Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

143145-next_gen_iphone.jpg

Mashable reports that Apple may be planning for the next-generation iPhone to go on sale immediately after an introduction at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) scheduled to begin on June 7th.
Over the last two years, Apple has revealed both the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 3GS at WWDC. However, the release of the actual iPhone hardware has traditionally come a few weeks after the announcement. Our sources say that Apple may break that tradition this year by shortening the timetable.
An AT&T block on employee vacations for the month of June has suggested that we may see a launch sometime that month, but most observers expected that it would come later in the month.

Today's report notes that while Apple may be planning for an iPhone launch coinciding with WWDC, other factors may yet make the goal impossible. If the report's sources are correct, however, Apple will be moving the iPhone launch up as close as possible to that date.

Apple's WWDC scheduling for this year remains somewhat of a mystery. Early hints suggested that Apple might have been planning a late June timeframe for the conference, but Apple delayed announcement of the conference details well beyond its usual February or March window. Speculation has surfaced about whether Apple has been working behind the scenes to move up the conference and the next-generation iPhone launch after an Apple employee lost a testing version of the device in March. The device surfaced early last week in the hands of Gizmodo.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone to Go on Sale During WWDC?

Robbadore64

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
Speculation has surfaced about whether Apple has been working behind the scenes to move up the conference and the next-generation iPhone launch after an Apple employee lost a testing version of the device in March.

I don't see what difference a few weeks makes in releasing the iPhone with the leak being such a good bit of time before it. If anything I'd think they'd move up WWDC to talk about it (though I know there are several reasons why they can't/won't).

Still it would be nice to be able to buy the thing once they announce it rather than wait weeks...

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Apple needs to get those god damn new Mac Pros out before I fly to Cupertino and whoop someone's ass.

I am sick and tired of iPads, iPhones and iTampons and whatever else they deem needs a damn "i" in front of it.

-mark

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Sounds good to me. Though I feel like this will make the launch day a bit of a scramble if they release at the exact time of the WWDC presentation. Would be fun IMO.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Nah, I'm not seeing it. It'll be the following week.

You want all the news stories to come out when they announce and then have MORE news stories the next week when they're in stores. That's twice the advertising that you cut down to half if you do it all on the same day.

Besides, you want to see the (idiots) camping out at the mall overnight and they can't arrange that if you don't give them any time.

And didn't they allow you to order online for shipping last year? If you don't let that happen then the stores will be mobbed...better to let FedEx take on a large chunk of the work for opening day. You've got to allow a week for that.

It just seems like too many downsides. If anything, it'll be announced at WWDC with a sale date 1 week later.

Blizzardman

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Gilbert, Arizona
I wonder if Apple made the OS 4.0 event so randomly and quickly because they knew a prototype was lost and wanted to reveal the OS before whoever found it.

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
"Apple's WWDC scheduling for this year remains somewhat of a mystery."

the 7th-11th, right??
I solved the mystery!

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Realistically all we can do is wait and see. That would be great, the earlier the better in my opinion.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
If true, I hope to god its not just a US release.

As it stands, I doubt that it will go on sale due to the iPad production woes with screen shortages etc.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
The sooner the better, so I can leave Sprint after 10 mostly good years. But it's time to move on.

Oh, and if this is true, thanks Gizmodo.

This article was obviously written before the WWDC announcement today.

Umm...

Apple could put its next-generation iPhone on sale during the World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC), sources familiar with the situation have told us. That date could be June 7th, the likely date of the WWDC keynote.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Well it is possible that they've moved up their timetable due to the leak. The more time they wait before releasing this, the more time the competition has to steal their ideas. (larger battery, front facing camera, design)

Baadshah

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2008
Copenhagen
I hope it comes on sale in Europe and USA at the same time, and not like last year when 3GS came on sale in Europe 1 month after the US release:mad:

I am selling my iphone 3GS in few days, and i will be without a iphone until the 4G iphone doesnt come on sale....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.