PDA

View Full Version : Ditching your laptop (MBA) for an iPad

entatlrg
Apr 9, 2010, 01:19 PM
There's a lot of people over in the iPad section saying since they received their iPad they haven't touched their laptops.

Some have even sold their MBP's already because they're so blown away with their iPads.

Any MBA owners here who bought iPads and feel the same way?

I'm guessing there isn't as many :)

calderone
Apr 10, 2010, 01:30 AM
With my Mac Pro and iPad, I don't find my self using my Air. It will be going on eBay this weekend.

I may pick up an older Macbook for testing purposes, but I plan on making the iPad my primary portable.

happyslayer
Apr 10, 2010, 05:49 PM
I use my iPad for quicky surfing and games and such, but my Air is still my primary writing machine.

I like to write sci-fi novels in my spare time and writing on the iPad, while doable - I've written a fair amount on it - is not near as easy as the Air.

Also, the lack of USB on the iPad makes it fairly annoying to copy my documents from one machine to another and I am just not that thrilled with iWork to use it all the time. It feels overly cumbersome to get data in and out of the iPad.

However, editing my writing is really nice on the iPad. I make quick corrections in red font (using Pages) and then I can quickly scan through and make corrections on the Air. This definitely saves paper as well.

Anyway, wont be getting rid of the Air anytime soon.

Oh, one other thing, GoogleDocs does NOT allow editing on the iPad so that is another reason to keep a laptop.

That's just my opinions though.

gwsat
Apr 10, 2010, 05:50 PM
For those of use who use a computer for writing, an iPad, despite it's many great features, is a poor substitute for a real computer with a real keyboard. Thus, it seems to me, at least, that the iPad is an unsatisfactory substitute for a Macbook Air. Another problem with the iPad is its lack of Flash support. For example, in another thread a poster reported that when he tried to load the Masters leaderboard into Safari on an iPad, nothing came up because The Masters leaderboard page required the Flash plugin. Oops!

drjsway
Apr 10, 2010, 06:02 PM
Although I haven't used my MBA all week, I'm still keeping it. I write screenplays and the Final Draft app isn't out yet for the iPad. I can see myself writing an entire screenplay on the iPad though. I get 60WPM on the iPad keyboard and 80WPM on a regular one. As with most writing that involves creativity, you spend most of your time thinking anyway, not typing.

I also occasionally edit movies using Final Cut Pro on the go. A MBA is just barely powerful enough to do that, so it won't be an option on the iPad for at least another few years.

EDIT: I will say this though. The iPad is the first truly portable computer. Even my MBA, I would always debate whether to bring it out with me. With the iPad, there is no hesitation. I just grab it when I'm leaving the house. Having a virtually zero chance of ever running out of battery also helps.

calderone
Apr 10, 2010, 06:12 PM
For those of use who use a computer for writing, an iPad, despite it's many great features, is a poor substitute for a real computer with a real keyboard. Thus, it seems to me, at least, that the iPad is an unsatisfactory substitute for a Macbook Air. Another problem with the iPad is its lack of Flash support. For example, in another thread a poster reported that when he tried to load the Masters leaderboard into Safari on an iPad, nothing came up because The Masters leaderboard page required the Flash plugin. Oops!

1. There is a physical keyboard available and bluetooth keyboards can be used.

2. The Masters website is an example of Flash gone wrong. Nearly all of the stat boards available are viewable on the iPad. However, the Full Leader Board is not because some idiot decided to use Flash to display that particular list, yes a text list.

If these web developers would stop using Flash for things that do not require Flash much more of the Internet would be available.

Now, a user may miss out on some content, for example something that benefits from being interactive and "must" be done in Flash. Even still, it is bad form to not offer an alternative. The lack of Flash can be detected and an alternate site/content can be offered. Sure it may not be as "fancy" and they could exclude some content. This is good form even without the iPad as a consideration, yet many web developers just do not get it.

Take the attached picture for example: www.thefwa.com. If you offer me a site like this, you already lost me. This is absolutely unnecessary and there is no reason that site could not have be created without Flash or at least an alternative site.

gwsat
Apr 10, 2010, 06:43 PM
1. There is a physical keyboard available and bluetooth keyboards can be used.

2. The Masters website is an example of Flash gone wrong. Nearly all of the stat boards available are viewable on the iPad. However, the Full Leader Board is not because some idiot decided to use Flash to display that particular list, yes a text list.

If these web developers would stop using Flash for things that do not require Flash much more of the Internet would be available.

Now, a user may miss out on some content, for example something that benefits from being interactive and "must" be done in Flash. Even still, it is bad form to not offer an alternative. The lack of Flash can be detected and an alternate site/content can be offered. Sure it may not be as "fancy" and they could exclude some content. This is good form even without the iPad as a consideration, yet many web developers just do not get it.

Take the attached picture for example: [Image elided]. If you offer me a site like this, you already lost me. This is absolutely unnecessary and there is no reason that site could not have be created without Flash or at least an alternative site.

To me, at least, an external keyboard defeats the purpose of an iPad, which is supposed to be a small, portable device, not two devices. As it happens, I have an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and it's pretty big. It is far from easily portable as an iPad is portable.

All I know about the iPad's Flash problem is what another poster said in another thread. Also, I can't resist pointing out that I had the Masters leaderboard open on my MBP this afternoon and it worked perfectly. Make of that what you will. :)

More seriously, I am not denigrating the iPad but I do think that it currently has some serious limitations, some of which are correctable, but others of which, like key board input, are not.

calderone
Apr 10, 2010, 07:25 PM
To me, at least, an external keyboard defeats the purpose of an iPad, which is supposed to be a small, portable device, not two devices. As it happens, I have an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and it's pretty big. It is far from easily portable as an iPad is portable.

All I know about the iPad's Flash problem is what another poster said in another thread. Also, I can't resist pointing out that I had the Masters leaderboard open on my MBP this afternoon and it worked perfectly. Make of that what you will. :)

More seriously, I am not denigrating the iPad but I do think that it currently has some serious limitations, some of which are correctable, but others of which, like key board input, are not.

I don't see how it "defeats the purpose." The iPad does not stop being portable because you have a keyboard. In fact, the iPad has the advantage because you can use it without a keyboard, if you need the keyboard pull it out and use it.

And the Bluetooth Keyboard is not "pretty big." Unless you are talking about the old white plastic one. I snapped some quick photos to illustrate my point.

Stacked:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4509441166_7a8a16cc6b_b.jpg

Side-by-side:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2160/4509441336_9186445212_o.jpg

Stacked, top view:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4063/4508803737_83af1069bc_b.jpg

Keyboard and iPad comparison
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2685/4508812331_4b76fd59a6_o.jpg

The iPad has the advantage, including the advantage of not using a keyboard thus reducing its size.

I don't see how pointing out that you opened the Leader Board on your MBP addresses the incompetence of some web developers.

drjsway
Apr 10, 2010, 07:48 PM
A keyboard does defeat the purpose and completely unnecessary. We've been using physical keyboards all our life and it takes time to get used to something different. Instead of using a keyboard accessory, take the time to learn to use the iPad one. I already get 60WPM and I bet that number will come up the more I use it.

Scottsdale
Apr 10, 2010, 08:43 PM
The iPad is no replacement for an MBA. Those who think the iPad can replace their MBA never needed a COMPUTER in the first place. The iPad doesn't do computing... it does entertainment observation.

As I stated elsewhere, the iPad isn't great at anything other than nice battery life and being extremely portable. It simply fails in comparison at any one thing like using it as a book, to watch movies, check email, type a book, surf the web, play games, compute, listen to music, or run Mac OS X applications.

The iPad's advantage is it does everything half-assed! That's the truth...

Read a book - too bright (fancy with gimmicky page turning) and inferior to Kindle and Nook.

Watch movies - too small and annoying to hold in the right position.

Check email - if I want to check email on the go an iPhone is better. If I need to reply to an email in depth, my MBA is better.

Type a book - please, without a physical attached keyboard it's grossly inferior.

Surf the web - without Flash it's a fail. It doesn't matter why or whose fault we cannot see even content on websites (don't blame SJ, don't blame developer for using Flash, and don't blame the coder who implemented it - as 98% of all web capable devices had Flash installed as of last year). The bottom line is it's a fail. It doesn't matter if we take the assumption that SJ is doing the wrong thing or the developer shouldn't use Flash at all, or the coder shouldn't have used Flash for content or navigation. The bottom line is without Flash the iPad is a fail for Internet.

Size - it's too big to put in a pocket and too small to really enjoy the display and its inherent qualities *being IPS.

Materials - feels great, but what does one look like after dropped? I plan to give mine to my young daughter for as long as it lasts... while aluminum is beautiful, for an entertainment device I believe Apple should have picked a better case material. We have seen this with the plastic MBs over the MBA/MBPs that are aluminum. When a plastic MB is dropped, it's usually not that big of a deal. When an aluminum Mac is dropped, it's often $1000 or more and Apple most of the time voids the warranty.

Play games - one cannot tell me this is better than a Wii, Xbox, or Playstation... better than an iPhone, maybe.

Compute - please... what a joke.

Input or Creation - not this Apple product.

Music - too big to carry along. No real improvements over an iPod.

Mac OS X apps - let's face it this is no Mac. One who uses a Mac for work/creation/input simply cannot replace a Mac with an iPad. The iPad is second rate at everything it does.

So where the iPad really achieves greatness is if one just wants a device to "sorta" do things, or do them half-assed!

tigres
Apr 10, 2010, 09:18 PM
The iPad is no replacement for an MBA. Those who think the iPad can replace their MBA never needed a COMPUTER in the first place. The iPad doesn't do computing... it does entertainment observation.

As I stated elsewhere, the iPad isn't great at anything other than nice battery life and being extremely portable. It simply fails in comparison at any one thing like using it as a book, to watch movies, check email, type a book, surf the web, play games, compute, listen to music, or run Mac OS X applications.

Read a book - too bright (fancy with gimmicky page turning) and inferior to Kindle and Nook.

Check email - if I want to check email on the go an iPhone is better. If I need to reply to an email in depth, my MBA is better.

Type a book - please, without a physical attached keyboard it's grossly inferior.

Surf the web - without Flash it's a fail. It doesn't matter why or whose fault we cannot see even content on websites (don't blame SJ, don't blame developer for using Flash, and don't blame the coder who implemented it - as 98% of all web capable devices had Flash installed as of last year). The bottom line is it's a fail. It doesn't matter if we take the assumption that SJ is doing the wrong thing or the developer shouldn't use Flash at all, or the coder shouldn't have used Flash for content or navigation. The bottom line is without Flash the iPad is a fail for Internet.

Size - it's too big to put in a pocket and too small to really enjoy the display and its inherent qualities *being IPS.

Materials - feels great, but what does one look like after dropped? I plan to give mine to my young daughter for as long as it lasts... while aluminum is beautiful, for an entertainment device I believe Apple should have picked a better case material. We have seen this with the plastic MBs over the MBA/MBPs that are aluminum. When a plastic MB is dropped, it's usually not that big of a deal. When an aluminum Mac is dropped, it's often $1000 or more and Apple most of the time voids the warranty.

Play games - one cannot tell me this is better than a Wii, Xbox, or Playstation... better than an iPhone, maybe.

Mac OS X apps - let's face it this is no Mac. One who uses a Mac for work/creation/input simply cannot replace a Mac with an iPad. The iPad is second rate at everything it does.

So where the iPad really achieves greatness is if one just wants a device to "sorta" do things, or do them half-assed!

+2 my son and I.

You said this better than I Scottsdale.
I have a MBA, and gave this iPad a good lookover.
What I found is it's brings nothing new to easing my work, or making it more organized.

I find this to be a toy, and nothing more.
However, port osx on it, JB it then maybe I'll play.

What on earth is the big deal for this half baked toy?
I passed on this purchase with ease, and no remorse.

entatlrg
Apr 10, 2010, 09:30 PM

Very well said.

iPad isn't for me, why carry an extra device that does everything half ass'd at best.

iPad makes me love my MBA even more :)

calderone
Apr 10, 2010, 10:24 PM

That is a horrible assumption. It would be valid if the MBA was my only computer, but alas it is not. With a Mac Pro that is use the majority of my day I can do without the Air.

Also, couldn't someone with a MBP also claim the same thing about your MBA? That is doesn't do "computing." Of course, it would probably just mean that they have a different sense of "computing," but that doesn't matter does it?

Everything you have stated before is your opinion. But let me give another perspective.

I thought we were comparing the MBA and the iPad? What does the Nook or Kindle have to do with this? Oh, I see, we are supposed to carry our Nook or Kindle's with us too.

I had a Kindle, and frankly, it was far too slow for any real work. Sure, if you are reading a novel it works, but for technical documents (which is where I spend most of my time) it is worthless. Much of this is due to the slow e-ink, but the interface doesn't help either.

In regards to the screen, I read technical documents pretty much all day on one of my side 20" in portrait. My eyes are not strained, nor are they strained on the iPad when I use it. While the brightness may bother some, it does not bother everyone.

In your opinion. This also assumes that one has to hold it, there are plenty of cases now that will stand it up for you, much like a MBA would sit. I also welcome the cool factor as well, too many times have I fried my balls with the Macbook air sitting on my lap.

What is that you say? Get a cool pad or something for the Air to sit on? Ok, I will add that to my bag along with the Kindle/Nook.

Or how about, you check the email on the iPad and also reply on the iPad since its' keyboard allows one to type much faster than the iPhone.

But of course, this is personal preference no?

So, dock it or have a case that allows it to sit upright and pair your BT keyboard to it.

Ah, the good old Flash argument. I block Flash on my Desktop because I don't like Flash content. I do it on my Air too. If the developer does not want to offer me their content in a way that is not resource intensive they can kiss my ass.

A MBA is too big to put in your pocket too, but I don't see that stopping you from buying one.

And how can the display be too small to enjoy IPS? I am sure if it was TN you would be sure to tell everyone how horrible it looks, but maybe not since you enjoy you MBA and its TN panel.

This is one of your weakest arguments.

Wait, isn't the MBA aluminum? And guess what, even if it is $1000 to repair a dropped iPad (I have accidental with my insurance, so I am good) you can buy one cheaper. Whereas a MBA is going to cost you more. So how is this a negative?

So denounce the iPad because it is aluminum, but praise the MBA? Can you try a little harder?

Again, I thought this was about the iPad and the MBA? Are you telling me that your Air has better games than the Wii? The Xbox? The PLAYSTATION 3!?

This is absolutely irrelevant. Until the iPhone, games on any Apple platform were hard to come by let alone good games. This may change with Steam coming to the Mac, but I doubt you will be enjoying those on your MBA.

But, since this doesn't seem to be about the Air and iPad, lets go ahead and toss a gaming system in the bag too. We are gonna need a TV, will 20" do it? Or do we need a 46" or 50" to really enjoy them? Guess I am going to need some kind of barrel to carry all this stuff.

And what "computing" do you do? Safari? Nobody is buying an iPad to cure cancer in a week or cut the next Star Wars, but nobody is buying a Macbook Air do that either, are they?

Last time I check people could enter text, which is a creation of sorts. Oh, and people were producing some really great drawings with some of the apps as well. But who cares about that right?

Let's just grab the super awesome Macbook Air and encode some HD video. Ooo oo, we could make pretty pictures in Photoshop on that huge 13" screen!

Really, no improvement over and iPod? Really? I didn't know you could stream music wirelessly with an iPod? What is the app for that?

Oh, and can you listen to music and reply to an email on an iPod? Emails seem to be important to you, so you must be able to.

Yes you can replace a Mac with an iPad if you have another Mac to do you work on. End of story. Your whole assumption is based on having NO Mac and only an iPad, and that is simply false. Those people probably wouldn't argue with you because they probably didn't need a Mac in the first place.

You haven't proven your thesis in the slightest. All you have done is given your opinion.

Let me see what we need to carry along with us though.

1. A Macbook Air, although if we want to do *real* computing we might need a MBP.
2. Nook or Kindle. We can't read on the laptop since our eyes will become strained.
3. Xbox, Wii, PS3. We can't game on an iPad, but then again we can't game on an Air either, at least not in the same way we can on the Xbox, Wii, PS3. And we might need all three to make sure we get the full experience.
4. A TV to play these console on.

That ought to do it. Now, how should I go about carrying all this stuff?

Wild-Bill
Apr 10, 2010, 10:28 PM
My MBA ?

........you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands first. :D

drjsway
Apr 10, 2010, 11:53 PM

I'm going to stop you right there. You have no idea what you're talking about. Have you tried the iBooks app? At minimal brightness, it is dimmer than any LCD I've ever seen.

You are the one who said there are no benefits to an IPS display for watching movies? Just because you can't see color banding and other artifacts associated with TN displays doesn't mean there are not there. That's a fact.

Just because you haven't learned to use the on-screen keyboard doesn't mean its not functional. As I said, I type 60WPM on it and I'm hardly the world's fastest iPad typist.

Now I'm a big MBA fan. I bought both the Rev A and Rev B. But the iPad is also an excellent machine. Anyone who says otherwise is still stuck in the old ways of doing things. The iPad is different and requires that you change your mindset of what a computer is. It requires you to take some time and learn how to use it. Of course you're faster in OSX now. You've used it for 10 years. You learned how to use it.

The iPad is a computer and the most functional computer of its form factor so far. And it will cut into MBA sales whether you like it or not.

Scottsdale
Apr 10, 2010, 11:54 PM
That is a horrible assumption. It would be valid if the MBA was my only computer, but alas it is not. With a Mac Pro that is use the majority of my day I can do without the Air.

Also, couldn't someone with a MBP also claim the same thing about your MBA? That is doesn't do "computing." Of course, it would probably just mean that they have a different sense of "computing," but that doesn't matter does it?

Everything you have stated before is your opinion. But let me give another perspective.

I thought we were comparing the MBA and the iPad? What does the Nook or Kindle have to do with this? Oh, I see, we are supposed to carry our Nook or Kindle's with us too.

I had a Kindle, and frankly, it was far too slow for any real work. Sure, if you are reading a novel it works, but for technical documents (which is where I spend most of my time) it is worthless. Much of this is due to the slow e-ink, but the interface doesn't help either.

In regards to the screen, I read technical documents pretty much all day on one of my side 20" in portrait. My eyes are not strained, nor are they strained on the iPad when I use it. While the brightness may bother some, it does not bother everyone.

In your opinion. This also assumes that one has to hold it, there are plenty of cases now that will stand it up for you, much like a MBA would sit. I also welcome the cool factor as well, too many times have I fried my balls with the Macbook air sitting on my lap.

What is that you say? Get a cool pad or something for the Air to sit on? Ok, I will add that to my bag along with the Kindle/Nook.

Or how about, you check the email on the iPad and also reply on the iPad since its' keyboard allows one to type much faster than the iPhone.

But of course, this is personal preference no?

So, dock it or have a case that allows it to sit upright and pair your BT keyboard to it.

Ah, the good old Flash argument. I block Flash on my Desktop because I don't like Flash content. I do it on my Air too. If the developer does not want to offer me their content in a way that is not resource intensive they can kiss my ass.

A MBA is too big to put in your pocket too, but I don't see that stopping you from buying one.

And how can the display be too small to enjoy IPS? I am sure if it was TN you would be sure to tell everyone how horrible it looks, but maybe not since you enjoy you MBA and its TN panel.

This is one of your weakest arguments.

Wait, isn't the MBA aluminum? And guess what, even if it is $1000 to repair a dropped iPad (I have accidental with my insurance, so I am good) you can buy one cheaper. Whereas a MBA is going to cost you more. So how is this a negative?

So denounce the iPad because it is aluminum, but praise the MBA? Can you try a little harder?

Again, I thought this was about the iPad and the MBA? Are you telling me that your Air has better games than the Wii? The Xbox? The PLAYSTATION 3!?

This is absolutely irrelevant. Until the iPhone, games on any Apple platform were hard to come by let alone good games. This may change with Steam coming to the Mac, but I doubt you will be enjoying those on your MBA.

But, since this doesn't seem to be about the Air and iPad, lets go ahead and toss a gaming system in the bag too. We are gonna need a TV, will 20" do it? Or do we need a 46" or 50" to really enjoy them? Guess I am going to need some kind of barrel to carry all this stuff.

And what "computing" do you do? Safari? Nobody is buying an iPad to cure cancer in a week or cut the next Star Wars, but nobody is buying a Macbook Air do that either, are they?

Last time I check people could enter text, which is a creation of sorts. Oh, and people were producing some really great drawings with some of the apps as well. But who cares about that right?

Let's just grab the super awesome Macbook Air and encode some HD video. Ooo oo, we could make pretty pictures in Photoshop on that huge 13" screen!

Really, no improvement over and iPod? Really? I didn't know you could stream music wirelessly with an iPod? What is the app for that?

Oh, and can you listen to music and reply to an email on an iPod? Emails seem to be important to you, so you must be able to.

Yes you can replace a Mac with an iPad if you have another Mac to do you work on. End of story. Your whole assumption is based on having NO Mac and only an iPad, and that is simply false. Those people probably wouldn't argue with you because they probably didn't need a Mac in the first place.

You haven't proven your thesis in the slightest. All you have done is given your opinion.

Let me see what we need to carry along with us though.

1. A Macbook Air, although if we want to do *real* computing we might need a MBP.
2. Nook or Kindle. We can't read on the laptop since our eyes will become strained.
3. Xbox, Wii, PS3. We can't game on an iPad, but then again we can't game on an Air either, at least not in the same way we can on the Xbox, Wii, PS3. And we might need all three to make sure we get the full experience.
4. A TV to play these console on.

That ought to do it. Now, how should I go about carrying all this stuff?

My analogies all showed that the iPad isn't great at anything. It's good at some things, but as a whole it's a half-assed task completer. I wasn't just comparing the MBA to iPad. I was showing the iPad has no one dominant advantage as others have stated.

Pretty much any avid reader, like myself, will prefer e-ink over the iPad. My point was again that the iPad isn't a GREAT book reader.

Try using your docking station on your lap with keyboard attached. Not much of a portable writing station is the point. The MBA is far superior to a writer.

Why would I check email on the iPad if I have an iPhone that fits in my pocket and is my COMPLETE communication device? Text, email, voice, all in one device that fits right in my pocket.

Flash isn't an argument... it's a standard at least in the sense of 98% market penetration as of last year. That market domination far succeeds any of Apple's greatest successes. Flash is critical in viewing the real web. Flash isn't just about ads to be ignored... Flash offers real video viewing on the Internet for via ad supported content.

The IPS display I enjoy is on my 24" LED ACD. It is truly a joy to use... IPS is great, but it has disadvantages too. I would prefer an IPS display on my MBA. So what? Is that the iPad's one great task completer? What task is that again?

Computing requires input or creation not just observation or viewing. Yes, the MBA is markedly better and superior in every way in completion of tasks or WORK.

The aluminum on a computer is different than on a 9" entertainment device. I gladly state that I LOVE the feel and looks of aluminum. However, is the $1 worth of raw aluminum worth paying Apple hundreds of dollars for every time someone drops their iPad. Seems like Apple might have made the decision to make money, perhaps even in selling its own case in addition to repairing the iPad aluminum case for what? $200 is my guess...

Honestly, your arguments were so weak as to make me consider not responding... however, I will give you a reply for effort in all of that work you did (ESPECIALLY IF YOU TYPED IT ON AN IPAD). Want to go again and come up with some better arguments, or should I do it for you?

Scottsdale
Apr 11, 2010, 12:09 AM
I'm going to stop you right there. You have no idea what you're talking about. Have you tried the iBooks app? At minimal brightness, it is dimmer than any LCD I've ever seen.

You are the one who said there are no benefits to an IPS display for watching movies? Just because you can't see color banding and other artifacts associated with TN displays doesn't mean there are not there. That's a fact.

Just because you haven't learned to use the on-screen keyboard doesn't mean its not functional. As I said, I type 60WPM on it and I'm hardly the world's fastest iPad typist.

Now I'm a big MBA fan. I bought both the Rev A and Rev B. But the iPad is also an excellent machine. Anyone who says otherwise is still stuck in the old ways of doing things. The iPad is different and requires that you change your mindset of what a computer is. It requires you to take some time and learn how to use it. Of course you're faster in OSX now. You've used it for 10 years. You learned how to use it.

The iPad is a computer and the most functional computer of its form factor so far. And it will cut into MBA sales whether you like it or not.

Absolutely. I believe the iPad's display is inferior to e-ink for reading. I stick by that fully. I have both devices, and my Nook is by far a superior reading device. Do you have both too?

I agree that the iPad is a wonderful tool for doing a lot of little/small tasks but it even fails to its smaller iPhone brother in a lot of those tasks. One day it will be amazing. However, right now it's seriously lacking in my opinion. I cannot believe how inferior it truly is on every level to the device that is the leader in the same category the iPad is competing in. I don't care how beautiful the IPS display is nor how wonderful the aluminum feels, the device itself is inferior to every expectation I had for it. I am extremely disappointed. I still know its potential, and I agree the app store will make it much more relevant. But for right now, it's a device that doesn't do anything really great especially if one already owns an iPhone/iPod Touch which is more portable therefore better in portability.

In several years, the iPad will be sure joy. Right now, I am completely disappointed. It's a first revision, and as usual the Apple first revision product is Apple's learning curve. Since Apple is so secretive, it doesn't even fully test its products, in my opinion.

I had great ideas for the iPad, and I still do. But as of right now, it's a huge disappointment for me. In addition, it's so inferior to the MBA that it's ridiculous. I don't know how anyone could give up their MBA for an iPad unless they didn't really use the MBA for creation or input of information. For viewing videos, or doing light web browsing, or checking email, they might be able to switch from an MBA but not for real work.

drjsway
Apr 11, 2010, 12:13 AM

This is completely true. Unless they are light users, most people couldn't function with a MBA as their only Mac either. If they are light users though, an iPad would serve them fine.

To me, the biggest weakness of the laptop is the inability to use portrait mode. Most websites are vertically oriented. So are documents. Because that's available to me in the iPad, I get more information per page from a 9.7" screen than a MB's 13.3" screen. Go to most websites with articles. Articles in the middle, ads and other crap on the sides. Turn it vertically on the iPad and zoom in, you cut the crap on the sides and end up with 1024 vertical lines, more than 25% more than a MBA.

If the iPad gets the same developer support the iPhone had, it will have hundreds of thousands of apps. Would any OSX app do something these apps can't?

calderone
Apr 11, 2010, 12:18 AM
My analogies all showed that the iPad isn't great at anything. It's good at some things, but as a whole it's a half-assed task completer. I wasn't just comparing the MBA to iPad. I was showing the iPad has no one dominant advantage as others have stated.

Pretty much any avid reader, like myself, will prefer e-ink over the iPad. My point was again that the iPad isn't a GREAT book reader.

Try using your docking station on your lap with keyboard attached. Not much of a portable writing station is the point. The MBA is far superior to a writer.

Why would I check email on the iPad if I have an iPhone that fits in my pocket and is my COMPLETE communication device? Text, email, voice, all in one device that fits right in my pocket.

Flash isn't an argument... it's a standard at least in the sense of 98% market penetration as of last year. That market domination far succeeds any of Apple's greatest successes. Flash is critical in viewing the real web. Flash isn't just about ads to be ignored... Flash offers real video viewing on the Internet for via ad supported content.

The IPS display I enjoy is on my 24" LED ACD. It is truly a joy to use... IPS is great, but it has disadvantages too. I would prefer an IPS display on my MBA. So what? Is that the iPad's one great task completer? What task is that again?

Computing requires input or creation not just observation or viewing. Yes, the MBA is markedly better and superior in every way in completion of tasks or WORK.

The aluminum on a computer is different than on a 9" entertainment device. I gladly state that I LOVE the feel and looks of aluminum. However, is the $1 worth of raw aluminum worth paying Apple hundreds of dollars for every time someone drops their iPad. Seems like Apple might have made the decision to make money, perhaps even in selling its own case in addition to repairing the iPad aluminum case for what? $200 is my guess...

Honestly, your arguments were so weak as to make me consider not responding... however, I will give you a reply for effort in all of that work you did (ESPECIALLY IF YOU TYPED IT ON AN IPAD). Want to go again and come up with some better arguments, or should I do it for you?

You haven't presented any reasonable arguments. Only opinions. And your worthless arguments were based on a false premise, that I would be replacing the MBA and only using an iPad.

In addition, your shifted the argument off topic by including devices that are irrelevant to the discussion. I don't give a rats ass if the Xbox offers a better gaming experience. I am not about to lug a 360 and a display around with me. Nor am I going to lug around an e-book reader if I don't need to.

And all of your analogies also show that the MBA isn't great at anything either. It is also good at some things but is a half-assed task computer. Why you say?

1. According to you, the disadvantage of a backlit screen is the tiring of your eyes due to the brightness. This means the MBA is not a great e-reader.

2. According to you, the iPad cannot "compute." Ignoring the vagaries of this, the MBA falls to the same claim. Sure you may be able to touch up an FCS project, but you are going to encode on an Air. And with only 2GB of RAM you will hardly be doing much multitasking. So, the MBA is also a half-assed computer.

3. According to you, the iPad is too small to enjoy the IPS display. It isn't a 1" display, it is a 9" display. And one would easily be able to tell the difference between a TN iPad and an IPS iPad. Let's extend the argument to the Air, the Air has a TN panel and is larger than iPad with less pixel density. So where does that leave the MBA in your argument? I suppose it is too large since it emphasizes the inherent inferiority of a TN panel?

4. No, computing does not requires input or creation. Is your MBA not "computing" when you are watching a movie or listening to music? Despite this faulty definition, I have given examples of putting input into an iPad and these possibilities will only increase with time. You have not provided any argument that suggests that input is not possible on the iPad. In addition, if you wanted to draw with any precision with a MBA you are going to have to lug around a Wacom. While on the iPad you could mock up a project and send it over to your main machine to take that idea further.

Sure, the MBA is markedly superior (in terms of specs), but so is a MBP when compared to a MBA. Each device has a purpose, but again, your entire argument rests on someone replacing a Mac with an iPad when no other Mac is present.

5. You still have given no reason for aluminum being more of a problem for the iPad. The MBA is an entertainment device as well. In addition I don't see any connection between being an entertainment device. Is the MBA immune do damage while it is being used as an "entertainment device?"

6. Flash isn't critical for me, nor do I consider it the "real web." This is again, opinion.

So no, only you have offered weak arguments. Namely because they are opinions. None of what I am stating is meant to be an argument, but merely a different way of looking at the situation. The difference between you and me is that you want to put forward an argument but are falling at it, while I am just shutting down your "arguments."

Also, please tell me what "work" you are doing on your MBA.

drjsway
Apr 11, 2010, 12:28 AM
Absolutely. I believe the iPad's display is inferior to e-ink for reading. I stick by that fully. I have both devices, and my Nook is by far a superior reading device. Do you have both too?

I agree that the iPad is a wonderful tool for doing a lot of little/small tasks but it even fails to its smaller iPhone brother in a lot of those tasks. One day it will be amazing. However, right now it's seriously lacking in my opinion. I cannot believe how inferior it truly is on every level to the device that is the leader in the same category the iPad is competing in. I don't care how beautiful the IPS display is nor how wonderful the aluminum feels, the device itself is inferior to every expectation I had for it. I am extremely disappointed. I still know its potential, and I agree the app store will make it much more relevant. But for right now, it's a device that doesn't do anything really great especially if one already owns an iPhone/iPod Touch which is more portable therefore better in portability.

In several years, the iPad will be sure joy. Right now, I am completely disappointed. It's a first revision, and as usual the Apple first revision product is Apple's learning curve. Since Apple is so secretive, it doesn't even fully test its products, in my opinion.

I had great ideas for the iPad, and I still do. But as of right now, it's a huge disappointment for me. In addition, it's so inferior to the MBA that it's ridiculous. I don't know how anyone could give up their MBA for an iPad unless they didn't really use the MBA for creation or input of information. For viewing videos, or doing light web browsing, or checking email, they might be able to switch from an MBA but not for real work.

I had a Kindle for a little while. Never tried the Nook. Never got into the Kindle. I'm a big fan of real books. I like the whole experience from cover art to flipping the pages. The Kindle makes me feel like I'm reading a text document. The iPad mimics a real book much better. Call it a gimmick if you want but the page turning shows Apple's attention to detail in replicating the real book experience as closely as possible. After a lifetime but real books, I'm finally sold on e-books.

BTW, I run Windows 7 and OSX all the time on my iPad through a VNC. I use Desktop Connect but there are other apps too. I can do everything I want on my desktop without ever turning on the monitor.

iPad $499 + macmini $599 = an OSX tablet more powerful than a MBA.

Scottsdale
Apr 11, 2010, 02:22 AM
I had a Kindle for a little while. Never tried the Nook. Never got into the Kindle. I'm a big fan of real books. I like the whole experience from cover art to flipping the pages. The Kindle makes me feel like I'm reading a text document. The iPad mimics a real book much better. Call it a gimmick if you want but the page turning shows Apple's attention to detail in replicating the real book experience as closely as possible. After a lifetime but real books, I'm finally sold on e-books.

BTW, I run Windows 7 and OSX all the time on my iPad through a VNC. I use Desktop Connect but there are other apps too. I can do everything I want on my desktop without ever turning on the monitor.

iPad $499 + macmini $599 = an OSX tablet more powerful than a MBA.

Believe me, I really really wanted to love reading on the iPad. However, the fancy page turning (whether gimmick or not) isn't adding to the quality of reading nor is it making the iPad feel like a book. I believe Apple did that to allow the ease of the idea of converting books over. It makes it simple to realize how to get to the next page. I actually believe within ten years there will be cameras detecting where our eyes are looking and automatically scroll the text for us. It's natural to scroll text not flip pages as it wouldn't require a break in the text. Flipping pages came to be because of the limitations of the book and fitting text on pages. It's not natural in terms of reading itself.

I much prefer a real book over an ebook to read, but to deal with a large volume of books takes up a lot of space. I own over 1000 books (ten large bookcases completely full). When I started college, I sold my first three textbooks back and realized it was stupid to do that as each book is part of my knowledge base. Pretty soon I started only buying all books I read vs. checking out at the library. I have taken that idea a little too far. I also read several professional journals on a monthly basis. The whole collection of reading materials become too overbearing and difficult to deal with/store/etc (in terms of moving around when I had to move, taking space could be used for something else, clearing space for family space, and etc). I did cave in for the Kindle which was decent but slow just as has been stated here. However, the e-ink on the Kindle is far superior to reading on the iPad in my opinion. I really like the Nook and it's faster, but neither is the same as a good old book.

I also review college business textbooks, and I like to have a hard copy of every textbook I review. Therefore once the Kindle was introduced, I decided that the novels/anything fiction I read that I would start buying as ebooks only. It has worked out fairly well. I spend far less time in book stores, I get instant gratification, and it's much easier to store an e-library.

I do believe that students viewing books on the iPad will get an advantage for color photos, but even that will be minimized with color e-ink displays. In addition, the weight of carrying around textbooks is bad on the back. Students will one day just use one e/i reader. One problem for students though is that they sometime work from more than one book at a time, and that may be trouble at times. But moving from 30 lb. of textbooks in a backpack to a 1.5 lb. e/i reader is an advantage. Either way, the student probably needs an e/i reader and a notebook computer. I envision reading from the e/i reader and typing on the notebook computer.

Believe me, I wanted to love reading on the iPad, but I don't. I will read on it, but it will be more likely magazines not books.

Your last statement was extremely interesting to me. I didn't know of this capability. It reminded me of another idea I have had. Why doesn't Apple allow people that own Macs to stream just the display information from their Mac to their iPhone OS device. It would sell more Macs. A lot of people own iPhone OS devices and not a Mac. Why not capitalize on that and use the Mac's capabilities to show Flash content on iPhone OS devices. In addition, it offers a solution right now instead of missing out on Flash web content.

Scottsdale
Apr 11, 2010, 02:46 AM
You haven't presented any reasonable arguments. Only opinions. And your worthless arguments were based on a false premise, that I would be replacing the MBA and only using an iPad.

In addition, your shifted the argument off topic by including devices that are irrelevant to the discussion. I don't give a rats ass if the Xbox offers a better gaming experience. I am not about to lug a 360 and a display around with me. Nor am I going to lug around an e-book reader if I don't need to.

And all of your analogies also show that the MBA isn't great at anything either. It is also good at some things but is a half-assed task computer. Why you say?

1. According to you, the disadvantage of a backlit screen is the tiring of your eyes due to the brightness. This means the MBA is not a great e-reader.

2. According to you, the iPad cannot "compute." Ignoring the vagaries of this, the MBA falls to the same claim. Sure you may be able to touch up an FCS project, but you are going to encode on an Air. And with only 2GB of RAM you will hardly be doing much multitasking. So, the MBA is also a half-assed computer.

3. According to you, the iPad is too small to enjoy the IPS display. It isn't a 1" display, it is a 9" display. And one would easily be able to tell the difference between a TN iPad and an IPS iPad. Let's extend the argument to the Air, the Air has a TN panel and is larger than iPad with less pixel density. So where does that leave the MBA in your argument? I suppose it is too large since it emphasizes the inherent inferiority of a TN panel?

4. No, computing does not requires input or creation. Is your MBA not "computing" when you are watching a movie or listening to music? Despite this faulty definition, I have given examples of putting input into an iPad and these possibilities will only increase with time. You have not provided any argument that suggests that input is not possible on the iPad. In addition, if you wanted to draw with any precision with a MBA you are going to have to lug around a Wacom. While on the iPad you could mock up a project and send it over to your main machine to take that idea further.

Sure, the MBA is markedly superior (in terms of specs), but so is a MBP when compared to a MBA. Each device has a purpose, but again, your entire argument rests on someone replacing a Mac with an iPad when no other Mac is present.

5. You still have given no reason for aluminum being more of a problem for the iPad. The MBA is an entertainment device as well. In addition I don't see any connection between being an entertainment device. Is the MBA immune do damage while it is being used as an "entertainment device?"

6. Flash isn't critical for me, nor do I consider it the "real web." This is again, opinion.

So no, only you have offered weak arguments. Namely because they are opinions. None of what I am stating is meant to be an argument, but merely a different way of looking at the situation. The difference between you and me is that you want to put forward an argument but are falling at it, while I am just shutting down your "arguments."

The whole point I am making, and why you're not understanding my reasoning, is that the iPad cannot take over the workload of someone who uses an MBA as their primary/sole Mac.

I explained fully why I showed the whole point of other products vs. the iPad. It wasn't to take away from the MBA or iPad points. It was simply to show that the iPad isn't amazing at anything. Every single feature is beaten out by another device.

The reading comment was explained by e-Ink.

The MBA's RAM is 8X as much as the iPad's RAM. In addition, my MBA can run nearly any OS X platform application every released. I call it super powerful, and the components are so superior on the MBA it's a ridiculous argument to replace an MBA (as a primary computing device) with an iPad.

I didn't say the iPad wasn't enjoyable to watch a video on. I said I would rather watch a movie on my 13.3" LED MBA display than a smaller IPS. The difference is so minor in terms of quality of display, that larger screen real estate easily wins this issue.

Again, my whole point of the MBA is it does all of the real work I have to do to make money for my career. I use an MBA as a primary Mac, and the iPad cannot replace it. If you have a MP, your argument isn't a valid basis anyways. I am talking replacing an MBA as a primary Mac with an iPad and still doing everything needed to do. Most people don't only use their computer for observation unless it's their home computer and they use another computer for work or creation/input by/from the user.

I did give a reason for the aluminum being a problem. It is damaged MUCH EASIER than a plastic material would be - I even described the plastic MB vs. aluminum MB the same size. Apple charges absurd prices like $1000 to repair a damaged computer that was aluminum that probably wouldn't have been damaged if it were plastic. It costs Apple less than $1 for the raw aluminum, and I bet Apple charges $200 to replace it after damaged. If it were plastic, it would probably not break nearly as easily. In addition, this is an entertainment device that doesn't naturally stand up for viewing on a lap, in a bed, and etc. A computer is different because it requires input, than an iPad. I see more people dropping an iPad than a computer by the nature of how we use a computer. The point here is the iPad is meant for PLAY. And play leads to more accidents than work on a computer at a desk or specifically designed for input and hands on usage.

98% of the Internet connected devices use Flash, so it's pretty common. If you don't use it, you're the extremely small minority.

You and I aren't going to agree, so replying any further will be a waste of my time. Go ahead and say what you will. My point wasn't to offend you, it was to state that this debate is more about your feelings towards the iPad from your positions.

Best wishes with your iPad.

Zonz
Apr 11, 2010, 03:07 AM

Dude, he said specifically in his reply he wasn't comparing it to the air. His argument isn't about the air, and his premise isn't that you'd be replacing your air with anything. It's that the Ipad has no advantage over another device out there for a similar purpose. Which I completely agree with.

Anyone who is looking at an Ipad for any reason besides aesthetic value I could give them a different device that would suite them better with more functionality. Which is why if you have an air, why would you replace it with an Ipad? It does the same if not more...

drjsway
Apr 11, 2010, 03:44 AM
Anyone who is looking at an Ipad for any reason besides aesthetic value I could give them a different device that would suite them better with more functionality. Which is why if you have an air, why would you replace it with an Ipad? It does the same if not more...

For some people, the iPad is enough for what they do on a day to day basis. These people initially bought an air because it was the most portable solution at the time (ignoring netbooks, which, IMO, is a horrible experience). Now that something like the iPad is available, there are many reasons they may want to replace their air.

1. The Air is overkill for what they have to do.
2. The iPad is more portable and has much better battery life.
3. They enjoy the UI more.
4. It's simpler to use.
5. There's less troubleshooting.
6. Ability to use in portrait mode.
7. Prefer touch over trackpad.
8. Better screen. Better speaker.
9. All the apps are located in one store. Easier to find. Easier to buy. Easier to use.
10. No possible way to break an app or the OS (you can't accidentally delete an important file, for example).
11. Instant on. No need to open a lid. Can use while standing or walking around.

I can go on and on. If you want a portable device that does more, don't buy the iPad, but you can't say it doesn't have advantages or features the MBA lacks.

Regarding reading, even if I did prefer e-ink, I read a lot of full page PDFs so I need a 9.7" Kindle. For about the same price, I can get an iPad that does a lot more: browse web, run apps, games, videos, photos, etc. Why would I pay the same price for something that only reads black and white?

Zonz
Apr 11, 2010, 05:26 AM
For some people, the iPad is enough for what they do on a day to day basis. These people initially bought an air because it was the most portable solution at the time (ignoring netbooks, which, IMO, is a horrible experience). Now that something like the iPad is available, there are many reasons they may want to replace their air.

4. It's simpler to use.
9. All the apps are located in one store. Easier to find. Easier to buy. Easier to use.
10. No possible way to break an app or the OS (you can't accidentally delete an important file, for example).
11. Instant on. No need to open a lid. Can use while standing or walking around.

I can go on and on. If you want a portable device that does more, don't buy the iPad, but you can't say it doesn't have advantages or features the MBA lacks.

Regarding reading, even if I did prefer e-ink, I read a lot of full page PDFs so I need a 9.7" Kindle. For about the same price, I can get an iPad that does a lot more: browse web, run apps, games, videos, photos, etc. Why would I pay the same price for something that only reads black and white?

I don't know why something having more functionality than what you need would be a reason to replace it.

The battery life is indeed impressive, but there are netbooks out there that match. As well as more portable. (See *) And I don't think that there are many people out their that would complain against the size difference between the air and Ipad as far as portability goes.

This is indeed possible, I'll give you that. It's why I have a mac with Osx.

4. It's simpler to use.

Simpler to use is very arbitrary. And for processes that you'd use an Ipad for, how much more complicated do they really get on any other device?

True (I would probably argue for that point too), but again arbitrary. One person may have many issues with their Ipad and none with their computer based on coincidence. When comparing devices, I like to only include comparisons between fully reliable and functional devices, because assertions like these are very skewed and unreliable.

What? Since when is this something you base a purchase on? "You know this computer is pretty fast and functional, but the Ipad can turn SIDEWAYS!?"

Yes, this is possible. But when you buy an Ipad, certainly you are looking to "use" it for things. You shouldn't go out and buy an Ipad just so you can play with it's touch UI (although I'm sure some do). They only applications in which I actually prefer touch is web browsing and music browsing. But if that's all the functionality you're looking for, then you're really in the market for an Ipod touch or Iphone. But then again, maybe you want those things with a bigger screen? If so, then spend the money on the Ipad. But you'd be buying it based on the aesthetically pleasing bigger screen, which has no real practical advantage for web browsing of music playing.

You can find plenty of netbooks with good screens and good speakers in similar price ranges. (See *)

I'll give you that. The App store is a huge advantage of both Iphones and the Ipad.

Who refuses buy a product on the basis that they could accidentally delete something? Seems rather petty. I'm sure people will find ways to screw up the Ipad too, like accidentally unplugging it while it's syncing. :rolleyes:

Sure, that too. Again, seems rather petty. A lot of you're reasons seem to be based on the Ipad being the god of convenience. Which perhaps is true. But buying something for it's actual function is more important than convenience. I would buy an Ipad over a MBA if it browsed the internet better, played music better, viewed video better, and did basically everything the Ipad is designed to do better than the MBA. The original presumption stands that people who buy Ipads are doing so because of aesthetics. Because it looks pretty or because it's cooler to touch while web browsing instead of using a track-pad. Convenience is important too, I won't deny that. But the MBA has both convenience and functionality which in combination I think out-do the Ipad for it's pure convenience factor.

But I suppose we're working with an equation that is pretty much heavily weighted towards personal opinion. A(Functionality) + B(Convenience) = How Good of a Device, A and B being how much the consumer values those things. I think if you look around though, you can find devices that offer nearly as much convenience, and more functionality, creating a better device for must people. Personally, the air creates a bigger value in the end product than the Ipad in the equation above for me.

* If you use a "decently configured and built" netbook for the same functional purposes that the Ipad can give you (i.e. word processing, internet) then I would not say that they are a horrbile experience by any means. Especially if you're looking in the same price range as an Ipad.

Zonz
Apr 11, 2010, 05:37 AM
*weird double post*

drjsway
Apr 11, 2010, 06:40 AM
Geez, that list wasn't meant to be argued. The point of it is just to accept that some people, maybe not you, see advantages of the iPad over the MBA.

By the way, NO netbook matches the battery (13 hours of movies/web browsing, 10 hours of heavy 3D gaming, and up to 18 hours of reading and 144 hours of music.) Read reviews from ars technica, nytimes, anandtech for battery life info.

NO netbook matches the screen and speakers. Not even close. Speakers are better than MB and MBA, almost as good as MBP.

Portait mode is ideal for for many tasks and the fact that laptops can't do it is HUGE. Many desktop LCDs are capable of portrait mode.

An ipad is more portable because you can hold it in your hand all day long without it being tiring. No need for a bag, you walk around with it like you're holding a notebook.

It doesn't matter if you agree or not. All you need to understand is that some people see advantages, which is why they would replace a MBA with an iPad.

GbV76
Apr 11, 2010, 11:19 AM
If your MBA is your only computer, I wouldn't recommend replacing it with an iPad. If you have another computer though....
I haven't taken my MBA out of its case since I got my iPad. Of course, I'm typing this on my iMac right now. I pretty much only used the MBA for couch surfing, or surfing/email/movies when I'm away (which isn't that often). I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with doing this on the iPad, so I've put my MBA up on Craigslist.
The odd time on the iPad, when I have a bunch of tabs open in Safari (for instance I was researching/comparison shopping cars), I find it frustrating that the iPad will reload the page when switching between tabs. This wouldn't have been the case on the MBA, but that's about my only complaint. I was already reading books on Stanza on my iPhone; iBooks on the iPad is even better. Granted I've never tried a Kindle, but I don't really feel the need for another standalone device.

Huubster
Apr 11, 2010, 01:00 PM
It doesn't matter if you agree or not. All you need to understand is that some people see advantages, which is why they would replace a MBA with an iPad.

The reasoning of people who think MBA can not be be replaced with an iPad is arbitrary. Some arguments may be true, some not, because they depend on an individual point of view. This is also the case with your reasoning. Your reasoning is not based on facts, but just on your personal preferences. Therefore I think its valid to argue about your arguments.

Having said the above, yes of course it is possible for some people to ditch their MBA for an iPad. That can't be argued about.

Scottsdale
Apr 11, 2010, 01:23 PM
If your MBA is your only computer, I wouldn't recommend replacing it with an iPad. If you have another computer though....
I haven't taken my MBA out of its case since I got my iPad. Of course, I'm typing this on my iMac right now. I pretty much only used the MBA for couch surfing, or surfing/email/movies when I'm away (which isn't that often). I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with doing this on the iPad, so I've put my MBA up on Craigslist.
The odd time on the iPad, when I have a bunch of tabs open in Safari (for instance I was researching/comparison shopping cars), I find it frustrating that the iPad will reload the page when switching between tabs. This wouldn't have been the case on the MBA, but that's about my only complaint. I was already reading books on Stanza on my iPhone; iBooks on the iPad is even better. Granted I've never tried a Kindle, but I don't really feel the need for another standalone device.

That's the basis for my whole argument on MBA vs. iPad, but I also have a secondary argument that the iPad isn't great at anything.

I agree that one with an iMac or Mac Pro or even a PC might be able to get away with their iPad on the go, but it cannot do an entire workload of someone. However, I also made the argument that I see the iPad beating out the MB in the long run. The MB's market is PARTLY to the home user who works for a company during the day with a PC or whatever computer. When they get home all they really want to do is some light web surfing, check email, and maybe catch a movie or replay Lost on ABC's app. For the user that only needs observation display and not real computing like the MBA offers, the iPad might be fine.

In my opinion, the iPad has a beautiful display, case, and battery life is great... but the positives end right there! Beyond that it doesn't do anything great. And anyone that NEEDS to create on a computer will be using a Mac for a long time to come. End of story/argument/etc.

duky
Apr 11, 2010, 01:58 PM
I use my MBA as my primary machine right now after selling my iMac but it will soon become my secondary. I also have an iPad on order that is coming soon. I intend to keep my MBA and iPad an use whichever one makes more sense for whichever scenario I am in. I fit into no specific user category (i.e. light vs. gamer vs. pro vs. couch surfer etc) so i'd prefer to have all my bases covered and be able to pick and choose whenever I want. For this reason I am choosing to have a primary desktop, MBA, iPad and iPhone. I suspect for many people this will seem like overkill but different people see these things differently. I'm open to change as well, so if I see that my use for the MBA truly disappears then I may end up selling it, but I don't see that happening anytime soon, not because of this first-gen iPad at least.

gwsat
Apr 11, 2010, 04:32 PM
You make a good point. In fact, you are giving me second thoughts about whether an iPad might suit me after all. At first, I thought it wouldn't but your post is making me think that an iPad might be what I need, after all. My 17 inch MBP is and will remain my primary computer. What I need most is a snatch and grab device to check simple stuff on the Web when I don't want to have to pick up and open the MBP or am away from it. Like you, I am not often on the road.

I like the MBA a lot but wouldn't want one unless a new version with more RAM were offered. The key to this, though, is that my MBP would remain my primary machine, even if (1) the MBA's ram was upped and (2) I bought one. Now, though the iPad's much cheaper price has got my attention.

I think that Scottsdale's criticisms of the iPad have been on the money but am coming around to the view that the iPad's compromises and weaknesses might not hurt me much, after all. I'm thinking, I'm thinking. :)

drjsway
Apr 11, 2010, 05:12 PM
The reasoning of people who think MBA can not be be replaced with an iPad is arbitrary. Some arguments may be true, some not, because they depend on an individual point of view. This is also the case with your reasoning. Your reasoning is not based on facts, but just on your personal preferences. Therefore I think its valid to argue about your arguments.

Having said the above, yes of course it is possible for some people to ditch their MBA for an iPad. That can't be argued about.

Zonz said the MBA does everything the iPad does and more so there is no reason to replace it. My point is that SOME people have reasons and I made a list of what those reasons may be. Whether he agrees or not with those reasons is irrevelent.

I'm not a bag kind of guy. For the last two years, I held my MBA in my hand when I go out. 1.5 pounds is a big difference in your hand than 3 pounds. The ideal weight would be that of an actual notebook.

A big part of portability is battery life. A long battery life means you are free to use it anywhere, anytime, with no fear you will ever run out.

That, combined with a touch UI that beats the pants off using a trackpad and the ability to use portrait mode makes it such a joy to use. Is the iPad less functional than a MBA? Yes but it's so much more enjoyable to use.

The killer app is actually... Web browsing. Web browsing on the iPad is much better than any laptop, any desktop. It feels as if the web is built for touch. But go enjoy your flash that make the MBA's fan sound like a vacuum, your CPU overheat, and kills the battery in less than two hours. The only way flash will go away is if you stop using it.

Santabean2000
Apr 11, 2010, 05:20 PM

Why did you buy one?

drjsway
Apr 11, 2010, 05:47 PM
Here is why portrait mode is great.

MacBook Air:
http://files.me.com/davidren/xwvsjn

iPad:
http://files.me.com/davidren/zaxyu5

Notice I get more of the article on a single page on the iPad and what do I lose? Two flash ads and other usless crap on the right side.

bmstrong
Apr 11, 2010, 07:27 PM
That's the basis for my whole argument on MBA vs. iPad, but I also have a secondary argument that the iPad isn't great at anything.

I agree that one with an iMac or Mac Pro or even a PC might be able to get away with their iPad on the go, but it cannot do an entire workload of someone. However, I also made the argument that I see the iPad beating out the MB in the long run. The MB's market is PARTLY to the home user who works for a company during the day with a PC or whatever computer. When they get home all they really want to do is some light web surfing, check email, and maybe catch a movie or replay Lost on ABC's app. For the user that only needs observation display and not real computing like the MBA offers, the iPad might be fine.

In my opinion, the iPad has a beautiful display, case, and battery life is great... but the positives end right there! Beyond that it doesn't do anything great. And anyone that NEEDS to create on a computer will be using a Mac for a long time to come. End of story/argument/etc.

I come to this forum almost exclusively to read your posts. Your fanatic Air posts tend to drive people into frenzied counter attacks. From my outside view it looks like some giant Mac cold war, Air on one side, everything else on the other. Very enjoyable though!

I really don't have anything to add to the debate. I still haven't bought a computer. Both the Air and the iPad, IMHO, both have to many trade offs for the amount of money. I just continue to peck away on my N1 until that one true device hits. I think what we need is an Airpad or an iAir before we all can agree.

three
Apr 11, 2010, 08:33 PM
I have the Revision A MacBook Air and I am thinking about picking up the iPad to replace my MacBook Air. My MacBook Air is plagued with problems such as fan issues (anything shoots the fan up to 6200 RPM), the battery desperately needs replacing, and a couple more problems. I can't use my MacBook Air without having the annoyance of the 6200 RPM fan. With the iPad I won't have to worry about the fan or the battery life.

gwsat
Apr 11, 2010, 08:44 PM

I come to this forum almost exclusively to read your posts. Your fanatic Air posts tend to drive people into frenzied counter attacks. From my outside view it looks like some giant Mac cold war, Air on one side, everything else on the other. Very enjoyable though!
I agree that Scottsdale's posts have been very informative. I have learned a lot from him. Although I am very happy with my 17 inch MBP as my every day machine, I had at first thought that the MBA was what I wanted as an adjunct for it. I was turned off by its lack of a real keyboard and Flash support. Then, it occurred to me that, because I don't intend to give up the MBP as my go to machine, all I need is a device that provides easy Web access in a light, easily portable form. Now, I believe the iPad might be just what I need. The only negative I see, even for the limited uses to which I would put an iPad, is its inability to load Flash encoded pages. That's still a concern.

EDIT: Because of my increasing interest in the iPad, I took a look at some of the iPad threads at Apple.com (http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa?categoryID=1). What I learned was not reassuring. The worst new iPad limitation I learned about was that, despite its built in wifi connectivity it can't print to a printer on your own network. Say what? I am now beginning to wonder if my first impression that the iPad was not for me wasn't the right one.

drjsway
Apr 11, 2010, 09:54 PM
EDIT: Because of my increasing interest in the iPad, I took a look at some of the iPad threads at Apple.com (http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa?categoryID=1). What I learned was not reassuring. The worst new iPad limitation I learned about was that, despite its built in wifi connectivity it can't print to a printer on your own network. Say what? I am now beginning to wonder if my first impression that the iPad was not for me wasn't the right one.

I agree that that's a big limitation, one that will hopefully be fixed in 4.0. In the meantime, there are apps that will let you print wirelessly.

Scottsdale
Apr 11, 2010, 10:27 PM
I have the Revision A MacBook Air and I am thinking about picking up the iPad to replace my MacBook Air. My MacBook Air is plagued with problems such as fan issues (anything shoots the fan up to 6200 RPM), the battery desperately needs replacing, and a couple more problems. I can't use my MacBook Air without having the annoyance of the 6200 RPM fan. With the iPad I won't have to worry about the fan or the battery life.

Might I ask if you bought the MBA for $999 to $1299?

I have a theory that those who bought the original MBA on clearance are the ones that will switch to the iPad, because they're not the original intended market of the MBA.

The MBA targeted buyer will only be happy with an MBA. The MBA buyers who bought it because Apple dumped them, will drop the MBA because they're looking for a low cost secondary solution or the coolness of portability possibly because they have an iMac or other desktop solution.

I believe the MB targeted buyer is more likely to leave for the iPad than the MBA targeted buyer. It all comes down to the MBA being a premium device intended for primary computing for the business user willing to pay more for portability but still need a REAL computer.

I suspect the MB will lose the highest percentage of its targeted buyers to the iPad. Obviously Apple knows this well, and has its plan to sell more iPads and sell secondary services that makes up the difference and then some. The educational user isn't going anywhere. Neither are the users that need a real computer to do more than just email, web browsing, and a video here or there. The MB buyer that buys them just for those observation tasks will leave the MB for an iPad in a heartbeat. The MBA buyer needs the MBA for real computing work.

moonlit28
Apr 12, 2010, 12:18 AM

Agree.....:o

lbjsong
Apr 12, 2010, 12:32 AM
Might I ask if you bought the MBA for $999 to $1299?

I have a theory that those who bought the original MBA on clearance are the ones that will switch to the iPad, because they're not the original intended market of the MBA.

The MBA targeted buyer will only be happy with an MBA. The MBA buyers who bought it because Apple dumped them, will drop the MBA because they're looking for a low cost secondary solution or the coolness of portability possibly because they have an iMac or other desktop solution.

I believe the MB targeted buyer is more likely to leave for the iPad than the MBA targeted buyer. It all comes down to the MBA being a premium device intended for primary computing for the business user willing to pay more for portability but still need a REAL computer.

I suspect the MB will lose the highest percentage of its targeted buyers to the iPad. Obviously Apple knows this well, and has its plan to sell more iPads and sell secondary services that makes up the difference and then some. The educational user isn't going anywhere. Neither are the users that need a real computer to do more than just email, web browsing, and a video here or there. The MB buyer that buys them just for those observation tasks will leave the MB for an iPad in a heartbeat. The MBA buyer needs the MBA for real computing work.

That's me sir, I am looking forward to buy MBA SSD version when refurb price hit the bottom with refresh..

drjsway
Apr 12, 2010, 03:52 AM
Agree.....:o

Do you agree with this video?

http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20100407224243

drummerlondonw3
Apr 12, 2010, 04:04 AM

+2 my son and I.

What on earth is the big deal for this half baked toy?
I passed on this purchase with ease, and no remorse.

Very well said.

iPad isn't for me, why carry an extra device that does everything half ass'd at best.

I think you are all missing the point. For many of us the Air is a secondary or tertiary computer and it is not about the choice between losing the full OSX experience but replacing what is a small fraction f what we do with another device.

I write on my Air, period. I work a lot in urban design and use many design packages and I don't even have the programmes loaded on my Air. Could I replace this functionality with an iPad? Maybe. I will have to test further when they arrive in the UK.

This does not make my use half ass'd but is a debate about whether certain types of use are appropriate to the iPad I love my air dont get me wrong but the most portable of the macbook range having the worst battery life is irksome to say the least.

The Ipad is lightweight and has a great battery. Might be what I need for when I am out researching and simply need a good way to read multiple PDFs and basic word processing. I have a sony prs-505 before the "you don't know how good kindle etc really is", so yes I do know how good e-ink is.

D

stewie1
Apr 12, 2010, 07:15 AM
I went to the Apple store this weekend and played with an iPad for a good 10 minutes. Very nice and very fast. But here was the dealbreaker for me: Safari had about 4 tabs open (granted, they were large pages), and yet couldn't retain the pages in memory. Every time I switched tabs, the entire page had to be reloaded. Sounds like it's not very important, but try to do some power-reading on a machine that makes you pause for a few seconds every time you switch pages. Useless. with some extra RAM I might have walked away with an iPad, but I easily decided that wasn't something I could live with.

wescravn
Apr 12, 2010, 07:34 AM
For those saying they can't use their ipad for writing, just pair it with a apple wireless keyboard (duh:rolleyes:) and it is like writing on a laptop. It makes it simple for stuff like pages, etc. WHY DO YOU NEED A LAPTOP? let me know.

gwsat
Apr 12, 2010, 07:39 AM
I agree that that's a big limitation, one that will hopefully be fixed in 4.0. In the meantime, there are apps that will let you print wirelessly.
one poster at Apple.com indicated that there was an app that would allow the iPad to print to a network printer. If so, that would seem to solve the problem.

I wish I had some idea about how limiting the iPad's lack of Flash support is. Some say that the failure cripples the iPad while others claim it's no big deal. Unfortunately, I have no way to know who is closer to right. Is there anyway around the Flash problem or are Web pages that require simply inaccessible to the iPad?

Isn't version 4.0 of the new OS supposed to be released in June?

The MBA is looking better and better. :) Maybe a refresh will be announced tomorrow but I doubt it, somehow.

gwsat
Apr 12, 2010, 08:18 AM
For those saying they can't use their ipad for writing, just pair it with a apple wireless keyboard (duh:rolleyes:) and it is like writing on a laptop. It makes it simple for stuff like pages, etc. WHY DO YOU NEED A LAPTOP? let me know.
I think that the iPad has a lot of merit but it seems to me that coupling an Apple wireless keyboard with an iPad creates a Rube Goldberg invention that would be vastly inferior to a one piece laptop. In order to use a separate keyboard with an iPad, you would either have to place the iPad on a flat surface, which would create a bad viewing angle, or use a dock, which would mean you would be using three pieces. In stark contrast, a laptop is one piece and its display can be adjusted to an optimum viewing angle.

Don't get me wrong. I am still considering buying an iPad. Nevertheless, I have to accept that it is severely limited, at least compared to a laptop, when intensive keyboard input is required.

drummerlondonw3
Apr 12, 2010, 08:25 AM
I wish I had some idea about how limiting the iPad's lack of Flash support is..

honestly I use my iphone for the internet for many hours a day and I have yet to come across something that could not be completed due to a lack of flash.

No I'm not saying that its perfect but many of the popular sites have mobile versions and the ones that dont are mainly for streaming video.

I accept tht I cannot do this and dont see this as limiting the function of the internet but rather an aspect of it.

My fiancee now uses her iphone for everything internet-wise from online shopping to finding our wedding reception and she has no use for a regular computer at all. I've never heard her ask me why a site wasn't working.

Its not perfect and it is annoying. BUT niether of these things stop me from fully using my iphone sans flash.

In the UK I mainly use bbc iplayer which has a non-flash site and expect the same thing when I get my iPad so streaming for me is actually taken care of.

Hope this helps

D

gwsat
Apr 12, 2010, 08:35 AM
honestly I use my iphone for the internet for many hours a day and I have yet to come across something that could not be completed due to a lack of flash.

No I'm not saying that its perfect but many of the popular sites have mobile versions and the ones that dont are mainly for streaming video.
Thanks for your feedback, it was reassuring. Despite being a longtime Apple nerd, I don't have an iPhone. It is unlikely that I would watch much video on an iPad because I don't watch much video on my MBA, my every day computer. The iPad still intrigues me and I may buy one yet. Both the Apple Store and Best Buy carry them in OKC but I don't know yet whether they still have some in stock. In any event, tomorrow is Tuesday, so we have yet to find out whether Apple will, at long last, update its laptop lineup.

Balty
Apr 12, 2010, 08:41 AM
Wow. I suggest you people read some of these articles. They sum up the iPad quite nicely. Mind you, these were written before the iPhone OS 4 announcement.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/01/31/ten-myth-of-apples-ipad-1-its-just-a-big-ipod-touch/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/01/ten-myth-of-apple’s-ipad-2-ipad-needs-adobe-flash/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/01/ten-myths-of-apples-ipad-3-its-ad-evil/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/03/ten-myths-of-apples-ipad-4-it-was-over-hyped-and-under-delivered/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/04/ten-myths-of-apples-ipad-5-its-just-a-tablet-pc-or-kindle/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/08/ten-myths-of-apple’s-ipad-6-it-needs-hdmi-for-hd-video-output/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/09/ten-myths-of-apple’s-ipad-7-it-needs-cameras/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/11/ten-myths-of-apple’s-ipad-8-its-a-curse-for-mobile-developers/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/17/ten-myths-of-apple’s-ipad-9-it-cant-multitask/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/26/ten-myths-of-apple’s-ipad-10-it-needs-mac-os-x/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/20/an-adobe-flash-developer-on-why-the-ipad-cant-use-flash/

http://daringfireball.net/2010/02/flash_saga
http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/the_ipad
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/01/29/porno-flash

Goodnight. :)

gwsat
Apr 12, 2010, 09:30 AM
Wow. I suggest you people read some of these articles. They sum up the iPad quite nicely. Mind you, these were written before the iPhone OS 4 announcement.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/01/31/ten-myth-of-apples-ipad-1-its-just-a-big-ipod-touch/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/01/ten-myth-of-apple’s-ipad-2-ipad-needs-adobe-flash/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/01/ten-myths-of-apples-ipad-3-its-ad-evil/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/03/ten-myths-of-apples-ipad-4-it-was-over-hyped-and-under-delivered/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/04/ten-myths-of-apples-ipad-5-its-just-a-tablet-pc-or-kindle/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/08/ten-myths-of-apple’s-ipad-6-it-needs-hdmi-for-hd-video-output/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/09/ten-myths-of-apple’s-ipad-7-it-needs-cameras/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/11/ten-myths-of-apple’s-ipad-8-its-a-curse-for-mobile-developers/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/17/ten-myths-of-apple’s-ipad-9-it-cant-multitask/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/26/ten-myths-of-apple’s-ipad-10-it-needs-mac-os-x/
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/20/an-adobe-flash-developer-on-why-the-ipad-cant-use-flash/

http://daringfireball.net/2010/02/flash_saga
http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/the_ipad
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/01/29/porno-flash

Goodnight. :)
I have read many iPad reviews. Like reviews everywhere, their credibility varies. I had never heard of either of the sites upon which the articles to which you linked were published. Further, all of them were published some time before actual shipping iPads were in the hands of actual buyers. I have found, over the course of many years of buying computers, peripherals, and other electronic devices, that I prefer feedback from actual users who are able to address my specific questions. Thus, I hope that you were not being judgmentally critical of my questions about the actual shipping iPad and the responses of other posters to them.

tigres
Apr 12, 2010, 09:32 AM
The MBA is a computer, running OSX with zero working limitations. Not to harp on battery life; or the lack of Ram. Blah Blah Blah...

I use my MBA as my primary machine; office, road, home. I own many iMacs at my office, 2 MB's at home etc, but the MBA is my goto in all cases.

I utilize everything to work, mail, office, VMware, iDisk, SMB, terminal, maintaing my SBS server... etc.

How on earth can an iPad replace my working machine as this tread is intending? Simple, it cannot; and I find it absurd to even entertain the idea.

It can surf the net- Great, so can my MBA/ and iPhone
It can play movies- So can my MBA/ and iPhone
It can do SOME iwork- and crippled iWork at that, look up the reviews of getting any document to another machine- iTunes only, and destroyed by the time it is transferred to or from.

Simply put I am dumbfounded how an iPad can replace a MBA? This is simply nonsense; and not even plausible.

There is absolutely nothing this iPad can do at all to replace my machine I use daily. It is intended to be an in-between filler of a iPhone/Computer, but I see it as a glorified toy.

If you do nothing but play games, surf the net, and check some email (without saving attachments of course- read only), then enjoy it.

This machine has ZERO productivity possibilities other than seeing the content, not working with content. If you need to work at all, your going to your computer.

So, anyone replacing an MBA/MB/iMac/MBP, with an iPad, did not use the computer for it's intended purposes to begin with. Moreover; they bought more of a machine then they ever needed in the first place.

Dagless
Apr 12, 2010, 09:42 AM
Simply put I am dumbfounded how an iPad can replace a MBA? This is simply nonsense; and not even plausible.

Hole in one.
I put it down to excitement over a new toy/gadget. Lord knows we all go through that at some point. I did this a couple of years ago when I bought a Macbook. I stopped using my desktop (even though it was more powerful etc). But once the novelty wore off I went back to my desktop as my main machine. It's just what gadgeteers do.
Personally I could never replace a fully functional computer with a toy.

gwsat
Apr 12, 2010, 09:57 AM
Hole in one.
I put it down to excitement over a new toy/gadget. Lord knows we all go through that at some point. I did this a couple of years ago when I bought a Macbook. I stopped using my desktop (even though it was more powerful etc). But once the novelty wore off I went back to my desktop as my main machine. It's just what gadgeteers do.
Personally I could never replace a fully functional computer with a toy.
I agree, the iPad apologists who insist that the iPad is the functional equivalent of a real laptop computer are in denial. The iPad, despite its many, many impressive features, has too many shortcomings to be compared with the MBA. That said, I may still buy an iPad, depending on what Apple does about upgrading the MBA.

netdog
Apr 12, 2010, 09:59 AM
I have both.

If you do a lot of writing and content creation, the iPad won't cut it.

drummerlondonw3
Apr 12, 2010, 10:06 AM
This machine has ZERO productivity possibilities other than seeing the content, not working with content. If you need to work at all, your going to your computer.

So, anyone replacing an MBA/MB/iMac/MBP, with an iPad, did not use the computer for it's intended purposes to begin with. Moreover; they bought more of a machine then they ever needed in the first place.

I dont think this is true at all. How can you say it has zero possibilities? Hell I write many things on the train on my iphone which are then later expanded on for articles to publish. This isnt what its meant for but it doesnt mean that it has no use for it.

I agree that replacing your SOLE computer is silly and technically impossible but to say that it is useless is very short-sighted.

The iPad is a watershed consumption device. Thats the main reason I have wanted one and will get one. Does that mean I couldnt use it for some basic writing and work when I am from my 2 MBPs or MBA? No. Its a companion device. I certainly wont be trying to do anything crazy on it but for basic tasks it may well yet replace my Air for working on the move.

Personally the next revision of the Air os key to me. If it cannot match the battery life of the current MBPs then I will not be buying any Rev of this.

tigres
Apr 12, 2010, 10:51 AM
I dont think this is true at all. How can you say it has zero possibilities? Hell I write many things on the train on my iphone which are then later expanded on for articles to publish. This isnt what its meant for but it doesnt mean that it has no use for it.

I agree that replacing your SOLE computer is silly and technically impossible but to say that it is useless is very short-sighted.

In it's current form, I find it to have extremely limited capabilities- and none even close approaching a MBA/(computer).

If I may ask, how do you intend to work a single file for instance? I.E. edit it, save it, and upload/transfer/email it/ or whatever. Can the iPad do this at all??? Can you type a document from scratch, save it as .doc/.rtf, email it, and be done? (I ask of .doc/.rtf/PDF, as few of my clients can open different formats).

IMO, the above is the simplest productive task I can think of.

I am just curious, as I have not bought obviously, just read about (at length) and played at the store; so the above question is not meant to be condescending.

iSee
Apr 12, 2010, 10:58 AM

As an avid book reader myself, I can say from first hand experience the iPad blows the Kindle device out of the water. Yes, it is a GREAT book reader.

Much better display, better controls, page-turning that isn't annoying, nicer physical device. The Kindle device has its good points (much better for reading out doors, cheaper, whisper-net) but overall it is a much more limited device.

Gaelic2
Apr 12, 2010, 11:16 AM
I have an iMac 24" desktop that does most of my computing. I use my MBA as an adjunct when I travel. Had there been an iPad when I bought my MBA, I would probably have opted for the iPad. I do like to load my photos into iPhoto, edit them and pass them along in my e-mails while away but I am sure there is, or will be a way around all that. I will hang on to my MBA for another year and see how the new iterations are with the iPad before buying. I don't want to be the first on the block to buy an iPad, only to find the price dropped with a better system running ala iPhone 1st Generation.

calderone
Apr 12, 2010, 11:26 AM
*snip* Blah Blah Blah, explaining how I depend on my Air *snip*

How on earth can an iPad replace my working machine as this tread is intending? Simple, it cannot; and I find it absurd to even entertain the idea.

Look at the difference here. "Your working machine." This thread isn't telling you to replace your working machine, nor is it saying you most. And it is definitely not saying anyone should! You clearly did not read the thread.

It can surf the net- Great, so can my MBA/ and iPhone
It can play movies- So can my MBA/ and iPhone
It can do SOME iwork- and crippled iWork at that, look up the reviews of getting any document to another machine- iTunes only, and destroyed by the time it is transferred to or from.

Simply put I am dumbfounded how an iPad can replace a MBA? This is simply nonsense; and not even plausible for my particular situation.

Fixed that for you.

There is absolutely nothing this iPad can do at all to replace my machine I use daily. It is intended to be an in-between filler of a iPhone/Computer, but I see it as a glorified toy.

Did anyone say it had to? What is with this inability to understand someone else's perspective? I can understand that some may not be able to replace an Air with an iPad, it makes sense. Why? Because chances are they use it more than I do. Easy right? But if I say, I am going to replace my Air with an iPad your brain explodes and you seem to be incapable of understanding.

If you do nothing but play games, surf the net, and check some email (without saving attachments of course- read only), then enjoy it.

This is what I do with my Air more or less. My Air is rarely used for work, rarely. This could change in the future, but at this moment I simply don't need the Air and it is being wasted. It makes more sense to sell it off and put the money into an investment, rather than keep it.

Well that isn't really true now is it? But, whatever helps your pointless rant. And guess what, I have a computer, that I do most of my work on. *Hint* It isn't the Air*

What is the point of stating this? That is exactly the reason some are replacing their computers with an iPad. Is that a problem? Is it wrong for them to be aware of what they need? Is it wrong for them to change their opinion of what they need based on a new product?

Hell yeah the Air was more than I needed in the first place, but it was the only option at the time (ignoring netbooks) if I wanted a portable product.

You toss this B.S. around as if it means I am not in the same "club," or as if I don't do any work on my computers. Get off your high horse and quite making assumptions. Can't replace your Air? Great, this thread isn't for you, head back over to the circle jerk threads with Scotsdale.

tigres
Apr 12, 2010, 11:39 AM
Look at the difference here. "Your working machine." This thread isn't telling you to replace your working machine, nor is it saying you most. And it is definitely not saying anyone should! You clearly did not read the thread.

What is the title of this thread... Oh yes, I can read and understand it's meaning.

"Ditching your laptop (MBA) for an iPad."

Does not get any simpler than digesting the meaning of this thread on what the OP had in mind.

I'll ignore the rest of your sarcasm.

kthx.

calderone
Apr 12, 2010, 11:45 AM
What is the title of this thread... Oh yes, I can read and understand it's meaning.

"Ditching your laptop (MBA) for an iPad."

Does not get any simpler than digesting the meaning of this thread on what the OP had in mind.

I'll ignore the rest of your sarcasm.

kthx.

Reading is funadamental. I know it is tough to get past the title before you embark on your meaningless rant.

"Any MBA owners here who bought iPads and feel the same way?"

I don't think the OP has in mind: "Come bash people who can replace their Air with an iPad, and do so even if you didn't buy one."

Even so, quoting the title does not change in any way change the force of what I stated.

This thread is *not* telling you to do a damn thing. Nor did anyone in the thread tell you to do anything. The title does not change this nor does the title give the "intention" of the thread as telling you to replace your Air, which is what you clearly stated.

And how does reading the title the same thing as reading the thread?

Want to try again?

RaZaK
Apr 12, 2010, 12:16 PM
There's a lot of people over in the iPad section saying since they received their iPad they haven't touched their laptops.

Some have even sold their MBP's already because they're so blown away with their iPads.

blown away by the iPad? these people need some counseling.

If they seriously sold an MBP for an iPad, they didn't need an MBP in the first place. Glad they were able to recoup a portion of their wasted investment.

People who fully utilize their MBP's (and even MB's for that matter) will not be blown away by the iPad. :rolleyes:

Yes, I've seen it in action, and no, i'm not hating on the new product. I would just prefer for my iPod Touch to fit in my pocket. :D

RaZaK
Apr 12, 2010, 12:21 PM
Hell yeah the Air was more than I needed in the first place, but it was the only option at the time (ignoring netbooks) if I wanted a portable product.

The MB wasn't portable enough that you had to spend an extra $500 for the "thinness" of the Air? :eek:

RaZaK
Apr 12, 2010, 12:23 PM
I have an iMac 24" desktop that does most of my computing. I use my MBA as an adjunct when I travel. Had there been an iPad when I bought my MBA, I would probably have opted for the iPad. I do like to load my photos into iPhoto, edit them and pass them along in my e-mails while away but I am sure there is, or will be a way around all that. I will hang on to my MBA for another year and see how the new iterations are with the iPad before buying. I don't want to be the first on the block to buy an iPad, only to find the price dropped with a better system running ala iPhone 1st Generation.

Seeing how the iPad is just a giant iPod Touch, it's release cycle should be the same amount of time as the rest of the iPod family.

So, you'll have an opportunity to be the coolest kid on the block with the newest tech for at least a year. :p

gwsat
Apr 12, 2010, 12:32 PM
As an avid book reader myself, I can say from first hand experience the iPad blows the Kindle device out of the water. Yes, it is a GREAT book reader.

Much better display, better controls, page-turning that isn't annoying, nicer physical device. The Kindle device has its good points (much better for reading out doors, cheaper, whisper-net) but overall it is a much more limited device.
I agree, the iPad's capabilities are far superior to those of the Kindle reader and the 16Gb iPad costs only $10 more than the comparably sized 9.7 inch Kindle reader. When one cranks the smaller 6 inch Kindle into the equation, though, the choice is tougher because, at $259 delivered, the 6 inch version goes for only about half of what a 16Gb iPad costs.

calderone
Apr 12, 2010, 12:35 PM
The MB wasn't portable enough that you had to spend an extra $500 for the "thinness" of the Air? :eek:

I liked the form factor of the Air more. Is there a problem with that?

drjsway
Apr 12, 2010, 01:50 PM

The Air is much more portable than a MB. There is no debate here. I can use my wife's MB for no more than 10 minutes before I want to chuck it against a wall. So big and clunky.

The iPad much more portable than a MBA. Leo Laporte said yesterday on TWIT that he believes the iPad will replace consumer computers and the mac platform will exclusively be used by professionals (graphic designers, software developers, and video editors).

Nilay Patel (or that other guy from Engadget, I don't remember) says the Kindle is dead. For the money, he doesn't see why anyone would choose a Kindle over an iPad that does much more. He also said he read a whole book on a flight and thinks the experience is much better, e-ink is overrated, and that he doesn't get eye strain. He also said he wouldn't buy a Nook for ANY amount of money.

I don't agree or disagree. Just stating what tech personalities in the media are saying.

And yes, you can start a document from stratch and e-mail it on the iPad.

drjsway
Apr 12, 2010, 02:04 PM

The wireless keyboard is completely unnecessary. Check the ipad forums. People are getting 80WPM with the on-screen keyboard. I am writing my new screenplay on the iPad (if the Final Draft app comes out in time). I am a professional writer with deadlines so I wouldn't even consider it if I thought it would slow me down.

Scottsdale
Apr 12, 2010, 02:25 PM

Well, I went from Kindle to Nook, and the Nook is incredible.

The page turning isn't a good point... it doesn't add anything to the user's ability to READ! For color picture books, the iPad is better... but I don't read a lot of color picture books unless to my kids. That's why my iPad is going to my daughter, LOL.

In truth, I plan to replace it with a 3G iPad for myself. I am disappointed with the iPad, but that doesn't mean I am not going to use it. And it is true that one device that does everything half-assed is still better than five devices that does everything great. I have realized that is the iPad's advantage. It may do those things half-assed, but it does them without carrying multiple other devices.

Imperil
Apr 12, 2010, 03:24 PM
I might actually sell the Air I bought about 5 weeks ago once I get my iPad and try it out. I'm pretty sure it will be able to replace the Air because anything it can't do I'll use Wormhole Remote on the iPad to run everything on my Mac Pro.

Scottsdale
Apr 12, 2010, 04:30 PM
I might actually sell the Air I bought about 5 weeks ago once I get my iPad and try it out. I'm pretty sure it will be able to replace the Air because anything it can't do I'll use Wormhole Remote on the iPad to run everything on my Mac Pro.

Good idea. Someone pointed out this capability to me which I didn't realize. As I have always said, the Apps are what drive demand and capabilities for products with the iPhone OS.

As long as people have another Mac, I guess the iPad can replace SOME of the features needed while portable. However, no iPad is going to replace an MBA for those who use the MBA as their primary Mac. The iPad is still about observation and not creation... and the MBA shines in both uses.

AppliedMicro
Apr 12, 2010, 04:35 PM
I am not an iPad fan. I didn't even want to like it, despising the talk how (supposedly) "revolutionary" the thing is.
Yet I am currently contemplating about ditching my MacBook Air for an iPad.
First, let me give you an idea about what gadgets I have and what it might replace:

- I absolutely love my MacBook Air. It's by far the best computer I have ever owned. I take it with me almost when- and wherever I can. I do heavy web browsing, a little content creation (web design, writing papers). It serves to keep my photo and music collection around.
- I have an iPhone, which I don't use for much else than making calls. Even though I don't really like the phone part of it. My 8 year "dumb" cell phone has way better call quality. Basically, it's a small internet machine as a "backup" for when I don't have my Air around.
- I try to live paperless, scanning all loose paperwork into OCR'ed PDFs (searchable) with my Fujitsu Scansnap. This includes some 100+ page lecture notes and textbooks.
- I have a dedicated eBook reader (Sony PRS-505) which I absolutely love for reading novels and the like.

My first thoughts on the iPad were:
"It's just a bigger iPhone. Especially to me… the iPad's a 'tweener' gadget that I don't need, do I?
It's bigger than my iPhone, so it's not as portable, right?
Reading longer texts on backlit screens is more tiring than on e-Ink, so it's worse for reading than my Sony Reader, right?
It's not as good for typing and file managing as my MacBook is, right?"

The iPad's advantage is it does everything half-assed! That's the truth.
That's your opinion - yet not necessarily a universal "truth".

I will probably go back to university in the fall.
And this is where I believe the iPad might replace my current MacBook Air.
I mean… what would I need it for?

- portability: it weighs less than the Air, has longer battery life, I don't have to take the power adapter with me.
- taking short notes during lectures and in classes: a tie between the two? I don't think one is really better than the other. The mechanical keyboard on the Air is of course better. But then, I suppose navigation with the mouse / cursor position will be slightly more tedious. I don't intend to type longer texts or entire paper on the iPad. But even if I did, I would just carry my BT keyboard with me. The formatting need not be done on the iPad. I am a believer in the Scrivener way of writing (an app that I am going to purchase with the next major release).
- making simple sketches and diagrams: Possible, though not great to do on a small trackpad. A good drawing app could simply rock with multitouch input, and allow me to get stuff done faster.
- web browsing: You get multitouch scrolling, you can click on links with your fingertip, I can get a vertical 1024 pixels, whereas my MacBook doesn't have a pivot mode. Advantage iPad!
- reading eBooks: Mind you, I plan to scan almost everything I need, to keep it in PDF / eBook format. Lecture notes, even books - almost anything printed where I can cut the binding off. And this is where I think the iPad might just shine. I can simply turn the screen by 90 degrees whereas I don't have a pivot mode on the Air. And while my Sony Reader is great at displaying continuous text, diagrams, current ebook devices just don't cut it for fixed-width content, diagrams, graphs and charts. They should render so much better and larger on an iPad.
- I can still drop a quick mail, make a Skype call (which I need for international calls), listen to music on the iPad...

Yes, the iPad will probably have a few shortcomings (printing? syncing files?).
But I suppose it could be so much better for the things I need a portable to do.
I am eager to find out on wednesday (as you will have guessed from my English by now, I don't live in the states. So I have not had a chance to play around with it yet)

I watch movies in my bed and on the occasional train ride. The MacBook Air is no less annoying to position, as you have to make sure nothing interferes with the ventilation slots. Also, don't talk about the fan noises and heat the thing develops when it's not standing on a flat surface. And don't get started on the screen. I have had the screen replaced once due to a broken hinge. It's not the best idea to place the Air on one's lap (as a "laptop").

drummerlondonw3
Apr 12, 2010, 04:42 PM
In it's current form, I find it to have extremely limited capabilities- and none even close approaching a MBA/(computer).

If I may ask, how do you intend to work a single file for instance? I.E. edit it, save it, and upload/transfer/email it/ or whatever. Can the iPad do this at all??? Can you type a document from scratch, save it as .doc/.rtf, email it, and be done? (I ask of .doc/.rtf/PDF, as few of my clients can open different formats).

IMO, the above is the simplest productive task I can think of.

I am just curious, as I have not bought obviously, just read about (at length) and played at the store; so the above question is not meant to be condescending.

well thanks first for having a decent debate rather than a flame.

I think it comes down to expectations. I use my air as a second computer. I have a MBP as my main computer and another running as a server. So for me the air was just for out and about or while I'm doing something on the pros. I mainly write on it.

Yes the functionality is limited compared to an air but I think I wil be able to do 90% of my air work on the ipad. I don't need it for authoring work from conception but as an addition much like my moleskin pad!

So no it can't do any of things that you have mentioned but I don't need it to if that makes sense. I need something for when I don't have to bring my 17" pro with me and that has a great battery like the pro. Right now the air doesn't fill this but if the next rev has a much better battery it could complete
my needs.

Hope this makes sense just trying to provide another insight from someone who has an air and uses computers fully (whatever that means) ;)

written on my iPhone :)

iSee
Apr 12, 2010, 05:02 PM
Well, I went from Kindle to Nook, and the Nook is incredible.

The page turning isn't a good point... it doesn't add anything to the user's ability to READ! For color picture books, the iPad is better... but I don't read a lot of color picture books unless to my kids. That's why my iPad is going to my daughter, LOL.

In truth, I plan to replace it with a 3G iPad for myself. I am disappointed with the iPad, but that doesn't mean I am not going to use it. And it is true that one device that does everything half-assed is still better than five devices that does everything great. I have realized that is the iPad's advantage. It may do those things half-assed, but it does them without carrying multiple other devices.

Fair enough. LOL, Apple has you hooked in spite of yourself -- well, me too, truth be told. ;)

I have a much more positive take on the iPad, but it could be because I'm so geeked out by it, it being so new and shiney and all.

It'll be interesting to see how I and you and others like the iPad 1-2 months from now. E.g., will I still be using it as my primary book, movie, web and email
client? Or will I be reaching for the ol' lappy most of the time?

TSX
Apr 12, 2010, 05:07 PM
If anyone wants to ditch their MBA revB for a good price pm me :)

tigres
Apr 12, 2010, 06:18 PM
well thanks first for having a decent debate rather than a flame.

I think it comes down to expectations. I use my air as a second computer. I have a MBP as my main computer and another running as a server. So for me the air was just for out and about or while I'm doing something on the pros. I mainly write on it.

Yes the functionality is limited compared to an air but I think I wil be able to do 90% of my air work on the ipad. I don't need it for authoring work from conception but as an addition much like my moleskin pad!

So no it can't do any of things that you have mentioned but I don't need it to if that makes sense. I need something for when I don't have to bring my 17" pro with me and that has a great battery like the pro. Right now the air doesn't fill this but if the next rev has a much better battery it could complete
my needs.

Hope this makes sense just trying to provide another insight from someone who has an air and uses computers fully (whatever that means) ;)

written on my iPhone :)

I here ya loud and clear. I love my MBA but the battery just sucks, and always has. If I could just find a way to utilize this as a producer, and not an inbetween gadget I don't need. LOL. Who am I kidding, give me reason to pull the trigger. That wormhole app by Nate True looks promissing, but the reviews are terrible thus far.

Well see how this plays, the apps are going to make it the machine I need it for I think.

Balty
Apr 12, 2010, 08:46 PM
I have read many iPad reviews. Like reviews everywhere, their credibility varies. I had never heard of either of the sites upon which the articles to which you linked were published. Further, all of them were published some time before actual shipping iPads were in the hands of actual buyers. I have found, over the course of many years of buying computers, peripherals, and other electronic devices, that I prefer feedback from actual users who are able to address my specific questions. Thus, I hope that you were not being judgmentally critical of my questions about the actual shipping iPad and the responses of other posters to them.

No, no. I was just putting out one side of the argument. (Anyway, the one actual review of the iPad was written after it's release, with an actual iPad. The other articles were practically just ideas, and collections of thoughts on the iPad, and not direct product reviews. :))

In my opinion, the iPad is still in infancy. It is a first revision product and will obviously evolve over time. In my opinion, the iPad is not out to replace "normal" computers (except for, possibly my grandma's Pentium 3 Windows machine). There will still be the place for dedicated machines for a long time to come. Instead, the iPad should be seen as in "inbetween" device. In between a smartphone and a laptop, where it does some things better, and somethings not as well. Overall, from what I have heard, the iPad user experience is wonderful - with some kinks, which are bound to be fixed sooner or later. In my opinion, the iPad will dramatically influence technology as a whole and will start the movement away from standard computers, as we see them today.

P.S. The iPad and iPhone are perfectly useable without flash. Long live HTML, CSS and Javascript - the web standards!

Also, check out these articles.
ANDY IHNATKO - A hands-on day in the life with iPad proves the tablet is a winner (http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/2137342,ihnatko-ipad-hands-on-review-040210.article)
iPad - Part 1 (http://shar.es/mskVF)
My iPad as a tool (http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/4/11/856114/-My-iPad-as-a-tool)

gwsat
Apr 12, 2010, 09:01 PM
No, no. I was just putting out one side of the argument.

In my opinion, the iPad is still in infancy. It is a first revision product and will obviously evolve over time. In my opinion, the iPad is not out to replace "normal" computers (except for, possibly my grandma's Pentium 3 Windows machine). There will still be the place for dedicated machines for a long time to come. Instead, the iPad should be seen as in "inbetween" device. In between a smartphone and a laptop, where it does some things better, and somethings not as well. Overall, from what I have heard, the iPad user experience is wonderful - with some kinks, which are bound to be fixed sooner or later. In my opinion, the iPad will dramatically influence technology as a whole and will start the movement away from standard computers, as we see them today.

P.S. The iPad and iPhone are perfectly useable without flash. Long live HTML, CSS and Javascript - the web standards!
Thanks for your courteous response, I appreciate it. Based on what I have learned from test driving an iPad a couple of times and from the posts here, I think your analysis of the iPad is spot on. Although it is in its infancy and far from a legitimate replacement for a real computer, it is innovative and promises to get a lot better as it matures. As noted in earlier posts, I am still considering buying one. Right now, though, I couldn't get one locally if I wanted to. The Oklahoma City Apple Store and every local Best Buy are sold out of the 16Gb model and I am not about to pay an extra $100 plus sales tax for another 16Gb of memory that I don't need.

Scottsdale
Apr 13, 2010, 12:36 AM
Thanks for your courteous response, I appreciate it. Based on what I have learned from test driving an iPad a couple of times and from the posts here, I think your analysis of the iPad is spot on. Although it is in its infancy and far from a legitimate replacement for a real computer, it is innovative and promises to get a lot better as it matures. As noted in earlier posts, I am still considering buying one. Right now, though, I couldn't get one locally if I wanted to. The Oklahoma City Apple Store and every local Best Buy are sold out of the 16Gb model and I am not about to pay an extra $100 plus sales tax for another 16Gb of memory that I don't need.

The absolute biggest "FAIL" part of the iPad is requiring the use of a REAL COMPUTER to even start it up initially. Seriously, what the hell was Apple thinking? Like they say about this or that, if BLANK then BLANK failed. If you need a real computer to own an iPad then Apple FAILED.

Thinking about the iPad further, why the hell doesn't it have the option to upgrade the RAM from 256 MB? Doesn't that tell us something about Apple when all they can afford is a lousy 256 MB of RAM? WHY? Why cannot we at least buy a BTO iPad with a real RAM package?

Also other considerations that really concern me... why no USB port? Why no SD Card port? Those two things would make the iPad so much more useful and practical.

I am still disappointed with the iPad, as I expected something grand. However, Apple usually always fails us with version one of every product it releases.

drummerlondonw3
Apr 13, 2010, 03:30 AM
I agree that apple does have a poor record when it comes to Rev A products but I think the iPad is hampered by rev A hardware and essentially software.

I remember when I got the first iPhone OS and it really wasnt very exciting and telling everyone 'but just wait until it can...'

the same is true for the ipad. It is a device that needs software and I am sure it will come but right now its more of a potential device.

Personally I have been longing for something like this for some time and am very excited to see where it will go.

Products like this could be start (or not) of a real change in mobile devices. Although I would say I am less confident about the iPad than about the iPhone. When I saw the iPhone I was instantly convinced of its success. Whether the iPad will have the same long-term impact and game changer status remains to be seen but its certainly interesting.

drummerlondonw3
Apr 13, 2010, 04:40 AM
I don't like Ipad, the size is quite big, no matter call or doing office work. I really don't know this big touch screen is for what purpose of use. Don't buy, this equipment only for entertaining. quite similar with the Amazon book reader.

I'm so glad I have you here to tell me what to buy and what not to buy :rolleyes:

drjsway
Apr 13, 2010, 04:53 AM
The absolute biggest "FAIL" part of the iPad is requiring the use of a REAL COMPUTER to even start it up initially. Seriously, what the hell was Apple thinking? Like they say about this or that, if BLANK then BLANK failed. If you need a real computer to own an iPad then Apple FAILED.

Thinking about the iPad further, why the hell doesn't it have the option to upgrade the RAM from 256 MB? Doesn't that tell us something about Apple when all they can afford is a lousy 256 MB of RAM? WHY? Why cannot we at least buy a BTO iPad with a real RAM package?

Also other considerations that really concern me... why no USB port? Why no SD Card port? Those two things would make the iPad so much more useful and practical.

I am still disappointed with the iPad, as I expected something grand. However, Apple usually always fails us with version one of every product it releases.

Okay, now you're reaching. Good thing this post isn't in the iPad forum because it would be plain trolling.

When you a buy an iPad, they activate it for you in the Apple store. Next thing, you'll say that you need a computer to use a iPhone or iPod touch.

And why are you complaining about an SD card slot, something not even a $1,800 MBA has.

Again, you fail to see that you are in the minority here. Most people HATE computers. Most people hate ports and slots and file systems and troubleshooting and everything associated with current PCs. They just tolerate it because there are no alternatives in an increasingly computer dependent world.

An iPad looks and feels like an appliance, not a computer. It's basically a big glass screen. There are no ports, no keyboard, nothing intimidating about it at all. It's there to serve you, not give you a headache. You don't need to learn anything to use it. You don't need to worry about running out of battery, getting a virus/Trojan, fan noise, cpu overheating, coolbook, where to find the hundreds of thousands of apps scattered around the web because all apps are in one location, whether your system is powerful enough to run a certain app because there are no system requirements, no managing files and folders, no need to close apps or tabs if you have too many open (with 4.0 multitasking), or whether you have enough RAM. Whether you have 256MB or 4GB, you know you can run all the apps because all apps are developed for you.

Look at what the tech journalists are saying: Wall Street Journal (Laptop Killer? Pretty close), Gizmodo (iPad is the future), TWIT (iPad will replace macs, Macs will be exclusively for the professional market), Chicago Sun-Times (iPad is one of the best computers ever made), NYTimes, USA Today, Anand Tech, Ars Technica, etc. In fact, can you show me one truly negative review from a respected source? As negative as yours, I mean.

But Mossberg, Laporte, and all the other journalists are idiots and you know more about technology than all of them, right? I understand if the iPad is not for you but it's tremendously stubborn not to admit that it has tons of advantages over a MBA or any other laptop.

Balty
Apr 13, 2010, 06:45 AM
I understand if the iPad is not for you but it's tremendously stubborn not to admit that it has tons of advantages over a MBA or any other laptop.

Advantages and disadvantages.

drjsway
Apr 13, 2010, 06:57 AM
Advantages and disadvantages.

Correct. Only Scottsdale is too stubborn to admit to the advantages.

gwsat
Apr 13, 2010, 08:48 AM
The iPad's weakness that worries me most right now is its lack of a USB port. That's bad, it seems to me. Couple that with the iPad's currently crippled network connectivity and a lot of unnecessary problems get created. Still, given Apple's halfhearted refresh of the 13 inch MBP and complete failure to update the MBA, I guess I wil buy an iPad. Despite its weaknesses, it still has a lot going for it. Who said Steve Jobs wasn't a marketing genius? :)

lashedup
Apr 13, 2010, 10:12 AM
I think there are good arguments on both sides of this coin, albeit the MBA faithful strike me as a little defensive. I ditched my 17" MBP and bought my first MBA and I love it. I miss the extra screen real estate at times and the computing power of my MBA sucks compared to my 17" MBP. If I need to do some heavy photoshop work the MBA crawls compared to my MBP. So in a way I could argue that people that want to do "real" computing might not want a MBA either.

I think it all comes down to perspective and use. If you primarily use your MBA for travel, surfing, email and occasionally editing a word document or spreadsheet or power point presentation then an iPad could work as a replacement so long as you can get used to the keyboard.

If you need to type long documents, need to use photoshop or do video editing (or basically any kind of power computing) then you'll need one of Apple's laptops. Now whether that is a MBP 13" or a MBA is probably a bigger discussion.

The iPad is version 1.0 and could for some people be a replacement for a traveling laptop/netbook. As time moves on and the OS improves and more mainstream apps appear, the iPad market will obviously morph a bit.

Much like many of you here I've wondered what the future of the MBA is. Another set of revised and upgraded MBP's were announced today and still nothing on the MBA front. We'll see...

- j

gwsat
Apr 13, 2010, 01:48 PM
The Apple Store finally got in more 16Gb iPad's today and I bought one. Not only is there no indication when, if ever, the MBA will be refreshed, an MBA would cost exponentially more than the iPad did. That convinced me that the iPad was my best choice for having quick and dirty Web access in a highly portable form.

I have barely scratched the surface with the thing, so have no idea how I will like it. At least Web pages load quickly on it so its 802.11n Airport capability seems to be working well. I managed to get email setup, too. The only real problem so far has been its inability to find my Bluetooth keyboard. Go figure. If anybody has any suggestions about this, they would be gratefully received.

drummerlondonw3
Apr 13, 2010, 02:09 PM
congratulations!

may I recommend getting the airvideo app, it streams any video direct to your ipad

also (and absolutely amazingly) converts on the fly any videos that are not with nearly zero latency.

re keyboard: is it currently paired with your computer?

how are you finding it?

additionally

turns out my initial guess could be right, hopefully http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/05/found-footage-how-to-connect-an-ipad-to-your-existing-wireless/

see also

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2386976&tstart=0

drjsway
Apr 13, 2010, 02:18 PM
I think there are good arguments on both sides of this coin, albeit the MBA faithful strike me as a little defensive. I ditched my 17" MBP and bought my first MBA and I love it. I miss the extra screen real estate at times and the computing power of my MBA sucks compared to my 17" MBP. If I need to do some heavy photoshop work the MBA crawls compared to my MBP. So in a way I could argue that people that want to do "real" computing might not want a MBA either.

I think it all comes down to perspective and use. If you primarily use your MBA for travel, surfing, email and occasionally editing a word document or spreadsheet or power point presentation then an iPad could work as a replacement so long as you can get used to the keyboard.

If you need to type long documents, need to use photoshop or do video editing (or basically any kind of power computing) then you'll need one of Apple's laptops. Now whether that is a MBP 13" or a MBA is probably a bigger discussion.

The iPad is version 1.0 and could for some people be a replacement for a traveling laptop/netbook. As time moves on and the OS improves and more mainstream apps appear, the iPad market will obviously morph a bit.

Much like many of you here I've wondered what the future of the MBA is. Another set of revised and upgraded MBP's were announced today and still nothing on the MBA front. We'll see...

- j

I love the MBA. I bought a Rev A, which had core shutdowns (later fixed by coolbook) and then the hinge broke (which was not covered by apple care at the time). I used a MBA with a broken hinge for four months until Rev B came out. Despite my problems, I spent another two grand on Rev B. That's how much I love the MBA. Apple ended up covering hinge problems much later. I finally had my Rev A fixed and sold it. The hinge on my Rev B broke too a couple months ago, btw.

Although the iPad is polarizing amongst techies, the mainstream love it. Calling any product that sells half a million units in a few days a FAIL (Scottsdale) is just being in denial. The MBA is Apple's worst selling computer (behind even the Mac Pro) and I would guesstimate less than 1.5m have been sold since launch. The iPad will beat that in less than a month.

I'm thinking about selling my MBA for the new 13" MBP. Now that I have an iPad, ultraportability is less of a concern and the new 10 hour battery makes the machine far more usable. The biggest weakness of a MBA is not being able to write all day. Running power cords all around the floor of a coffee shop is not fun. Although I told myself I was never going to buy another computer with an optical drive. Hate to pay for what I think is obsolete technology. For that matter, I think ports are becoming obsolete. The future is not USB3 or light peak, it's wireless. That's why iPad's portless design is so great.

AppliedMicro
Apr 13, 2010, 02:22 PM
Had a chance to toy around with an iPad today.
Managed astonishingly fast typing speeds even on the onscreen keyboard, without practice. Even though typing non-US characters way annoying as hell.

Not sure if I'm going to ditch my MacBook Air altogether. I want to keep a MacBook around, though I'm not sure whether it'll be the Air or the 17" Pro. However, I'm pretty much positive that the iPad is going to replace my MacBook Air for a lot of the things I do.

With the screen turned 90º, viewing PDFs on this thing is so much better than on my MacBook Air (and this already with the simplistic browser view) :eek:

drjsway
Apr 13, 2010, 02:50 PM
Had a chance to toy around with an iPad today.
Managed astonishingly fast typing speeds even on the onscreen keyboard, without practice. Even though typing non-US characters way annoying as hell.

Not sure if I'm going to ditch my MacBook Air altogether. I want to keep a MacBook around, though I'm not sure whether it'll be the Air or the 17" Pro. However, I'm pretty much positive that the iPad is going to replace my MacBook Air for a lot of the things I do.

With the screen turned 90º, viewing PDFs on this thing is so much better than on my MacBook Air (and this already with the simplistic browser view) :eek:

Typing is truly great, isn't it? It's funny that people are trying to pair Bluetooth keyboards as soon as they get it. I say, spend a week with the on-screen keyboard. If your speeds still aren't fast enough, then break out the Bluetooth.

Portrait mode is great for more than just PDFs. It's great for any type of reading, especially websites with ads on the right, which you can zoom in and crop out, gaining vertical screen real estate, viewing pictures shot in portrait, and using the device while standing and walking. Reading vertically is much faster than horizontally, which is why newspapers have long narrow columns of text and blogs are formatted the same way. There is a reason any article you read online does not fill up your screen horizontally.

Many people complain about the lack of widescreen, which some even wanting MacBooks to go 16x9 but I think 4x3 is the best ratio for computing. 16x10 is better for multi tasking, sure, but worse if you're working on a single task.

gwsat
Apr 13, 2010, 03:04 PM
congratulations!

may I recommend getting the airvideo app, it streams any video direct to your ipad

also (and absolutely amazingly) converts on the fly any videos that are not with nearly zero latency.

re keyboard: is it currently paired with your computer?

how are you finding it?

additionally

turns out my initial guess could be right, hopefully http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/05/found-footage-how-to-connect-an-ipad-to-your-existing-wireless/

see also

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2386976&tstart=0
Drummer -- Thanks a million! It turns out that I solved my keyboard problem by unpairing it from my MBP. I am using it to type this into the iPad's mail app now. I have far to go before I sleep but am making progress -- with a little help from my friends. :)

I'll look for the Air Video app next. Thanks again!

halledise
Apr 13, 2010, 03:38 PM
Very well said.

ditto!
and am still more than happy with my 2.13 SSD Air.
don't care when Apple decide to update and up-spec them - mine will do for a long time to come yet. ;)

iPad? - pffft

drummerlondonw3
Apr 13, 2010, 03:39 PM
Drummer -- Thanks a million! !

Not at all, thats what i love about being on here :)

gwsat
Apr 13, 2010, 03:51 PM
ditto!
and am still more than happy with my 2.13 SSD Air.
don't care when Apple decide to update and up-spec them - mine will do for long time to come yet. ;)

iPad? - pffft
Although I bought an iPad today, i agree that it is a pale imitation of an MBA. Unfortunately, I can't use the current MBA because of its 2Gb RAM limitation -- it's a long story. As a device for quick and dirty Web browsing and email, though, the iPad is all right. Nevertheless, those who say that with a Bluetooth keyboard the iPad is the equivalent of the MBA are living in a dream world.

inott
Apr 13, 2010, 09:57 PM
The keyboard on the iPad is fantastic. I've been using iPhones, and net books for years...as well as my MBA. And the size is nearly the same as a traditional Mac keyboard, slightly better then a net book even. iPad is a hit.

Btw typed this on my iPad in absolutely no time.

Balty
Apr 14, 2010, 01:01 AM
ProTip™ : The iPad is not meant to replace the MacBook Air...

http://cl.ly/KSa/content

Razzz
Aug 18, 2011, 02:28 PM
My favourite thread so far :D

darngooddesign
Aug 18, 2011, 03:03 PM
The iPad is no replacement for an MBA. Those who think the iPad can replace their MBA never needed a COMPUTER in the first place.

I agree with this. If the iPad works as a replacement for your only computer, which is what's being discussed, you didn't need to buy a computer. Your needs were very basic compared to everything a full computer can do.

No single convergence device will be as good at everything as a bunch of specialized devices. The point is that you don't have to carry five different devices to accomplish those tasks. The iPad is pretty good, not half-assed, at all those things you mentioned, its more than good enough to deal with its failings.

Back on track. The iPad can replace your computer provided you don't need a computer to do more than what it can do. Do your research.

3bs
Aug 18, 2011, 03:31 PM
I don't own an iPad but I've used it enough to know that it can't replace a laptop

mayassa
Aug 18, 2011, 03:45 PM
I'm replacing my MacBook pro 17 with my new MBA and ill keep my ipad2 for travel and the crapper.

ZBoater
Aug 18, 2011, 03:49 PM
iPad 2 and MBA owner here. I agree with the comments that if an iPad replaced your laptop, then you didn't need a laptop to begin with. The iPad is an AMAZING device, and it can do a LOT, but something as simple as uploading a file to a site can be a chore. Most people don't need this flexibility, but I need access to my file system so I can FTP, download, upload, and do all sorts of 80's computing stuff.

I also need to run Quicken for Business, DVD Profiler, iTunes (the iPad today is useless without a computer running iTunes), and the iPad can't do that.

I can see how for some people, an iPad can be the only device they use. My parents for example could get away with just the iPad, as all they do is email, very light web browsing, and Mobile Banking. Bam, iPad only.

For the rest of us, we need the real thing. :cool:

Artmuzz
Aug 18, 2011, 03:49 PM
I have owned an iPad for a couple of years now and even though there are excellent apps it is still no substitute for a Mac (or PC for that matter). For a while I have been saving up for the new iPad 2 but finally used that money to buy the new i5 intel core 11 inch MacBook Air. Why did I choose the MacBook Air 11 inch over the iPad 2? Well the answer is that I was wanting a small portable device that I could use Logic Pro and Reason and use Final Cut Pro and for the size the MacBook Air, it is totally awesome. Also I was wanting full use of the internet with Flash and download files from the likes of Rapidshare. For a device that is just a little tiny bit bigger than an iPad i have all the power that my old 2008 MacBook Pro has to write and produce music and video. Another reason I chose the MacBook Air over the iPad 2 is because I already own an iPad that is still good at the music apps like NanoStudio and Sunrizer synth plus I can still use my old iPad as a midi controller for my MacBook Air if I want. One thing I do wish the MAcBook Air had that the iPad has is Touch Screen capabilities.:)

vseera
Aug 18, 2011, 04:25 PM
Actually, I went the other way. Initially, I only had an iPad and a MBP.

But I noticed that I almost never used the iPad, instead, choosing to use my MBP most of the time. And I found the MBP too big and heavy.

So I got an MBA and have never looked back! I don't miss the iPad for anything (have my iPhone for all the iOS apps goodness). Plus, usually the iPhone apps are cheaper than iPad ones and there are more of them, so thats a winner.

The only thing I miss on the iPad is my Zinio magazine subscriptions. It was just so intuitive to read magazines on that device, reading them on the iPhone is just too small and on the MBA, too cumbersome.

I tried reading books on the iPad but gave up. The screen was just too bright and used to give me a strain more often than not. My Kindle is used almost everyday without any issue.

Fernandez21
Aug 18, 2011, 04:27 PM
I have owned an iPad for a couple of years now and even though there are excellent apps it is still no substitute for a Mac (or PC for that matter). For a while I have been saving up for the new iPad 2 but finally used that money to buy the new i5 intel core 11 inch MacBook Air. Why did I choose the MacBook Air 11 inch over the iPad 2? Well the answer is that I was wanting a small portable device that I could use Logic Pro and Reason and use Final Cut Pro and for the size the MacBook Air, it is totally awesome. Also I was wanting full use of the internet with Flash and download files from the likes of Rapidshare. For a device that is just a little tiny bit bigger than an iPad i have all the power that my old 2008 MacBook Pro has to write and produce music and video. Another reason I chose the MacBook Air over the iPad 2 is because I already own an iPad that is still good at the music apps like NanoStudio and Sunrizer synth plus I can still use my old iPad as a midi controller for my MacBook Air if I want. One thing I do wish the MAcBook Air had that the iPad has is Touch Screen capabilities.:)

Really? Thats amazing seeing how it was only released a year and a half ago. :p

just teasing. I agree with most of your post, I have an iPad 2 that I have barely touched since getting my air. Earlier I was set on upgrading to the next iPad whenever it came out, but now I'm not so sure.

pollaxe
Aug 18, 2011, 05:19 PM
I got an iPad (first gen) about a year ago (I was very surprised, I was an ardent Apple-hater up until that point) and I've had a lot of use out of it during those twelve months.

However, whilst it was a great little gizmo for web and emails I found my fingers are too big to make typing and editing text very easy and I didn't like the grease and fingerprints that seem to fly on the screen every time the cover was opened.

The MBA is, strangely, my iPad replacement. I hardly ever use the iPad now (it's next to my slumbering fiancee who says she's doesn't really like the device but she seems to use it an awful lot, mainly for Facebook and Angry Birds!) and in many ways, the MBA has become what I'd initially hoped the iPad might do. It's lovely having a keyboard, it's fast, it can do useful things on my home network and I'm so glad it's not a touchscreen! I know Apple are looking at a grease-busting solution for their screens but for the time being, it's the MBA all the way for me. The only thing I miss on the iPad is its battery life.

jonutarr
Aug 18, 2011, 05:50 PM
NO

Had an iPad for a couple of months, most uncomfortable device I've ever used, my neck was either hunched over giveing me head aches, propping it upright I couldn't type properly and holding with one hand while using it with the other (and all variations) gave me RSI

I like the technology but iPads are literally just a pain

cardinalryan
Aug 25, 2011, 03:17 PM

All of this is one person's opinion and not a shred more. I have had both units and I prefer the iPad due to it's ultra portability. If I need to do anything that the iPad can't do, I'll use my iMac.

glen e
Aug 25, 2011, 03:59 PM
said it before, this war back and forth on ipad vs laptop is childish & ridiculous...the ipad is for consuming content and is not meant to be a computer. The MBA is for creating content. Period.

When I'm on the couch, I want to read my email and don't want some laptop that is cumbersome to use - even if it's my MBA 11. The pad succeeds brilliantly.

When I'm writing a long letter, or creating a keynote presentation, I need my MBA and the ipad won't work.

But they peacefully coexist in my house, because as my signature says:

JSalig
Aug 25, 2011, 05:48 PM
I will never understand how some people can be so gleeful over the idea of iPads replacing MacBooks. Why would anyone root for that to happen? Why does it need to happen? Personally, I love the form factor of laptops and can't imagine life without one.

thelead
Aug 25, 2011, 06:03 PM
There just aren't enough apps for my iPad to keep me interested. I really don't care for more than 5-10 apps. Browsing webpages isn't even enjoyable if you are like me: opening 5-10 pages in tabs and reading them one at a time.

My iPad doesn't get used very often (besides "Night Stand" app, FieldRunners, Boggle, and Angry Birds). It really only gets taken to places where it wouldn't be ideal to take a laptop (like the beach).

richpjr
Aug 25, 2011, 06:06 PM
I will never understand how some people can be so gleeful over the idea of iPads replacing MacBooks. Why would anyone root for that to happen? Why does it need to happen? Personally, I love the form factor of laptops and can't imagine life without one.

It doesn't need to replace it. I believe that Apple is slowly moving towards converging devices, but we are a long way off from something that does everything well. The screen on an iPhone is too small. Typing on an iPad sucks. A MBA is too big for some places I go and isn't always online. The iMac is a desktop and obviously can only be used in one place. So I have 4 difference devices from Apple, each with their own uses.

jpl6
Aug 25, 2011, 06:09 PM
I got a MBA to replace my iPad for mobile computing. :D

Mobile Computing Timeline for Me:
HP Envy 15 (HP's MBP) -> iPad 1 -> MBA

Uses Now:
MBA - All Computer Tasks (Surfing, Video, Writing, Coding, etc.)
HP Envy 15 - Gaming
iPad 1 - Consuming content on the go (when I don't want to use MBA) or when I'm on the loo (lol).

But yeah, my usage of the iPad has decreased significantly after I got my MBA. Glad I didn't upgrade to the iPad 2 now.

Yumunum
Aug 25, 2011, 06:24 PM
An iPad is a huge iPhone. That's all it is. And for that reason, I stopped using my iPad after the "honeymoon" phase. My iPhone is always with me, and easier to hold and type on. For real computing I have a MBA.

Really, I don't see myself buying another tablet until things change drastically. If you're thinking of buying an iPad, just realize that it is ONLY a bigger iPhone. There will be no more functionality than you already have. You won't be able to anything more.

Sorry if I just ruined iPads for you. And I don't want to hear about [app here] that's slightly different than it's iPhone counterpart. It isn't enough

andrewlgm
Aug 25, 2011, 06:36 PM

Whenever I'm out and about with the iPad I really feel the lack of a keyboard. In my case, the iPad will never replace a true keyboard and the ability to multitask side by side of a laptop- word and power point presentation for studying side by side cannot be done with the iPad.

----------

An iPad is a huge iPhone. That's all it is. And for that reason, I stopped using my iPad after the "honeymoon" phase. My iPhone is always with me, and easier to hold and type on. For real computing I have a MBA.

Really, I don't see myself buying another tablet until things change drastically. If you're thinking of buying an iPad, just realize that it is ONLY a bigger iPhone. There will be no more functionality than you already have. You won't be able to anything more.

Sorry if I just ruined iPads for you. And I don't want to hear about [app here] that's slightly different than it's iPhone counterpart. It isn't enough

I feel the same way. I love the iPad for bed time reading. But when I'm in school, I must use my laptop in classes, and when I'm on the train the iPhone is much more manageable than the iPad. I use the iPad once every 3 days when I'm actually at home and in bed at a decent time.

glen e
Aug 25, 2011, 06:38 PM
Nobody "ruined" an ipad for me...I love them - I can run keynote on my phone or my ipad...but for a presentation in front of an audience, it's easier to run said presentation on an ipad than phone. Yeah, it's a big phone and I have no problem with that. And batt life is alot better for presentations using an ipad than the MBA...

jrtaylor6
Aug 25, 2011, 11:00 PM
I have a iPhone 4, and dont see the difference between them.

jamesryanbell
Aug 26, 2011, 09:14 AM

I TRADED MY iPAD 1 FOR THE MBA - exact opposite. I've never looked back for a second. I'm a musician for a living, and I had issues with the touchscreen when typing. I have callouses on my finger that seemingly killed the "signal" in my fingers, leaving a lot of dead letters when I typed. It's all about what YOU need. For me, "no physical keyboard, no care".

Strangely, I rarely ever have the problem on iPhone 4. Something about the angle at which I type on the iPad I guess.

-- Ryan

orfeas0
Aug 26, 2011, 09:40 AM
A keyboard does defeat the purpose and completely unnecessary. We've been using physical keyboards all our life and it takes time to get used to something different. Instead of using a keyboard accessory, take the time to learn to use the iPad one. I already get 60WPM and I bet that number will come up the more I use it.

Waw, that's impressive! I just did a test and I'm hitting 69 WPM on my laptop!! And I type pretty fast! 60wpm on an ipad is extraordinary! I haven't used an iPad that much to compare , but from my iPhone experience I don't expect too much from the ipad. Sure the ipad is bigger but the responsiveness etc isn't that good for typing.

Dunbar
Aug 26, 2011, 05:32 PM
Surfing the internet on the iPad is painfully slow. For that reason alone it's not a laptop replacement. The external bluetooth keyboards seem pretty limited in their usefulness with no mouse option. It does travel nicely though. You don't have to take it out of your bag to go through security.

Hey, somebody bumped an old thread!

Nychot
Aug 26, 2011, 06:16 PM
I had an ipad1 and sold it for an ipad2. Its with me all the time. Its a perfect entertainment and research center. I do my real work on my mac mini attached to a 23 inch hp monitor. I use the truly wonderful apple bluetooth keyboard and the fantastic apple magic trackpad. That said, i had sold my macbook so didnt have a mac laptop. A little under two weeks ago i bought an open box 2010 base macbook air at bestbuy for $750 18 months same as cash and they gave me a free apple tv. While it was an open box it had never been registered. Its new. BUT since i got it i rarely use it and still rely on my ipad for everything outside of my work mac mini. The air is a thing of beauty. Its fast. It has a keyboard but it doesnt have the app abilities of the ipad. My wife also has an ipad2 and we look like robots attached to them. Its sturdy, great screen, so portable. To make a long story short im debating whether to return the MA because i dont really see myself using it on a par with the ipad. Im already looking forward to the ipad3. If you dont need a "conventional" laptop, go for the ipad. Its truly wonderful. Btw, i took advantage of the firesale on the hp touchad 32gb for $149 that arrives next week and it'll be interesting to see how it compares to the ipad. Hope this helps.

willisbr
Aug 26, 2011, 06:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I bought my MBA 13" last month and hAvent touched my iPad since.