PDA

View Full Version : Burning Word Files to a CD....Kind of Urgent

maise
Sep 30, 2004, 10:40 AM
I have a pb and for one of my law classes I get to take an exam on my computer and then hand the word file in to the professor. Since the powerbook does not have a floppy drive, I was given permission to put the file onto a CD. For some reason, when I put blank CDs into the computer, they do not show up on the desktop or the finder so I am unable to get the files onto the CD to burn. At the same time, itunes is able to record to these same CDs that are not showing up anywhere else. How can I get the word file onto the blank CD? Does the type of CDR make a difference? I hate to rush you guys, but the sooner someone could gived me an answer, the better.

iSaint
Sep 30, 2004, 10:42 AM
I'm somewhat of a newbie, and I don't have my iBook with me, but I think you can do it from a Finder window. I recall seeing a burn icon somewhere but I haven't had a need to burn documents.

Of course if you have Toast or something it should be relatively easy.

iMeowbot
Sep 30, 2004, 10:49 AM
Under System Preferences, in CDs and DVDs, what is the action listed for "When you insert a blank CD" ? When in doubt, use "Ask what to do"

yellow
Sep 30, 2004, 10:50 AM
Are you running Panther (10.3.x)? If so, please post the output (from the Terminal) of:

drutil info

Here's an example:
yellow% drutil info
Vendor Product Rev
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-105 A506

Interconnect: ATAPI
SupportLevel: Apple Shipping
Cache: 2000k
CD-Write: -R, -RW, BUFE, CDText, Test, IndexPts, ISRC
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, BUFE, Test
Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

yippy
Sep 30, 2004, 10:51 AM
Go to System Preferances -> CDs and DVDs. There should be an option for what to do with blank CDs. It soulds like it is on open iTunes, change it to ask what to do or open in Finder and your problem will be solved.

Edit: Got beaten to it :)

Rod Rod
Sep 30, 2004, 11:08 AM
hi maise.. here's what you do:

I recommend the "Open Finder" option in System Preferences > CDs and DVDs / when you insert a blank CD.

another thing that's helpful is in Finder, go to Preferences, and under General, make sure that CDs, DVDs and iPods is checked. Then you'll see your blank CD on your desktop.

yellow
Sep 30, 2004, 11:19 AM
Apparently none of us were fast enough. :)

iSaint
Sep 30, 2004, 11:25 AM
yeah maise, let us know what happened!

jeremy.king
Sep 30, 2004, 12:17 PM
I was given permission to put the file onto a CD

Whatever happened to good ol email? Why would your prof require you to submit a CD or floppy?

Le Big Mac
Sep 30, 2004, 12:48 PM
Whatever happened to good ol email? Why would your prof require you to submit a CD or floppy?

PRobably because you're not connected to the internet during the exam and because they want you to hand in the disk at the end of the exam.

All I know is that during law school years ago, we all had to walk down, with a floppy to the printing line. You had to be in line by the end of the exam, with your floppy and the file on it, by the time the bell rang (well, when time was up). Then you printed. Sure, email would work even better to prove it, but probably he's giving the disk to an admin who notes it was received in time, prints it, and gives it to the prof.

just a guess though.

yellow
Sep 30, 2004, 01:03 PM
Floppy.. floppy.. I know I've heard that word somewhere before..

maise
Sep 30, 2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks for you quick responses guys. All I had to do was go into the preferences and have it open up finder when I inserted the blank CDRs. I should have checked there firsrt, but I guess I sort of panicked because I needed to get it to work for the exam. Thanks again.