PDA

View Full Version : KVM switch between mac and PC

earthtoandy
Sep 22, 2004, 12:49 PM
do you guys know of any good KVM switches that will handle both.. I am assuming this means it is has usb instead of PS/2

i am getting a powerbook soon and when i am at home i want a way to easily use my mouse and monitor from my PC for it.

any suggestions?

this is of course until i can get my 23" alu display

mslifkin
Sep 22, 2004, 01:21 PM
Hi,

I've got the Dr. Bott MoniSwitch Pro 8 USB, and it works very well. I'm running it with 2 Powermacs and 4 PCs. I tried it with a HP 23" Flat Panel running 1920 x 1200 and it looked great; no ghosting at all. I'm using a Mac keyboard, and the PCs work with mouse and keyboard coming in via USB. They make a 2USB and a 4USB also. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Marc

do you guys know of any good KVM switches that will handle both.. I am assuming this means it is has usb instead of PS/2

i am getting a powerbook soon and when i am at home i want a way to easily use my mouse and monitor from my PC for it.

any suggestions?

this is of course until i can get my 23" alu display

Westside guy
Sep 22, 2004, 02:06 PM
The USB KVM switches are the best choice - but you can also buy adapter cables (PS2 keyboard+mouse to USB) that work. I have an older KVM that only has PS2 input, so I use one of those to hook my Powerbook up.

Blue Velvet
Sep 22, 2004, 03:02 PM
We have a 4-way Dr. Bott USB moniswitch at work.

It's OK 95% of the time but occasionally doesn't quite connect properly so the rotary switch then needs a bit of switching back & forth.

Wasn't entirely impressed with the build quality (particularly the USB ports at the back).

Still, I have no experience of any others so I'd give it a qualified 'satisfactory'...

jcook793
Sep 23, 2004, 08:35 AM
A couple of months ago I was using one of those inexpensive IOGear KVM switches (http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS712U) from Best Buy. It worked fantastic and I was very impressed that it held up under high resolutions with no ghosting. I'd recommend it.