PDA

View Full Version : Quickoffice for iPad. Anyone using it?

danpass
Apr 14, 2010, 07:42 PM
I have it for my iPhone and it improves its functionality but of course the screen size limits its overall utility in creating and editing xls and doc files.

Anyone using it on the iPad and what do you think?

xraydoc
Apr 14, 2010, 07:58 PM
I have it for my iPhone and it improves its functionality but of course the screen size limits its overall utility in creating and editing xls and doc files.

Anyone using it on the iPad and what do you think?

I don't think it's out for the iPad, yet.

jjk454ss
Apr 14, 2010, 08:12 PM
Shoot, I saw this post and got excited about Quickoffice for the iPad. I like it on my phone, I hope they release it for the iPad. I have not tried the iPhone version on my iPad, anyone tried it to see how it is?

r0k
Apr 14, 2010, 08:19 PM
I'm using docs to go in 2x mode. I hear that dataviz will release an iPad version but they tend to be slow. Don't know about quick office but I suspect it will try to get around the gimpy limitations of the iPad similar to what docs to go does. Docs to go can read and write from google docs. This means you can read, modify, write in one program which apple seems bound and determined to block on all iPhones, iPod touches and iPads.

danpass
Apr 14, 2010, 08:25 PM
In iTunes I had seen iPad listed in the Quickoffice description and was hoping it was more than simply running the current iPhone app in iPad.

That 2x zoom I saw in the Nasa app on the iPad was substandard and I suspect any 2x zoomed app will look equally substandard

Ping Guo
Apr 14, 2010, 08:44 PM
I'm wondering if DropBox, once released, used in conjunction with Quickoffice or iWork on the iPad, will be an easy workaround for the file-sharing issues?

Tralasau
Apr 14, 2010, 08:52 PM
i bought it for my ipad (don't own iphone/touch) since on the website it says it's compatible. It's not. So I wasted $15. However I emailed them and they said they are working on it!

Hopefully they let me just upgrade or that would make me feel screwed hehe

jreuschl
Jun 14, 2010, 07:44 PM
It is now available for $9.99 (introductory price). Anyone use?

CristobalHuet
Jun 14, 2010, 07:50 PM
It is now available for $9.99 (introductory price). Anyone use?

Yes, and I feel ripped off. Load of rubish. Docs2Go and iWork are both exponentially better.

Word-processing wise, it's beyond pathetic. I hate the UI first of all, Pages has a beautiful toolbar and Docs2Go has some more functional bars...QuickOffice Word is barebones only offering you font colour, paragraph formatting, font, size, and one or two other things as options...and that is it. Text is blurry, external bluetooth support is pathetic (lags, no arrow key support)...Dropbox compability is limited (you can't view downloaded files offline LOL).

I feel cheated so bad. It's worthless for me, feels so rushed, almost like a panic because Docs2Go was released and stealing the spotlight. I don't know about Excel, but I know someone who laughed when he downloaded it...he says Numbers is better. A review on iTunes suggests that the powerpoint viewer is crippled and garbles powerpoints on import.

Avoid, imo.

danpass
Jun 14, 2010, 09:08 PM
:DYes, and I feel ripped off. Load of rubish. Docs2Go and iWork are both exponentially better.

Word-processing wise, it's beyond pathetic. I hate the UI first of all, Pages has a beautiful toolbar and Docs2Go has some more functional bars...QuickOffice Word is barebones only offering you font colour, paragraph formatting, font, size, and one or two other things as options...and that is it. Text is blurry, external bluetooth support is pathetic (lags, no arrow key support)...Dropbox compability is limited (you can't view downloaded files offline LOL).

I feel cheated so bad. It's worthless for me, feels so rushed, almost like a panic because Docs2Go was released and stealing the spotlight. I don't know about Excel, but I know someone who laughed when he downloaded it...he says Numbers is better. A review on iTunes suggests that the powerpoint viewer is crippled and garbles powerpoints on import.

Avoid, imo.

haha, good enough for me, I'll stick with Pages then, thanks :D

CristobalHuet
Jun 15, 2010, 07:31 AM
:D

haha, good enough for me, I'll stick with Pages then, thanks :D

Always glad to help ;)

Doesn't mean that future updates can't fix any of my described shortcomings...they can for sure, and if they do, I'll have no problem going back. :)

Did you intend on using Office docs on iPad, or were you just looking at an alternative to Pages?

zolaman
Jun 15, 2010, 03:43 PM
I don't personally have it on my iPad but the biggest shortcoming I saw when my girlfriend was using it on hers was that the keyboard typing lags which is annoying when you can actually type at a decent speed.

danpass
Jun 15, 2010, 03:48 PM
Always glad to help ;)

Doesn't mean that future updates can't fix any of my described shortcomings...they can for sure, and if they do, I'll have no problem going back. :)

Did you intend on using Office docs on iPad, or were you just looking at an alternative to Pages?

I have it for iPhone. Now I see it won't be universal anyway so forget about it lol.

caubeck
Jun 15, 2010, 04:32 PM
If you have text in the clipboard and try to paste it in a new QO doc, you can't get the paste button to appear without typing something first. It's a forgivable bug. But the whole zooming-bouncing experience is off-putting on its own.

It's a fair bet that none of the people involved in developing this app would actually use it for office work themselves.

AJsAWiz
Jun 15, 2010, 05:23 PM
Yep, using it and so far liking it :)

jjk454ss
Jun 15, 2010, 09:26 PM
It keeps crashing for me when I try to open an excel spreadsheet. Then it won't even relaunch until I reboot my iPad. To top it off, I created an account on the quickoffice website to submit a ticket, but it won't let me log in.

SubSolar
Jun 16, 2010, 12:19 AM
Can someone who has QuickOffice tell me if you can create .txt files and create new folders in SugarSync or Dropbox? Thanks.

Phil Lee
Jun 16, 2010, 03:27 AM
Can someone who has QuickOffice tell me if you can create .txt files and create new folders in SugarSync or Dropbox? Thanks.

I have just created a text file and also created a new folder in my Dropbox account using Quickoffice

kipnosky
Jun 16, 2010, 04:42 AM

No problem with Dropbox and txt file. Dun use SugarSyn though.

SubSolar
Jun 16, 2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks guys. Bought it just now and seems to work. No SugarSync support it looks like, but I have a free dropbox account. Wish this QuickOffice would have come out for ipad sooner, would've saved $15 from buying Documents to Go which doesn't seem to have .txt or folder create support! Also like how QuickOffice has password protect support for the app.

deaffob
Jun 17, 2010, 03:15 AM
I also noticed that it is painfully slow with googledocs. Nothing wrong with it. It's just really slow on loading with any googledocs documents. I created a dropbox account and I guess I'll have to use that. It is much snappier. :)

kipnosky
Jun 17, 2010, 04:11 AM
Yeah I think it's very much a work-in-progress still lacking basic features features like tables and image insertion in word. I am hoping for some great updates over the next few months.