PDA

View Full Version : Optus ADSL and Mac

ozimax
Sep 29, 2004, 09:11 PM
I am running iBook G4 with 640mb, AEBS and AE card, I currently have dialup with Optus but want to upgrade to ADSL.

Optus claims it will not sell the product to Mac users, but i have checked with several in Optus tech dept and they claim there is no problem, except that they give no product support for mac (which is not a problem)

Can anyone see any reason why it would not work or is anyone connected already to Optus ADSL?

Many thanks,

Max

paxtonandrew
Sep 29, 2004, 09:24 PM
Optus are bull-**** artists. I have Optus@Home Broadband on ALL of my computers (All are Macs), and it works perfectly. OsX will automatically do the work, and when calling up for tech support, don;t quote an OS, unless forced to, and then tell them if they don't help, you will go to telstra. It worked for me, and they even gave me the supervisor.

The bottom line: IT WILL WORK.

Macette
Sep 29, 2004, 09:26 PM
But there are much better deals out there than using Optus - try iinet.com.au for example. unless you've got a great reason to stick with optus (like cheap phone calls or whatever), you might consider switching.

aswitcher
Sep 29, 2004, 09:32 PM
But there are much better deals out there than using Optus - try iinet.com.au for example. unless you've got a great reason to stick with optus (like cheap phone calls or whatever), you might consider switching.

Yeah.

Got to www.broadbandchoice.com.au / aka / http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

Click "plan search" on the left and put in what your after and check out the plans. Read the ISP writeups carefully.

yinyang
Sep 29, 2004, 09:59 PM
yeah you'll notice on whirlpool that tpg have announced new dsl plans - 1500/256 plans for $49.95 with a limit of 20Gb, which is a damn well priced plan if you ask me LOL!!

ozimax
Sep 29, 2004, 10:04 PM

Thanks for all the info, I'd like to switch from Optus but I am on 100 free local calls etc plus mobile phone still on contract etc, the whirpool site is excellent.

Max

neilrobinson
Sep 30, 2004, 04:40 AM
i can highly reccomend iinet, i have only 256/128 but want to upgrade. :( 1500 would be nice, looking for donations first but.

mmmdreg
Sep 30, 2004, 04:49 AM
yeah all that stuff works. I used to have Telstra ADSL which wasn't too flash hot but that was more of a telstra issue now fixed I believe. Now I got cable and they complain that I have it going through a router but it works for me (as it does also without the router) so who gives!

aswitcher
Sep 30, 2004, 04:53 AM
yeah you'll notice on whirlpool that tpg have announced new dsl plans - 1500/256 plans for $49.95 with a limit of 20Gb, which is a damn well priced plan if you ask me LOL!!

Thats an awesome plan. I think I might churn across..