Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Optikal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
I have an old mac with OS 8.6 on it, and some important data. And it just crashed on me... It doesn't boot up :(
Is there any disk utility manager that I can use to fix it? I have the DiskWarrior 3.0 but that only works for OS X and above, I guess...

Any help would be much appreciated.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
So you don't have the original OS8 CDs? If you did, couldn't you boot up from those then run disk repair?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
If you have an open IDE connector somewhere on your Mac then you could also take the HD out with OS 8.6 on it and then put it in your current Mac and see if it mounts. If it does then you should be able to retrieve the files on that hard drive. Anything from an extra bay in a Pre-G5 PowerMac, or even an external FW Case will work.

Optikal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
I was able to boot up using the mac 8.6 CD. But I am unable to repair the hard disk. I have my files secured, but I would still like to get this computer up and running....

Is there a way to fix the HD?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
If it's a hardware failure that is causing it, no, you will have to replace the drive. If it's the original drive that came with the Mac, then it's pretty likely to be rooted in hardware failure. If it's just a software failure, you should be able to wipe the drive and reinstall everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.