Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JEdiBeavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
I have a Rev C iMac (Yum!) running OS 9.1.

It has always had a problem awaking from sleep, so we've taken to shutting it down every night. Unfortunately, now it doesn't want to turn on. :(

The power button on the iMac stays lit green even after we shut it down. The screen is blacked, the disk winds down, the fan shuts off, but the green light remains on. The only way to get the machine to turn on is to unplug it from the wall, plug it back in, and then hit the power button.

This is not an acceptable solution IMHO. We don't want our young children playing with electrical outlets or power strips.

Any ideas on how to fix this thing? :confused:

thanks in advance

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Take the iMac to the repair shop, it sound like a simple fault, maybe in the switch or in the power supply, should not cost too much :)

Ensign

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: iMac will not turn on

Originally posted by JEdiBeavis
I have a Rev C iMac (Yum!) running OS 9.1.

It has always had a problem awaking from sleep, so we've taken to shutting it down every night. Unfortunately, now it doesn't want to turn on. :(

The power button on the iMac stays lit green even after we shut it down. The screen is blacked, the disk winds down, the fan shuts off, but the green light remains on. The only way to get the machine to turn on is to unplug it from the wall, plug it back in, and then hit the power button.

This is not an acceptable solution IMHO. We don't want our young children playing with electrical outlets or power strips.

Any ideas on how to fix this thing? :confused:

thanks in advance

Sounds liek GLOD (green light of death), it affected the rev A-D iMacs somewhat frequently (particularly the rev A iMacs). mits a bad analog board. If you hook up another monitor to it (which requires a bit of jury rigging), it should work fine.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
MacMaster, maybe you didn't see the part where JEdiBeavis states that the computer will NOT turn on. :rolleyes:

The light staying on is a known issue, and should be covered (even though your Mac is out of warranty) and be a free repair. Call Apple about it, get a case number and then contact your local AASP to schedule a repair.

It is (most likely) the Power/Analog/Video (P/A/V) board. I remember having an iMac with the same symptom that worked perfectly AFTER I replaced the Power/Analog/Video (P/A/V) board.

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by AlphaTech
MacMaster, maybe you didn't see the part where JEdiBeavis states that the computer will NOT turn on. :rolleyes:
The only way to get the machine to turn on is to unplug it from the wall, plug it back in, and then hit the power button.
See, he can get it to turn on if he does that. Maybe you missed that...:p

JEdiBeavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Sorry to have caused a stir. But the problem is fixed.

The keyboard was plugged into a USB hub instead of directly into the iMac itself.

Problem solved.

You guys were assuming I was brighter than I really am. I appreciate that.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by JEdiBeavis
You guys were assuming I was brighter than I really am. I appreciate that.

Well, we won't make that mistake again... :p :D

Since you didn't mention the keyboard plugged into a hub, we didn't even think about it... MOST [intelligent] people would disconnect the hub and connect the keyboard directly into the iMac as one of the initial trouble shooting steps (before even thinking about asking for help). :rolleyes: :p :D :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.