Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Wow. If it's Apple's intent to completely skip Blu-Ray all-together, that's pathetic.

P-Worm

it seems as though that is the intent. and i don't see any need for Blu-Ray personally. i wish they would at least support it for those who do want it, but i'm just as happy not paying extra for it.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
From what I gather Blu-Ray still is not complete.

Sony rushed it out unfinished to take out HD-DVD and from what I know they have done nothing since. Also licensing is still really expensive.

Add to that 75% of the Mac users I know remove any sony drives from their Macs first thing. Sony make questionable hardware.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
He was asked before and said apple would not invest in technologies that are still not set. Evoloution happens but standards have to be set first. And tbh I don't blame him. There are people who brought v1.0 blueray players that can't access new content.

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
weak response. yes youtube is a good way to share with friends and family but a nice blueray to send out would be even better.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Surprised people aren't reading between the lines here.

Apple sells content on iTunes that competes directly with Blu-ray. They're not going to rush in and provide an excuse to get media elsewhere.

I don't ever expect Apple to support Blu-ray. That's not going to stop me from enjoying my Blu-ray discs on my HDTV though.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Welcome to the brave world co-ompetition. Mr. Jobs sites YouTube as the solution from competitor Google. He is likely right though, the amount of authoring BR disks will probably remain pretty small. The one savior of the format has been the PS3

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Surprised people aren't reading between the lines here.

Apple sells content on iTunes that competes directly with Blu-ray. They're not going to rush in and provide an excuse to get media elsewhere.

I don't ever expect Apple to support Blu-ray. That's not going to stop me from enjoying my Blu-ray discs on my HDTV though.

Agreed on both counts. Blu-Ray on a large HDTV is amazing compared to what passes as HD from the cable company with all of its compression.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of 2011 optical drives were optional BTO items for Macs.

I'd be happy with an external unit that I could hook up via USB and install or rip optical discs on a case by case basis.

I'd love to have a dual drive laptop. Much better use of space and next year 1TB 2.5" drives will be available.

mike.coulter

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
Haha, what a good answer! I know he has to cover what Apple decides whats best, but that was rather good.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I'm familiar. Though I always feel more comfortable about being able to buy from Apple in this config.

Push comes to shove I'll go with a 3rd party kit.

I don't blame you. Even though it is straightforward to work on a MBP I am always nervous before doing so. Worried I'll strip a screw or something like that. :eek:

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
He was asked before and said apple would not invest in technologies that are still not set. Evoloution happens but standards have to be set first. And tbh I don't blame him. There are people who brought v1.0 blueray players that can't access new content.

What?

What about HTML5? Thats certainly not finished but Steve had the fanboys crying out that every site is going to switch over tomorrow afternoon.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
What?

What about HTML5? Thats certainly not finished but Steve had the fanboys crying out that every site is going to switch over tomorrow afternoon.

No one's asking you to pay for HTML5 so the comparison isn't the same nor is there a DRM component that needs to be integrated into the OS.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Which is utter BS. For example, in 2005 Apple touted DVD SP as being the first desktop solution for burning HD even though the HD-DVDs authored by DVD SP would only playback in new-enough Macs w/Superdrives and select Toshiba HD-DVD players. It was a total kludge of a solution offered by Apple just so they could say, "Hey, we got here first!"

Lethal

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
Which is utter BS. For example, in 2005 Apple touted DVD SP as being the first desktop solution for burning HD even though the HD-DVDs authored by DVD SP would only playback in new-enough Macs w/Superdrives and select Toshiba HD-DVD players. It was a total kludge of a solution offered by Apple just so they could say, "Hey, we got here first!"

Lethal

Maybe it's not so much "BS" as "We're not going to make that kind of mistake again"?

I have to deal with another "non-finished, badly defined" standard at work: Bluetooth.
Big bag of hurt over there too, as there's Motorola Bluetooth, LG Bluetooth, Nokia Bluetooth and the giant pain in the satisfaction surveys: PALM Bluetooth, which is unfortunately one of the more popular ones.... ugh. Not to mention all except Motorola appear to change their Bluetooth regularly.... 2007 BT different than 2009, etc... yuck.

If this Blu-Ray stuff is as badly defined and unfinished as Bluetooth was a couple of years ago, I can't blame him for avoiding it.
Even if it was free or offered incentives for installing it, sometimes the hassle involved just isn't worth the support costs and dissatisfaction factor.

Have Fun,
Keri

PS. Blu-Ray, BlueTooth.... maybe it's the color BLUE that's the problem? :eek:

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Now what?

So.... any of you guys burn hd video to an external blu ray drive want to recommend a good one for me? My new iMac is being built as we speak and I'll be getting a hd camcorder soon. Sure would like to share my new hd videos with family without having to post to you tube. They don't have any with that light scribe tech yet, do they? Couldn't find any on google so probably not.....

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Maybe it's not so much "BS" as "We're not going to make that kind of mistake again"?
I think it's more along of the lines of what nuckinfutz already said. Apple is now heavily invested in the content distribution game and they are trying to protect the iTMS. Apple released DVD burners when the DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD-RAM 'wars' were still going on. Apple has released wireless devices before the wireless standards those devices used were completely finished. Apple's mini-display port is an non-standard connector Apple hopes becomes a standard via mass adoption, etc.,.

Lethal

Feb 16, 2010
Wake up, Jobs. You can't protect your beloved subpar iTunes forever, and Blu-Ray is by no means the next failed thing like laserdisc. It isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The least you could do is make it an option for people on your desktop lineup like the iMac.

People don't go out and buy DVD players anymore, they buy Blu-Ray players.

Every new HDTV is now specifically designed to handle high definition content, i.e. namely blu-ray movies.

Licensing has been cheaper and easier for about 15 months now.

Costs are also down.

Blu-Ray sales are still rising, and hard media isn't fading away as quickly as you think it is.

Quit stalling, quit trying to buy time, quit trying to divert attention from the main point by bringing up something as dumb and irrelevant as youtube.

Give us the OPTION of Blu-Ray playback.

You can't demand that your customers do it your inferior way or the highway.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
iTunes Movie Store

Anyone ever download a movie from iTunes music store in HD? What's the quality like? Bitrate? Do they do 5/7.1?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.