Converting MKV files with subtitles

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Scopi, Apr 13, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Is there any way to convert MKV files to an iTunes friendly format that includes subtitles contained in the MKV format?

Thanks.

2. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

If they're hard-coded in the video file, you need do nothing.

If they are an external file (.ass or .srt), Handbrake I know allows you to select them to add them in.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

And if they're neither?

The subtitles are part of the mkv. They're not hardcoded or in an external file. If I watch the file in Movist, for example, I can turn them on or off. But when I convert the mkv file to something I can watch with iTunes using Handbrake the subtitles don't make it over, unless I'm missing something.

4. macrumors member

I struggle with this also, there is no easy way to do it. You have to use a program called iMKVExtract, extract just the subtitle track and then add it via Subler to the file.

The problem I find is that at least 50% of the time the subtitle tracks contain the entire movie, not just non-english parts and you can't easily turn subtitles on/off like on an MKV via Plex, so you are looking at creating custom subtitle files for those movies.

If I am missing something let me know because I'm at the point where if it is just 5 minutes or so a movie I'm just going to let it go without subtitles.

5. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

Okay, I am guessing this is a "soft-sub" with the subtitle track muxed into the MKV file itself.

Alas, I am not really familiar with them (I either use "hard-subs" or external files) so I can't help you, but hopefully someone else with experience in this can.

6. macrumors 6502

mkvtools

This program can go straight from mkv to mp4 and keep subtitles. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) the subs will be hardcoded into the .mp4.