PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air Update still waiting.

iTechInfo
Apr 22, 2010, 11:11 PM
It has been 319 days since the last macbook air update when will the next one be? Im still waiting to get my first mac which will prob be the air but if not the pro since they just released the new one.
When do you think the macbook air will be updated.
Leave your thoughts.

Mhkobe
Apr 23, 2010, 12:11 AM
It could be released anywhere from now to probably december. Intel is putting apple in a difficult spot; by upgrading the processors to core ix apple becomes limited to intel integrated GPUs that will give the entire system about the same TDP as current machines with much less graphics power. Apple doesn't have the space to integrate a second GPU for switching, and there is no better C2D option right now.

The only other thing I see happening is a major makeover of the MBA at WWDC; if not then, it could be as long as it takes for apple to pressure intel out of their integrated GPUs.

veloraptor
Apr 23, 2010, 12:35 AM
So I do!

I would not need more GPU power. A 9400 is enough for me. More RAM and a modern CPU would be a nice to have.
But honestly the main reason for me to wait for a MBA update is to possess a latest revision of this gadget and not something which is already archaic. It's an emotional thing isn't it?

Greetz from good ol' Germany.

Scottsdale
Apr 23, 2010, 03:09 PM
It has been 319 days since the last macbook air update when will the next one be? Im still waiting to get my first mac which will prob be the air but if not the pro since they just released the new one.
Leave your thoughts.

You're really giving Apple, and the MBA, more credit than it deserves. We have been using the v 2,1 MBA for over 18 months, since October 2008. The June 2009 update was nothing more than a bump to the CPU because Intel had changed the specs on the SL9x00 CPUs offering then a 9600 and 9400 instead of a 9400 and 9300. In addition, I believe Apple added 3w/hr to the battery to meet a Gold Star energy standard. Finally, it gave the USB to Ethernet adapter standard with each MBA. It didn't change anything with the logicboard nor any components like the 9400m, drives, RAM, drive controller, ports, display, keyboard, exterior, case, or anything else. I seriously wouldn't call it a rev "C" in terms of a real update. A real update would have made the MBA a v 2,2 or 3,1.

I suspect a new MBA by WWDC at the latest. I expect the same SL9600 CPU unless Intel would make Apple a higher clock speed SL series CPU. I expect the same CPU to bump actual performance by 30%. It would allow the same type of bump to Arrandale to the end user. It would occur by de-throttling the CPU. I believe the 320m would be used because Apple has a history of using one CPU brand, GPU, and basic board system across five Macs - 13" MBP, 13" MB, 13" MBA, Mac mini, and 20/21.5" iMac. Apple has used this strategy since October 2008, and it has been much more successful than the original MBA. I would guess 4 GB of RAM finally gets added and it will be soldered to the board. I expect a larger SSD in the high-end MBA.

If we wait until late 2010 or early 2011 for an update, Apple will be forced to move forward with either an Intel chip beyond C2D, AMD CPU, or something else (although realistically I would believe ARM is years away). I don't suspect Apple would go to ultra low voltage as the marketing problems would exist in selling a 1.0 to 1.2 GHz CPU in an "upgraded" MBA. With Apple's past strategy of using one basic configuration in five Macs, there is no reason to believe an MBA update with the 320m Nvidia GPU/chipset isn't coming by WWDC. Remember at the end of 2010, Intel's roadmap calls for complete end of all C2D CPUs. Apple has to have a new strategy in place for early 2011. I would guess there is an 80% chance of an update by WWDC as the MBA is terribly outdated and from all of the communication we can see on these forums or by listening to would be MBA buyers, people aren't looking for a new CPU or GPU. People would upgrade or finally buy an MBA if they had at least 4 GB of RAM and a larger drive capacity option. These are the two major concerns. At the same time, the 320m offers greater performance with lower energy drains. That would help the MBA out more than the other Macs set to use it. Then there is about a 20% chance that Apple will skip this update to the MBA and wait for late 2010 and a new strategy for the five Macs using the same setup.

However, we have seen rumors saying there is an MBA on the way. We have also read rumors that the Mac mini would be updated with the successor to the 9400m. Now that we know that is the 320m, and we know the 320m is 35% more energy efficient, the same strategy seems obvious as Apple has used in the past. The MB, iMac 21.5," and Mac mini are all due for updates too. Since the MBA is ancient, and these Macs are also due, and we have various rumors, I say all four of these Macs get updated quietly before WWDC or at latest at WWDC... again, MBA, MB, Mm, and iMac all get updates before or at WWDC. The low-end 27" and even 21.5" iMacs could get bumped to the same chipset/CPUs as the 15" and 17" MBPs also. There are two ways Apple could go with that. With all of the other Macs, Apple seems stuck with C2D and Nvidia until Intel gets some decent graphics, or until Apple switches to AMD.

bjavor
Apr 24, 2010, 06:26 AM
...people aren't looking for a new CPU or GPU.

Well, I for one am. The two main gripes I have with my current one is that I cannot play back any HD videos on it. It will stutter horribly. And the 2hrs of actual battery life... While I don't know if it's possible to improve the battery given the size limitations, I was definitely hoping for more RAM, a slight CPU improvement and a better GPU to fix the video playback. I'm not sure which of the three is primarily to blame for the current stuttering... Perhaps the combination of all three... (Note, that I have the 1.86GHz version currently)

PsyD4Me
Apr 24, 2010, 09:07 AM
Leave your thoughts.

what kinds of stuff are you looking for in the update?

JCT
Apr 24, 2010, 09:51 AM
Well, I've decided to hold out for an update as well -- flirted with a 13" MBP again, but just can't bring myself to do it as I love the MBA form factor.

So I just ordered a 64GB Runcore SSD for my Rev A to give it a little kick while I wait...

JT

bheckman
Apr 24, 2010, 10:37 AM
Also waiting for the next version of the Air. It will be my first MacBook Air. My wife gave me all the money I needed and more for Christmas (2009!) to buy a laptop and while I decided on the Air then, it would have simply been a waste of money and a disappointment when the new ones were released.

cleric
Apr 24, 2010, 12:23 PM
Well, I for one am. The two main gripes I have with my current one is that I cannot play back any HD videos on it. It will stutter horribly. And the 2hrs of actual battery life... While I don't know if it's possible to improve the battery given the size limitations, I was definitely hoping for more RAM, a slight CPU improvement and a better GPU to fix the video playback. I'm not sure which of the three is primarily to blame for the current stuttering... Perhaps the combination of all three... (Note, that I have the 1.86GHz version currently)

So when they release a version of VLC (or some other video playback software) with the new gpu hardware decoding api what are you going to want? Since we know that a 9400m is capable just no apple software exists currently.

Scottsdale
Apr 24, 2010, 04:50 PM

Has NOTHING to do with the CPU. The problem is running HD videos in a browser plug-in or a third-party app. Flash and other apps that run HD videos have never had h.264 access to APIs before. As of a few weeks ago, Apple has made access to h.264 acceleration via APIs. Now, the 9400m GPU will be able to easily run HD videos whether in a third-party app or in a browser plug-in like Flash.

You really need to learn about the difference of what is doing what and why in an MBA before you go saying it's the CPU. We have plenty of processing capabilities in 1.86/2.13 GHz MBAs. Where the problems lie are software applications, graphics acceleration, IO (drive & drive controller), and lack of RAM.

We would be much better off with a 2.13 GHz SL9600 CPU, Nvidia 320m, faster drive bandwidth, and more RAM, than we would be with a Core i7 Arrandale CPU at 1.0 to 1.2 GHz boosting to nearly 2 GHz, with Intel HD GMA graphics, and etc.

This is all Intel's doing. Intel wants people to believe they need faster CPUs, when the vast majority of normal computer users don't need faster CPUs. These people need faster GPUs, faster drives, more RAM and software that actually takes advantage of the components (like OpenCL, Grand Central Dispatch, APIs for h.264 acceleration).

EDIT = And I have never gotten only two hours on my MBA no matter what I was doing. I normally get around four hours, but if the display brightness is all the way up, WiFi and BT are on, I get about three-and-a-half hours.

Battery comes at a huge cost to weight and size. If you want a 10-hour battery, AND a faster CPU for your supposed perfect HD playback, you're going to get the computer you want in a 13" MBP. That is exactly what you need. An MBA isn't going to have an SL9600 CPU OR FASTER, and get 10 hours from battery between charges, unless we add about a pound of weight and thicken up the case just like the unibody 13" MBP.

You are missing the entire point of the MBA. If you want battery and high-end performance the MBA is NOT the right computer for you. If you are a business user, non-professional user, and need extreme portability the MBA is the right computer for you. However, you have to understand that 2.13 GHz is the limitation for CPU and a four plus hour battery in this form factor and at three pounds is all you're going to get.

Now, just think about this exact same MBA CPU de-throttled at 30% gain, an Nvidia 320m at a 50% improvement, 4 GB RAM, faster SSD, and applications taking advantage of APIs allowing perfect performance of HD video playback on your MBA... nothing wrong with this picture and it's all doable, easily. We just need to realize where performance comes from for HD playback, why we cannot get a 10-hour battery, in a 3 lb. weight limit and 1/4 to 2/3 inch thick case, and what the limitations are for this form factor MBA. Apple has done a great job of balancing performance and battery capabilities. With an Nvidia 320m, de-throttled CPU, super thin form factor, 3 lb. computer, faster SSD performance, and 4 GB of RAM, the MBA is as good as it gets with about five hours of battery (assuming Apple can use flat cells to improve density and waste less space than by the cylindrical shaped cells I am assuming are in the current MBA battery.

Scottsdale
Apr 24, 2010, 05:12 PM
So when they release a version of VLC (or some other video playback software) with the new gpu hardware decoding api what are you going to want? Since we know that a 9400m is capable just no apple software exists currently.

Correct. And Apple has been greatly limiting the OS X user's performance by not having this available. In fact, a Mac user would be much better off booting into Windows 7 and running these apps ON THE EXACT SAME MBA while using around 30% of the CPU processing power as is used in OS X.

The bottom line is the MBA is completely capable of PERFECT HD playback, but Apple has done its users a disservice and blamed it on Adobe's Flash or HD programs that didn't have access to h.264 acceleration of the GPU. It WAS sad that the Apple Mac, like the MBA, could perform amazingly in Windows 7 but in OS X was so severely limited. It is about damned time that Apple not benefit its Mac users by switching their Macs over to Windows 7 for extremely better performance and capabilities than OS X could provide with Apple's limitations.

Apple wants to be a monopoly, and it wants to destroy Adobe and other HD playback apps, so iTunes and QT can "WIN" the war. I believe Apple feels it has done enough damage to Adobe with the iPhone OS products, and that Apple has determined it's a consumer electronics company first and foremost (not a computer company) thereby letting competition have the computing software space because it can dominate fully by capitalizing and focusing the vast majority of its resources on iPhone OS and iPhone OS products.

Apple will surely sell a hell of a lot more iTunes video content to iPhone OS users who have to buy every bit of content for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch. I believe Apple is fully got its target now on dominating all iPhone OS product segments. It seems obvious by the move to block out competition on the iPhone OS application market and the move to now allow h.264 acceleration on the Mac, that Apple has a new plan to dominate the iPhone OS product markets and be happy with consistent Mac growth while opening up the Mac OS X user's experience to try to equal what is now available on Windows 7.

mobilevisual
Apr 24, 2010, 05:43 PM
Couldn't agree more. I bought my wife a Dell Adamo 1.4 C2D with the less than stellar Intel GPU, the little DELL plays Hulu HD perfectly ,with out stutter, without a hick up. Played the same clip on my MBA 1.6,9400m,SSD, it was horrible. It stopped more than it played. What a night mare. Apple is getting greedy and pushing deep pocket buyers (MBA users) to other makers. Let Adobe in already.

I will not buy another apple product until they develop a new one (or till the Ipad 3G comes out, which ever comes first). :rolleyes:

iMacThere4Iam
Apr 24, 2010, 07:56 PM
Funny you should mention the new MBA. I was in this bar in Redwood City, CA, and this drunk guy left something on a barstool that ... never mind.

WWDC in June is my guess.

Scottsdale
Apr 24, 2010, 10:57 PM
Funny you should mention the new MBA. I was in this bar in Redwood City, CA, and this drunk guy left something on a barstool that ... never mind.

WWDC in June is my guess.

I really wish this was more than a joke. The problem is Apple and Jobs are focused solely on iPhone OS products. Let's face it, consumer electronics is a bigger market than the Mac! I suspect iPhone OS products and the revenue streams that come with them (iTunes, iBookstore, and App Store), soon to be more than three of them, will be 85% of Apple's revenues within four years.

The Mac is just not where the focus and innovation will come from. It is obvious with these lackluster MBP updates, and no new innovation, that Apple has forgotten the whole fan/customer base who built Apple into the brand it is today, the Mac fan/customers. If there would have been something/anything new in the MBP update that hadn't already been in PCs everywhere it would have been fine. However, there was no follow up to unibody case, great capacity batteries, LED backlit Displays, backlit keyboards, mini Display Port, glass trackpad, and etc... nothing new. NOTHING NEW! The 15" MBP got a resolution BTO option which it should have had when the MBP was originally introduced and has been available in PCs for years (actually I have had 15" Dells with higher resolution).

The Mac fan should be worried. With nothing new in terms of innovation, and word that 10.7 development has stopped indefinitely to work on iPhone OS and its products, Apple has lost its focus on computers. Isn't there a way to split the company into two divisions where each doesn't have to stop all Mac development or iPhone OS development to work on the other?

I find it depressing. What surprises me is the Mac customer base continues to grow. Funny that now, when Windows 7 is actually better than the Mac, Mac is growing. I know that the industrial design and materials used in Macs are amazing, but they're inferior to PC alternatives in terms of performance.

I am frustrated. I like my iPad, I LOVE my iPhone, but neither of those allow me to create or accomplish real work. My Mac is my link to success and career... and it's going backwards. In fact, our beloved MBA hasn't had an update since October 2008. No longer is the MBA the leader of the ultraportable market. No longer is it the most powerful, thinnest, lightest and etc. no longer does it have the best display, most RAM, fastest CPU, largest SSD, best GPU, and even gets trumped in terms of software and user experience to Windows 7.

corduroygt
Apr 24, 2010, 11:32 PM
Couldn't agree more. I bought my wife a Dell Adamo 1.4 C2D with the less than stellar Intel GPU, the little DELL plays Hulu HD perfectly ,with out stutter, without a hick up. Played the same clip on my MBA 1.6,9400m,SSD, it was horrible. It stopped more than it played. What a night mare. Apple is getting greedy and pushing deep pocket buyers (MBA users) to other makers. Let Adobe in already.

I will not buy another apple product until they develop a new one (or till the Ipad 3G comes out, which ever comes first). :rolleyes:

Put win7 on your MBA and it'll also play Hulu perfectly.
It's not about the specs, it's flash shunning Apple.

For HD videos on your computer, such as mkv files, you can use plex for perfect 1080p playback. VLC is an unoptimized POS, just like Quicktime.

I still don't see ANY other manufacturers coming close to Apple's design, quality, and materials on a laptop, so I'm just going to use mine with win7, and also reserving a small partition for OSX in case I have to do any iphone/ipad development.

iMacThere4Iam
Apr 24, 2010, 11:40 PM
Agree with everything you said, Scottsdale. If at the WWDC Mr. Jobs doesn't introduce a highly updated MBA, then it will be fairly obvious that Apple's focus is now strictly on the iPad and iPhone 4.0, and all the dollars Apple will reap.

It really does seem like computers are not Apple's priority right now. I can understand raiding other departments for manpower needed to meet a launch date, but the MBA's potential has never been realized.
Apple could have blown every competitor out of the water from the beginning by giving it some astounding specs, and hyping the crap out of it so that Apple would be the hands down leader in the ultraportable market. This would have made the iPad launch even more frenzied then it was; a perfect lead in.

Instead, all we kept hearing from critics was that the iPad would signal the end of the MBA, and we didn't hear any denials coming from Cupertino. You'd think they would throw MBA fans a bone, and give some indication that patience would be rewarded.

Well, we all know how secretive and quirky Apple can be, so I'm gonna give it a couple of more months before I pronounce the MBA to be a lame duck. Somebody at Apple has GOT to see the benefits of having the slickest, most powerful ultraportable laptop out there, even if it has to be a loss leader. I hope they've got a few more surprises up their corporate sleeves.

MartiNZ
Apr 25, 2010, 03:47 AM
I second agreeing with Scottsdale. Typing this running Windows 7 on my '08 MBP and I really like the OS; it handles networking generally much better than OS X especially with the SMB speed issues it has had for a while now. In almost every way it's just as nice to use now, and ironically the main apps that aren't nice to use in Windows are Apple's.

And with what you say about slowing feature and spec innovation means that all that's left are the awesome Mac form factors, and I would love an Air if they could just refresh it. It is all a bit of a shame really.

MultiFinder17
Apr 25, 2010, 08:28 AM
The MBA is as good as it gets with about five hours of battery (assuming Apple can use flat cells to improve density and waste less space than by the cylindrical shaped cells I am assuming are in the current MBA battery.

They've been using the flat cells in the MacBook Air since its introduction - it was the first MacBook to use the technology.

If there would have been something/anything new in the MBP update that hadn't already been in PCs everywhere it would have been fine. However, there was no follow up to unibody case, great capacity batteries, LED backlit Displays, backlit keyboards, mini Display Port, glass trackpad, and etc... nothing new. NOTHING NEW! The 15" MBP got a resolution BTO option which it should have had when the MBP was originally introduced and has been available in PCs for years (actually I have had 15" Dells with higher resolution).

I suppose that you've never heard of the Aluminum PowerBook G4, have you? Introduced at MacWorld 2003 with a ton of great, new features, it then received nothing but minor spec bumps, and one screen resolution bump, for the next three years. It's what Apple does. They'll introduce something quite new and great, then just spec bump it for a couple of years. Then something new and great, then spec bumps. It's how they work.

Mhkobe
Apr 25, 2010, 11:46 AM

download iStat menus and watch as your air's cpu kills most tasks...

Cheffy Dave
Apr 25, 2010, 01:59 PM
Has NOTHING to do with the CPU. The problem is running HD videos in a browser plug-in or a third-party app. Flash and other apps that run HD videos have never had h.264 access to APIs before. As of a few weeks ago, Apple has made access to h.264 acceleration via APIs. Now, the 9400m GPU will be able to easily run HD videos whether in a third-party app or in a browser plug-in like Flash.

You really need to learn about the difference of what is doing what and why in an MBA before you go saying it's the CPU. We have plenty of processing capabilities in 1.86/2.13 GHz MBAs. Where the problems lie are software applications, graphics acceleration, IO (drive & drive controller), and lack of RAM.

We would be much better off with a 2.13 GHz SL9600 CPU, Nvidia 320m, faster drive bandwidth, and more RAM, than we would be with a Core i7 Arrandale CPU at 1.0 to 1.2 GHz boosting to nearly 2 GHz, with Intel HD GMA graphics, and etc.

This is all Intel's doing. Intel wants people to believe they need faster CPUs, when the vast majority of normal computer users don't need faster CPUs. These people need faster GPUs, faster drives, more RAM and software that actually takes advantage of the components (like OpenCL, Grand Central Dispatch, APIs for h.264 acceleration).

EDIT = And I have never gotten only two hours on my MBA no matter what I was doing. I normally get around four hours, but if the display brightness is all the way up, WiFi and BT are on, I get about three-and-a-half hours.

Battery comes at a huge cost to weight and size. If you want a 10-hour battery, AND a faster CPU for your supposed perfect HD playback, you're going to get the computer you want in a 13" MBP. That is exactly what you need. An MBA isn't going to have an SL9600 CPU OR FASTER, and get 10 hours from battery between charges, unless we add about a pound of weight and thicken up the case just like the unibody 13" MBP.

You are missing the entire point of the MBA. If you want battery and high-end performance the MBA is NOT the right computer for you. If you are a business user, non-professional user, and need extreme portability the MBA is the right computer for you. However, you have to understand that 2.13 GHz is the limitation for CPU and a four plus hour battery in this form factor and at three pounds is all you're going to get.

Now, just think about this exact same MBA CPU de-throttled at 30% gain, an Nvidia 320m at a 50% improvement, 4 GB RAM, faster SSD, and applications taking advantage of APIs allowing perfect performance of HD video playback on your MBA... nothing wrong with this picture and it's all doable, easily. We just need to realize where performance comes from for HD playback, why we cannot get a 10-hour battery, in a 3 lb. weight limit and 1/4 to 2/3 inch thick case, and what the limitations are for this form factor MBA. Apple has done a great job of balancing performance and battery capabilities. With an Nvidia 320m, de-throttled CPU, super thin form factor, 3 lb. computer, faster SSD performance, and 4 GB of RAM, the MBA is as good as it gets with about five hours of battery (assuming Apple can use flat cells to improve density and waste less space than by the cylindrical shaped cells I am assuming are in the current MBA battery.

Excellent assessment , you have made me reassess, my desire for a faster chipset, I will wait for 4GB of RAM, and add a 250GB run core SSD:rolleyes: and that should keep me within the parameters of it's original mission re battery life and weight

andrewp
Apr 25, 2010, 02:15 PM
Something should happen 3 weeks from now - from a pretty reliable source

Scottsdale
Apr 25, 2010, 02:58 PM
They've been using the flat cells in the MacBook Air since its introduction - it was the first MacBook to use the technology.

I suppose that you've never heard of the Aluminum PowerBook G4, have you? Introduced at MacWorld 2003 with a ton of great, new features, it then received nothing but minor spec bumps, and one screen resolution bump, for the next three years. It's what Apple does. They'll introduce something quite new and great, then just spec bump it for a couple of years. Then something new and great, then spec bumps. It's how they work.

I actually disagree with you about the MBA's battery cells being flat. It was January 2009 with the 17" MBP that they introduced flat battery cells in the MBPs. With updates to the other Mac notebooks they advertised 1000 cycle batteries and extended power between charges. Apple still listed the MBA's battery at 300 cycles as of October 2008. Since the October 2008 update, we have not seen any cycle count or information about the MBA's battery.

The MBA was definitely the first Mac with a non-removable battery. However, the rest of the picture is very vague, and it seems that Apple would be bragging about 1000 cycles and a flat cell with the MBA if it truly had the capability first. Even now there are no advertisements for the MBA's battery cycling 1000 times between replacement.

What are you talking about aluminum PowerBook? Seriously, everyone remembers the aluminum powerbook. You don't get very far in debating people when you immediately act like they don't remember or know crap. It is counterintuitive to your whole post if you want people to believe you and your theory. Most MBP buyers still wish Apple could use that strategy across all five of its Mac notebooks that use one CPU type, GPU/chipset, logic board and component strategy. The bottom line is Apple's strategy is about reducing costs by using one basic configuration across these five devices - 13" MBP, 13" MB, 13" MBA, Mac mini, and 20/21.5" iMac. The reason why Apple didn't give the 13" MBP a dedicated graphics solution is because Apple uses one base configuration across all five Macs. Only a strategy that allows one configuration base across all of these five devices has been used since October 2008 for the three Mac notebooks, and early 2009 for the 20/21.5" iMac and Mac mini.

Of course 13" MBP buyers want upgrades like better CPUs, better dedicated graphics, and other components that improve with every model. Of course these 13" MBP buyers were upset about Apple's strategy, but what they're not reviewing is how Apple does business with these five Macs. Anyone that thinks the MB, MBA, 21.5" iMac or Mac mini will get a different basic setup than the 13" MBP will be disappointed. Again, same strategy and it has WORKED. Apple saves money on buying 320m GPU/chipsets in bulk, saves money by developing one set of drivers vs. multiple drivers, gets to take advantage of making one set of OpenCL and h.264 strategy, and ensures excellent stability while doing it.

nukiduz
Apr 25, 2010, 03:00 PM
What would you think about a new MBA with a modified version of iPhone OS? Some kind of an iPad with a notebook form factor (a keyboard, you know). It would be lighter and have more battery life. Of course, you couldn't install regular apps but it could browse the web, do word process, use the app store... This may be the way to go for future notebooks and I wouldn't be bothered as long as I could download files. What do you think?

Scottsdale
Apr 25, 2010, 03:05 PM

That could be.

I don't know if there would be a point to wait for WWDC for updates that are already selling in 13" MBPs. What we have to assume is that as soon as the production lines open up, meaning the stock of 13" MBPs and demand for them have been met, Apple can move on with the other four products using the same strategy.

We will have to wait. However, I would be shocked to see an MBA that didn't use the same SL9x00 CPUs and Nvidia 320m GPU/chipsets between now and WWDC. I will also be shocked to see two RAM slots, so I believe 4 GB will be soldered to the board. It seems that 256 GB 1.8" SSDs have been ready since late 2009 by Samsung and Toshiba (although neither is selling either both stated would be ready by late 2009). Glass trackpad seems like an obvious last idea for an update too... it has been great on the other Mac notebooks.

Last thing, I could be completely wrong, but I predict a new IPS HD/OLED/3D display with either this upcoming update or the next one. I have been saying this for seven months and I am sticking with it. It wouldn't be un-MBA like to get an IPS HD or OLED display first. The MBA is a premium product, and Apple could use the display to increase the MBA pricing again. I see $1599 and $1999 being possible... I would be happy to pay more IF WE'RE GETTING MORE!

MartiNZ
Apr 25, 2010, 03:43 PM
What would you think about a new MBA with a modified version of iPhone OS? Some kind of an iPad with a notebook form factor (a keyboard, you know). It would be lighter and have more battery life. Of course, you couldn't install regular apps but it could browse the web, do word process, use the app store... This may be the way to go for future notebooks and I wouldn't be bothered as long as I could download files. What do you think?

Unless they implement a full file system and the ability to browse it I could not see the point. If they move any further towards content consumption vs content creation, who the hell is going to be doing the creating in the future? As soon as it loses the ability to run MS Office it pretty much fails in real world work situations; I understand the iPad apps' export to Office ability is even worse than the desktop iWork apps'.

I know Google is doing integrated cloud office stuff but that's ... Google, and Apple's is via MobileMe, right? I would say it would be possibly sadder than no update at all if they iPhone OSed the MBA.

roxygal9
Apr 25, 2010, 03:50 PM
So I was on the phone with Apple yesterday to ask a few questions, and make sure my law school was covered under the educational discount. I mentioned the Air to the guy, and he quickly diverted me to the MBP. This is the second time when I showed interest in the MBA, that I was diverted to the MBP instead. It seem it is like the Apple dudes are not even trying to sell the MBA, like it isnt important at all. Not sure why, as this will be my first Mac, but I have noticed this. :(

aaronfzr
Apr 25, 2010, 05:40 PM
I wouldn't read too much into it. I had a similar experience.

Apple will be keen to shift out their new toys as rapidly as possible, and commit as many orders as possible, and the sales guys will be trying to take advantage of all the hype to promote the new product.

Scottsdale
Apr 25, 2010, 08:26 PM

Terrible idea. I would be devastated... the whole point is if one wants an iPhone OS, and no Mac OS X, they should buy an iPad. I don't want to gain battery life at the cost of performance. Besides, there are ways to make the MBA run for 10 hours. Give it a 1 GHz CPU, ultra low voltage Arrandale with Intel GMA IGP only, and add a little weight and the MBA gets the same results running Mac OS X.

The reason the MBA has been successful is that the business professional or mobile computer user can get ultra portability in terms of weight and thickness, yet at the same time they get a full-sized keyboard, full-sized display, and performance capable of running Mac OS X.

What I do think WILL HAPPEN is Apple will eventually allow Macs to run iPhone OS in the overground yet in a shell (sounds odd but think about it). Imagine a glass trackpad that is actually like an OLED iPhone display... the user can interact with the iPhone OS and even probably see the Mac OS X desktop on the trackpad to select Apps and icons that run inside Mac OS X. I see some sort of convergence to allow Mac users access to apps running on iPhone OS.

zodqyv
Apr 29, 2010, 01:33 PM

I have no doubt something like that is on the way in the 2010-2012 timeframe. Steve has promised several new products for this year in addition to the iPad so it could be sooner rather than later.

iPhone OS gadgets are the future. I sometimes wonder if there will ever even be a Mac OS XI. I have often thought OS XI would be a fusion of OS X and iPhone OS. A few more years of hardware improvements and who knows?

2010-2019 should be even more interesting than 2000-2009.

jdechko
Apr 29, 2010, 02:33 PM
So I was on the phone with Apple yesterday to ask a few questions, and make sure my law school was covered under the educational discount. I mentioned the Air to the guy, and he quickly diverted me to the MBP. This is the second time when I showed interest in the MBA, that I was diverted to the MBP instead. It seem it is like the Apple dudes are not even trying to sell the MBA, like it isnt important at all. Not sure why, as this will be my first Mac, but I have noticed this. :(

I wouldn't read too much into it. I had a similar experience.

Apple will be keen to shift out their new toys as rapidly as possible, and commit as many orders as possible, and the sales guys will be trying to take advantage of all the hype to promote the new product.

When I worked at Apple, I probably would have directed you to the MBP as well, or at the very least least mentioned the Pro. For the vast majority of users, the MBP is a much better value, plain and simple, but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily the best for everyone.

<captain obvious micro-rant>
The pro is cheaper, and has better specs (probably overkill, even for most users). The air is thinner, lighter and looks better and if it still fills the computing needs of the user, then it's a viable option in my book.
</captain obvious micro-rant>

roxygal9
Apr 29, 2010, 03:35 PM
When I worked at Apple, I probably would have directed you to the MBP as well, or at the very least least mentioned the Pro. For the vast majority of users, the MBP is a much better value, plain and simple, but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily the best for everyone.

The pro is cheaper, and has better specs (probably overkill, even for most users). The air is thinner, lighter and looks better and if it still fills the computing needs of the user, then it's a viable option in my book.

Haha nice I like your rant! Well I have held off buying a MBP until the educational discount promo starts. And while I am waiting I can see if the MBA will be updated perhaps even at WWDC? :o

PsyD4Me
Apr 29, 2010, 03:48 PM

if you spec the pro with SSD, is it still cheaper?

Scottsdale
Apr 29, 2010, 08:26 PM

I agree. Unless someone truly wants or needs the ultraportability of the MBA they're much better off with a 13" MBP. With all of its capabilities, the 13" MBP is going to be fully capable for three years or more. The MBA is already seriously troubled for computing demands right now.

I would advise anyone that wants an MBA to buy knowing they should update their MBA as soon as the MBA is updated. Or they should wait for an MBA with at least 4 GB of RAM. Basically, the MBA will be completely capable if Apple updates it to... SL9600 without throttling, 320m Nvidia GPU, 4 GB RAM, and 256 GB SSD. When that happens, people will be able to buy an MBA that is capable now and a few years down the road.

So it comes down to what people expect from the MBA and for how long. If they are buying the MBA as a secondary Mac, it's much more likely to be acceptable in the long run. Those like me, who need their MBA to run everything for them as a primary Mac need the aforementioned updates before being worthy of their money and time right now.

I wouldn't sell someone an MBA unless they completely understood all of its drawbacks. Now if someone still wants an MBA knowing all of this, that's their decision. And in truth, everyone should know what they're getting before they buy a new computer anyways... so it's really not up to the salesperson if someone says they want something. If someone asks me what I think, I would tell them to buy a 13" MBP over the MBA UNLESS they completely understand the one advantage of the MBA, ultraportability.

roxygal9
Apr 29, 2010, 09:38 PM

Well, exactly my point that you pointed out. I will get the MBP with a SSD (256) which brings it to more than the Air (not by much though). Maybe that was another reason he was pushing the MBP? A few hundred more dollars in the sale? Or maybe they know the chances of it coming back to the store before the 2 week policy ends is high.

If the Air gets updated by June and has 4GB RAM i will opt for that over the MBP. I would be able to run parallels on it, and do all the word processing I need to do on it.

I had been leaning towards the 13 MBP because I wanted to do some flash/video editing, but after talking to some law students, i will not have time for that fun stuff :( So Air would be great!

Oh and lets not forget I am a girl, and well 4.5 lbs can get kinda heavy...

gwsat
Apr 30, 2010, 05:15 PM
I had really wanted an MBA but finally had to give up on the present incarnation. It's non upgradeable 2Gb of RAM simply couldn't have fulfilled my needs. I am now looking at the base 13 inch 2.4Ghz MBP, which I would upgrade with 8Gb of RAM and a SSD drive from a third party, probably OWC. Even with 8Gb of RAM and a 200 or 256Gb SSD added, the whole shooting match would cost less than $2,300. That's more than the MBA costs but adds an additional 6Gb of RAM and around 100Gb more SSD drive space. Best of all, such a computer would actually do the jobs I need done, whereas the current MBA would not.

jdechko
Apr 30, 2010, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't sell someone an MBA unless they completely understood all of its drawbacks. Now if someone still wants an MBA knowing all of this, that's their decision. And in truth, everyone should know what they're getting before they buy a new computer anyways... so it's really not up to the salesperson if someone says they want something. If someone asks me what I think, I would tell them to buy a 13" MBP over the MBA UNLESS they completely understand the one advantage of the MBA, ultraportability.

I completely agree. And that's the reason why I only sold 2 MacBook Airs during my tenure with Apple. People admired it, and when they asked about it, I told them what they could expect. The majority of college students/parents who came in were on a budget, and needed the best bang for their buck. Unless they were going into engineering, architecture or design, the majority of them walked out with the mid-range MacBook, as it really was the best value for any computer Apple sold at the time.

It's really a case of want vs need. That can present itself in a few different ways though. I want the power of a Mac Pro. The majority of the time, my needs are filled by the MacBook Air. I desire the form factor of the Air, but I'd like to pay something around the price of a MacBook.

My advice is simply this, and it's some of the best advice offered on MacRumors: If you need a computer now, buy it regardless of the specifications. If you can afford to wait, then wait, because something better is always in the works. Even now, Apple is probably looking into the next MBP (and probably even the one after that) because of the lead time required to create these amazing machines.

I don't need a laptop right away, so I'm content to wait.

jdechko
Apr 30, 2010, 06:38 PM

A 13" MBP could be upgraded to the 128GB SSD and still come out cheaper.

You could fit an Intel X25M 160GB drive in the 13" Pro and still come out cheaper than you could on an Air. If you did the Intel drive, you'd have a better Processor, better graphics, more RAM, a larger and much faster SSD, more ports, an SD card reader, a better battery, and a glass trackpad (for better or worse) for $150 less than you would the current top-of-the-line Air.

The only downside is that you'd lose out on that very sexy design and the laptop would weigh a bit more.

gwsat
May 1, 2010, 12:17 PM
A 13" MBP could be upgraded to the 128GB SSD and still come out cheaper.

You could fit an Intel X25M 160GB drive in the 13" Pro and still come out cheaper than you could on an Air. If you did the Intel drive, you'd have a better Processor, better graphics, more RAM, a larger and much faster SSD, more ports, an SD card reader, a better battery, and a glass trackpad (for better or worse) for $150 less than you would the current top-of-the-line Air.

The only downside is that you'd lose out on that very sexy design and the laptop would weigh a bit more.
The MBA's superb design and light weight have, once again, convinced me to keep waiting for the new MBA instead of buying the thicker and heavier 13 inch MBP and upgrading its RAM and hard drive. My current 17 inch MBP is handling my needs well and still has a year left under AppleCare. Thus, as frustrating as it is, I am going to keep waiting for an MBA upgrade.

jdechko
May 3, 2010, 10:51 AM
The MBA's superb design and light weight have, once again, convinced me to keep waiting for the new MBA instead of buying the thicker and heavier 13 inch MBP and upgrading its RAM and hard drive. My current 17 inch MBP is handling my needs well and still has a year left under AppleCare. Thus, as frustrating as it is, I am going to keep waiting for an MBA upgrade.

It's funny. When I think about it the way I wrote it, the MBP seems like the clear winner. But then thinking about the design of the Air draws me away.

I guess it's a lot like love. You can think with your head, or think with your heart.

(Or it's a lot like lust. You can go for the smarter one, who's not quite as good looking, or you can go with the skinny sexy one. )

pruhawk
May 3, 2010, 11:45 AM
It really all depends upon what you need your computer to do and how many you plan to use.

If you have light computer needs (email, light surfing) then the iPad is probably your best bet, if you actually need a computer but not for heavy processing then the MBA is great (especially if you link up with a bigger monitor and more storage when you bring it back to base). If you need more power, then you must either buy a MBP or a desktop (iMac or Pro) as your primary machine.

For my work the desktop is the best form factor but the MBA is then my choice for all of my mobile needs. This generation of the iPad is still a toy but I can see having a like device in a year or two after both Apple and the competition upgrade their function.

gwsat
May 3, 2010, 12:02 PM
It's funny. When I think about it the way I wrote it, the MBP seems like the clear winner. But then thinking about the design of the Air draws me away.

I guess it's a lot like love. You can think with your head, or think with your heart.

(Or it's a lot like lust. You can go for the smarter one, who's not quite as good looking, or you can go with the skinny sexy one. )
There is a lot to what you say. It's clear to me, at least, that the MBA's sex appeal is a big selling point. Of course, its light weight and sleek design add to its portability but where that stops being a practical consideration and starts being sexual attraction is anybody's guess.:)

It really all depends upon what you need your computer to do and how many you plan to use.

If you have light computer needs (email, light surfing) then the iPad is probably your best bet, if you actually need a computer but not for heavy processing then the MBA is great (especially if you link up with a bigger monitor and more storage when you bring it back to base). If you need more power, then you must either buy a MBP or a desktop (iMac or Pro) as your primary machine.

For my work the desktop is the best form factor but the MBA is then my choice for all of my mobile needs. This generation of the iPad is still a toy but I can see having a like device in a year or two after both Apple and the competition upgrade their function.
Thanks to my longterm use of 17 inch laptops I have completely weened myself from desktops. Clearly, though, the desktop is the only solution for maximum performance. Even a 17 inch MBP falls somewhat short of what even an iMac can do. On the other hand, it weighs only 6.6 pounds.

I have been enjoying my iPad but use it mostly for casual Web surfing and watching Netflix videos. I knew from the beginning that the iPad, at least in its current state, is not a substitute for a real computer. Still it is stellar at doing what it does best and didn't break the bank, at least when the "Apple Tax" is factored into its price.

jphlau
May 3, 2010, 08:56 PM

Hope the reliable source is steve job, not friend of a friend

Zulu1
May 3, 2010, 09:10 PM
That could be.

I don't know if there would be a point to wait for WWDC for updates that are already selling in 13" MBPs. What we have to assume is that as soon as the production lines open up, meaning the stock of 13" MBPs and demand for them have been met, Apple can move on with the other four products using the same strategy.

We will have to wait. However, I would be shocked to see an MBA that didn't use the same SL9x00 CPUs and Nvidia 320m GPU/chipsets between now and WWDC. I will also be shocked to see two RAM slots, so I believe 4 GB will be soldered to the board. It seems that 256 GB 1.8" SSDs have been ready since late 2009 by Samsung and Toshiba (although neither is selling either both stated would be ready by late 2009). Glass trackpad seems like an obvious last idea for an update too... it has been great on the other Mac notebooks.

Last thing, I could be completely wrong, but I predict a new IPS HD/OLED/3D display with either this upcoming update or the next one. I have been saying this for seven months and I am sticking with it. It wouldn't be un-MBA like to get an IPS HD or OLED display first. The MBA is a premium product, and Apple could use the display to increase the MBA pricing again. I see $1599 and $1999 being possible... I would be happy to pay more IF WE'RE GETTING MORE!

Does anybody want more than one USB port or is it just me?

Scottsdale
May 3, 2010, 11:35 PM
Hope the reliable source is steve job, not friend of a friend

I hope he's correct, but it seems more likely that Apple would follow the same strategy as last year and update at WWDC. However, I suspect WWDC would have a lot of upgrades if it keeps them all for WWDC... iPhone, 6" iPad, two new ACDs, MB, iMac, Mac mini, MBA, and the most outdated Mac the MAC PRO. Given all of that, it sure seems possible the MBA, iMac, Mac mini, and 21.5" iMac could all see an update before WWDC. We have read MBA and Mm rumors, so it all makes sense especially if they're "just" getting the same update as the 13" MBP.

Does anybody want more than one USB port or is it just me?

I would much prefer one USB 3.0 port to two or three USB 2.0 ports. I really don't understand people wanting to plug things into their MBAs? Seriously, I see the MBA as the ultimate ultraportable. I use an AEBS for wireless access to Internet, backup drive, and printers. On a random occasion while away from my home or office, I might plug a USB thumb drive into the MBA. I just don't see the point in a bunch of USB ports. It's sorta like the iPad. It could use one USB port, but who wants to plug in a bunch of devices to an iPad... it should all work wirelessly. Eventually we will get Intel wireless display tech and LightPeak. Beyond that I see everything going wireless, including power. I want to quickly achieve a complete wireless computing environment, and I would rather Apple focus on that than getting "more power" in Mac notebooks. The CPU situation is ridiculous, as people need to stop buying into this Intel marketing that we need a new CPU that's faster with every update. What we really need is a better IO drive controller/system bandwidth for the drive, more RAM, much better graphics, and software & apps that take advantage of the hardware we do have.

MartiNZ
May 4, 2010, 05:34 AM
I would much prefer one USB 3.0 port to two or three USB 2.0 ports. I really don't understand people wanting to plug things into their MBAs? Seriously, I see the MBA as the ultimate ultraportable. I use an AEBS for wireless access to Internet, backup drive, and printers. On a random occasion while away from my home or office, I might plug a USB thumb drive into the MBA. I just don't see the point in a bunch of USB ports. It's sorta like the iPad. It could use one USB port, but who wants to plug in a bunch of devices to an iPad... it should all work wirelessly. Eventually we will get Intel wireless display tech and LightPeak. Beyond that I see everything going wireless, including power. I want to quickly achieve a complete wireless computing environment, and I would rather Apple focus on that than getting "more power" in Mac notebooks. The CPU situation is ridiculous, as people need to stop buying into this Intel marketing that we need a new CPU that's faster with every update. What we really need is a better IO drive controller/system bandwidth for the drive, more RAM, much better graphics, and software & apps that take advantage of the hardware we do have.

Really nice points. It would be great to see the Air get to test-drive some of that new technology, starting with USB 3 which I'm not sure why didn't make it to the new MBPs. Wireless power is something I've always wanted as well.

It is interesting, as you say, that these days the CPU upgrades count for little more than a swift comparison for sales; having checked out the graphs at barefeats.com it seems that much improvement could be made in drive speed with the SSDs, and if they didn't increase CPU speed much, surely that could keep prices lower as it's already over a year later at this point.

stewie1
May 4, 2010, 08:19 AM

I know what you mean... I had a 13" mbp in my cart and was ready to buy it, but something stopped me. I ended up finding a used MBA with a 128gb SSD for $1000 and went for that instead. It's an amazing machine. The SSD certainly makes up for the slower processor, it feels very snappy. My only complaint is that the HD is too small to hold my iTunes library... and as I have discovered, trying to manage a large iTunes library over a wireless network is practically impossible. [Apple really needs to do something about the resource hog that is iTunes, but that is another discussion...]

The MBA is now my roadtrip computer and my around-the-house computer. Home base is still my old iMac. But I gotta say, the Air is pretty schweet.

jdechko
May 4, 2010, 10:52 AM
if they didn't increase CPU speed much, surely that could keep prices lower as it's already over a year later at this point.

The new 15" MBP is a good reason why Apple doesn't adjust prices throughout a product's life cycle. One day, it was $1699, the next day it was $1799. Although it was faster, people still complained. Now, imagine if Apple had dropped the price to $1399 and then it was $1799. People would riot at the Apple stores.

Apple works hard to maintain the perception of their products and part of that includes the price you pay for them. Which is why Wal-mart and Target can't undercut Apple's price by more than a dollar or 2 for iPods. Apple also doesn't care that you buy them from Wal-mart or Target. Because if they break, you're likely going to an Apple store for support. And when you get there, and you realize how cool the store is, you're going back there for your next purchase.

bjavor
May 4, 2010, 01:21 PM
I'm really hoping for an update before or at WWDC... (Though the new iPhone is a much more likely candidate and I'm not sure they will launch multiple things.)

I've almost convinced myself to get the 13" MBP. The long battery life is pretty sweet. (Please don't point it out that that's not the point of the Air. I know that. But one can still envy it...) Couple that with 4GB+ or RAM and a 256GB SSD and the configurations is pretty tempting. If it were not for that #$%^& mirror of a screen... I went to the local Apple store twice to stare at it for a while and see if I could not get used to it but I still do not think I could.

gwsat
May 4, 2010, 02:08 PM
I'm really hoping for an update before or at WWDC... (Though the new iPhone is a much more likely candidate and I'm not sure they will launch multiple things.)

I've almost convinced myself to get the 13" MBP. The long battery life is pretty sweet. (Please don't point it out that that's not the point of the Air. I know that. But one can still envy it...) Couple that with 4GB+ or RAM and a 256GB SSD and the configurations is pretty tempting. If it were not for that #$%^& mirror of a screen... I went to the local Apple store twice to stare at it for a while and see if I could not get used to it but I still do not think I could.
I almost bought a 13 inch MBP recently but finally changed my mind and decided to wait and see what an upgraded MBA looks like. As tempting as the MBP was, I just couldn't get around the appeal of the elegant design and light weight of the MBA. By the way, I hate that Apple doesn't offer a matte screen option with the 13 inch MBP, too. The things are simply inferior to matte, or it seems so to me.

MartiNZ
May 4, 2010, 02:50 PM
In contrast I would like to see the glass-cover display in the MBA. I've had enough of dust-under-the-rim displays and the glass cover makes the newer ones easier to clean in general. I think I've done pretty well with my '08 MBP though :).

As for my earlier comment about small ups to the CPU meaning prices stay down, I meant only per update not during one lifecycle. Apple does seem to have had problems recently with prices going up per update, and that is just compounded when they change things like max. RAM and make one want to shell out for that, and now the 15" hi-res display option and SSDs as well mean that prices for the machine one wants go up quite a lot.

gwsat
May 4, 2010, 07:54 PM
In contrast I would like to see the glass-cover display in the MBA. I've had enough of dust-under-the-rim displays and the glass cover makes the newer ones easier to clean in general. I think I've done pretty well with my '08 MBP though :).
You are right about glass covered displays being easy to clean. Although I dislike the reflections the glass covered display on my iPad creates, I acknowledge that it is, indeed, very easy to clean.

Zulu1
May 5, 2010, 01:32 PM
I would much prefer one USB 3.0 port to two or three USB 2.0 ports. I really don't understand people wanting to plug things into their MBAs? .

Uh...when you can only get Ethernet, and you only have one USB-Ethernet port and realize the doc/app/thingy you need is on a USB....Pretty straight forward in my opinion

Z

Scottsdale
May 6, 2010, 12:00 AM
Uh...when you can only get Ethernet, and you only have one USB-Ethernet port and realize the doc/app/thingy you need is on a USB....Pretty straight forward in my opinion

Z

Not when you're using 21st Century technology called 802.11n! I have NEVER needed my USB>Ethernet dongle. I always have it with me just in case, but to date it's still in its original plastic wrap. And it's RARE that I have ever needed a USB thumb drive for anything (maybe 10 times since I switched to the MBA). With Internet access through MobileMe to my AEBS drive at home, network access at home to the drive and printer, and WiFi when at all offices and home access to files isn't as demanding as requiring me to use a USB port.

The whole point of the MBA is it's built to take advantage of everything wirelessly. Sure if you want to sit everywhere with an Ethernet cable, two USB cables, audio in, audio out, a FW drive, and power all plugged in, you go right ahead and buy your MBP. I don't want the MBA to be burdened with anything it doesn't need... and one X USB is plenty sufficient for an ultraportable... and when the MBA gets its hopeful "big" update in Early 2011 it will probably just be two LightPeak ports. That way one can plug in a display or an additional secondary device. I love the MBA's design how all ports are hidden except the small power port. The port tray hides the ports nicely as the vast majority of the time it stays closed on mine - except when I am at my desk at one of three offices where I have 24" LED ACDs ready for connectivity. It will be even better when we're all using Intel wireless display tech and don't have to worry about that.

The point is if one is thinking about ports, just buy a damned MBP and enjoy. The MBA is all about wireless connectivity for the ultramobile professional.

Huubster
May 6, 2010, 07:17 AM
Not when you're using 21st Century technology called 802.11n!
There are many places in this world that doesn't have this 21st century technology widely available. Someone who travels a lot all over the world will typically visit such places.

The whole point of the MBA is it's built to take advantage of everything wirelessly.
Disagreed. The whole point of the MBA is to be ultra portable: great for people who are travelling a lot. Like me.

So yes, I am travelling a lot internationally. For me it means that I find myself often in places that doesn't have WiFi, but does have ethernet. I use the USB ethernet dongle quite often.

And imho everything wirelessly includes GPRS...nothing like that built into the MBA...
For GPRS I use a non-Apple phone as modem.