PDA

View Full Version : Converting MKV files with subtitles

Scopi
Apr 13, 2010, 08:25 AM
Is there any way to convert MKV files to an iTunes friendly format that includes subtitles contained in the MKV format?

Thanks.

CWallace
Apr 13, 2010, 10:06 AM
If they're hard-coded in the video file, you need do nothing.

If they are an external file (.ass or .srt), Handbrake I know allows you to select them to add them in.

Scopi
Apr 13, 2010, 10:15 AM
And if they're neither?

The subtitles are part of the mkv. They're not hardcoded or in an external file. If I watch the file in Movist, for example, I can turn them on or off. But when I convert the mkv file to something I can watch with iTunes using Handbrake the subtitles don't make it over, unless I'm missing something.

xfiring
Apr 13, 2010, 10:45 AM
I struggle with this also, there is no easy way to do it. You have to use a program called iMKVExtract, extract just the subtitle track and then add it via Subler to the file.

The problem I find is that at least 50% of the time the subtitle tracks contain the entire movie, not just non-english parts and you can't easily turn subtitles on/off like on an MKV via Plex, so you are looking at creating custom subtitle files for those movies.

If I am missing something let me know because I'm at the point where if it is just 5 minutes or so a movie I'm just going to let it go without subtitles.

CWallace
Apr 13, 2010, 11:25 AM
Okay, I am guessing this is a "soft-sub" with the subtitle track muxed into the MKV file itself.

Alas, I am not really familiar with them (I either use "hard-subs" or external files) so I can't help you, but hopefully someone else with experience in this can.

williedigital
Apr 15, 2010, 05:13 PM
This program can go straight from mkv to mp4 and keep subtitles. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) the subs will be hardcoded into the .mp4.