have some podcasts on my GR feed, and Newsrack gives an error before it plays, and I cant read stories while listening to podcasts, oh well :) Both minor issues and i do like newsrack.

IronLogik
Apr 21, 2010, 12:09 PM
I think I did in my prior post but in the event I'm wrong. The main reason I don't like the NNW App is because when you tap to read an article in the in App browser the buttons to navigate back are removed or hidden. You can't navigate back without going completely out of the App and starting over.
The tap to check read all is placed at the top of the menu when the confirmation button is located at the bottom of the menus. The placement of those are not very good when it comes to the navigation.

In which case I'm sorry to have missed that. It was more of a "general" gripe that people don't give reasons. I wasn't targeting anyone specifically.

The navigation buttons gone missing thing is a bug. It will hopefully be fixed in 1.0.2 which is in review. You can also rotate the iPad to make them visible again I believe.

As for the slowness thing. I'd encourage you to post your comments on the link I posted above in the Google group for the iPad version of NNW. There's a thread started about slowness and Brent was interested in number of feeds and number of unread items.

IronLogik
Apr 21, 2010, 12:16 PM

The more i get acclimated the more i like newsrack. I think i was just used to nnw before, and newsrack is way better. In every way.

Additiinally, after tht REALLY arrogant 'interview' on TUAW with the developer of Nnw who basically talks up gouging his customers and how much they are making...made me very happy i gave them no more money for their bug riddled software.

So I will go one further than the above poster, i actively discourge supporting nnw in any way, think they mess their cutomers about, know from iphone experience they don't fix bugs...stay away.

Oh and his assertion that $15 for a non universal newsreader should be a baseline norm..well, congrats on the money you have made already, i don't see too many people even paying $10 for a universal as more competition arrives.

I wonder when nnw will update thir paid iphone app, they probably will release it how tweetie did and charge for it again. Not that it matters to me, i removed it the day i bought newsrack. I'm just saying, it is very clear what they are all about, and post purchase support isn't it. Why fix long standing bugs on your widely used iphone product, when you can insted focus all your attn on pushing an ipad version out the door for three times the price?

Brent Simmons is far from arrogant in my opinion.

Has he royally screwed up the iPhone app along the way? Yea. Bummed I spent the money on it. But there is an update coming. They were focusing on the iPad app and the tech from the iPad app is being used for an update to the iPhone app. 2.0 was a complete rewrite. The next update is nearly a complete rewrite again but he claims will be an upgrade to 2.0, not a 3.0 app that you will need to pay for again. The first update is going to be backend related changes. Once that is resolved it'll start receiving UI refinements and new features.

My understanding of the situation is that a lot of the slowness from the iPhone app is a result of CoreData. So he rewrote the backend again to use an SQL database directly, which should result in faster performance.

IronLogik
Apr 22, 2010, 06:27 PM

The disappearing Feed List bug has been fixed in 1.0.2 and should be available on the app store soon.

http://twitter.com/nnw_iPad/status/12667132032
http://groups.google.com/group/netnewswire-ipad/browse_thread/thread/a66d92be6aba3268#

2Bad4U
May 2, 2010, 04:07 AM
Which reader will sync with the iPhone, iPad and computer?

I am also interested in a news reader that can sync all my feeds across my iMac, iPhone and iPad. It would be great to make feed changes on any one device and have them all sync. Hopefully someone will add this feature to one of the existing apps if there is not one that already does this today.

normwood
May 2, 2010, 04:15 AM
I am also interested in a news reader that can sync all my feeds across my iMac, iPhone and iPad. It would be great to make feed changes on any one device and have them all sync. Hopefully someone will add this feature to one of the existing apps if there is not one that already does this today.

I'm pretty sure the only way to come close to what you're looking for is to use Google reader and apps that sync with it.

Right now i'm using Google Reader in the Google Mobile app on my iPad and it is just "ok". Waiting for MobileRSS that I use on my iPhone to go native on iPad. I like it's features. Byline would be the next runner up when it goes iPad friendly.

Steve

Advil
May 2, 2010, 05:58 AM
I'm using NewsRack as well. I love it for iPad but on my iPhone it's meh.

jhanlon
May 2, 2010, 07:15 AM
I too find that I like The Early Edition for its clever way of presenting the feeds. No longer just reading another batch of email messages. There are some issues for improvement but a great start. It is something that I can recommend to my non-geek friends who want to understand what RSS can do for them - a custom-built newspaper.

ParishYoung
May 2, 2010, 07:18 AM
I use NewsRack on the iPhone. I switched to it about 6 weeks ago now from SmartRss2 which was cool. The only downside I can see to NewsRack is that, even though it says it's doing it, it often downs't download the images to each article.

Has anyone experienced this also? What about on the iPad version?

rickeames
May 2, 2010, 07:36 AM
I have used both newsrack and nnw and they both are still in beta, IMHO.

Newsrack:

- developer fairly unresponsive
- limits number of items downloaded
- counts do not match google reader
- navigation is goofy
- no ability to go next unread
- no way to add a feed in the app
- [pro] fast, scales images, cheaper, universal

NNW:

- slow when dealing with large feeds
- zero font control
- counts also get off of reader
- navigation is goofy
- needs to scale images the way they do on iPhone
- no way to add a feed
- spendy, particularly for non-universal

As I said, they both feel like I paid to beta test an app for a developer. Brent has done a good job of being responsive, and they at least have a support forum. Newsrack's developer is not as responsive and there is no support forum.

timdafweak
May 2, 2010, 08:26 AM
I really like MobileRSS on the iPhone. I really wish the dev would port it to the iPad. Its easy integration with Google Reader and ability to find new subscriptions really gives it an edge over the other readers I have tried.

PathVu
May 2, 2010, 08:40 AM
I also use Early Edition, find it very useful...

Thanks,

PathVu

Swampthing
May 2, 2010, 08:51 AM
I really like MobileRSS on the iPhone. I really wish the dev would port it to the iPad. Its easy integration with Google Reader and ability to find new subscriptions really gives it an edge over the other readers I have tried.

I'll raise another glass to MobileRSS, best iPhone newsreader I could find. Got tired of all the NetNewsWire issues from one problem to the next, and took MRSS upon recommendations from others.

Early Edition is nice, and I like the format. But without Google Reader integration, frankly it is useless to me. Don't really want to spend an hour inputting all my feeds over again. I see that it will be an upcoming feature, so I will look again when that's added.

kirchnrd
May 2, 2010, 09:01 AM
+1 for Feedler

Weaselboy
May 2, 2010, 09:49 AM

http://twitter.com/mobilerss

According to the devs Twitter feed, it is under way.

srl7741
May 2, 2010, 10:01 AM
I've had a good experience with NewsRack on the iPad so far. Much better than NNW was for me anyway. (see prior post on issues).

On my iPhone I still like MobileRSS it seems to have everything I like and works great. I wish there was an iPad version of MobileRSS.

If MobileRSS makes it to the iPad I will give it a try. So for now I've settled on those two.

MikhailT
May 2, 2010, 12:47 PM
Right now, MyTimes is the best RSS reader for me. It is the fastest RSS reader on the iPad right now but it is very limited in features and does have some bugs. It can download my backlog of 3000+ RSS items within minutes (full articles).

Still waiting for both MobileRSS/Reeder.

Swampthing
May 3, 2010, 06:32 AM
I decided to check out NewsRack based upon all the recommendations, and I was MUCH more impressed with the iPad version over the iPhone. Until MobileRSS steps up to the plate, and unless it offers all that NewsRack does, this one is my new fave.

MikhailT
May 3, 2010, 07:20 PM
http://www.macworld.com/article/150998/2010/05/byline_iphone.html?lsrc=rss_main

Byline 3 is coming out soon. Free upgrade to current owners. iPad is in work, no idea if universal or separate version.

Byline 3 has a new feature that I like, the ability to pull down full articles for the RSS items that truncated to get people to view it full on the original site.

MaxPower49
Jun 3, 2010, 10:19 PM
Mobile RSS HD is out now.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oberbayern-hd-ihr-mobiler/id375300540?mt=8

MikhailT
Jun 3, 2010, 10:27 PM
Reeder is also coming out very soon, it's waiting for the Apple's approval.

I have used it and I can safely say it's the best RSS reader on the iPad, period.

citi
Jun 3, 2010, 10:27 PM
another vote for early edition. Just received another update and now it's pretty perfect

g8orballboy
Jun 3, 2010, 10:33 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned pulse. I've never been a huge fan of rss readers, but pulse looks like it was born for the iPad. Great interface, I suggest you guys check it out!

T4R06
Jun 3, 2010, 10:34 PM
The new early edition rocks!

Seamaster
Jun 4, 2010, 03:30 AM

I was very loyal to Netnewswire until I tried Newsrack and realised what a crock NNW is in comparison.

THFourteen
Jun 4, 2010, 04:08 AM
another vote for early edition. Just received another update and now it's pretty perfect

does it have suppor tfor different sections now?

i'd really like a newspaper with "UK news" "Sports" "Tech"

that would be great :)

Phil Lee
Jun 4, 2010, 04:13 AM
I'm waiting patiently for Reeder to be released. It is by far my favourite iPhone RSS app and I have high hopes for the iPad version.

raymo
Jun 4, 2010, 04:22 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned pulse. I've never been a huge fan of rss readers, but pulse looks like it was born for the iPad. Great interface, I suggest you guys check it out!

I agree. Pulse is now my RSS reader of choice on the iPad.

Seamaster
Jun 4, 2010, 05:53 AM
Pulse is the future, but its too limited in its current incarnation, especially for power users of RSS who have hundreds of feeds.

jhanlon
Jun 4, 2010, 07:08 AM
does it have suppor tfor different sections now?

i'd really like a newspaper with "UK news" "Sports" "Tech"

that would be great :)

Yes it does. You can group your feeds into Sections and view whole Sections combined or see feeds individually.

Rafterman
Jun 4, 2010, 08:45 AM
Having tried a number of readers, I liked MobileRSS the best, especially now that the iPad version came out.

Pulse and Early Edition are solid apps and great looking. But my own opinion is, if I wanted great looking, I would just open up Safari and go to the web sites directly. The reason we get RSS apps is to do a news digest sort of thing. Too many CPU cycles into generating the look instead of just downloading the articles. MobileRSS is a simple, fast app that has a bunch of features.

But for me, a major issue was with how the web was accessed inside the RSS app. A lot of times, you need to go to the web site directly to see the article content since the RSS feed can sometimes be just a headline and not give anough info. Some apps, like Pulse and Early Edition, have a problem with accessing web sites inside their own app if the link is designed to open up as a "new" page by launching a new window or tab (from the perspective of if you were on a conventional browser).

They work OK if the link is designed to open the new page in the same existing window or tab. But if the link tries to open as a new tab or window, those RSS feeders won't open those types of pages - nothing will happen when you click the "outside" links. MobileRSS and Reeder will work with those coded kinds of pages OK, though Reeder doesn't have an iPad version yet.

It sounds pretty obscure, but for me at least, this issue comes up quite a bit.

srl7741
Jun 4, 2010, 09:06 AM
^^It's a difficult choice sometimes and I find myself using two b/c of some of the things you mentioned. I have grown to like NewsRack but I'm going to give MobileRSS HD a chance.

mrspooney
Jun 4, 2010, 10:00 AM
Reeder has been submitted to the app store (http://www.cultofmac.com/reeder-for-ipad-now-waiting-for-app-store-approval/45704) - from the screenshots looks like the best iPad RSS reader yet...

gazzrenn
Jun 4, 2010, 10:04 AM
Reeder has been submitted to the app store (http://www.cultofmac.com/reeder-for-ipad-now-waiting-for-app-store-approval/45704) - from the screenshots looks like the best iPad RSS reader yet...

Reeder kicks ass on the iPhone, can't wait for this.

i51330
Jun 4, 2010, 10:18 AM
^^It's a difficult choice sometimes and I find myself using two b/c of some of the things you mentioned. I have grown to like NewsRack but I'm going to give MobileRSS HD a chance.

i switched from
NewsRack to MobileRSS HD and it is better in every way. my vote goes to MobileRSS HD

PCClone
Jun 4, 2010, 10:58 AM
Do any of these readers have an option to download the actual stories along with the RSS Headline? I need to read the news on the bus and don't want to have to use 3G for that. I want to "sync" before I leave and then have access when I am not connected.

srl7741
Jun 4, 2010, 11:36 AM
Do any of these readers have an option to download the actual stories along with the RSS Headline? I need to read the news on the bus and don't want to have to use 3G for that. I want to "sync" before I leave and then have access when I am not connected.

You may want to look at Instapaper Pro for that. It does an outstanding job when needing off line information.

normwood
Jun 4, 2010, 11:45 AM
i switched from
NewsRack to MobileRSS HD and it is better in every way. my vote goes to MobileRSS HD

I just made the change from NewsRack to MobileRSS last night. It was a tough decision. NewsRack was really nice and I had NO complaints about it what-so-ever. I had used MobileRSS on my iPhone though and loved it.

Glad I made the switch. MobileRSS doesn't really function any better....but it sure is pretty....amazinly so. Can't wait for the rest of the features to be updated. The dev...in my experience....has been very quick to update and respond to questions.

Steve

citi
Jun 4, 2010, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by PCClone

You may want to look at Instapaper Pro for that. It does an outstanding job when needing off line information.

Early Edition has an option to send to instapaper for offline reading. The best of both worlds. Instapaper is pretty amazing. When I first saw it, I thought how is this usefull? Boy was I wrong!

srl7741
Jun 4, 2010, 04:55 PM
Early Edition has an option to send to instapaper for offline reading. The best of both worlds. Instapaper is pretty amazing. When I first saw it, I thought how is this usefull? Boy was I wrong!

I totally agree, I had no idea not long ago what Instapaper was all about till I took the time to see. It's a must have App as far as I'm concerned. It's that good. I highly recommend it to anyone.

There will aways be black out zones and it's nice to have that during those times we are in a black out.

I've posted my thoughts on MobileRSS HD and NewsRack (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=927883) in the iPad App thread.

Post #23

srl7741
Jun 8, 2010, 10:34 AM
Pulse was pulled from the App Store I guess. I couldn't find the thread on Pulse RSS App so I thought I would use this thread to pass the info along.

Linky (http://www.maclife.com/article/news/pulse_news_reader_gets_praised_and_shown_door_same_day)

I was lucky and downloaded it before being pulled.

Bummer :(

PCClone
Jun 8, 2010, 12:41 PM
Pulse was pulled from the App Store I guess. I couldn't find the thread on Pulse RSS App so I thought I would use this thread to pass the info along.

Linky (http://www.maclife.com/article/news/pulse_news_reader_gets_praised_and_shown_door_same_day)

I was lucky and downloaded it before being pulled.

Bummer :(

it was pulled because the NYT said it violated their rules since it was a paid app. They are removing the NYT feed and then it will be available again.

superflush
Jun 12, 2010, 01:51 AM

You should use Instapaper for viewing offline.
Pulse, however, has a web view toggle (but doesn't cache for offline).

ngenerator
Jun 12, 2010, 01:55 AM
Pulse is my new fave, here's hoping that they cache feeds soon, as I'm not always at an area with wifi (or I don't want to or am too lazy to run my MyWi ;))

superflush
Jun 12, 2010, 04:27 AM
Pulse is my new fave, here's hoping that they cache feeds soon, as I'm not always at an area with wifi (or I don't want to or am too lazy to run my MyWi ;))

They don't cache the text at all?

ShiftyGray
Jun 12, 2010, 05:17 AM

It also seems to get a whole lot of 5-star reviews.

Zcott
Jun 12, 2010, 05:46 AM
Reeder is epic. Best of them all.

JulianL
Jun 12, 2010, 05:50 AM
Reeder looks very nice but, when reading in landscape mode, is there any way to get rid of the left panel that has the list of articles it it so that the full screen width (minus the button/tool bar) can be used to view the item that is currently being read?

- Julian

superflush
Jun 12, 2010, 06:28 AM
Reeder looks very nice but, when reading in landscape mode, is there any way to get rid of the left panel that has the list of articles it it so that the full screen width (minus the button/tool bar) can be used to view the item that is currently being read?

I don't know if there is a way to do it as you suggest. However if you tap the upper-right button and select the Instapaper Mobilizer, you can read it full screen. I know it isn't the same as what you're asking for, but it will go full screen.

ngenerator
Jun 12, 2010, 09:57 AM
They don't cache the text at all?

Offline, my pulse app shows just a blank page with all my feed names and none of the articles... Maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

superflush
Jun 12, 2010, 10:08 AM
Offline, my pulse app shows just a blank page with all my feed names and none of the articles... Maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

You probably aren't doing anything wrong. I have 3G and haven't been offline yet. I wonder if it's something they are going to work into Pulse. If you want offline caching, you may want to have Reeder or NewsRack around for that.

srl7741
Jun 12, 2010, 10:15 AM
Speaking of Reeder iPad App, can someone possibly post what the Instapaper or Google Stablizer does? I've always noticed it with a few different Apps but never really understood what it does or how it helps.

When I was looking over the Reeder RSS App I noticed those are on by default where others have been off by default.

I have not noticed any difference with it being on or off.

MikhailT
Jun 12, 2010, 11:08 AM
Speaking of Reeder iPad App, can someone possibly post what the Instapaper or Google Stablizer does? I've always noticed it with a few different Apps but never really understood what it does or how it helps.

When I was looking over the Reeder RSS App I noticed those are on by default where others have been off by default.

I have not noticed any difference with it being on or off.

It sends the article to Instapaper service which stores an offline text view of it for you. You can come back to it anytime with Instapaper app or their web site. It's useful for downloading long articles that you don't want to read via GReader as well as downloading text view only.

There's no Stablizer, I think you meant Mobilizer. It converts the original site into a mobile friendly site.

julieknits
Jun 12, 2010, 11:26 AM
Mobilizer (Instapaper or Google) is triggered by pressing the Services button from within the article view screen. That's the button with the arrow. Or, holding down any link on the screen will eventually bring up the Services panel. It then routes that web link to Google or Instapaper to convert it to a more mobile-friendly page. I personally don't like the look of that kind of page, so I've turned the Mobilizers off.

If you do like it, Reeder has a setting to allow all links to go through that Mobilizer process.

superflush
Jun 13, 2010, 01:52 AM

From Instapaper: "Browse the web from mobile devices using Instapaper's Text view to save bandwidth, reduce loading times, and optimize pages for small screens." http://www.instapaper.com/extras

It sends the article to Instapaper service which stores an offline text view of it for you. You can come back to it anytime with Instapaper app or their web site. It's useful for downloading long articles that you don't want to read via GReader as well as downloading text view only.

this is what "save to Instapaper" is, and just appears in Reeder as "Instapaper" in the upper-right.

WilliamG
Jun 13, 2010, 01:57 AM
Reeder is nice but frustrates the CRAP out of me. Why can't I just see e.g. JUST Engadget feeds if I want to, like in Pulse?

Ridiculous...

superflush
Jun 13, 2010, 01:59 AM
Reeder is nice but frustrates the CRAP out of me. Why can't I just see e.g. JUST Engadget feeds if I want to, like in Pulse?

Ridiculous...

What are you talking about? Of course you can see just Engadget feeds. Just open the Engadget feed.

dplxy
Jun 13, 2010, 02:02 AM
newsrack
using it on iphone as well

normwood
Jun 13, 2010, 04:34 AM

Ridiculous...

William

Just "unpinch" the folder that your Engadget feed is in. Then "unpinch" the Engadget feed and it will open up all the individual articles. It's actually kinda nice once you figure out all the quirkiness.

Steve

WilliamG
Jun 14, 2010, 12:47 AM
What are you talking about? Of course you can see just Engadget feeds. Just open the Engadget feed.

William

Just "unpinch" the folder that your Engadget feed is in. Then "unpinch" the Engadget feed and it will open up all the individual articles. It's actually kinda nice once you figure out all the quirkiness.

Steve

And that's EXACTLY the problem. It's an excellent app without any guidance that you can do that. It'd also be nice to be able to not have to unpinch every time I open the app, but it is a REALLY good app, so hopefully these things will get fixed in time.

I still really like Pulse Reader, though, with its thumbnails etc...

In any case, thanks for pointing out how to pinch the individual things. Makes life a lot easier.

superflush
Jun 14, 2010, 01:37 AM
And that's EXACTLY the problem. It's an excellent app without any guidance that you can do that. It'd also be nice to be able to not have to unpinch every time I open the app, but it is a REALLY good app, so hopefully these things will get fixed in time.

You can also just tap the feed, if you dislike the multi-touch gesture.

JulianL
Jun 14, 2010, 05:57 AM
It'd also be nice to be able to not have to unpinch every time I open the app
That's only because those feeds (e.g. Engadget) are in a folder in your Google Reader account so Reeder makes them into its equivalent, a feed stack.

If there are feeds that you want to get to straight away without unpinching (or, as someone else mentioned, just tap on the stack if you don't like the gesture) then go to your Google Reader account and move Engadget out of whatever folder it's in and put it at the top level, that way Reeder will put it directly on the opening screen and not inside one of the feed stacks.

I agree with you about lack of guidance though, it needs more help features and documentation.

- Julian

Razeus
Jun 14, 2010, 08:59 AM

Ridiculous...

I love comments that call fault to an app when it's purely user error and lack of knowledge. I thought the app was intuitive. If you can use the Photo app, you can use Reeder.

MaxPower49
Jun 14, 2010, 11:20 AM
I love comments that call fault to an app when it's purely user error and lack of knowledge. I thought the app was intuitive. If you can use the Photo app, you can use Reeder.

I think he has a point... I was trying to do the same thing for 10 minutes last night before finally giving up. Couldn't find any help either within the app or on the dev's website.

Still a nice app though... trying to decide if i will stick with it or go back to Mobile RSS HD which has more intuitive controls IMO.

superflush
Jun 14, 2010, 04:19 PM

I agree with this. And it isn't like pinch-to-open is the only way to open a folder or feed. You can easily tap on it with one finger to open it.

Beau10
Jun 14, 2010, 04:27 PM
[deleted]

srl7741
Jun 14, 2010, 05:09 PM
I had never used Reeder before the iPad release. I have to say, it's pretty neat and works great. I have since changed a few things around as far as what I normally go to.

I'm using NewsRack and Reeder along with Instapaper and Read It Later.
I've decided to give MobileRSS, Pulse and others a rest. They just are as polished for my uses.

andym172
Jun 20, 2010, 03:12 AM
I really like the quirkiness of Reeder, but does anybody have any idea how to add a new feed into it?

Or, unlike with NewsRack, do you have to log into Google Reader itself to add a feed?

JulianL
Jun 20, 2010, 05:29 AM
I really like the quirkiness of Reeder, but does anybody have any idea how to add a new feed into it?

Or, unlike with NewsRack, do you have to log into Google Reader itself to add a feed?

You have to do it via Google Reader, or keep NewsRack around to do it, which then pushes the change up to your Google Reader account for subsequent download to Reeder. Hopefully Reeder will address this in the future so that I can get rid of NewsRack - not that I think that NewsRack is bad, it's just that I prefer Reeder and would like to only have one app for all this stuff.

- Julian

andothfc
Jun 20, 2010, 06:50 AM
I really like 90% of Reeder but there are some annoyances to it that something like Newsrack doesn't suffer from.

I mainly comes down to the swiping right and left of lists and articles. I have no use for that feature and it makes scrolling lists difficult because often the horizontal swipe will be invoked as I'm trying to scroll vertically.

And what is the point of being able to swipe vertically when reading an article? Why would I want to 'peek' at the list of stories?

I'd also like the Mark All as Read button to do it without asking for confirmation as is the case with the iPhone app.

The pinch to open is a useless gimmick as well. It's a useful idea with photos but it doesn't translate to text based content.

Phil Lee
Jun 20, 2010, 07:54 AM
The best thing about Reeder is the location of the up and down buttons. It makes it so quick to flip through articles. I find the location of the same buttons in Newsrack to be a lot less convenient. I most often use the pinch to close when I've finished going through my unread articles. My normal usage with Reeder is to go to unread articles, flip through them all, sending interesting ones to Instapaper then pitch to close the feed.

I have started to use Newsrack again today so I can use a second Google Reader account for motor racing news, keeping the risk of spoilers to a minimum.

Doju
Jun 20, 2010, 12:49 PM
I really like 90% of Reeder but there are some annoyances to it that something like Newsrack doesn't suffer from.

I mainly comes down to the swiping right and left of lists and articles. I have no use for that feature and it makes scrolling lists difficult because often the horizontal swipe will be invoked as I'm trying to scroll vertically.

And what is the point of being able to swipe vertically when reading an article? Why would I want to 'peek' at the list of stories?

I'd also like the Mark All as Read button to do it without asking for confirmation as is the case with the iPhone app.

The pinch to open is a useless gimmick as well. It's a useful idea with photos but it doesn't translate to text based content.Really? The pinching is one of, if not my favorite Reeder feature.

JulianL
Jun 20, 2010, 05:10 PM

I agree with that. I wish that feature could be disabled by a setting because it would still be possible to tap the read/unread or star icon at the top of the right-hand viewer pane to set the state on the current article. Like you I also find that I have trouble with scrolling the left list because I accidentally get some horizontal movement that stops the scroll.

Actually, as I use Reeder more I'm trying to work out whether it's my imagination or whether the scrolling in the main right-hand viewing pane is also a bit tricky. Quite often a swipe that I swear would scroll just fine in Safari doesn't start a scroll in Reeder and I have to swipe two or three times to get the scrolling started.

Even with the above, I love the Reeder interface and wouldn't change.

- Julian

srl7741
Aug 1, 2010, 02:12 PM
Actually, as I use Reeder more I'm trying to work out whether it's my imagination or whether the scrolling in the main right-hand viewing pane is also a bit tricky. Quite often a swipe that I swear would scroll just fine in Safari doesn't start a scroll in Reeder and I have to swipe two or three times to get the scrolling started.

Even with the above, I love the Reeder interface and wouldn't change.

- Julian
This happens with me also. It does not bug me enough to not use the App but I think I also notice a small skip or delay in getting the movement to apply when touched.

Reeder is still my favorite but I have to admit I keep NewsRack and still love NewsRack. NewsRack is so polished and works great. I call it up for those times I'm in a different mood and want something different.

dizzy130
Aug 9, 2010, 12:50 PM
I use the free versions of Byline on my iPhone and (I think) Feeddler on my iPad (I've only had the iPad since Friday and I don't have it with me at the moment...if it's not Feeddler that's free I'm using some other free app). I have over 200 Google Reader feeds and they both sync perfectly. They both have very nice interfaces. Both cache for offline reading and even grab the full post for feeds that don't do full text. They both have the occasional ad but nothing intrusive. I'm very happy with both. Am I missing something by not getting one of these paid apps?

petvas
Aug 10, 2010, 05:49 AM
I believe that Feed Hopper is the best RSS reader on the iPad..It is a shame that most people don't seem to know it, but it works really great.

srl7741
Aug 10, 2010, 05:44 PM
Has anyone tried "Times" for the iPad yet? It's priced rather high and there are not any reviews showing for it.
I'm wondering if it only works in Landscape mode also?

iTunes Link (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/times-for-ipad/id378710277?mt=8): $7.99
Web Site Link (http://www.acrylicapps.com/times/):

kepner
Aug 10, 2010, 06:04 PM
Has anyone tried "Times" for the iPad yet? It's priced rather high and there are not any reviews showing for it.
I'm wondering if it only works in Landscape mode also?

It works in both portrait and landscape.

It's a neat idea, and it works well. Unfortunately, it doesn't sync with Google Reader, so I probably won't use it.

srl7741
Aug 10, 2010, 06:58 PM
Google Reader is more of a perk to me and not a deal breaker. As long as the App is fast and smooth I'm normally happy :)

It looks nice and reminds me of The Early Edition kind of.

Edit* Here is a review of the iPad App. Link (http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/08/quickadvice-times-for-ipad/)

srl7741
Aug 13, 2010, 09:28 AM
Well? I went ahead and installed "Times" for the iPad and so far I really like the appearance of a news paper. I'm using a WiFi iPad so can't comment on how using it with a 3G is. It could use a few more features or creature comforts but for a first version it's pretty good. Since the cost is so high I expect updates which should add items users are reporting to the developer.

It's still on the high side cost wise but works great. No sync with Google Reader was not a deal breaker for me but could be for some. I tend to like having Apps that offer different reads. Not everything needs to sync w/GR.

One option it's missing that needs included is allowing to read from the original web page from any views. You currently have to be in Landscape mode. When in landscape mode the use of the screen space is pretty bad.

Meus Me
Aug 21, 2010, 01:39 PM
Use Slide Reader. It is probably one of the best kept secrets in terms of RSS apps. Highly recommend it, or at least YouTube it and watch the tutorial video.

ntrigue
Aug 21, 2010, 01:45 PM
Reeder is if you have a Reader account.

jps1012
May 18, 2011, 03:28 PM
Is reeder still the best?

Eigtball
May 18, 2011, 09:56 PM

For pure google reader, reading yes. Absolutely.

MikhailT
May 18, 2011, 11:52 PM

It is either Reeder or Mr. Reader for google reader accounts. I like Mr. Reader the most.

superflush
May 19, 2011, 01:03 AM
Yes, Reeder is still the best.
And it is getting really great on the Mac too.
Great features in both iOS & Mac like Readability.

Donka
May 19, 2011, 05:21 AM
Mobile RSS HD for me. Superb RSS news feed reader with Google reader sync.

Stangs55
May 19, 2011, 08:29 AM
River of News is the hands down winner, imho.

Although I do keep Reeder and Feedler installed, I haven't opened them in months.

Diiiiips
May 19, 2011, 08:44 AM
Out of the ones mentioned which progs download the posts so you can read them whilst offline?

Also, would like a reader that auto gets 'more', a bit like MobileRSS but you can read offline too.

Donka
May 19, 2011, 09:16 AM
Out of the ones mentioned which progs download the posts so you can read them whilst offline?

Also, would like a reader that auto gets 'more', a bit like MobileRSS but you can read offline too.

Mobile RSS lets you do this - there is a caching option for offline - see the description pointers:

✔ Comprehensive suite of offline capabilities: marking items as read, starred, shared, keep unread, and more
✔ Download full posts from excerpt feeds automatically. Full control over which feeds have this feature enabled
✔ Store items list when you're offline, including embedded images

Diiiiips
May 19, 2011, 09:39 AM
Mobile RSS lets you do this - there is a caching option for offline - see the description pointers:

✔ Comprehensive suite of offline capabilities: marking items as read, starred, shared, keep unread, and more
✔ Download full posts from excerpt feeds automatically. Full control over which feeds have this feature enabled
✔ Store items list when you're offline, including embedded images

MobileRSS was only letting me read some feeds offline, not all.

Weaselboy
May 19, 2011, 09:40 AM

Those may be feeds truncated by the provider. Try this (http://fulltextrssfeed.com/).

Donka
May 19, 2011, 10:02 AM

Might be worth contacting the developer as well if you haven't already to find out why this is or confirm it is due to the provider as mentioned by Weaselboy.

kendo88
May 19, 2011, 02:44 PM
I use flipboard or pulse for my google reader needs. Both apps free and fantastic. If you don't like the idea of flipboard then pulse is a brilliant free reader app

nutmac
May 19, 2011, 04:09 PM
I've been a long-time user of MobileRSS HD and when it comes to 3 things that I consider to be the most important, Reeder beats it hands down:

Performance: update speed on Reeder is just crazy fast.
Offline: whereas MobileRSS fetches a block of articles at a time, Reeder retrieves the full list silently in the background as well as caching all the summary and image contents without breaking a sweat.
Stability: Reeder very rarely crashes. MobileRSS not so much.

That said, MobileRSS (1) sports Twitter-like UI that some may prefer, (2) is available in ad-supported free version, and (3) lets you manage feeds.

ravenvii
May 19, 2011, 08:11 PM
When I first tried FlipBoard, I wasn't impressed, so I deleted it. River of News was my favorite RSS reader. However, over time, the various bugs got to me, and the developer basically leaving the app to rot, and made me decide to look elsewhere.

I tried FlipBoard again because I heard it added Google Reader support. Indeed, it did, and now I love it.

So I vote for FlipBoard. It's awesome.

iKingsley86
May 19, 2011, 11:17 PM
google.com/reader is good enough!

jps1012
May 20, 2011, 08:20 AM
I bought reeder the other night. Not that impressed.

Mawal
May 20, 2011, 09:00 AM
Mr Reader outperforms Reeder and River...you can subscribe and unsubscribe on the ipad...

Stangs55
May 20, 2011, 09:16 AM
The thing that makes River of News so good in my opinion is the fact that it "streams" (more or less) your news from Google Reader. This is infinitely better imho than how Reeder handles it where you have to actually download the articles first. So for someone like me who has a huge Google Reader account with upwards of 1000 of unread messages at any given time...waiting for 99% of the RSS readers out there to download "The Latest 3 days" is just not efficient or feasible. With River of News, it doesn't matter how many I have unread, I just scroll and it dynamically loads more as I read.

The other thing I love about River is that I can use scroll through the articles in one continuous stream. This allows me to cover alot of ground very quickly. One article seamlessly moves into the next...so with a flip of the finger at a speed I choose, I can either move quickly through them, or just scroll them slowly and scan them as they pass...if something catches my eye, then I just stop the scroll and read more....when I'm done, flip the finger again and the list goes scrolling. It's an ingenious way to read your RSS feeds.

As far as I know, no other RSS reader provides the above two options...if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Mawal
May 20, 2011, 10:19 AM
I found River of News to be slow and clumsy. I usually go with Mr Reader or Reeder.

I have deleted River of News from my Ipad.

gks
May 20, 2011, 10:35 AM
I found River of News to be slow and clumsy. I usually go with Mr Reader or Reeder.

Agreed. River of News got a bunch of good mentions in this thread so I bought it. Terrible terrible app. It's slow and clunky and makes marking things as read very very difficult. I'm just not a fan. If you like the idea of what reeder does, you won't like River of News I'm guessing. Save your money.

Stangs55
May 20, 2011, 01:44 PM

To each his own I guess. River was certainly slower on the iPad 1, but it's been fine with my iPad 2. And in practice, I actually find Reeder much more slow and clumsy because it sits and tries to download 800,000 unread articles that I'll never open each time I boot it up.

superflush
May 20, 2011, 05:07 PM
When I first tried FlipBoard, I wasn't impressed ...
I tried FlipBoard again because I heard it added Google Reader support. Indeed, it did, and now I love it.

So I vote for FlipBoard. It's awesome.

Same with me. I didn't think Flipboard was that great at first, but now I use it all the time and really enjoy it.

ajvizzgamer101
May 20, 2011, 06:43 PM
Same with me. I didn't think Flipboard was that great at first, but now I use it all the time and really enjoy it.

Flipboard had the same article 3 times in a row last time I used it.

asdfx3
May 21, 2011, 01:42 AM
Thank you to all who mentioned Flipboard. A lot of other readers don't seem to present as much information or don't present it as nicely as Flipboard. For my use (grad student, I use it to view journal feeds first thing in the morning with my coffee) it seems to be great.

I just wish you could get more pages. I'd definitely be willing to pay for an unlimited pages version.

Mawal
May 21, 2011, 03:17 AM
To each his own I guess. River was certainly slower on the iPad 1, but it's been fine with my iPad 2. And in practice, I actually find Reeder much more slow and clumsy because it sits and tries to download 800,000 unread articles that I'll never open each time I boot it up.

lol....let's stick with the facts, default sync on Reeder is limited to 5.000 articles...

where as 800k unread items strike how did you manage to get that.

In my experience is slow on the Ipad2 as well.

Stangs55
May 21, 2011, 08:42 AM
lol....let's stick with the facts, default sync on Reeder is limited to 5.000 articles...

where as 800k unread items strike how did you manage to get that.

In my experience is slow on the Ipad2 as well.

Well, I may have exaggerated the 800k number (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FSarcasm&ei=177XTYOQEKbt0gH0iMT8Aw&usg=AFQjCNEh5L-dxk1mRRkwXN1oHMLgnzAVpw&sig2=f01O1dI7lew8uf4LMXr3rA), but it's the difference in how the two function that I prefer (as posted above).

If Reeder would add a feature where it would 'mark as read' when you scroll, then I would give it another go...but as far as I know, the only other Reader program that does that is Feedler, which I also have installed. If I'm reading the headlines of 5,000 articles and decide that I only want to actually read 20 of them, I want Google to know that the other 4,980 I've seen and don't want to see again....but unless I open each one individually, they'll always show up as unread. Of course you can always 'Mark All as Read', but what if I haven't made it though all of them yet? What if I've only scrolled down half the list? Then it'll mark 2,500 that I haven't seen yet as read.

mrt209
May 22, 2011, 06:15 PM
Bought 3 news readers: Reeder, Mr. Reader, and NewsRack

Out of the three, I prefer Mr. Reader, definitely one of the best readers available. Reeder is nice too, however, I prefer Mr. Reader's layout and features (like to see the list of feeds on the side). I use NewsRack on my mac exclusively, however, the iOS app sucks, takes forever to sync! Definetely not worth the money.

I'm probably going to switch back and forth between Reeder and Mr. Reader.

Stangs55
May 23, 2011, 07:19 AM
Bought 3 news readers: Reeder, Mr. Reader, and NewsRack

Out of the three, I prefer Mr. Reader, definitely one of the best readers available. Reeder is nice too, however, I prefer Mr. Reader's layout and features (like to see the list of feeds on the side). I use NewsRack on my mac exclusively, however, the iOS app sucks, takes forever to sync! Definetely not worth the money.

I'm probably going to switch back and forth between Reeder and Mr. Reader.

I picked up Mr Reader last night after reading this and subsequently emailing the dev a couple questions. To my surprise, he responded almost immediately...which was enough for me to give him my $2.99 in support, regardless of how much I'd use his app.
Well I didn't actually time the initial sync when I started it up...but I'd guess it took 8 or 9 minutes to sync before I could even do anything. ...Yeahhh...that's not going to work for me... Although I did love his interface and design, very clean yet functional. I look forward to seeing what improvements he can implement in future updates.

Fedorov
May 23, 2011, 07:57 AM
The dev of Mr.Reader is excellent and I'm expecting great updates from this app. Need to remember it's already as good if not better than Reeder and it's only a v1 product. I'm sure sync speeds will be improved.

mrt209
May 24, 2011, 12:47 PM
The dev of Mr.Reader is excellent and I'm expecting great updates from this app. Need to remember it's already as good if not better than Reeder and it's only a v1 product. I'm sure sync speeds will be improved.

Absolutely love Mr. Reader, prefer it over Reeder (regret buying it) and other rss readers. The sync isn't that bad, yeah it syncs for a while the first time, but its not 20 minutes like newsrack :p Looking forward to see new features in the future, although Im not sure what more to add.

debudebu
May 25, 2011, 07:21 PM
started with newsstand -> went to reeder -> pulse -> flipboard -> river of news -> mobilerss -> feeddler

Absolutely loving feeddler at the moment. Still sometimes use flipboard for the layout, but it sucks for downloading and getting through a large amount of feeds.

Fedorov
May 26, 2011, 02:50 AM
So what do you find better about Feeddler over MobileRSS and Reeder out of interest?

Diiiiips
May 26, 2011, 04:37 AM
So what do you find better about Feeddler over MobileRSS and Reeder out of interest?

I've settled on Feeddler over MobileRSS too tbf. Mobile was just crashing on me when opening feeds sometimes so I gave up on it. I use Flipboard for other stuff but not RSS as it doesn't seem to fetch all th news from a feed?

Pulse is just not an option for RSS. It looks pretty but it take to long to navigate round and choose your story, etc.

Not tried Reeder, River or the rest as I'm waiting for the jailbreak.

Stangs55
May 26, 2011, 08:04 AM
I use Feedler on my iPhone about 90% of the time. The problem with the iPad version, is that's it's just a blown up iPhone port. I'd give the iPhone version 4.5 stars and the iPad version 1 star.

Sanveann
May 31, 2011, 06:51 PM
I've been using Reeder for my iPhone for awhile now and just got the iPad version. Love it! (Thanks for the info about "unpinching" folders, btw -- didn't know you could do that!)