PDA

View Full Version : Are you using a Remote Desktop app on your iPad? Which one?

Pages : [1] 2

danpass
Apr 19, 2010, 12:38 PM
I went with Wyse pocketcloud. The mouse pointer function was just too cool. You can drog and drop, highlight, right-click, etc :D. Tap and hold then drag the pointer. It can also be done the same way with your finger.

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v13/p933090624.jpg

Here is a post from Page 9:

I own iTeleport, iTap VNC and RDP, Wyse Pocketcloud, Jump, and Desktop Connect. Each have pros and cons, and some are better than others, but all of them are solid apps and worth the money. For those that just want one good app for controlling other computers remotely or over a local network, I will list the pros and cons, and how they compare to each other.

iTeleport is the most expensive, packs the most features, and was the easiest to setup. iTeleport is VNC only, which means it will work well running with native screen sharing on the mac, but will need a VNC server to be installed on the PC (ultravnc is my favorite). If you enable screen sharing on your mac, the setup will be idiot proof, as it will auto discover your mac for use on your local network. Connecting to your mac or PC remotely will require you to setup a google account and use iTeleport's software that syncs with google cloud. The best option, though, is to just obtain your external ip and forward a port for each computer.

Pros:
iTeleport supports ssh tunneling, multiple mouse control options, the ability to hide screen contents on ipad, a full array of misc keys, and the best implementation of gestures (not to mention the most gestures of any of the clients). Gestures include 3 finger swipes up and down to hide and show the keyboard and taskbar, 3 finger tap to zoom, 3 finger side swipes for task manager, 4 finger swipes for expose, and of course two finger tap to right click, pinch to zoom, and drag to scroll.

Cons:
For a 25 dollar app, it lacks the polish of some of the cheaper apps. The modifier keys are unattractive and hover separate from the keyboard at the top of the screen when activated. The media control keys only work with vine server installed on the mac (will not work with screen sharing). The biggest issue I have with iTeleport is that it feels sluggish. Screen refresh is on par with the other vnc apps, or better, but the redraw on the ipad is the worst of any of the apps. Pinch to zoom is very slow and only zooms in on the mouse. Single finger drag to pan is slow for the screen to update and reposition. This is on local or remote networks, and the color quality doesnt seem to make much of a difference.

iTap VNC and RDP are both pretty much the same, they just use different protocols. iTap packs solid features (not as many as iTeleport), good performance, and the most polished UI (or rather lack of a UI) of any of the remote apps. iTap will be a little tricky to setup for remote access unless you know how to do port forwarding. The documentation is all included in the app. The RDP client will run natively with remote desktop included in the upper versions of windows (check their list of compatible OS's in the app store or their web site), and the VNC client will of course run natively in OSX with screen sharing.

Pros:
Ill say this again, this app is polished. All the keys, menus, and animations are excellent. 3 finger down swipe will activate the keyboard with a nice animation. All the necessary modifier keys are right there attached to the standard keyboard, with a separate button to activate the misc keys and numpad. The interface is touch only, and is the best touch interface of any of the remote apps. You can tap and hold for accurate controls via a scoping system (basically a magnifying glass pops up at your finger tip) that will allow you to drag the mouse. There is no taskbar so none of the screen is obstructed during normal use. The speed of the VNC client is on par with iTeleport, except the ipad redraw rate is much better. Pinch to zoom is smooth and accurate, and panning works perfectly. The speed of the RDP client is also on par with the others. Both iTap clients use the same gestures. These include the aforementioned 3 finger swipe for keyboard and pinch to zoom, but also include 3 finger right swipe to end session, 2 finger tap to right click, and drag to zoom.

Cons:
There aren't that many. The VNC client lacks some of the features of iTeleport like the ability to hide screen contents and some of the advanced gestures. The biggest issue with the iTap client is its sole reliance on touch mode. All of my other remote apps offer multiple options for controlling the mouse. I also had a few issues with some of the misc keys not working under OSX. I have spoken to the developer (who was very quick to respond) and was told that they will look into fixes for the misc keys under OSX, and that they will be including additional mouse control options in a future update. Lastly, unlike like iTeleport, I notice the mouse will stop responding on occasion (usually for a few seconds at a time). Hopefully this will also be fixed in a future update.

Wyse Pockeycloud is a good all-around RDP client with solid performance, a polished UI, and the best mouse control of any of the remote clients. Setup is similar to all of the other apps, and the ability to do port forwarding will make it very easy.

Pros:
It's all about the mouse controls. A single tap of the mouse icon brings up a (nicely animated) mouse icon with a group of buttons attached. These buttons are always fixed to the mouse so they can be activated quickly from your fingertip. These options include a right click, a scrollbar, and keyboard activation button. These controls are necessary as Wyse supports almost no gestures (except pinch to zoom and single finger panning). Everything is run from mouse or the taskbar (which can be hidden). Performance is good, and audio streaming works well (audio streaming quality can be set in options). Lastly, like iTap and Jump, the pinch to zoom and panning speeds are excellent.

Cons:
Already mentioned the big one. Complete lack of gesture support. No two finger tap to right click or drag to scroll. No gestures to bring up keyboard, hide taskbar, or zoom. Another issue (purely cosmetic), is the login screen. Wyse has, by far, the ugliest login screen. the huge bold font and over shadowing looks like it came straight from a free app. Also, when launching the app in landscape mode, the login screen will start in portrait before adjusting. If Wyse fixes the login screen and adds full gesture support this will be a real winner.

Jump went from average to great with its latest update. Like the other RDP clients, setup was straight forward and performance was excellent. This app is now fully featured and packs a fairly polished UI.

Pros:
Offers a ton of features for the price. Multiple mouse controls, gestures, and a clean look make this one of my favorites. The UI has gotten sooo much better in the latest update. The taskbar is much nicer and can now be hidden. The mouse control is very similar to Wyse but also offers a full array of gestures. Pinch to zoom and panning are quick and responsive.

Cons:
Despite great strides in the last update, I would like to see even more attention given to polishing the UI. The fixed circle for controlling the mouse (which can now be hidden) is ugly compared to the one used in Wyse. The full array of misc keys is great, but like the mouse circle, is ugly and takes up way too much screen real estate. Either make the vast space between the keys transparent, or fit them closer together like the misc keys in iTap. Since the developer is here on these forums, I would like to throw in a few other requests. Please add gesture support for zooming. Pinch is easy, but a 3 finger tap to instant zoom and unzoom would be nice. I have been spoiled by the fingertip controls of Wyse, so similar additions to the Jump mouse controller would be great.

Desktop Connect is solid, but lacks the polish of all the other apps. I will keep this short because I dont use it very often. The biggest reason to get this app is price. If you are on a budget and need RDP and VNC support, this is a really good deal. Also, it has great auto discovery of both windows and mac machines on your local network. The login screen is gorgeous, but the rest of the app was hit with the ugly stick. Almost all of the features of the other apps are present, but the presentation is sloppy. If they can overhaul and clean up the UI, this will be on par with the others.

Original post:

There are 6-8 direct remote desktop apps (eliminating VNC type apps for now) in the iPad section of the App store and overall they are similar in price and rating.

My favorite so far is Mocha's RDP app on the iphone but I don't see it (yet, I suppose) in the App store for iPad.

My personal experience prefers the 'direct' connection to the OS rather than having a server running (aka VNC) as the 'direct' connection has turned out to be more stable and have better resolution.

So which one do you have and what features stand out? Why did you pick that one?

Thanks.

edit:

Based on an iTunes search of 'remote desktop' I added a poll of the programs that I believe do not use a 3rd party client (like VNC) with the exception of LogMeIn considering its been mentioned a number of times already.

edit2:

well Mocha's RDP is up, effective Apr 20 :D

HXGuy
Apr 19, 2010, 12:42 PM
I use LogmeIn Ignition.

I had it for the iPhone and then got the update for the iPad. It works great and I can't really see what another application would do better. I love the interface...you can either move the mouse pointer (to follow your finger) or move the desktop screen and the mouse pointer stays in the middle. I find the latter easier as with the other method, you sometimes can't see the mouse pointer behind your own finger.

Its quick...great quality...and it allows me to access EVERYTHING on my computer, it's awesome going into to Quickbooks while on the road and checking an invoice or even emailing it from Mail.

mikethebigo
Apr 19, 2010, 12:43 PM
I have desktop connect, it's pretty nice and it's cheaper than most of the other crowd favorites. It also supports both VNC and RDP so it works straight with the OS instead of needing to install a program. I've been very happy with it so far, the most complicated thing was setting up DDNS so my iPad could always find the right IP address.

master-ceo
Apr 19, 2010, 12:49 PM
I use itap RDP
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/itap-rdp-client-remote-desktop/id317062064?mt=8

it streams audio to the pad. I was able to use Soundforge, edit a sound and hear the audio on the ipad. :cool:
http://i44.tinypic.com/oap06g.jpg

aperry
Apr 19, 2010, 12:53 PM
I have to give props to Jump Desktop. After doing the same research as you, I arrived at Jump Desktop based on reviews and the stated features. It's very good and very similar to Logmein, but a third of the price.

Pro's for Jump Desktop:
* Good performance
* Automatically fits the computer desktop onto the iPad display
* One-touch access to your computers (passwords can be cached)
* Can be easily connected through firewalls with use of their agent application
* Audio support

Cons:
* Jump's menu bar spans the whole width of the display and is always "on", which means they force you to move the desktop up and down to click things that are behind the menu. I'm told by them that an update this week will correct this.
* It only supports Windows computers that have Remote Desktop support.

I believe Logmein offers all of this, except it requires one or two more steps to connect (at least that's the case if you're using a Logmein free account). However, it also supports all Windows and Mac computers.

Also, Jump is $10, whereas Logmein is a whopping $30.

Hope this helps,
Aaron

TheScappian
Apr 19, 2010, 12:58 PM
another vote for LogMeIn. I use the free version of LogMeIn which allows me to set up all of my systems and my family's systems so I can login and fix their issues. Works on Mac and PC. Love it and the iPad App works great.

designresults
Apr 19, 2010, 01:01 PM
Definitely LogMeIn.

gillybean
Apr 19, 2010, 01:12 PM
I'm now using WinAdmin when connecting to my work computer, and LogMeIn ignition when connecting to my home computer.

aperry
Apr 19, 2010, 01:16 PM
If you're only connecting to Windows computers then Logmein really isn't worth the premium price ($30).

If you're connecting to both Mac and Windows computers then I think Logmein is the best way to go. It's superior to the standard VNC apps.

jeepik
Apr 19, 2010, 01:18 PM
i use logmein to connect to both my macbook pro and my multiple windows 7 boxes, works really well

jsbaugh
Apr 19, 2010, 01:18 PM
I also use logmein and it works well.

DaneGuy
Apr 19, 2010, 01:21 PM
I'm now using WinAdmin when connecting to my work computer, and LogMeIn ignition when connecting to my home computer.

Why 2 different programs?

netdog
Apr 19, 2010, 01:28 PM
What about if you are only logging in to Macs? Still LogMeIn?

Can I also log into a VMWare Fusion XP virtual machine running on my Mac using LogMeIn?

danpass
Apr 19, 2010, 01:29 PM
lol, wouldn't that be like dividing by zero? :D

gillybean
Apr 19, 2010, 01:43 PM
Why 2 different programs?

For my work computer I don't want to install additional software (like logmein requires) so I'd rather just use normal remote desktop.

For my home computer logmein is nicer because it works through routers without requiring any additional configuration, and has better usability and functionality than winadmin.

danpass
Apr 19, 2010, 01:56 PM
So logmein requires a desktop 'server'?

not sure I want that. that's what VNC needs.

Jmacman78
Apr 19, 2010, 01:59 PM
I use logmein at work to fix & do maintenance on offsite machines, and I use it at home as well, both on PC's and Macs. It's easy to use and setup. Very little configuration needed.

danpass
Apr 19, 2010, 02:01 PM
I use logmein at work to fix & do maintenance on offsite machines, and I use it at home as well, both on PC's and Macs. It's easy to use and setup. Very little configuration needed.

each one has logmein software installed?

jtara
Apr 19, 2010, 02:06 PM
My personal experience prefers the 'direct' connection to the OS rather than having a server running (aka VNC) as the 'direct' connection has turned out to be more stable and have better resolution.

Huh? What are you referring to?

ALL remote desktop solutions require some sort of server running on the desktop machine.

danpass
Apr 19, 2010, 02:10 PM

ALL remote desktop solutions require some sort of server running on the desktop machine.
Technically true but there is a distinction.

In case you're not aware:

Windows non-Home versions (like Pro and Ultimate) have an internal function (simply called Remote Desktop) allowing for remote control of the computer (I believe OSX has it as well but not sure).

Other versions of Windows (like Home Premium) would require additional software (like a VNC Server) to be installed so that a program 'dialing' in can utilize it for controlling the computer.

If the VNC Server crashes and/or locks up (which has happened to me on Friday night when I'm already home from the office lol) you're done until Monday (who wants to go in on a Saturday for that?).

It's much less likely for the OS to crash.

aperry
Apr 19, 2010, 02:17 PM

He's probably referring to the difference between RDP and VNC. Although RDP is technically a server, it's also an OS component with no installation required and it has an easy-to-use Windows interface and it represents very low risk to the stability or security of the computer.

I'm not arguing that VNC is high risk (heck, I use it sometimes), but it still is a software application made by another vendor which needs to be installed and configured.

Jmacman78
Apr 19, 2010, 03:01 PM
each one has logmein software installed?

Yes, each machine has the logmein software installed.

bzz
Apr 19, 2010, 03:04 PM

+ 1

virx
Apr 19, 2010, 03:46 PM
Jump desktop, works well. My only gripe is that it does not have an option to make keyboard translucent so I could see what I am typing if window is behind the keyboard. I do not know if other apps allow this.

wgary
Apr 19, 2010, 04:20 PM
What about if you are only logging in to Macs? Still LogMeIn?

Can I also log into a VMWare Fusion XP virtual machine running on my Mac using LogMeIn?

I use Parallels and can fully access everything in the VM through LogMeIn. I also setup LogMeIn on the Parallels VM and that does work. But you can only see the VM so I don't really use that at all.

pooryou
Apr 19, 2010, 04:47 PM
I have iTeleport for iPhone so I am waiting for the promised free upgrade to iPad version. Not sure why they didn't just make it Universal...

http://www.iteleportmobile.com/upgrade

noah82
Apr 19, 2010, 04:49 PM
Logmein is by far the best/most used app on my iPhone/iPad. It was worth even more than the $30 that I paid for it!!

siurpeeman
Apr 19, 2010, 04:50 PM
I have iTeleport for iPhone so I am waiting for the promised free upgrade to iPad version. Not sure why they didn't just make it Universal...

i wish i'd found that before i purchased iteleport for ipad. oh well, still a great app!

tbayrgs
Apr 19, 2010, 04:57 PM
The VNC server functionality is built right into OS X so no need to install third party software. I use Desktop Connect to remotely access both of my home Macs using VNC and so far it's worked great. If security is a concern, isn't using SSH tunneling through VNC an option?

pooryou
Apr 19, 2010, 05:03 PM
i wish i'd found that before i purchased iteleport for ipad. oh well, still a great app!

If you already owned the iPhone one you could ask Apple for a refund of the iPad version, explaining the circumstances.

jeffy777
Apr 19, 2010, 05:18 PM
LogMeIn is solid.

sinsin07
Apr 19, 2010, 07:37 PM
I was considering Logmein since it's a uni app, however I don't like the whole create an account with them. Is there any remote app that allows me to connect directly without going through a third party?

virx
Apr 19, 2010, 07:50 PM
Jump desktop does not require you to create any account. You can connect directly to your machine.

DaneGuy
Apr 19, 2010, 07:55 PM
For my work computer I don't want to install additional software (like logmein requires) so I'd rather just use normal remote desktop.

For my home computer logmein is nicer because it works through routers without requiring any additional configuration, and has better usability and functionality than winadmin.

Excellent. Thanks for that.

FortWorthMac
Apr 19, 2010, 07:58 PM
I understand that the LogMeIn was having some issues on the Mac when the iPad was released. Has that been addressed?

Thanks
David

HXGuy
Apr 19, 2010, 08:03 PM
I understand that the LogMeIn was having some issues on the Mac when the iPad was released. Has that been addressed?

Thanks
David

What issues?

tbayrgs
Apr 19, 2010, 08:28 PM
I was considering Logmein since it's a uni app, however I don't like the whole create an account with them. Is there any remote app that allows me to connect directly without going through a third party?

Desktop Connect.

FortWorthMac
Apr 19, 2010, 08:32 PM
What issues?

I don't know what the specific issues are but it's referenced in the app reviews of it and i believe it's mentioned in the TIPb review of it.

digitalfx
Apr 19, 2010, 08:59 PM

RDM+ is great.

jeffy777
Apr 19, 2010, 09:03 PM
Desktop Connect does audio..... I wish I had known that before I bought LogMeIn, but oh well.

jtara
Apr 19, 2010, 09:10 PM
Technically true but there is a distinction.
Windows non-Home versions (like Pro and Ultimate) have an internal function (simply called Remote Desktop) allowing for remote control of the computer (I believe OSX has it as well but not sure).

Ah, an RDP server.

The RDP server isn't technically *part* of the OS. It's *shipped* with the OS. But it's a separate component - a system service - which can be configured to start automatically or not, and started and stopped.

There's no reason why it's any more or less likely to crash than some third-party server, other than that it was developed by the world's largest software maker, which presumably has put some considerable care and testing into it's development. (tongue-in-cheek intentional...)

Other than that, it's no more "special" than any other system service.

But, sure, why not use an already installed and configured server? Looks like a reasonable plan to me.

sinsin07
Apr 19, 2010, 09:13 PM
Jump desktop does not require you to create any account. You can connect directly to your machine.

Desktop Connect.

RDM+ is great.

Thanks for you quick responses. Does iTeleport buy me anything more than RDM or for that matter LogMeIn? After reading the PDF for LogMeIN, I am reconsidering it, as I believe I can use the app on both the iphone and ipad.

Any thoughts on this?

wrxdrunkie
Apr 19, 2010, 09:28 PM
I have jump desktop and love it. I was REALLY impressed with its responsiveness and consistency.

One of my favorite apps.

siurpeeman
Apr 19, 2010, 09:54 PM
If you already owned the iPhone one you could ask Apple for a refund of the iPad version, explaining the circumstances.

the ipad version was worth the $25 at the time of purchase, and it continues to be worth the $25 today. it's a great app, and it works really well. i also understand that "all sales are final" line, and i'm happy to contribute to the developer. the $25 is also a little easier to swallow, considering the fact that i got the iphone app for $5 when it was on sale early early on.

danpass
Apr 19, 2010, 10:15 PM
poll added

pooryou
Apr 19, 2010, 10:55 PM
the ipad version was worth the $25 at the time of purchase, and it continues to be worth the $25 today. it's a great app, and it works really well. i also understand that "all sales are final" line, and i'm happy to contribute to the developer. the $25 is also a little easier to swallow, considering the fact that i got the iphone app for $5 when it was on sale early early on.

Well that's thoughtful of you. Pretty rare attitude, I must say, but commendable.

DaneGuy
Apr 19, 2010, 11:43 PM
Using Logmein, would I be able to run full screen PowerPoint presentations from my office computer? Animations and all? That would be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet! :D

8CoreWhore
Apr 20, 2010, 02:10 AM
There are lots of reviews on YouTube for many of the apps mentioned here. Check them out.

franmatt80
Apr 20, 2010, 04:59 AM
I have been reading this with interest - am new to the idea of remote access. I downloaded iTeleport which seems to work well for what I want - accessing doc/xls/PDF files from my MacBook pro at home and doing simple tasks in programmes such as Sibelius.

However, when i'm away for business for a few days I guess I'll have to leave the laptop plugged in and prevent it from sleeping? Is this damaging to the laptop if it's for 3 or 4 days at a time? Or is there an app that will wake the macbook from sleep when I want to connect?

Thanks for any help on this.
:)

Eric-PTEK
Apr 20, 2010, 06:35 AM
I use Jump Dektop. I've tried a several and its one of the few that work with Server 2008/R2 along with iTap but its much faster and easier to use and iTap due to the little tracking circle vs iTap's zoom and click.

I hate LogmeIn...lots of reasons...if your doing server administration your using RDP not a third party app to do so.

pyrodex
Apr 20, 2010, 06:52 AM

Thanks for this little tidbit! I was going to buy it for my iPad and will gladly wait for the free upgrade. Also honestly I prefer Vnc over rdp since I've never had a vnc server crash and it works in Linux/Mac/windows Which are all operating systems I support.

wolfpackfan
Apr 20, 2010, 07:29 AM
Using Mocha VNC and very happy with it.

netdog
Apr 20, 2010, 07:33 AM
Are there any that will just work with Apple's Remote Desktop running on the Mac?

Will running one of these on my iPad allow me to run apps on my Mac from my iPad as if I were sitting at my Mac? Seeing and interacting with a virtual screen of the Mac?

Sorry, but I am kind of ignorant about all this, and I'd love to be able to run programs on my Mac by interacting with them from my iPad. Is that what these programs do?

master-ceo
Apr 20, 2010, 07:38 AM
Are there any that will just work with Apple's Remote Desktop running on the Mac?

Yes, Logmein , Desktop Connect and a few others. (there is a thread on here)

Will running one of these on my iPad allow me to run apps on my Mac from my iPad as if I were sitting at my Mac? Seeing and interacting with a virtual screen of the Mac?

Yes

Sorry, but I am kind of ignorant about all this, and I'd love to be able to run programs on my Mac by interacting with them from my iPad. Is that what these programs do?

Yes

ogee
Apr 20, 2010, 07:40 AM

Sorry, I thought you were talking about windows there for a moment.
:D

DaneGuy
Apr 20, 2010, 08:22 AM
Has anyone heard if Logmein will be offering audio soon? That's sort of a deal killer for me. I'd like to be able to listen to music and watch movies.

netdog
Apr 20, 2010, 08:33 AM
Do any of them do audio?

LogMeIn seems to require the host to run LogMeIn software as well, whereas Desktop Remote (also no audio) runs with OS X out of the box.

DaneGuy
Apr 20, 2010, 08:36 AM
Do any of them do audio?

LogMeIn seems to require the host to run LogMeIn software as well, whereas Desktop Remote (also no audio) runs with OS X out of the box.

Desktop Connect is supposed to do audio.

I wish there was a comparison of Desktop Connect vs. Logmein. Those seem to be really popular. I'm trying to decide between the two but don't know enough about their differences.

netdog
Apr 20, 2010, 08:41 AM

On their promo video, they talk about playing music on the host computer, not locally.

I wish there was a comparison of Desktop Connect vs. Logmein. Those seem to be really popular. I'm trying to decide between the two but don't know enough about their differences.

I agree. A number of us could really benefit from that.

DaneGuy
Apr 20, 2010, 08:47 AM
On their promo video, they talk about playing music on the host computer, not locally.

I agree. A number of us could really benefit from that.

Are there many people here who have used both? (I didn't do search so please don't beat me up.) :o

netdog
Apr 20, 2010, 10:04 AM
As someone tried to tell is, anything using VNC (the protocol used by Apple's Desktop Remote) cannot support audio.

The following chart is pretty interesting for those of us who don't know much about this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software

DaneGuy
Apr 20, 2010, 10:06 AM
As someone tried to tell is, anything using VNC (the protocol used by Apple's Desktop Remote) cannot support audio.

The following chart is pretty interesting for those of us who don't know much about this.

Awesome. Thanks for the link.

bjobes
Apr 20, 2010, 10:38 AM
Desktop Connect does look promising but they seem to lack support for setup (for those new to remotes)http://antecea.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=1a918b670c408e4a4498198d7aa5e133

netdog
Apr 20, 2010, 10:40 AM
I am seeing a lot of positive stuff about iTapVNC on the Interwebs.

vini-vidi-vici
Apr 20, 2010, 10:53 AM
Has anyone heard if Logmein will be offering audio soon? That's sort of a deal killer for me. I'd like to be able to listen to music and watch movies.

If you upgrade to their pro/subscription version, it includes audio... It's like $69 a year or something. See their site. They have a chart which compares the tools.

I have logmein, works great... Don't really need audio. Well, computer warning sounds would be nice, but I can live without it.

netdog
Apr 20, 2010, 11:00 AM
If you upgrade to their pro/subscription version, it includes audio... It's like $69 a year or something. See their site. They have a chart which compares the tools.

I have logmein, works great... Don't really need audio. Well, computer warning sounds would be nice, but I can live without it.

If I read their site correctly, Pro offers audio from Windows logins, but not from OS X.

danpass
Apr 20, 2010, 11:02 AM

Awesome. Thanks for the link.

yep, good stuff, thanks.

netdog
Apr 20, 2010, 11:08 AM
I just bought iTap VNC.

Setup was a breeze and it seems to be working quite nicely.

imacdaddy
Apr 20, 2010, 11:14 AM
I bought Desktop Connect mainly because it has BOTH VNC (to connect to Macs/Linux/Win) and RDP (Win). It can Wake On Lan and SSH tunneling. :)

It worked great over 3G while commuting to work.

I haven't tried the others but you can't beat the price! :D

jeffy777
Apr 20, 2010, 11:44 AM

Desktop Connect does indeed send the audio to the iPad's speaker, at least on Windows, not sure about Mac though.

From their website:

"Desktop Connect enables you to listen to your ITunes or other music library on your Windows RDP desktop from the iPad. Songs can be directed to your iPad speakers or your desktop speakers, saving space on your iPad device by playing them from your computer."

http://antecea.com/products/desktop-connect.html

You can't really watch movies with any VNC program because it doesn't transmit fast enough. It'll look like a slideshow.

If you want to stream movies, get Air Video.

gillybean
Apr 20, 2010, 12:01 PM
You can't really watch movies with any VNC program because it doesn't transmit fast enough. It'll look like a slideshow.

If you want to stream movies, get Air Video.

I just used LogMeIn to log in to my home computer to set up the Air Video server for internet access, and now I'm streaming a concert video to my iPad over the internet. The quality is excellent.

netdog
Apr 20, 2010, 12:07 PM
I am really seeing the potential for the iPad even more clearly now. As a thin client, it is terrific.

Regarding Desktop Connect and audio, while Windows can support audio using VNC, OS X does not at this point. That said, there are great workarounds like using Air Video as the previous poster demonstrated.

What a wonderful thing this is to have my computers completely accessible to me using this little pad. Truly marvellous.

tbayrgs
Apr 20, 2010, 12:13 PM
Desktop Connect does look promising but they seem to lack support for setup (for those new to remotes)http://antecea.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=1a918b670c408e4a4498198d7aa5e133

Yeah, was my only problem with Desktop Connect so far. Their help/support areas on both the app and their website are very lacking when it comes to setting VNC remote access (away from your home network). After muddling through for a while and with some help from others here in these forums, I was able to figure it out and it's worked great since then. I send a request direct to the developer last week and never heard back.

BigHonkingDeal
Apr 20, 2010, 12:18 PM
Anybody else find it unusable slow? I played with it for half an hour and then deleted it..... using iTeleport now and couldn't be happier :)

Yeah, was my only problem with Desktop Connect so far. Their help/support areas on both the app and their website are very lacking when it comes to setting VNC remote access (away from your home network). After muddling through for a while and with some help from others here in these forums, I was able to figure it out and it's worked great since then. I send a request direct to the developer last week and never heard back.

DaneGuy
Apr 20, 2010, 12:44 PM
I just used LogMeIn to log in to my home computer to set up the Air Video server for internet access, and now I'm streaming a concert video to my iPad over the internet. The quality is excellent.

This is totally AWESOME. :D

VideoFreek
Apr 20, 2010, 03:57 PM
I use both LogMeIn and iTap RDP, the latter mainly to remote-control a Windows Home Server. Both are fine, though iTap meets my needs better for the server.

xraydoc
Apr 20, 2010, 04:18 PM
I use iTeleport (formerly Jaadu VNC).

While iTeleport is a VNC client and not a RDP client per se, it works on my Macs and PCs, so it comes in very handy for me.

utopianbl
Apr 20, 2010, 05:32 PM
so I got LogMeIn - but I'm experiencing a lot of stutter while I'm browsing web pages and switching between programs on my IPAD. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Is it possible to connect directly using the wireless network between IPAD and my IMAC and not go through the web link?

CrAkD
Apr 20, 2010, 05:34 PM
I bought jump to desktop today. Beats the hell out of rdp lite and it's a universal app for both iPad and iPhone

supermanx
Apr 20, 2010, 06:30 PM
I have to give props to Jump Desktop. After doing the same research as you, I arrived at Jump Desktop based on reviews and the stated features. It's very good and very similar to Logmein, but a third of the price.

Also, Jump is $10, whereas Logmein is a whopping $30.

Hope this helps,
Aaron
I love jump, my biggest issue with logmein is that it requires a "server" install on every machine you want to connect to. Jump is a straight rdp client and extremely fast.

sinsin07
Apr 20, 2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks for this little tidbit! I was going to buy it for my iPad and will gladly wait for the free upgrade. Also honestly I prefer Vnc over rdp since I've never had a vnc server crash and it works in Linux/Mac/windows Which are all operating systems I support.

Oooh hold on there. It is only free upgrade if you brought it before April 3rd. I contacted the company last week.

danpass
Apr 20, 2010, 08:17 PM
Mocha's RDP is up, effective Apr 20 :D

nsorrelle
Apr 20, 2010, 08:29 PM
I use Mocha VNC and it works fairly well. It makes me wish the iPad could support a bluetooth mouse. That would be amazing.

HXGuy
Apr 20, 2010, 08:37 PM
so I got LogMeIn - but I'm experiencing a lot of stutter while I'm browsing web pages and switching between programs on my IPAD. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Is it possible to connect directly using the wireless network between IPAD and my IMAC and not go through the web link?

Wait what? You are trying to browse the internet on your desktop THRU the iPad? That isn't going to work very smooth...with LogmeIn or with any remote desktop app as far as I know.

The remote desktop apps are a way to gain quick access to something, its not meant to be able to use your desktop as if you are sitting in front of it speed/performance wise. Maybe Im wrong and other remote desktop apps are better but this has been my experience with LogmeIn.

jeffy777
Apr 20, 2010, 08:50 PM
Wait what? You are trying to browse the internet on your desktop THRU the iPad? That isn't going to work very smooth...with LogmeIn or with any remote desktop app as far as I know.

The remote desktop apps are a way to gain quick access to something, its not meant to be able to use your desktop as if you are sitting in front of it speed/performance wise. Maybe Im wrong and other remote desktop apps are better but this has been my experience with LogmeIn.

This is correct. No remote desktop app is going to be 100% silky smooth, no matter what device you're using it on. Maybe in the future, but not yet.

pooryou
Apr 20, 2010, 09:07 PM
If I'm not mistaken, LogMeIn requires special server software running on any computer you want to connect to. That was a dealbreaker for me; with iTeleport (and presumably any VNC client) the server is already built into OSX.

utopianbl
Apr 20, 2010, 09:38 PM

Lol. The idea is definitely not to browse the Internet using my iMac while on my iPad, but I was testing/trying to push logmein's limit. I bring it up because some here were stating that they were able to getting it working smooth, just wanted to see if I was doing something not right.

HXGuy
Apr 20, 2010, 09:44 PM
I would definitely be interested in another app if it worked that smooth, I mean why not right?

huggies
Apr 20, 2010, 09:59 PM
Very interested to hear more about the lag on these apps. One of the key things we'd like to do with an ipad is process through all the thousands of photos on our imac that we are woefully behind on. Basic looking in preview, coverflow, etc. and then potentially even working in iphoto/photoshop elements.

Now I've used vnc solutions a few years ago, and the lag definitely makes a difference. Is anyone using ipad plus one of these solutions for this use case of going through photos?

I know the camera kit for ipad is shipping as well, but I still like the general idea of trying to do this through vnc/rdp if possible. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance! This is one of the key things we're looking to figure out before deciding on an ipad purchase (we currently don't have a laptop).

Dorv
Apr 21, 2010, 12:50 AM
I've been using iTapRDP on my iPhone for a while now, and love the iPad client.

Does more than everything I need for connecting my facility control computers at work, but I've never had much of a need to get back to my computers at home from my iPad. Yet.

aperry
Apr 21, 2010, 05:48 AM
There's no reason why it's any more or less likely to crash than some third-party server, other than that it was developed by the world's largest software maker, which presumably has put some considerable care and testing into it's development. (tongue-in-cheek intentional...)

The world's largest software company that also develops and understands better than anyone the OS that RDP ships with. I'd say this gives RDP a decided advantage in quality, and this isn't only in theory but also in practice as many VNC products have proven to be buggy. Heck, Vista didn't have any VNC products working in service mode for several months after release because it incorporatedw new security features.

bob2222
Apr 21, 2010, 06:37 AM
There are 6-8 direct remote desktop apps (eliminating VNC type apps for now) in the iPad section of the App store and overall they are similar in price and rating.

My favorite so far is Mocha's RDP app on the iphone but I don't see it (yet, I suppose) in the App store for iPad.

So which one do you have and what features stand out? Why did you pick that one?

Thanks.

edit:

Based on an iTunes search of 'remote desktop' I added a poll of the programs that I believe do not use a 3rd party client (like VNC) with the exception of LogMeIn considering its been mentioned a number of times already.

edit2:

well Mocha's RDP is up, effective Apr 20 :D

Works great. Easy to setup and has performed well. I had free version of Mocha RDP Lite, but wouldn't fit the screen properly. No worries with iTap.

tonyburkhart
Apr 21, 2010, 06:47 AM
I use the iPad optimized versions of RDP Lite and VNC Lite

I love both of them, for what they are and because they're free!

ScottFitz
Apr 21, 2010, 07:12 AM
I'm excited. My company uses a web-based customer database package called Sales Logix. Due to my constant nagging last year, they implemented a web-based version. With that, I was able to then access from my MBA and my iMac back at my remote office. Yippie Skippy.

Now with the iPad and a suitable VNC, I can leave the Air at home and just travel with the iPad. With 3G, I'll be able to put together a quotation from just about anywhere.

Could I just have bought an aircard for my MBAir? Yep. But, I just don't need to access this program that often to justify carrying a laptop with me, even if it is an Air. My biggest complaint about the air is it's lack of multi-media play time before it overheats and the video gets insanely choppy. I use the Air while traveling 90% as an entertainment device, surfing the net, etc. The iPad appears to be a better entertainment device, assuming it won't heat up to stutter while watching over 10 min of youtube or something.

danpass
Apr 21, 2010, 10:03 AM
Very interested to hear more about the lag on these apps. One of the key things we'd like to do with an ipad is process through all the thousands of photos on our imac that we are woefully behind on. Basic looking in preview, coverflow, etc. and then potentially even working in iphoto/photoshop elements.

Now I've used vnc solutions a few years ago, and the lag definitely makes a difference. Is anyone using ipad plus one of these solutions for this use case of going through photos?

I know the camera kit for ipad is shipping as well, but I still like the general idea of trying to do this through vnc/rdp if possible. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance! This is one of the key things we're looking to figure out before deciding on an ipad purchase (we currently don't have a laptop).

would you be sorting pics IN the laptop or THRU it?

it sounds like THRU it and if so then the lag would be mostly the same due to the connection.

But yes I'm also seeing in this thread that some apps themselves introduce lag.

But I've also seen it when I connect to the work computer using the web browser http connection into the VNC server at work.

Yet its much more fluid when connecting thru an internal (or 'system service') protocol like the OS's own remote desktop client over the same internet connection.

reducing the overhead is the primary reason I would like to stay with a system service level app on the iPad.

huggies
Apr 21, 2010, 03:36 PM
would you be sorting pics IN the laptop or THRU it?

it sounds like THRU it and if so then the lag would be mostly the same due to the connection.

But yes I'm also seeing in this thread that some apps themselves introduce lag.

But I've also seen it when I connect to the work computer using the web browser http connection into the VNC server at work.

Yet its much more fluid when connecting thru an internal (or 'system service') protocol like the OS's own remote desktop client over the same internet connection.

reducing the overhead is the primary reason I would like to stay with a system service level app on the iPad.

Use case would be:

1. Connecting from ipad to imac via one of these solutions.
2. Doing our sorting, potential iphoto/photoshop work on the ipad (through vnc/rdp) which is controlling the imac.

sbl
Apr 21, 2010, 07:55 PM
I used iTeleport on my ipad. It worked well. The only problem was about the partial support of bluetooth keyboard. I can only type letters on my bluetooth keyboard but arrow keys (up, down, left and right) of BT keyboard will lose function. Using a real keyboard is critical to do serious task such as coding through remote control. Without arrow key, I can not do my work efficiently. As far as I know, logmein has the same problem. Does anyone know any remote control app can support both text and arrow keys of external keyboard? Thanks!

eTip
Apr 21, 2010, 08:19 PM
Doesn't seem fair (or logical given that it's the highest rated RDP solution in the app store) that Jump isn't an explicit choice in the poll.

DaneGuy
Apr 21, 2010, 08:20 PM
Doesn't seem fair (or logical given that it's the highest rated RDP solution in the app store) that Jump isn't an explicit choice in the poll.

Agreed. I'd actually like to hear more about it and how it compares to Desktop Connect and Logmein.

b00st3d
Apr 21, 2010, 08:24 PM
how secure is jumpdesktop. from what i gather on their site, a piece of software is installed onto the machine you want to connect to. i would like to remote control a few machines at some sites i manage which contain some pretty sensitive data. i currently use gotomypc because it has a pretty large company backing it (citrix) and from what i have read is extremely secure. the bad side is that there is no ipad version for connecting and you have to pay per machine.

danpass
Apr 21, 2010, 08:26 PM

well crap. maybe I thought it needed a VNC server? (but it doesn't look like it does)

no excuse and no edit option that I see for the poll :(

thankins
Apr 21, 2010, 08:32 PM
how secure is jumpdesktop. from what i gather on their site, a piece of software is installed onto the machine you want to connect to. i would like to remote control a few machines at some sites i manage which contain some pretty sensitive data. i currently use gotomypc because it has a pretty large company backing it (citrix) and from what i have read is extremely secure. the bad side is that there is no ipad version for connecting and you have to pay per machine.

Its secure - you don't have to install the software on the site machines. If you have a static IP (or dyndns) and RDP setup for those machines you can just use it as an RDP client (much like mstsc within windows)

I use it for the 45 clients I manage at my job. Works great

eTip
Apr 21, 2010, 08:38 PM
I am currently only using Jump to connect to my PC while at home and on the same network. This did not require any software install on the PC or the Google account login. Only used it for a day but I have no complaints so far. It seems stable and intuitive. I like that it passes through audio to the iPad. Video was almost - but not quite - watchable but that was expected. I like the little circle that is used to move the cursor around.

I wanted to go with Desktop Connect since it is both VNC and RDP but it has less stars, a TON of one star reviews, lots of complaints about slow speed and seemingly less frequent updates.

eTip
Apr 21, 2010, 08:45 PM
well crap. maybe I thought it needed a VNC server? (but it doesn't look like it does)

no excuse and no edit option that I see for the poll :(

Sorry, didn't mean to come down on you. I had a hard time sorting out what was what in the app store. Even when searching "rdp" it seems like vnc solutions come up and vice versa. Then the descriptions don't always make it clear either.

Thanks for starting this thread. It did help me make a decision - along with the reviews in the app store.

sixth
Apr 21, 2010, 09:07 PM
I am surprised not more people are using Wyse Pocket cloud. I use it now on my iPhone and like it and until this thread never heard of Jump, I am going to try it out when my 3G shows up. Wyse really pushes their app hard as being the best compression over 3G connections.

danpass
Apr 21, 2010, 09:08 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to come down on you. I had a hard time sorting out what was what in the app store. Even when searching "rdp" it seems like vnc solutions come up and vice versa. Then the descriptions don't always make it clear either.

Thanks for starting this thread. It did help me make a decision - along with the reviews in the app store.

I was more disappointed with myself. I found my written list and it has Jump off to the side to put after the iTap entries and I obviously didn't put it in.

I saw a lot of potential for remoting with the iPhone and the iPad just takes that potential right where it needs to be. I figured a thread about the remote apps would let the cream rise to the top (so to speak).

and I (nor anyone else) would have to buy multiple apps lol

pmcdn
Apr 21, 2010, 09:30 PM
Based on this thread, I decided to purchase the LogMeIn app for my Ipad. So far, it is really great! I like that the setup to my macbook pro was super simple. My goal is to use my Ipad for meetings with new clients and be able to access my MBP if needed. I think it will workout just fine.

avaloncourt
Apr 21, 2010, 09:58 PM
I have to say I am a die-hard Logmein user but, based on this thread, I decided to give Jump Desktop a try. It is GREAT! I'm still waiting for my 3G so I put it on my iPhone 3G. It was very responsive and did great with control. I happen to like the little finger target. That made mouse-pointing so much easier. Setup was also insanely simple and uses my Gmail address and the aggregator for the remote PCs. The fact that it passes audio is also a plus. I'm sold.

DaneGuy
Apr 21, 2010, 09:59 PM
Can anyone tell me the difference between VNC and RDP and why one is or isn't better than the other? :confused:

danpass
Apr 21, 2010, 10:10 PM
Can anyone tell me the difference between VNC and RDP and why one is or isn't better than the other? :confused:

with the VNC protocol you need a program running on the target computer.

with RDP you utilize the remote desktop protocol in the OS. more stable and smoother in my experience

DaneGuy
Apr 21, 2010, 10:11 PM

with RDP you utilize the remote desktop protocol in the OS. more stable and smoother in my experience

Excellent. Thanks.

danpass
Apr 21, 2010, 10:31 PM
Excellent. Thanks.

sure and as a follow up that explains why various app descriptions say it won't work with Win Basic, Home and Home Prem versions as the RDP is active in the Pro, Ultimate versions.

I'm trying to get a hack I found on google for Vista Home Prem functioning :D

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 11:42 PM

No, that is very misleading. VNC is the remote desktop protocol built into OSX, and DOES NOT require any additional software.

gillybean
Apr 21, 2010, 11:51 PM
No, that is very misleading. VNC is the remote desktop protocol built into OSX, and DOES NOT require any additional software.

He was probably referring to Windows, where Remote Desktop is built in and VNC is not.

HXGuy
Apr 21, 2010, 11:52 PM
I have to say I am a die-hard Logmein user but, based on this thread, I decided to give Jump Desktop a try. It is GREAT! I'm still waiting for my 3G so I put it on my iPhone 3G. It was very responsive and did great with control. I happen to like the little finger target. That made mouse-pointing so much easier. Setup was also insanely simple and uses my Gmail address and the aggregator for the remote PCs. The fact that it passes audio is also a plus. I'm sold.

So you like Jump better? Does Jump work with OSX?

How would you compare it to LogmeIn? What do you notice better/worse?

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 11:57 PM
He was probably referring to Windows, where Remote Desktop is built in and VNC is not.

Yeah probably, but nothing in the question mentioned Windows, so that poor guy got the wrong info. This is a Mac site after all.

DaneGuy
Apr 22, 2010, 04:12 AM
Yeah probably, but nothing in the question mentioned Windows, so that poor guy got the wrong info. This is a Mac site after all.

I have a PC. Born and bred PC owner. :D

ctt1wbw
Apr 22, 2010, 05:58 AM
I bought Jump Desktop yesterday. Since I'm Google-free, I decided to log in via the computer's IP address. It works great and is very smooth.

FYI, you just have to remember to let any RDP associated program through the Windows firewall.

pooryou
Apr 22, 2010, 06:19 AM
I have a PC. Born and bred PC owner. :D

Sorry ;)

avaloncourt
Apr 22, 2010, 06:55 AM
So you like Jump better?

Yes, from what I've done with it so far I'm impressed. As I mentioned, I don't presently have my iPad yet so I have to compare iPhone usage with both Logmein and Jump.

Does Jump work with OSX?

No, it's a Window's based system which is what I'm connecting to all the time. I've never had a need for the Mac side as I'm always connecting from the Mac to a remote PC and not the other way around.

How would you compare it to LogmeIn?[/QUOTE]

So far I see that it's more responsive and more accurate with finger "selection" and "clicking." Jump has a little finger target circle to help you move the pointer around. Some people seem to find a a bit distracting but I have found that it helps me be more productive by not having to waste time reselecting or reclicking because it wasn't quite right the first time.

What do you notice better/worse?

I've been using a Logmein free account which doesn't allow for audio. That's available to the Pro account and the Logmein Ignition application doesn't even allow for audio even with a Pro account. I use Logmein on my MBP a lot so it could be available but it's not. Jump allows you to decide if you want audio transfer or not.

The responsiveness was noticeable right away to me.

I haven't found any real negatives yet but I'm sure something will come along.

Edited to update: I just got to work and discovered some issues on my computer after running Jump on it. I had various software running and a few were reporting video errors (obviously due to the driver jump is using). Probably associated with that was also an issue where when I logged in I had to wait for Windows 7 to reorganize itself. There were a lot of program hangs which eventually resolved themselves.

Tech-Boy
Apr 22, 2010, 07:12 AM
What is the difference between iTap Vnc and iTap RDP?

netdog
Apr 22, 2010, 08:18 AM
What is the difference between iTap Vnc and iTap RDP?

iTap VNC can work with a Mac or PC, whereas RDP is for Windows native Desktop Protocol.

supermanx
Apr 22, 2010, 09:12 AM
Edited to update: I just got to work and discovered some issues on my computer after running Jump on it. I had various software running and a few were reporting video errors (obviously due to the driver jump is using). Probably associated with that was also an issue where when I logged in I had to wait for Windows 7 to reorganize itself. There were a lot of program hangs which eventually resolved themselves.

Have you used remote desktop to connect to your computer before? There are some programs that do not like to be run in an RDP session, media center is one and will often complain.

moviecouple
Apr 22, 2010, 12:18 PM
Well... I need to make a decision today on what would be the best desktop connection software.

I am running a Mac, so it needs to run under that latest OS. I just need something that will remotely (from my iPad) allow me to access files on my computer and also allow me to run programs remotely... Such as Comic Book Lover, Safari, Calibre, and so forth.

Seems to be Logmein Ignition and Desktop Connect are getting the most votes here. On the iPad App Store, Desktop Connect seems to be outselling Logmein Ignition.

Just quickly, what would you choose for my criteria and why?

avaloncourt
Apr 22, 2010, 12:37 PM
Have you used remote desktop to connect to your computer before? There are some programs that do not like to be run in an RDP session, media center is one and will often complain.

I use Logmein regularly with this computer and have never had a problem. Strict RDP on this comptuer, no. The ones that were all screwed up this morning were Outlook, Sage ACT!, Microsoft Word and Explorer. Nothing there is media oriented. They were all open when I tried Jump. Everything looked great on the Jump end but when I got to work and logged in the computer probably churned for nearly 10 minutes correcting the issues and Windows Explorer had also hung.

avaloncourt
Apr 22, 2010, 12:38 PM
Well... I need to make a decision today on what would be the best desktop connection software.

I am running a Mac, so it needs to run under that latest OS. I just need something that will remotely (from my iPad) allow me to access files on my computer and also allow me to run programs remotely... Such as Comic Book Lover, Safari, Calibre, and so forth.

Seems to be Logmein Ignition and Desktop Connect are getting the most votes here. On the iPad App Store, Desktop Connect seems to be outselling Logmein Ignition.

Just quickly, what would you choose for my criteria and why?

Based on my experience described aboved I would say that Logmein would be the best route. You're not doing anything that you need audio and if you use the Logmein Free account your only cost would be the application itself.

moviecouple
Apr 22, 2010, 12:42 PM
Is there one that also does audio and video that would be something recommended over Logmein Ignition?

DaneGuy
Apr 22, 2010, 12:51 PM
Based on my experience described aboved I would say that Logmein would be the best route. You're not doing anything that you need audio and if you use the Logmein Free account your only cost would be the application itself.

Logmein is a big investment! I'd rather start with something cheaper first. Jump is looking pretty good for RDP.

pooryou
Apr 22, 2010, 04:12 PM
I don't see any advantage of LogMeIn over a standard VNC client, in fact I would say VNC is superior.

HXGuy
Apr 22, 2010, 04:19 PM
... in fact I would say VNC is superior.

WHY?

I keep seeing people say one is better than another but they never say why...that is the important part. I have LogmeIn and I like it, but if there is something better out there, I would certainly use it.

I like LogmeIn's interface, with the screen moving around and the mouse pointer remaining fixed in the center, I find it easy to navigate that way. The only thing I could see an improvement on is the smoothness of it, it sort of renderings the pages in sections when moving to a different Space (in Spaces) or switching to a different application.

CrAkD
Apr 22, 2010, 04:24 PM
Do you guys know how to keep a fios router from changing ip addresses? I couldn't remote in today at work and I thought it was weird. When I came home and checked the router changed it's ip I updated the ip and now it works perfect again. Anyone know a work around for this other then having to constantly check?

aperry
Apr 22, 2010, 04:24 PM
I don't see any advantage of LogMeIn over a standard VNC client, in fact I would say VNC is superior.

I would disagree. I've never used a VNC program that has the performance and features of Logmein.

Logmein "just works", whereas mu experience with VNC has been a constant struggle with graphical issues, bugs, lockups, lag, etc.

(By the way, I still recommend Jump Desktop if you're only connecting to Windows computers. At a third of the price it's a better value compared to Logmein)

pyrodex
Apr 22, 2010, 04:26 PM
Oooh hold on there. It is only free upgrade if you brought it before April 3rd. I contacted the company last week.

I got the original one when it dropped from 25$ to 4.99$ so I've owned it a long time.

moviecouple
Apr 22, 2010, 04:42 PM
What would you recommend then for just a VNC client for Mac?

Also, on Logmein Ignition... Would I be able to launch ComicBook Lover, search my library of comics, open
one up and view it? That is something that is possible, right?

HXGuy
Apr 22, 2010, 04:52 PM
What would you recommend then for just a VNC client for Mac?

Also, on Logmein Ignition... Would I be able to launch ComicBook Lover, search my library of comics, open
one up and view it? That is something that is possible, right?

I think everything is possible to open and use just like you were sitting in front of your computer. The question is not if it will work, but how smoothly will it work. For example, you can even go to websites that have Flash through LogmeIn and they work, but its so choppy that it really makes it unusable.

gillybean
Apr 22, 2010, 04:59 PM
Do you guys know how to keep a fios router from changing ip addresses? I couldn't remote in today at work and I thought it was weird. When I came home and checked the router changed it's ip I updated the ip and now it works perfect again. Anyone know a work around for this other then having to constantly check?

If you have LogMeIn, it works even if your IP changes.

Dr Kevorkian94
Apr 22, 2010, 05:02 PM
log me in is very expensive, but i would get it if: 1) say im watching a video can i here the audio? 2) my mac is connected to the internet via my airport can i still use it while out my wifi and use 3g, because i have a vnc app and it wont let me do that.:D

gillybean
Apr 22, 2010, 05:05 PM
log me in is very expensive, but i would get it if: 1) say im watching a video can i here the audio? 2) my mac is connected to the internet via my airport can i still use it while out my wifi and use 3g, because i have a vnc app and it wont let me do that.:D

If you want to stream video and hear audio, Air Video is going to work much much better than any remote desktop or VNC app.

My *guess* for the second question is that yes it would let you do that. The LogMeIn software on your computer automatically tells the LogMeIn site where the computer is, so when you log in from elsewhere (e.g. over 3g) the LogMeIn site knows where to connect you to.

moviecouple
Apr 22, 2010, 05:06 PM
How would reading a book be? Since all you would be doing is scrolling up and down, left and right, and turning pages. I would think that wouldn't be an issue with choppiness. What about websites that are just text and pics... Like TUAW, Engadget, or Dark Horizons?

pooryou
Apr 22, 2010, 05:12 PM
WHY?

I keep seeing people say one is better than another but they never say why...that is the important part. I have LogmeIn and I like it, but if there is something better out there, I would certainly use it.

I like LogmeIn's interface, with the screen moving around and the mouse pointer remaining fixed in the center, I find it easy to navigate that way. The only thing I could see an improvement on is the smoothness of it, it sort of renderings the pages in sections when moving to a different Space (in Spaces) or switching to a different application.

LogMeIn requires software running on the host, VNC is already running.
I'm talking about Mac OSX here of course, this is a Mac site after all.
If you want to connect to Windows, then substitute RDP.
LogMeIn is a proprietary third party solution, and I don't see any advantage to it.
If you are using it and like it, more power to you.

The mouse pointer thing though is just the UI of the client app, iTeleport works the same way for VNC, for example.

I haven't seen any issues with keeping VNC or RDP up and running or stable.

Of course my use case with any of these is for internal networks. Personally I would never open any of these to outside the LAN.

Dr Kevorkian94
Apr 22, 2010, 05:14 PM
now i have to come up with 30$ damb thats a lot!:eek:

and i read a review on the itunes store that said they were having problems with logme in for mac has anyone else had these problems?

danpass
Apr 22, 2010, 05:25 PM
If you have LogMeIn, it works even if your IP changes.

another solution to the dynamic IP equation is www.no-ip.com

If you have a dynamic (rotating) IP for your home connection (most people do, I do) then you can create the effect of a static IP using www.no-ip.com

What benefit is there to a static IP you ask?

It's a fixed address for the client program (like Desktop Connect) to call to. You never have to wonder what the IP is that day.

A static IP usually incurs a separate charge. By setting up no-ip.com its free and mimics the effect of a static IP by reading your dynamic IP (every 30min I think).

The IP program is set up with a phantom domain name (free) that is actually running on the computer.

The program listens for this name request (instead of listening for the IP), transmits the IP to the client thereby allowing for the connection.

So the program is not talking to no-ip, its talking to the computer just as if you had dialed the IP directly.

This way it does not matter what the IP is that day and its still free.

HXGuy
Apr 22, 2010, 05:29 PM
LogMeIn requires software running on the host, VNC is already running.

Is there a problem with having the software running on the host? Or is it more in prinicple? Looking at "Activity Monitor", LogMeIn is using 7.45MB of real memory, seems like a pretty small footprint.

Of course my use case with any of these is for internal networks. Personally I would never open any of these to outside the LAN.

So VNC does not work unless you are on the same wireless network? I had no idea on that and if it is the case, then something like LogMeIn is much better for my needs as I've accessed my computer (via iPhone) over 3G multiple times to look at a file or invoice from Quickbooks.

CrAkD
Apr 22, 2010, 05:29 PM
another solution to the dynamic IP equation is www.no-ip.com

If you have a dynamic (rotating) IP for your home connection (most people do, I do) then you can create the effect of a static IP using www.no-ip.com

What benefit is there to a static IP you ask?

It's a fixed address for the client program (like Desktop Connect) to call to. You never have to wonder what the IP is that day.

A static IP usually incurs a separate charge. By setting up no-ip.com its free and mimics the effect of a static IP by reading your dynamic IP (every 30min I think).

The IP program is set up with a phantom domain name (free) that is actually running on the computer.

The program listens for this name request (instead of listening for the IP), transmits the IP to the client thereby allowing for the connection.

So the program is not talking to no-ip, its talking to the computer just as if you had dialed the IP directly.

This way it does not matter what the IP is that day and its still free.

Ya know I used no-ip before for an online radio station I just didn't know how it would work for the router. Thanks man!

moviecouple
Apr 22, 2010, 05:30 PM
But you would still need an App to pair with the VNC client. I think that is what we a trying to figure out. What is the best app for the job.

OasisNYK
Apr 22, 2010, 05:37 PM
how does logme in work if your Mac is sleeping? Does the Mac wake up if you initiate a session or do you have to wake it up manually?

I ask because i am a consultant so i won't be home and will most likely be leaving my computer on so I cann access it.

Dr Kevorkian94
Apr 22, 2010, 06:00 PM
one question, i have a mac and its connected to the internet via airport extreme, that is intern connected to my pc downstairs witch is connected directly to the modem. we have rode runner with a dynamic ip, so my question is will logMeIn ignition still work over 3G because i currently have a vnc app and that wont so i dont want to sped the money if that wont work either

danpass
Apr 22, 2010, 06:09 PM
But you would still need an App to pair with the VNC client. I think that is what we a trying to figure out. What is the best app for the job.

yes, for Windows, when using VNC on the pad/phone. according to others the VNC is built-in to OSX.

IMO there is no 3rd party level VNC server that compares to a system level service.

I finally got the RDP hack for Vista Home Premium functioning on the main work computer (which I had been using with UltraVNC) and what. a. major. improvement to now have true RDP over the internet to that computer.

moviecouple
Apr 22, 2010, 06:15 PM
I know how to get VNC working on my Mac. It is now built into the newest OS, but what app are you using on the iPad inconjuction with VNC Server?

danpass
Apr 22, 2010, 06:25 PM
I know how to get VNC working on my Mac. It is now built into the newest OS, but what app are you using on the iPad inconjuction with VNC Server?

no iPad yet.

and I'm looking to avoid VNC specific apps (I use windows PCs)

on my iPhone I'm using Mocha's RDP Lite and VNC Lite.

The VNC Lite has low visual quality and some menus wouldn't pop up though you could see the button having been activated on the host computer.

At home I used the web browser portal to VNC in. Same quality and menu issues, so it wasn't the app or the iPhone.

Overall, while it was functional overall, it was just too tedious to do things on the iPhone so I never bothered to upgrade to a paid version.

The RDP Lite connection though is visually awesome with full functionality. It didn't seem to have any more lag either with the greater detail.

Sfdoddsy
Apr 22, 2010, 08:18 PM
For those using Logmein (or one of the other apps), is it possible to use the mouse and keyboard from the host computer as well as touch from the iPad?

I have Remotetap on my iPhone, and if I want to I can use the Magic Mouse and BT keyboard to navigate. This way the iPad can be used as a simple external display.

jeffy777
Apr 22, 2010, 08:24 PM
For those using Logmein (or one of the other apps), is it possible to use the mouse and keyboard from the host computer as well as touch from the iPad?

I have Remotetap on my iPhone, and if I want to I can use the Magic Mouse and BT keyboard to navigate. This way the iPad can be used as a simple external display.

You can with LogMeIn, but the mouse cursor doesn't move on the iPad screen if you move it on the computer, so that wouldn't really work for you.

pooryou
Apr 22, 2010, 09:16 PM
Is there a problem with having the software running on the host? Or is it more in prinicple? Looking at "Activity Monitor", LogMeIn is using 7.45MB of real memory, seems like a pretty small footprint.

Well that's just my personal preference. The app would have to be running -all- the time so that it's available when you need it. Personally I don't like to have any extra apps running all the time, especially when it's just replicating something that the OS already can do a good job of on its own. If someone doesn't mind having it running all the time, then it's not a negative for them. I still don't like that it's proprietary and goes thru a third party either; to me it just adds complexity that doesn't need to be there. I like to keep things as simple as possible (but not moreso). In my opinion a third party application is more likely to crash (and therefore not available when you need it) than an OS service. However, I am not saying that it is or isn't likely to crash as I have never used LogMeIn.

So VNC does not work unless you are on the same wireless network? I had no idea on that and if it is the case, then something like LogMeIn is much better for my needs as I've accessed my computer (via iPhone) over 3G multiple times to look at a file or invoice from Quickbooks.

No that's not true. First of all I didn't say wireless network I said local network, could be wired or wireless or a combination of both. Second, that's just MY personal preference; any of these solutions will work outside the local network if you set them up to. I personally don't like opening my computers up to be accessible outside the local network, for (mostly philosophical I suppose) security reasons. (In other words I am paranoid ;))

Dorv
Apr 22, 2010, 11:45 PM
No that's not true. First of all I didn't say wireless network I said local network, could be wired or wireless or a combination of both. Second, that's just MY personal preference; any of these solutions will work outside the local network if you set them up to. I personally don't like opening my computers up to be accessible outside the local network, for (mostly philosophical I suppose) security reasons. (In other words I am paranoid ;))

The upside to using LogMeIn is all about ease of set up. Its main appeal is for folks who just want a "it works" solution without having to set port forwarding rules, or trying to keep settings updated to follow dynamic IP addresses.

I use iTapRDP to get into computers at work that I manage, but haven't felt the need to set up VNC to get into my Macs at home (If I need to, I usually need more functionality, and use Back to My Mac on my MBP).

I also think, and just from anecdotal evidence, and not from use, that LogMeIn provides upgraded security.

People tunnel into networks across the world every day. Your paranoid is justified, but it's not difficult to stay secure if you set things up correctly.

OasisNYK
Apr 23, 2010, 07:29 AM
For those using logme in - how does it react if the host computer falls asleep?

avaloncourt
Apr 23, 2010, 07:42 AM
For those using logme in - how does it react if the host computer falls asleep?

Are you talking full sleep or just some of the power saving features activating? If it's full sleep you won't be able to get to the computer because its network connectivity will have stopped. It needs to have a connection to the Logmein servers to identify its status and IP address. If that isn't happening Logmein will report the computer as offline.

ewiser
Apr 23, 2010, 08:01 AM
I tried using other VCN clients but LogMeIn lets me drill through any router ports to get to the registered computer on my account. Dead simple and really works great. The 3g speed can be an issue with the iPhone but WiFi works great.

WLS
Apr 23, 2010, 06:46 PM
I very interested in using a remote app on the iPad but have some questions.
My home machine is a Windows 7 Home Premium machine. I understand that I would have to have at least Professional to use the native RDP service. An upgrade to that would be a pain as I would have to buy the upgrade and then reformat my system drive and reinstall. Not eager to do that. I think it would be cool to have my Pad work as an OSX machine so I am considering getting a Mac Mini to serve as the remote computer and a HTPC. What would be the best remote program to do that? I believe the Mac uses the VNC protocol for remote operations. would this be better than my Windows machine for this purpose? Any issues I should be aware of.

ZZ Bottom
Apr 23, 2010, 07:22 PM
My home machine is a Windows 7 Home Premium machine. I understand that I would have to have at least Professional to use the native RDP service. An upgrade to that would be a pain as I would have to buy the upgrade and then reformat my system drive and reinstall. Not eager to do that. I think it would be cool to have my Pad work as an OSX machine so I am considering getting a Mac Mini to serve as the remote computer and a HTPC. What would be the best remote program to do that? I believe the Mac uses the VNC protocol for remote operations. would this be better than my Windows machine for this purpose? Any issues I should be aware of.

I concur with this question. If I'm not mistaken LogMeIn works better with Windows than OSX. I'm looking for the ideal app for use with a Mac mini primarily.

orama
Apr 23, 2010, 07:34 PM
Another Vote for Desktop Connect :apple:

WLS
Apr 23, 2010, 09:13 PM
yes, for Windows, when using VNC on the pad/phone. according to others the VNC is built-in to OSX.

IMO there is no 3rd party level VNC server that compares to a system level service.

I finally got the RDP hack for Vista Home Premium functioning on the main work computer (which I had been using with UltraVNC) and what. a. major. improvement to now have true RDP over the internet to that computer.
really? Is there one for winows 7 or will it work for that?

Never mind I found that there are several patches to attempt this but there is no guaranty that the next update won't wipe it out. I will continue to study the issue.

Legolover64
Apr 23, 2010, 11:33 PM
I'm using iSSH, mostly because the VNC is a free component of it, and I use it for sysadmin work anyways. It's decent, but nowhere near what I want. Sadly, my host computer has a large resolution, which is probably the cause of the delay, but my MacBook Pro can access it pretty smoothly through Apple's Screen Sharing.

pooryou
Apr 23, 2010, 11:38 PM
People tunnel into networks across the world every day. Your paranoid is justified, but it's not difficult to stay secure if you set things up correctly.

Yeah, I know. I could set up any of them correctly no problem, but I'm still paranoid. I guess if I needed to use it badly enough I would set it up, but I would still disable it again if I wasn't going to use it for a while.

iRabbit
Apr 23, 2010, 11:52 PM
I use LogMeIn already from home to work, from MBA to Mac Pro... so I plan to try their iPad app...

However, Wormhole Remote looked interesting to me...

Anyone try it?

jeffy777
Apr 23, 2010, 11:55 PM

Just so you know: Windows runs VNC servers just fine (such as the free Tight VNC). I've been running Tight VNC on Windows machines for years and it never crashes and is quite smooth. I know that doesn't answer the 2nd part of your post though.

WLS
Apr 24, 2010, 08:28 AM
Just so you know: Windows runs VNC servers just fine (such as the free Tight VNC). I've been running Tight VNC on Windows machines for years and it never crashes and is quite smooth. I know that doesn't answer the 2nd part of your post though.

But if installed Tight VNC which of the remote APPS would work with it? Any that use VNC? I want as smooth operation as possible.

vw195
Apr 24, 2010, 09:10 AM
RealVNC uses AES encryption all the way through and their iPad update came through last night! Yay! I think this is the most secure solution out there. LogMeIn maybe just a secure, but i worry about going over 3rd party servers. Just wish I had my iPad to test it out. But hopefully Friday.

Edit: their app name is VNC Viewer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrFSpceWIUQ

danpass
Apr 24, 2010, 10:07 AM
But if installed Tight VNC which of the remote APPS would work with it? Any that use VNC? I want as smooth operation as possible.

Theoretically yes, any of them.

moviecouple
Apr 24, 2010, 10:20 AM
I too am torn on which one to by for my Mac OSX. Looks to be that there are 2 or 3 that are promising and people seem to like.

1. Logmein Ignition
2. Desktop Connect
3. VNC Viewer (now with full iPad support)

All seem to have good reviews. Price isn't the issue... performance and usability are. Here the poll clearly shows Logmein Ignition is the front runner. On the app store Desktop Connect is at #55 and Logmein is at #66.

What to do, what to do?

WLS
Apr 24, 2010, 10:48 AM
I too am torn on which one to by for my Mac OSX. Looks to be that there are 2 or 3 that are promising and people seem to like.

1. Logmein Ignition
2. Desktop Connect
3. VNC Viewer (now with full iPad support)

All seem to have good reviews. Price isn't the issue... performance and usability are. Here the poll clearly shows Logmein Ignition is the front runner. On the app store Desktop Connect is at #55 and Logmein is at #66.

What to do, what to do?

I viewed the youtube presentation for VNC/Real VNC viewer and it looks very nice but doesn't the Wiki comparison chart say that only the enterprise version works with OSX? Does that need updating?

I'd like to see a good comparison of all 3

moviecouple
Apr 24, 2010, 10:57 AM
I was hoping that someone on here has bought at least the 1st two apps on my list, who is running Mac OSX, and can give and honest first hand review and opinion to this. I know that VNC Viewer is fairly new to the iPad and wasn't expecting anyone yet to have used it.

imapfsr
Apr 24, 2010, 10:58 AM
Forgive me as I know this isnt completely in line with this topic but close....
I havent used my LogMeIn for some time and installed it on my iPad. I was able to get past the first 'log me in' where it lists my MacMini and then it gives you the progress bar. I then enter the second login info and it wont log in and says check your log in credentials. Is this my computer name and password I just cant seem to remember. Thanks in advance for your help.

vw195
Apr 24, 2010, 11:50 AM
I viewed the youtube presentation for VNC/Real VNC viewer and it looks very nice but doesn't the Wiki comparison chart say that only the enterprise version works with OSX? Does that need updating?

I'd like to see a good comparison of all 3

Yes, sorry. I am using VNC Personal at home on my Win7 machine. I like it but it may not be worth ponying up $50 for the server and $10 for vnc viewer for ipad. If I were in your boat I would look at another solution probably, although for a win7 machine I would definitly consider realvnc. at $30 + $10.

Of course I bought RealVNC a few years so it was a no-brainer for me

WLS
Apr 24, 2010, 12:24 PM
Yes, sorry. I am using VNC Personal at home on my Win7 machine. I like it but it may not be worth ponying up $50 for the server and $10 for vnc viewer for ipad. If I were in your boat I would look at another solution probably, although for a win7 machine I would definitly consider realvnc. at $30 + $10.

Of course I bought RealVNC a few years so it was a no-brainer for me

I'm thinking of getting VNC personal for my win 7 machine and the VNC viewer for the ipad, it looks like a good match. Question though if I get a Mac Mini then do I still have to get the Mac REAL VNC enterprise server or can I use the builtin VNC of Mac OS X ?

aygwm
Apr 24, 2010, 02:04 PM
For anyone thinking of going the cheaper route, you are likely to get burned. Case in point: iTap. I have been trying to get this sucker working for over 3 weeks. It should be very easy, but it is not. I have yet to connect. Customer Support? Fergetaboutit. I was conversing with someone who knew less about the technology than I did, which is admittedly not much. If you want to wait a week in between responses, ITap is wonderful! If you absolutely have to rely on your purchase to work out of the box, iTap sucks. I have used other VNC programs before, and never had a problem. Completely disgusted, I bit the bullet and paid $29.99 for LogMeIn. I was up and running in 2 minutes. Why porn is not allowed in the app store, and this worthless app is okayed makes no sense. iTap's developer is the one that is obscene. Move along nothing to see here...:eek:

avaloncourt
Apr 24, 2010, 02:10 PM
For anyone thinking of going the cheaper route, you are likely to get burned. Case in point: iTap. I have been trying to get this sucker working for over 3 weeks. It should be very easy, but it is not. I have yet to connect. Customer Support? Fergetaboutit. I was conversing with someone who knew less about the technology than I did, which is admittedly not much. If you want to wait a week in between responses, ITap is wonderful! If you absolutely have to rely on your purchase to work out of the box, iTap sucks. I have used other VNC programs before, and never had a problem. Completely disgusted, I bit the bullet and paid $29.99 for LogMeIn. I was up and running in 2 minutes. Why porn is not allowed in the app store, and this worthless app is okayed makes no sense. iTap's developer is the one that is obscene. Move along nothing to see here...:eek:

From the latest reviews on iTap it doesn't appear to have any issues. People certainly seem to be giving it positive ratings. Most likely what you're running into is configuring your router for port forwarding correctly. With traditional RDP you have to do that all yourself. Logmein creates a connection from the computer side of the router eliminating the need for port forwarding. Configuring a router can be challenging and if you're not technically inclined you'll never get it done without someone helping you. Using RDP is easy. Configuring for it by someone who doesn't understand the networking requirements is not. I'm guessing that's where your issues lie. What makes it worse is that every router is different in some way about how it is to be done. There's no even playing field in the configuration. Have you tried http://portforward.com/ The site can be very helpful for people who need it.

You might want to start here: http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/Remote_Desktop/Remote_Desktopindex.htm Ignore the advertisement that comes immediately after selecting the router and continue to the actual information.

r0k
Apr 24, 2010, 02:20 PM
I use remotetap which is still only an iPhone app in 2x mode.

vw195
Apr 24, 2010, 02:21 PM
I'm thinking of getting VNC personal for my win 7 machine and the VNC viewer for the ipad, it looks like a good match. Question though if I get a Mac Mini then do I still have to get the Mac REAL VNC enterprise server or can I use the builtin VNC of Mac OS X ?

I believe you should be able to use the builtin client, but tIm not 100% sure. You should drop the RealVNC people a support question. They answered a couple I had very quickly. Good luck

colmaclean
Apr 24, 2010, 02:34 PM
VNC Viewer is a decent price and also universal - works for iPad and iPhone.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vnc-viewer/id352019548?mt=8

danpass
Apr 27, 2010, 10:57 PM
any more feedback?

firewood
Apr 27, 2010, 11:31 PM
Has anyone here tried iRAPP on a Mac so they can connect to it using an RDP client on their iPad?

The RDP protocol is supposedly a lot faster than VNC on a PC. Is the same true on a Mac?

pooryou
Apr 28, 2010, 02:50 AM
iTeleport for iPhone got updated to a Universal version so it's iPad native now as well, haven't really gotten to use it yet but seems really nice. I believe they also have a configuration app like LogMeIn, but I haven't tried it.

Chupa Chupa
Apr 28, 2010, 05:28 AM
iTeleport for iPhone got updated to a Universal version so it's iPad native now as well, haven't really gotten to use it yet but seems really nice. I believe they also have a configuration app like LogMeIn, but I haven't tried it.

I'd love to hear a full report on iTeleport. I tried Mocha VNC lite but the mousing is erratic and seems to have a memory bug or else it doesn't like to be in full resolution.

Kajover
Apr 28, 2010, 06:00 AM
TeamViewer

Nitromaster
Apr 28, 2010, 04:16 PM
Just noticed these remote apps....and kinda really want an iPad now!

Thinking more of Log Me In at the moment...

Anyone got an idea of what data usage would be like for say an hour using Log Me In on an iPad with either Windows/Mac?

(and any idea of iphone/ipod touch respective usage would be nice as well if possible)

Thanks

Johnny82
Apr 28, 2010, 06:25 PM
I'd love to hear a full report on iTeleport. I tried Mocha VNC lite but the mousing is erratic and seems to have a memory bug or else it doesn't like to be in full resolution.

I've been using iTeleport and I love it! I like the multiple color modes the most. If I am somewhere with a fast connection I'll typically have it up near max, but when the connection is poor I turn it down to the hundreds and I am back in business. The main controls are easy to use. Zooming is super smooth and quick too. I looked into all the others and this one just seamed the best for me.

CaptainWebby
May 1, 2010, 10:11 AM
I'm using Remote Desktop Lite to connect to a PC running Windows Vista at work. It's a pretty awesome program and it was free because it's the Lite version. I don't know what comes with the full version but I've never needed it.

To connect with my MacBook at home while I'm away I use iTeleport Connect. It was $25 in the App Store but worth it. To see my desktop on the iPad and to be able to use it is pretty amazing. My only complaint is probably all my fault. I have the MacBook connected wirelessly at home and, of course, the iPad is connected wirelessly. Those two conditions make for a pretty slow screen refresh rate. I wouldn't watch any video on my iPad with this program. Opening programs and navigating is pretty easy, though.

One odd function of the iTeleport app is that you need a GMail account to use it. I didn't have one and set one up just to use the program. Apparently it uses Google's cloud for mouse and keyboard input. Not sure how that works but it does...

CJW

JaredStrauss
May 1, 2010, 10:26 AM
Right now i am using logmein. Will vnc be much faster for use on the same network?

sinsin07
May 4, 2010, 07:40 PM

I too have some difficulty with this app. When you setup your first computer in the ipad app, you need to set your external IP address to port 3389, not the internal of 192.168.X.X. You also have to make an entry in any firewall to port forward to 3389. My issue is making what itap call's "bookmarks" for multiple computers behind a linksys router. Itap will not allow you to specify another rdp port other than 3389 on the ipad to forward traffic to. You must use 3389. The linksys router will only allow one instance of the 3389 mapped to an internal ip.

I have iteleport RDM and RDM+ and have no issue with specifying different ports.

danpass
May 5, 2010, 11:36 PM
Here is a screenshot from using Mocha's Remote Desktop Lite (ummm ....... don't mind myZenfolio's upload quality lol):

http://www.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p699031419.jpg

quangdiggity
May 6, 2010, 12:22 AM
VNC Viewer is a decent price and also universal - works for iPad and iPhone.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vnc-viewer/id352019548?mt=8

I just bought it and recommend it too. It is well-documented (visit real vnc's website). I like how they implemented gestures. It is very natural to use if you have any experience with the MacBook trackpad. The founders of Real VNC (the makers of vnc viewer) were part of the team that created the VNC protocol.

nikhsub1
May 6, 2010, 12:31 AM
One thing to keep in mind - VNC has to refresh the whole screen for every little thing that you do - it is slow and inefficient. RDP and logmein use coordinates to draw the desktop so there is NO screen redrawing. VNC is OK over local networks but even then it can suck. RDP for windows is by far the fastest most streamline way to work but it has it's drawbacks too. You can not really help a remote user with RDP as it blanks the screen so you can't be on the machine with a end user. With VNC you can and with logmein you can too. There is no one best software, it really depends on exactly what you are going to be doing. In general though logmein is the simplest to configure and pretty easy to use and it does not redraw that desktop which is a good thing.

danpass
May 6, 2010, 07:26 AM
Here is a screenshot from using Mocha's Remote Desktop Lite (ummm ....... don't mind myZenfolio's upload quality lol):

http://www.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p699031419.jpg

That entire post was made using only the iPad. The screenshot, the upload, the link.

danpass
May 6, 2010, 10:35 AM
well so far I only know that I don't want LogMeIn (or any other app that requires another app on the computer)

:o

ctt1wbw
May 6, 2010, 11:07 AM
I'm using Jump right now. it was very easy to set up to use without a putrid gmail account. What I want to do is set up a vpn on my Windows 7 laptop and my iPad. Can you do this with a remote desktop app like Jump?

PathVu
May 6, 2010, 11:18 AM
It's free...

danpass
May 11, 2010, 05:08 PM
op updated

jimboutilier
May 11, 2010, 05:37 PM

Thanks
David

No, they are not fixed. The install fails on many macs and many cannot successful connect to the logmein servers so your Mac always appears off line.

It's still in engineering. So far they are not even sure what's causing it let alone how to fix it.

On the other hand it works great on the majority of machines so if you install it and it works you are good to go. And if not, look for something else.

jumpdesktop
May 19, 2010, 06:03 AM
Hi,

I'm one of the developers working on Jump Desktop (http://www.jumpdesktop.com) . I'd be happy to answer any questions about the app.

The thread is pretty long - however there were some things that I'd like to address that a few people raised:

Security: Jump Desktop is secure - it uses encryption built into the RDP protocol when connecting to your PC. Encryption is always enabled and can not be turned off when using RDP.

Setup / Connection management: Jump Desktop comes with an optional component that helps you connect to your PC using just a Google account. You don't need to worry about your IP address changing or setting up port forwarding on your router if you're using this method. Any PCs setup this way show up in your connection list across all your devices (Jump Desktop is a universal app)

Drivers: The Jump Desktop client for the PC does not install any drivers on your system. The Jump Desktop client is only used for connection management - the actual remote desktop connection is all delegated to the RDP protocol.

Apps getting hung after a RDP session: Try updating your video driver to see if helps.

Also - a plug: We just released Jump Desktop 2.0 (http://www.jumpdesktop.com/new). It has a bunch of new features including copy-paste, video-out support and advanced integration with bluetooth keyboards (arrow keys and common short cuts work). It also has the ability to lock the screen on the iPad, new gestures to recall the keyboard and a hideable toolbar (Check out the video on our site (http://www.jumpdesktop.com))

We've started work on version 3.0 which, just like 2.0 will be a free upgrade. If you'd like to seen any features let us know.

aperry
May 20, 2010, 09:35 AM
Jump Desktop's recent v2.0 release is fantastic. Nice job! Fixed full screen with minimized menu bar is exactly what I wanted in this app and there it is!

For connecting with Windows computers I honestly can't imagine there's a better app out there.

johnredcorn
May 22, 2010, 02:00 PM
I own iTeleport, iTap VNC and RDP, Wyse Pocketcloud, Jump, and Desktop Connect. Each have pros and cons, and some are better than others, but all of them are solid apps and worth the money. For those that just want one good app for controlling other computers remotely or over a local network, I will list the pros and cons, and how they compare to each other.

iTeleport is the most expensive, packs the most features, and was the easiest to setup. iTeleport is VNC only, which means it will work well running with native screen sharing on the mac, but will need a VNC server to be installed on the PC (ultravnc is my favorite). If you enable screen sharing on your mac, the setup will be idiot proof, as it will auto discover your mac for use on your local network. Connecting to your mac or PC remotely will require you to setup a google account and use iTeleport's software that syncs with google cloud. The best option, though, is to just obtain your external ip and forward a port for each computer.

Pros:
iTeleport supports ssh tunneling, multiple mouse control options, the ability to hide screen contents on ipad, a full array of misc keys, and the best implementation of gestures (not to mention the most gestures of any of the clients). Gestures include 3 finger swipes up and down to hide and show the keyboard and taskbar, 3 finger tap to zoom, 3 finger side swipes for task manager, 4 finger swipes for expose, and of course two finger tap to right click, pinch to zoom, and drag to scroll.

Cons:
For a 25 dollar app, it lacks the polish of some of the cheaper apps. The modifier keys are unattractive and hover separate from the keyboard at the top of the screen when activated. The media control keys only work with vine server installed on the mac (will not work with screen sharing). The biggest issue I have with iTeleport is that it feels sluggish. Screen refresh is on par with the other vnc apps, or better, but the redraw on the ipad is the worst of any of the apps. Pinch to zoom is very slow and only zooms in on the mouse. Single finger drag to pan is slow for the screen to update and reposition. This is on local or remote networks, and the color quality doesnt seem to make much of a difference.

iTap VNC and RDP are both pretty much the same, they just use different protocols. iTap packs solid features (not as many as iTeleport), good performance, and the most polished UI (or rather lack of a UI) of any of the remote apps. iTap will be a little tricky to setup for remote access unless you know how to do port forwarding. The documentation is all included in the app. The RDP client will run natively with remote desktop included in the upper versions of windows (check their list of compatible OS's in the app store or their web site), and the VNC client will of course run natively in OSX with screen sharing.

Pros:
Ill say this again, this app is polished. All the keys, menus, and animations are excellent. 3 finger down swipe will activate the keyboard with a nice animation. All the necessary modifier keys are right there attached to the standard keyboard, with a separate button to activate the misc keys and numpad. The interface is touch only, and is the best touch interface of any of the remote apps. You can tap and hold for accurate controls via a scoping system (basically a magnifying glass pops up at your finger tip) that will allow you to drag the mouse. There is no taskbar so none of the screen is obstructed during normal use. The speed of the VNC client is on par with iTeleport, except the ipad redraw rate is much better. Pinch to zoom is smooth and accurate, and panning works perfectly. The speed of the RDP client is also on par with the others. Both iTap clients use the same gestures. These include the aforementioned 3 finger swipe for keyboard and pinch to zoom, but also include 3 finger right swipe to end session, 2 finger tap to right click, and drag to zoom.

Cons:
There aren't that many. The VNC client lacks some of the features of iTeleport like the ability to hide screen contents and some of the advanced gestures. The biggest issue with the iTap client is its sole reliance on touch mode. All of my other remote apps offer multiple options for controlling the mouse. I also had a few issues with some of the misc keys not working under OSX. I have spoken to the developer (who was very quick to respond) and was told that they will look into fixes for the misc keys under OSX, and that they will be including additional mouse control options in a future update. Lastly, unlike like iTeleport, I notice the mouse will stop responding on occasion (usually for a few seconds at a time). Hopefully this will also be fixed in a future update.

Wyse Pockeycloud is a good all-around RDP client with solid performance, a polished UI, and the best mouse control of any of the remote clients. Setup is similar to all of the other apps, and the ability to do port forwarding will make it very easy.

Pros:
It's all about the mouse controls. A single tap of the mouse icon brings up a (nicely animated) mouse icon with a group of buttons attached. These buttons are always fixed to the mouse so they can be activated quickly from your fingertip. These options include a right click, a scrollbar, and keyboard activation button. These controls are necessary as Wyse supports almost no gestures (except pinch to zoom and single finger panning). Everything is run from mouse or the taskbar (which can be hidden). Performance is good, and audio streaming works well (audio streaming quality can be set in options). Lastly, like iTap and Jump, the pinch to zoom and panning speeds are excellent.

Cons:
Already mentioned the big one. Complete lack of gesture support. No two finger tap to right click or drag to scroll. No gestures to bring up keyboard, hide taskbar, or zoom. Another issue (purely cosmetic), is the login screen. Wyse has, by far, the ugliest login screen. the huge bold font and over shadowing looks like it came straight from a free app. Also, when launching the app in landscape mode, the login screen will start in portrait before adjusting. If Wyse fixes the login screen and adds full gesture support this will be a real winner.

Jump went from average to great with its latest update. Like the other RDP clients, setup was straight forward and performance was excellent. This app is now fully featured and packs a fairly polished UI.

Pros:
Offers a ton of features for the price. Multiple mouse controls, gestures, and a clean look make this one of my favorites. The UI has gotten sooo much better in the latest update. The taskbar is much nicer and can now be hidden. The mouse control is very similar to Wyse but also offers a full array of gestures. Pinch to zoom and panning are quick and responsive.

Cons:
Despite great strides in the last update, I would like to see even more attention given to polishing the UI. The fixed circle for controlling the mouse (which can now be hidden) is ugly compared to the one used in Wyse. The full array of misc keys is great, but like the mouse circle, is ugly and takes up way too much screen real estate. Either make the vast space between the keys transparent, or fit them closer together like the misc keys in iTap. Since the developer is here on these forums, I would like to throw in a few other requests. Please add gesture support for zooming. Pinch is easy, but a 3 finger tap to instant zoom and unzoom would be nice. I have been spoiled by the fingertip controls of Wyse, so similar additions to the Jump mouse controller would be great.

Desktop Connect is solid, but lacks the polish of all the other apps. I will keep this short because I dont use it very often. The biggest reason to get this app is price. If you are on a budget and need RDP and VNC support, this is a really good deal. Also, it has great auto discovery of both windows and mac machines on your local network. The login screen is gorgeous, but the rest of the app was hit with the ugly stick. Almost all of the features of the other apps are present, but the presentation is sloppy. If they can overhaul and clean up the UI, this will be on par with the others.

danpass
May 22, 2010, 08:28 PM

Awesome, great post, thanks.

I went with Wyse soley because of the mouse pointer and the wrapped functions, very handy.

Now if only you had only come 180ish responses sooner for the other folks. I'll copy your post into the OP actually. :D

jumpdesktop
May 22, 2010, 11:03 PM
Hi,

Thank you for the excellent writeup. I'll respond to Jump Desktop related topics only:

>> Jump went from average to great with its latest update.

Thank you. We're trying to improve with every iteration.

>> Like the other RDP clients, setup was straight forward and performance was excellent. This app is now fully featured and packs a fairly polished UI.

I also want to point out that Jump Desktop has an easy to use setup and connectivity utility for the PC which syncs to the Google cloud. You can get up and running with your gmail account quite quickly. You'll have full remote desktop access (not just on your LAN, but over the internet too) without messing around with Windows settings, firewalls or router port forwarding. We think is quite convenient, even for advanced users.

>> The fixed circle for controlling the mouse (which can now be hidden) is ugly

We'll try to fix this.

>> The full array of misc keys is great.. either make the vast space between the keys transparent, or fit them closer

Excellent suggestion. We'll look into reclaiming the dead space.

>> Please add gesture support for zooming. Pinch is easy, but a 3 finger tap to instant zoom and unzoom would be nice.

3 finger tap is now keyboard recall and hide (starting from v2.0). But I hear you - we'll add a gesture for zoom/unzoom in the next release (something other than three finger tap).

>> so similar additions to the jump mouse controller would be great.

Is there anything specific you'd like to see added here?

-------------------------------------------------

Also, since we are on this topic - I'd like to know what people think is the best way to control the mouse on the screen. Some VNC apps have Trackpad-like behavior where single finger gestures moves the mouse around on the screen instead of panning the screen like you'd normally expect with touch screens. Is this something people really like? What (if any) is your preference on this?

johnredcorn
May 23, 2010, 12:18 AM
It is really nice to see a developer active in the continuing improvement of their product. I would like to go a bit further on some of the points I originally discussed.

In no particular order...

In regards to the mouse circle - Ugly may have been a bit harsh. Plain is probably a better word to describe it. Normally I would be all for simplicity, but if you take a look at the first page of this thread, the OP has a screenshot of the Wyse app showing their mouse pointer. It is simple, elegant, and functional. There are situations when having the primary functions at the tip of your finger is preferable to gesturing. Wyse even includes the ability to hide and show the advanced functions on their mouse pointer. Ultimately, Wyse uses a mouse control system that is very similar to yours (Jump), it is just taken a bit further with additional features. Both apps definitely have the right idea when it comes to mouse control (control of the mouse via a fixed point that still allows for correct screen panning and touch pointing), which I prefer over the controls used by iteleport (using the whole ipad as a giant touchpad to move the mouse resulting in inverted panning), or itap (touch mode only).

It may not be worthwhile to devote resources to correcting some of the little things that are mostly cosmetic, but I am sure there are many (like myself) that like to see attention paid to the little details. Refining the mouse circle, modifier keys, and misc keys would give the app a better overall feel and presentation. I understand the term "refining" is a bit vague. The best way I can describe it would be the proper integration with the look and feel of the iphone/ipad OS, like you have recently done with the improvements to the look and feel of the taskbar. Visual improvments to icons, keys, and animations are always appreciated as long as they dont impair the apps use and function.

The new gestures are great, and I may be in a minority, but I personally prefer the layout of the gestures used in iTeleport. Specifically, 3 finger swipe up to show keyboard, 3 finger swipe down to hide keyboard, and 3 finger tap to zoom in and out. Another good layout is 3 finger swipe down to show and hide keyboard (like iTap), and 3 finger swipe up to show and hide taskbar. Jump's use of 3 finger tap to show and hide isn't bad, and perhaps I am just not yet used to it, but I tend to prefer the swiping gestures for hiding and showing elements of the UI. If you intend to keep 3 finger tap for keyboard, then 4 finger tap to zoom would be the next logical choice. Speaking of 4 finger gestures, if you are planning on adding them, I would like to suggest 4 finger side swipe gestures to activate alt+tab program management with continued swiping for selection.

Lastly, on a completely unrelated note, are there any plans to add NLA support in a future update? I would like to be able to leave this enabled on my home PC, but currently iTap is the only RDP app to support it.

Thanks!

gillybean
May 23, 2010, 11:20 AM
Also, since we are on this topic - I'd like to know what people think is the best way to control the mouse on the screen. Some VNC apps have Trackpad-like behavior where single finger gestures moves the mouse around on the screen instead of panning the screen like you'd normally expect with touch screens. Is this something people really like? What (if any) is your preference on this?

I use both LogMeIn Ignition (where you move a mouse like a trackpad) and WinAdmin (where the mouse goes wherever you touch). Initially I didn't like the trackpad style, but after using it for a while, I now think that it lets you be much more precise in your clicks. For example I'm always trying to hit the "window minimize" and "window maximize" buttons on the top right corner of my windows - when using my fingers (in the WinAdmin style) it always feels like my fingers are too fat to correctly get those buttons without having to zoom in every time, but with the trackpad style I can easily move the cursor over those buttons and get them. Also, the trackpad style allows much easier right click (right click by tapping with both fingers) compared to the WinAdmin style (where you have to use some variation on tapping twice with 1 finger which doesn't always work). So, overall I think I like the trackpad style more now. Both are okay though - if you're developing an App maybe you could just implement both and let the user choose which to use.

danpass
May 23, 2010, 04:57 PM
Not sure about the others but with Wyse you can tap with your finger or with the mouse cursor thing, even when it's active onscreen.

GoCubsGo
May 23, 2010, 06:15 PM
I've downloaded Mocha VNC Lite to get a general idea of how this works from the iPad. One thing I'd like to know is are there any apps that will wake my Mini (being used as a HTPC) from the iPad?

jumpdesktop
May 26, 2010, 12:26 AM
In regards to the mouse circle - Ugly may have been a bit harsh. Plain is probably a better word to describe it. ....There are situations when having the primary functions at the tip of your finger is preferable to gesturing.

Thanks for the feeback - these are excellent points. One of our goals while designing the circle was to keep it small and simple the user can use the maximum area on the screen for gestures. For example, with Jump, you don't need an explicit button for right mouse click since it's very simple to just do a tap-and-hold anywhere on the screen. That said, we're still debating this internally and although we're not planning on adding everything into the circle, having the ability use to the scroll wheel from inside the circle is something that we may add in a future update.

It may not be worthwhile to devote resources to correcting some of the little things that are mostly cosmetic, but I am sure there are many (like myself) that like to see attention paid to the little details. Refining the mouse circle, modifier keys, and misc keys would give the app a better overall feel and presentation.

Making the app visually pleasing is quite important to us too (we actually have some plans already drawn up to make this better) however for the next version (3.0) we're still going to be concentrating more on the core functionality of the app. Anything that makes the app more reliable, performant and easier to use (i.e. increases the user's productivity) is core functionality for us. This doesn't mean you won't see visual improvements in v3.0 though - just that it won't be our main focus.

3 finger swipe up to show keyboard, 3 finger swipe down to hide keyboard, and 3 finger tap to zoom in and out.

Good points. I guess once you're used to certain gestures its hard to shake the habit - just like getting used to trackpad like functionality. We'll see if we can do anything here to help.

Speaking of 4 finger gestures, if you are planning on adding them, I would like to suggest 4 finger side swipe gestures to activate alt+tab program management with continued swiping for selection.

Good idea. I've added this to our feature request list.

Lastly, on a completely unrelated note, are there any plans to add NLA support in a future update?

Yes - NLA will be added along with FIPS and HIGH Encryption support as a free future update (...along with another round of new features).

Also, let me just add something that is unique to Jump Desktop: the ability to utilize most of the functionality of bluetooth keyboards (common shortcuts and arrow keys) and the ability to utilize the iPad VGA out connector (you can use a projector or a LCD monitor if you have this). None of the other apps as far as we know have these ability.

Thanks again guys.

chinatti
May 26, 2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback

With Jump Desktop, do I need to use the "Google Cloud" based login method? Or can I use it as a standard RDP client (i.e. on my WiFi network to a local PC, or through a VPN connection)?

EDIT:
Nevermind .... answered my own question here:

http://support.jumpdesktop.com/entries/156789-connectivity-other-ways-to-connect-if-you-do-not-want-to-use-a-google-account-to-log-into-your-pc

jumpdesktop
May 26, 2010, 03:52 PM
With Jump Desktop, do I need to use the "Google Cloud" based login method? Or can I use it as a standard RDP client (i.e. on my WiFi network to a local PC, or through a VPN connection)?

Its not necessary to use the Google login method - its totally optional.

You can use a regular IP address or host name to connect. VPN connections using the built-in iPad / iPhone VPN are supported too.

Jump Desktop is a regular RDP client. We offer the Google login method for people who don't want to setup and manage dynamic dns / port forwarding.

chinatti
May 27, 2010, 11:04 AM
We offer the Google login method for people who don't want to setup and manage dynamic dns / port forwarding.

Can you point me to any more technical details about how exactly your google login method works? Just trying to understand how it's set up from a security perspective...

appleecosys
May 27, 2010, 07:32 PM

I just wanted to say I really like Jump. I have used Jaadu RDP on the iphone for a very long time, and I have used others. I would like to say that using the screen as a trackpad is VERY important. It provides a much more precise selection and allows you to comfortably hold the device. I use my thumbs while holding the ipad with Jaadu VNC, and it's easier to hold for a long duration of time.

I think Jump is a GREAT product and would like a setting that would allow me switch to a mouse trackpad style control this way you have the best of both worlds and people can choose.

Thanks.

Skrip
May 31, 2010, 01:20 AM
First off, I consider Jump Desktop to be the best RDP client out there today. The keypad alone is a huge winner for a guy like me who uses Excel like nobody's business.

That said, I do have some suggestions. First off, the keypad could be better if you shrunk the plus key to only one key in height and make the subtraction key right above it. Then along the top row, make the keys go in this order (left to right):

Backspace
Equals
Backslash (divide)
Star (multiply)

This is like the setup on the USB Apple Keyboards. Also, another row with parenthesis's keys, carrot key (^), and comma key would greatly help with inputting formulas into Excel.

Another suggestion is to have the mouse immediately click where I touch, instead of the current behavior where the mouse moves then clicks. This would speed up my workflow greatly.

You have a great product and these two suggestions would make it absolutely perfect for me.

JB

P.S. I wrote this using Jump Desktop on my iPad.

Thanks for the feeback - these are excellent points. One of our goals while designing the circle was to keep it small and simple the user can use the maximum area on the screen for gestures. For example, with Jump, you don't need an explicit button for right mouse click since it's very simple to just do a tap-and-hold anywhere on the screen. That said, we're still debating this internally and although we're not planning on adding everything into the circle, having the ability use to the scroll wheel from inside the circle is something that we may add in a future update.

Good points. I guess once you're used to certain gestures its hard to shake the habit - just like getting used to trackpad like functionality. We'll see if we can do anything here to help.

Yes - NLA will be added along with FIPS and HIGH Encryption support as a free future update (...along with another round of new features).

Also, let me just add something that is unique to Jump Desktop: the ability to utilize most of the functionality of bluetooth keyboards (common shortcuts and arrow keys) and the ability to utilize the iPad VGA out connector (you can use a projector or a LCD monitor if you have this). None of the other apps as far as we know have these ability.

Thanks again guys.

reiichiroh
May 31, 2010, 01:20 PM
Can't find the thread but someone here or some other forum (LOL been reading too many iPad threads late at night on it) was looking for a "video out" on the iPad and I thought I'd mention RDP client JumpDesktop ($9.99) does this.

No, not affiliated with the dev.

dsampley
May 31, 2010, 02:32 PM
I'm using teamviewer. Has worked fine for me on Mac, pc, iPhone and iPad.

spinedoc77
May 31, 2010, 02:43 PM
Gotta jump in here and say after trying out most of the RDP solutions I absolutely love Jump. I know they frequent these boards because I was complaining about a couple of things I hated about all the rdp programs (namely that you couldn't lock the screen from floating around and also being able to use the mouse like it was native to the controlled desktop) and lo and behold this latest update fixes both of those issues.

Jump is quite seamless in its experience and you can almost forget you are RDPing into your PC. The desktop solution is also awesome as I cannot futz with port remapping my rdp port on my work PC's.

danpass
Jun 2, 2010, 10:40 PM
Another screenshot (using Wyse Pocketcloud)

http://www.zenfolio.com/img/s6/v6/p290165716.jpg

peapody
Jun 8, 2010, 10:19 AM
So after reading this entire thread... I am not sure..I can't use JUMP for my mac? Is that right?

PoisonScorpion
Jun 9, 2010, 10:45 AM
I'm using iTeleport like I do on my iPod touch. I like how they didn't charge you again for the iPad version.

It is a bit underpolished but I've had it for a while now.

vartanu
Jun 10, 2010, 10:56 AM
Is any of these apps able to bring a MacBook pro back to life from sleep?

Katilea
Jun 10, 2010, 02:22 PM
Hi

I got a 32GB Wi-fi iPad recently. The texting apps don't tend to work for UK numbers and I don't have 3G to be able to access a connection from anywhere, if I was outdoors and needed to send a text message.

I saw remote apps like hippo and jaadu VNC to control your mac from your iPad and wondered if there was an app that would allow me to remotely access an iPhone via my iPad?

I currently have Blackberry Storm but I struggle with texting on small screen (I have co-ordination problems) and can type better on iPad in landscape mode. I thought if I could find an app that I could remotely access an iPhone with to send SMS messages I would try and buy a second hand one just for texting.

Or if you know of an app that would allow me to remotely control my Blackberry Storm from an iPad that be great as save me buying another phone, but I thought I'd have more chance of it working with another apple device!

Thanks

Kati
(UK)

Cagle
Jun 19, 2010, 01:03 AM
Is any of these apps able to bring a MacBook pro back to life from sleep?

Yes, I'd like to know too. I just shelled out $30 for ignition and would like to be able to wake my Mac up so i can actually use it.

Does anyone know of a remote desktop app that supports mouse drag? I was trying to do some basic stuff in PS but couldn't work out how to drag a selection with the mouse, using Logmein.

danpass
Jun 19, 2010, 07:15 AM

Does anyone know of a remote desktop app that supports mouse drag? I was trying to do some basic stuff in PS but couldn't work out how to drag a selection with the mouse, using Logmein.

Wyse does mouse drag and it can be done with the mouse pointer or the finger.

I believe I mentioned that in the op ;)

Cagle
Jun 19, 2010, 06:18 PM
Wyse does mouse drag and it can be done with the mouse pointer or the finger.

I believe I mentioned that in the op ;)

For shame, Wyse only supports Windows. Any mouse dragging action available for Mac OSX?

johnredcorn
Jun 19, 2010, 07:10 PM
iTap recently updated its VNC app, which works with native screen sharing in OSX, and it is my new favorite. They added several new features, but my favorites are the new mouse controls and the newly added three finger double tap gesture to hide and show the toolbar. One of the new mouse controls functions exactly as you are requesting, in that tapping the screen is a click, and tap + hold is the same as holding the mouse button. They also have the standard touch mode with scope and the newly added mousepad control which allows you to move a visibile mouse pointer around on screen. The new toolbar gives quick access to screen locking, logging out, showing keyboards, VGA out, and changing between the new mouse functions.

If you are comfortable setting up VNC clients manually (iTap has no auto setup or Google cloud sync), than iTap would be my number one recommendation for remote access on the Mac.

If you need automated setup or Google sync you can try Iteleport. Iteleport is more expensive but much easier to configure. Unfortunately, it is not as quick or a polished as the new iTap, and to perform mouse dragging you will need to doubletap to activate dragging.

Edit: Several corrections.

danpass
Jun 19, 2010, 07:47 PM
For shame, Wyse only supports Windows. Any mouse dragging action available for Mac OSX?

crap sorry. I thought they had the same functionality.

JTravers
Jun 28, 2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks for all the great posts and comparisons. It's been a big help.

I've got my list of RDP apps narrowed down to 3 -- Wyse Pocketcloud, Jump Desktop, and iTap RDP.

The pros and cons between the 3 overlap so much, trying to figure out which one to buy is starting to make my head spin! Touch, mouse control, speed. It's hard to figure out which ones are better based solely on reviews.

iTap is tempting since it's the cheapest, but Wyse has a special "promotional price" that is tempting, also. Jump is the most expensive. Of course, that only means its a few dollars more than the others.

I'd like to hear which one people prefer assuming you've used all 3. Unfortunately, I can't justify buying all 3, so I need to make a decision that I hopefully won't regret later ;)

Thanks!

iphone4
Jun 29, 2010, 05:42 AM
I've finally decided on Jump desktop.
They are responsive to bug reports and it has frequent updates.
It is universal between iPhone and iPad.
Next update adds VNC to existing RDP support.
Copy and paste is nicely integrated with phone.

littlegreenyoda
Jun 29, 2010, 08:46 AM
I've finally decided on Jump desktop.
They are responsive to bug reports and it has frequent updates.
It is universal between iPhone and iPad.
Next update adds VNC to existing RDP support.
Copy and paste is nicely integrated with phone.

Should have gotten jump.

I bought desktop connect and its not working too well, lots of shutting down by itself and have problems with EasyConnect. :(

Ip address was entered manually but also cannot connect, had to connect via the unstable Easy Connect method instead.

iThinman
Jun 29, 2010, 08:59 PM
Just purchased Jump 5 minutes ago and am very impressed. Easily the best i have used to-date. Supports my 5760*1080 desktop very very nicely. The mouse integration works real good for me.

On the large desktop support, I would love to see it auto-scroll the screen while dragging. Ie, to expand a window to about 4000 wide requires you to expand the window, shift the screen over, expand the window more, rinse n' repeat. Small issue really though.

Worth every penny.

Edits: ahhh, my appologies, Jump actually already has the functionality I desired above, just needed to get it figured out and move a bit slower. A bit difficult to manage, but functional. Such a nice app.

gopherhockey
Jun 30, 2010, 08:43 PM
This thread is EXACTLY what I was looking for. When I first got my iPad I jumped on winadmin and have been using it ever since. I think I can do better, and so my quest begins. For me there are some key features:

1. NO ADDED SOFTWARE. Anyone who's anyone in IT knows the more junk you install on your machine the worse off you are, especially if you are administering enterprise class servers. I'd fire anyone installing 3rd party apps to access servers unless they had a really good reason. Maybe for personal desktops its a bit different but why. Logmein is always on top of the ratings in the app store but... without being too insulting.. feels like the remote desktop client for the non technical.

2. RDP support is a requirement. 99% of what I access is Windows based. I do have a few Macs and we will be introducing more Macs and Mac servers into the environment (and at home in my test lab) soon so VNC is a nice to have. I would almost rather get the best of the best RDP and the best of the best VNC and not sacrifice just to get both.

3. iPad support first but if its a universal app for the iPhone and all other things are equal then universal wins.

Here is where things get a bit tricky.

Working with static IPs I need the client to work with RDP but utilize different ports so I can do port forwarding. OR, do any of these work with an RD gateway? Now we have one IP and port to forward and can access any internal system on any port via the RD gateway.

My home desktop is 2560x1600. Most reviews I see don't list the supported graphics modes. Winadmin is only 1024x768 and uses its real estate poorly so higher graphics modesl would be nice.

Active Directory authentication (or native PC/Mac user), not some odd gmail access or a required 3rd party login.

Sound and video support is a plus.

I see someone from Jump Dektop here in the forums. Thats a huge plus. When you get access to developers and they are willing to listen it says a lot. I do see there have been no updates recently from them and no iOS4 support on the iPhone, so that concerns me a bit - otherwise I was almost ready to pull the trigger on Jump. Seems like its highly regarded here. I don't like the mouse circle idea at all and did anyone answer if this could be used without the extra software and gmail step that their web site suggests? Again, I don't need granny's remote desktop app.
johnredcorn's AWESOME review makes me think iTap would be the way to go for both Windows and Mac functionality in one. But is it the best at either? For me it extends to the developers web site and their app icon because it shows attention to detail. This one has the worst looking icon and a horribly lacking web site. I'm pretty sure they have an app for the iPad but you wouldn't know it by looking at their web site... I don't see a mention of it anywhere.

Frustrating... it seems each has its positive but nothing does it all and does it well.

danpass
Jun 30, 2010, 09:32 PM

Wyse Pocketcloud and Jump Desktop will likely make your shortlist.

I chose Wyse and in their setup you can specify which IP/domain and subsequently the port.

Default port is 3389 and you probably already know that every Windows RDP is defaulted at 3389 so that has to be changed at each terminal (3390, 3391, etc) as well as in the router (just for passthru to the terminal)

JTravers
Jul 1, 2010, 10:47 AM
Default port is 3389 and you probably already know that every Windows RDP is defaulted at 3389 so that has to be changed at each terminal (3390, 3391, etc) as well as in the router (just for passthru to the terminal)

One thing that I've found helpful is setting up different external (WAN facing) ports on the router which all port forward to the same internal (LAN facing) RDP port (3389) but to different computers.

For example, external port 1234 is setup to forward to internal port 3389 at IP 192.168.100.2, while external port 4567 is setup to forward to internal port 3389 at IP 192.168.100.3. So you can target different computers on your LAN without having to change their individual default RDP ports.

This is easily setup if your router supports Tomato, DD-WRT, etc.

danpass
Jul 1, 2010, 11:42 AM
One thing that I've found helpful is setting up different external (WAN facing) ports on the router which all port forward to the same internal (LAN facing) RDP port (3389) but to different computers.

For example, external port 1234 is setup to forward to internal port 3389 at IP 192.168.100.2, while external port 4567 is setup to forward to internal port 3389 at IP 192.168.100.3. So you can target different computers on your LAN without having to change their individual default RDP ports.

This is easily setup if your router supports Tomato, DD-WRT, etc.

I had tried that one time and it didn't work for me. It looks like I may have missed a half step there though :D

marcin0903
Jul 1, 2010, 04:02 PM
I am looking for remote desktop - the app has to be smooth, fast, not expensive (something in range ~ $5, if there is no good app for this price, could be a bit higher) but also pretty cheap and has to support Mac OS X 10.6 (and it will be good if it will support Windows 7) and it will be great if there is no required sliding through the whole screen - instead where I touch there appears a mouse.

node808
Jul 1, 2010, 04:17 PM
I am looking for remote desktop - the app has to be smooth, fast, not expensive (something in range ~ $5, if there is no good app for this price, could be a bit higher) but also pretty cheap and has to support Mac OS X 10.6 (and it will be good if it will support Windows 7) and it will be great if there is no required sliding through the whole screen - instead where I touch there appears a mouse.

VNC is the best remote desktop client/server software available. And its free.

marcin0903
Jul 1, 2010, 04:42 PM
Guess what? - I downloaded it an hour ago and I really like it, but sometimes the grey rectangle appears that takes about 1/4 of the screen - don't know why, but found out, that I have to move screen a little left/right and it's ok :)

iphone4
Jul 2, 2010, 06:14 AM
Jump Desktop 3.0 is out today.
Adds support for VNC, iOS 4, iPhone 4 retina display, external keyboard and more.

jumpdesktop
Jul 3, 2010, 11:59 AM
Hello,

@appleecosys: Trackpad support - we'll consider adding this in the next major release.

@gillybean: Thanks for the idea about the extra keys in the keypad. Stay tuned.

Jump Desktop 3.0 is out today.
Adds support for VNC, iOS 4, iPhone 4 retina display, external keyboard and more.

I'm going to plug Jump Desktop 3.0 here and try to explain some of the new features. Mods: please let me know if I'm out of line.

The big feature for 3.0 is VNC support. We've tested the VNC implementation against TightVNC, RealVNC, UltraVNC and even Mac OS X 10.6 screen sharing. Mac OS X is not fully supported in this release - we'll have full support in 3.1. Although we do feel that OS X support is very functional in 3.0 (full support for all mouse movements - but some keyboard shortcuts may not work).

Other interesting things:

- Better encryption for RDP
- Initial support for iOS 4 Multitasking. We have a few more ideas for the 3.1 release around this, so stay tuned.
- Ability to use encrypted SSL tunnels with VNC to help provide better security for VNC (this will be available once we release our updated PC client next week). I don't think other VNC clients support encryption without running a SSH server.
- Transparent keypads for the iPad (someone here suggested we do this).
- Even better integration with bluetooth keyboards - users can now simulate Ctrl shortcuts, Function keys and the Esc key (in addition to arrow key support and Alt shortcuts we introduced in 2.0).

One interesting thing that we've tried to do with the VNC implementation is have it progressively update the screen while the data is downloaded. Some VNC implementations have to wait for a entire chunk of the screen to be transferred over the network before they can show it to the user. In our implementation we've tried to push the updates as soon as we have enough data for a vertical chunk. The effect is there is lower latency (you'll see the screen update start very quickly), however the downside is there might be more 'shearing' of display (i.e you'll see a noticeable vertical update of the screen as the data is streamed in from the network). I'm not sure if anyone will notice this behavior and wanted to know what people think. We think this will be beneficial on slow connections.

As usual feedback is welcome. We'll try to keep re-visiting this thread but if you want a guaranteed response please go through: http://support.jumpdesktop.com

Thanks!

-----
Btw - has anyone tried TightVnc 2.0? Very impressed with the speed and quality of the new server implementation these guys have put out.
-----

LarsMarkelson
Jul 4, 2010, 04:14 PM
I am loving Jump! It's increased my love of the iPad 3x :)

Does anyone know if Logmein Ignition uses RDP or VNC?

I'm on Win7 64-bit on a very fast computer (i7 4.3ghz, ssd, etc), using my home network for both iPad and computer. I love doing my browsing and other tasks on this thing now. Multi-tasking is great and not having to worry about lack of RAM crashes in tabbed browsing rules.

edit: the mouse circle is an incredible feature and having used it, i would not use a program that did not have it. the accuracy that it provides is fantastic. now that i'm doing so much sliding around on the screen, i need to get a nice matte cover... currently putting a thin layer of super glue on my finger which works very nicely.

I've gotten some weird bad lag inputting text for forum posting. The settings I use are 1024x768 with all features off except HQ font. I also turn my computer to auto-hide taskbar, and the notifications bar is set to default where it hides most of the icons. Highest bit color and no sound. This makes the remote experience very fast and very enjoyable. Of course videos, games suck. Scrolling kind of blows too, with two fingers. The page down/page up/arrows method works pretty well.

Two things for the developers if you're reading this:
-keyboard needs to have double tap space = enters period <--- how it works on iphone and ipad, you probably know already

-two finger scrolling can be unresponsive at times, and then when you're using it to scroll, look at something, then scroll elsewhere, all in one motion, it really is not good because the scroll is so sensitive that when you're stopped at one spot in the middle the scroll keeps micro moving up and down and it's impossible to read what you want, so you're force to make two motions out of it. i use that method on my macbook all the time and it's so natural and works so well, and is much easier/more enjoyable to do than splitting it into two scrolls. i'm guessing the sensitivity needs to be turned down.

-any other ways to increase speed besides turning down the color bits? i have everything off except hq font, which i like a lot. i currently use a port forwarded setup with both computer and ipad on the same network... is VNC faster than RDP?

All in all, great job to the Jump developers! After using the product for a few hours, I am happy to have funded you guys another $20 :)

LarsMarkelson
Jul 4, 2010, 05:39 PM
just tested, ip address/port forward when on same network is much faster than the google method (this is referring to jump)

scroll lag is very annoying... a fast way to do page up/down and home/end,i and maybe also arrow up/down would be very nice

still getting intermittent mysterious keyboard lag. not sure why... itll freeze then enter in a bunch of text, nothing else works either when this happens, could be network problems but i doubt it as im on a tomato router

also sometimes gestures like scrolling are slow to respond and take a few tries to get it activated

still a great program :)

LarsMarkelson
Jul 4, 2010, 06:08 PM
Awesome! i've just installed tightvnc 2.0 and i think its significantly faster than rdp!

all my weird keyboard and gesture lag issues are gone. though i think the mouse circle has a little lag when you first grab it now

the biggest problem for me on tightvnc is the scroll is too fast, much faster than on rdp, hard to use this way. fast as in the amount it moves, not the refresh rate

edit: i actually went back to rdp and i think its faster except i sometimes get that weird typing lag and sometimes gesture lag... still like tightvnc... i think with some time tightvnc could be faster than rdp. i may be imagining it too but i think text is more crisp on rdp than on vnc

ahhh !
im back on tightvnc! i turned off my theme and nifty effects in windows (the rdp does this automatically), and it's faster now. scroll is still much better on rdp. would be good if the vnc would turn off the extras automatically like rdp

powerbooks
Jul 5, 2010, 04:16 PM
Excuse me for possible naive question: but does Jump Desktop support Apple Remote Desktop? The description says it only works for Windows systems......

Jaxe
Jul 7, 2010, 10:03 AM
Does Jump Desktop support Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) now with the new VNC support?

I have TightVNC 2.0 installed, and I tried it with the free iPad app Mocha VNC Lite. It works ok, a bit laggy, but usable.

I'm wondering if Jump would be significantly faster?

Gjk77
Jul 7, 2010, 11:08 AM
Jump works GREAT.

LarsMarkelson
Jul 8, 2010, 04:57 AM
Jump works GREAT.

Agreed. I way prefer using RDP to Tight vnc because it's faster... all my complaints about weird lag were actually solved by moving closer to the router. now i kind of want to get an n router :) or an ipad 4g when it comes out.

Jump is soo awesome to me. i just really love it. but i have one really simple change that would make it much better for me:

-the keyboard switching buttons (T / 123 / F1) should be on the right side instead of the left. that way when you need to use the home, end, page up/down keys, they are right there by your finger after you've switched. it may seem trivial but i use them so often that the time really adds up of having to go across the screen with my finger.

that change would be great! oh and the mouse circle does seem to lag sometimes when i first grab it, but that may be a router issue... though ive seen it when i dont have any of the other router issues... hmm maybe its just the way i grab it sometimes.

also, im going to get a frictionless screen protector for easier/nicer mouse circling. right now im thinking the power support anti glare. ill update later with results

joelinmaine
Jul 8, 2010, 12:10 PM
Useful thread here, thanks for everyone's contributions.

I have a very specific question about which app to use: I am hoping to use my iPad to access my PC desktop -- from within the same office (10 feet away) -- if possible, accessing via my wireless network and NOT through the internet (due to security concerns, medical info being viewed). Is this possible? Which remote app makes sense for this? Any help would be appreciated.

gillybean
Jul 8, 2010, 12:12 PM

I have a very specific question about which app to use: I am hoping to use my iPad to access my PC desktop -- from within the same office (10 feet away) -- if possible, accessing via my wireless network and NOT through the internet (due to security concerns, medical info being viewed). Is this possible? Which remote app makes sense for this? Any help would be appreciated.

Pick one of the Apps that specifically does "Remote Desktop", and enter in the local IP address when connecting.

LarsMarkelson
Jul 8, 2010, 12:12 PM

I'm pretty sure this is how I'm using Jump right now. I set it up so Jump connects to my internal router ip set for the computer (192.168.1.xxx). Since it's the internal ip being used, not my internet ip, I'm thinking it's not going through the internet.

I'm sure most other apps can do this too.

davisjw
Jul 8, 2010, 03:33 PM
I've noted a lot of people using this for work - I'm looking for the perfect one to use for "play." By that I mean - I have my iMac hooked up to my LCD TV as a second monitor that way I can just watch all the movies I have on iMac on the TV.

My problem is that I hate having to use a mouse as that forces me to actually lean forward on the couch and reach for the mouse on the table :D. I'd much rather use my iPad as a remote desktop for surfing the web and watching media content and consume it on my large TV.

Which app would work best for this purpose?