Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muskie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
Minneapolis
Hey guys,

I was looking to upgrade the card in my G4, and so I searched around here a while back, read all the stuff about the 9800's and how they dont support ADC for G4s and all that good stuff. I recently discovered on ATI's site that they now have a 128 version of the 9000 pro and am seriously considering buying it. I game quite a bit, and I'm in school for graphic design so I use Adobe's CS and a few other programs. Nothing that's terribly GPU intensive in that sense, besides the gaming. Would it be worth the $150 they are charging? I don't mind dropping $150 if its gonna help with better framerates in games (CoD and MoH:AA mostly, ut2k3 also). I'm also planning on going to a gig of RAM to help with some of my Photoshop sluggishness (only on large renderings), so that should help as well.

So basically I'm just curious what you all think. Would it be much of an imporvement at all to go from the 9000 pro 64 to the 128?

Thanks!

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Muskie said:
Hey guys,

I was looking to upgrade the card in my G4, and so I searched around here a while back, read all the stuff about the 9800's and how they dont support ADC for G4s and all that good stuff. I recently discovered on ATI's site that they now have a 128 version of the 9000 pro and am seriously considering buying it. I game quite a bit, and I'm in school for graphic design so I use Adobe's CS and a few other programs. Nothing that's terribly GPU intensive in that sense, besides the gaming. Would it be worth the $150 they are charging? I don't mind dropping $150 if its gonna help with better framerates in games (CoD and MoH:AA mostly, ut2k3 also). I'm also planning on going to a gig of RAM to help with some of my Photoshop sluggishness (only on large renderings), so that should help as well.

So basically I'm just curious what you all think. Would it be much of an imporvement at all to go from the 9000 pro 64 to the 128?

Thanks!

I don't see upping your video card will give you that much improvement. Save that money for that GIG and that will inprove your performance.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
A 128MB card will give you almost no improvement. A Radeon 9800 would be the only thing that would give you any significant increase in speed for games. Photoshop, Illustrator will see virtually no improvement going from the 9000 to 9800.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.