Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenny Pollock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2003
Hollywood, FL
I'm working on an iBook G3 for school, and whenever we booted from CD's or other harddrives, the display would mess up- stripes, different colors, and my mouse cursor was a block! That startup image (the Apple on white) is crystal clear, but upon loading into the OS, it messes up. I booted from Panther, and just wiped it clean.. the whole install was messed up, but I managed to find my way through and format. After formatting, it was still messed up. I thought it was a hardware problem, but with the display looking crystal clear with the Apple, I figured it couldn't be!

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Macmaniac said:
Just make sure you have backed up any data before you send it in to Apple. Apple has a tendency to erase your HD when they repair it.

Excellent advice. It doesn't hurt to make regular backups of your data anyways, but Apple has been known to unnecessarily wipe hard drives during repairs.

Good to hear you qualify for the free repair Kenny!

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Actually your iBook may have a new logic board in it. Ever since mine was replaced with the updated logic board I've experienced the same problem when booting an OS 9 based CD. I don't have OS 9 installed on this system so I can't tell you that has the problem also.

EDIT: I was told when it was repaired that the new logic board isn't compatible with anything earlier than 10.3.2, they even provided new Panther disks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.