PDA

View Full Version : Poll - If there is no new Macbook Air announced @ WWDC this June, what then for you?

Jobsian
May 6, 2010, 11:47 PM
Wondering what the population of MacRumors members are going to do if WWDC disappoints for those of us wanting an updated (Rev D) Air. I didn't have room to categorize specific windows-based notebooks but you can state them here.

xparaparafreakx
May 7, 2010, 01:10 AM
Get a rev c and install runcore ssd on it. I also will do the same if a Mac Pro does not come out. *ucking mother *uckers taking too long. iPad, iPhone, iPod *hit everywhere.

WWDC will come out with an SDK that can be used on an iPad. No need to buy macs anymore.

PsyD4Me
May 7, 2010, 06:33 AM
13" mbp, and to the other poster: do net bet on the iPad replacing computing as it is now....nothing beats the precision AND control of a trackpad/mouse

xparaparafreakx
May 7, 2010, 08:36 AM
do not bet on the iPad replacing computing as it is now....nothing beats the precision AND control of a trackpad/mouse

I hope your right, but 1 million iPad users can't be wrong...right?

PsyD4Me
May 7, 2010, 08:56 AM

And how many of those users have another computer?

JasG
May 7, 2010, 09:08 AM
I hope to get several more years of life out of my Rev C, SSD. Apple Care just replaced a worrisome screen. If at the end of that time, there is no three pound machine with OSX, I will buy the 3 pound machine with the best keyboard, irregardless of operating system. I am a writer and can't yet imagine life without a keyboard.

PsyD4Me
May 7, 2010, 09:25 AM
I hope to get several more years of life out of my Rev C, SSD. Apple Care just replaced a worrisome screen. If at the end of that time, there is no three pound machine with OSX, I will buy the 3 pound machine with the best keyboard, irregardless of operating system. I am a writer and can't yet imagine life without a keyboard.

Exactly, although the ipads keyboard is very suprising it limits what I can do and where

BlizzardBomb
May 7, 2010, 09:38 AM

The iPad is nothing like a fully-fledged computer and still needs to be synced up with one to actually be decent. The MacBook Air should barely see any cannibalization seeing as they're from different categories of computers. If Apple doesn't update the MacBook Air by August, they'd have completely missed the high-end education market which would be a big problem.

gwsat
May 7, 2010, 10:17 AM
I bought an iPad shortly after Apple released it. I like it a lot but it is limited by a lot of factors that I won't go into here. Suffice it to say, you have to have a real computer to get real work done, and the iPad is not a real computer, in its present iteration, at least.

tigres
May 7, 2010, 10:18 AM
No purchase,

Own a RevB SSD. Need more ram, but whatever.

DJ Kwai
May 7, 2010, 10:57 AM
I'm in the market for a MBA, but will wait to see if there is a refresh and how the new Toshiba ultra portable looks when it comes out. Personally I'd rather get a new and improved MBA because I love OSX, but those teaser shots and the rumored specs of the toshiba kind of have me excited.

Scottsdale
May 7, 2010, 12:22 PM
I want to thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for not including, "Buy an iPad" on this poll. Thank you for realizing that the iPad is NOT a replacement for the MBA for those who truly need an MBA to get the job done.

Thank you for yet another interesting, relevant thread, that isn't a copy of the same idea as are in three other current threads. Your posts and threads are sure joy.

Nice poll with some great options trying to sum up the real potential MBA customers possibilities. I certainly hope we get a new MBA at WWDC or one of the next couple of tuesdays.

Huubster
May 7, 2010, 01:08 PM
I want to thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for not including, "Buy an iPad" on this poll. Thank you for realizing that the iPad is NOT a replacement for the MBA for those who truly need an MBA to get the job done.

Ohw yes I applaude alongside you!!! :)

Only flaw is that this poll is not targeted at MBA owners, or people wanting to buy an MBA. Anyone can vote. Therefor the poll will not give any insight in the conceqences for the MBA if there is no update at WWDC.

gwsat
May 7, 2010, 01:36 PM
When I posted earlier i neglected to say that I really want an MBA. The only questions I have now are (1) whether Apple will upgrade the MBA's RAM to 4Gb (the possibility of Apple adding more that 4Gb very soon seems remote, indeed); and (2) satisfying myself that I can run Windows 7 and VMware Fusion satisfactorily on an MBA with 4Gb of RAM. I'll probably take a chance and buy an MBA with 4Gb of RAM unless I see something pretty definitive to the effect that 4Gb simply wouldn't be enough to fulfill my needs.

wildjohn999
May 7, 2010, 02:01 PM
I think you should add buy Mac Mini as one of the poll choices. MBA + MM perfect complements especially if you use MobileMe or some other type of network drive to sync the two.

lewchenko
May 7, 2010, 06:00 PM
I fall into the category of wanting a very light and portable internet browsing device (main thing I do on any computer). I was going to buy a MB Air, but in the light of zero upgrades, then was forced to consider a 13" MBP...

but have settled on getting an iPad. Remember my main use is browsing, and I also have an iMac for heavy grunt stuff.

So ... iPad's are cannibalizing sales of laptops (Im the proof), but I might change my mind if a new Air was released.

For a pure internet surfing device at a fraction of the cost of a MBP or AIR, then the iPad is a bargain. I accept it's not a true laptop replacement, but if your needs are similar to mine, then its a viable option.

I was therefore unable to vote in your poll without an iPad option....

PsyD4Me
May 7, 2010, 06:05 PM
So ... iPad's are cannibalizing sales of laptops (Im the proof),

wait, are you saying that you either:

-sold your laptop to buy the air?
-decided to forego a purchase of a laptop for the ipad?

Cheffy Dave
May 7, 2010, 06:21 PM

Right!:cool:

Cheffy Dave
May 7, 2010, 06:23 PM
Exactly, although the ipads keyboard is very suprising it limits what I can do and where

Limits you?how so?

Cheffy Dave
May 7, 2010, 06:25 PM
When I posted earlier i neglected to say that I really want an MBA. The only questions I have now are (1) whether Apple will upgrade the MBA's RAM to 4Gb (the possibility of Apple adding more that 4Gb very soon seems remote, indeed); and (2) satisfying myself that I can run Windows 7 and VMware Fusion satisfactorily on an MBA with 4Gb of RAM. I'll probably take a chance and buy an MBA with 4Gb of RAM unless I see something pretty definitive to the effect that 4Gb simply wouldn't be enough to fulfill my needs.

Should work just fine:cool:

Cheffy Dave
May 7, 2010, 06:27 PM
I still say, I'd love a touch screen on the MBA:cool:

gwsat
May 7, 2010, 07:35 PM
I fall into the category of wanting a very light and portable internet browsing device (main thing I do on any computer). I was going to buy a MB Air, but in the light of zero upgrades, then was forced to consider a 13" MBP...

but have settled on getting an iPad. Remember my main use is browsing, and I also have an iMac for heavy grunt stuff.

So ... iPad's are cannibalizing sales of laptops (Im the proof), but I might change my mind if a new Air was released.

For a pure internet surfing device at a fraction of the cost of a MBP or AIR, then the iPad is a bargain. I accept it's not a true laptop replacement, but if your needs are similar to mine, then its a viable option.

I was therefore unable to vote in your poll without an iPad option....
As noted in earlier posts, I bought an iPad early on and love it. Nevertheless, I still really want a full featured, ultra lightweight, computer. That's why I will probably buy an upgraded MBA if its RAM is increased to at least 4Gb. Scottsdale, I think, said somewhere that comparing the iPad to the MBA is like comparing apples and oranges. I agree. Their features do converge in some areas but in many others they are quite different.

quarterRoad
May 7, 2010, 10:37 PM
I'm in the market for a macbook air and I'm hoping Apple does upgrade it next month, but my gut is telling me that they aren't going to upgrade it until early next year.

The reason I don't think Apple is going to upgrade the macbook air is because there is no faster core 2 duo to upgrade to.

Right now Apple is using the SL9400 (1.86 GHz) and SL9600 (2.13 GHz) chips which have a TDP rating of 17W and use the BGA956 socket.

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyId=26548

Based on what Intel offers, there is no drop in replacement upgrade.

Of course there is always the i5 ulv chips that are going on sale in June, but Apple isn't going to make such a big change because then people will be wondering why the new 13" macbook pro got the core 2 duo and the new macbook air got the new i5 chip.

My guess is that Apple will skip a 2010 upgrade of the macbook air, just as they did with the mac mini in 2008, then do a early 2011 upgrade for the macbook air and a regular mid 2011 upgrade for the macbook pro, at which point, both the macbook air and macbook pro 13" will have the new i5 processors.

In terms of the poll, I still haven't decided if i'll get the macbook air anyway and just stick a fast SSD inside.

Right now I have a 2007 black polycarbonate macbook 2.16Ghz with 2GB of ram, so in terms of upgraded performance with, there isn't going to be any against a 2.13Ghz, 2GB macbook air. But hopefully the SSD will help a little. Nevertheless, for what I use the laptop (Text editing, SSHing, web browsing), the current processor and ram are good enough now.

For me the biggest reason to get the macbook air is the weight factor. 5.1lbs versus 3lbs.

Scottsdale
May 7, 2010, 11:48 PM
I'm in the market for a macbook air and I'm hoping Apple does upgrade it next month, but my gut is telling me that they aren't going to upgrade it until early next year.

The reason I don't think Apple is going to upgrade the macbook air is because there is no faster core 2 duo to upgrade to.

Right now Apple is using the SL9400 (1.86 GHz) and SL9600 (2.13 GHz) chips which have a TDP rating of 17W and use the BGA956 socket.

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyId=26548

Based on what Intel offers, there is no drop in replacement upgrade.

Of course there is always the i5 ulv chips that are going on sale in June, but Apple isn't going to make such a big change because then people will be wondering why the new 13" macbook pro got the core 2 duo and the new macbook air got the new i5 chip.

My guess is that Apple will skip a 2010 upgrade of the macbook air, just as they did with the mac mini in 2008, then do a early 2011 upgrade for the macbook air and a regular mid 2011 upgrade for the macbook pro, at which point, both the macbook air and macbook pro 13" will have the new i5 processors.

In terms of the poll, I still haven't decided if i'll get the macbook air anyway and just stick a fast SSD inside.

Right now I have a 2007 black polycarbonate macbook 2.16Ghz with 2GB of ram, so in terms of upgraded performance with, there isn't going to be any against a 2.13Ghz, 2GB macbook air. But hopefully the SSD will help a little. Nevertheless, for what I use the laptop (Text editing, SSHing, web browsing), the current processor and ram are good enough now.

For me the biggest reason to get the macbook air is the weight factor. 5.1lbs versus 3lbs.

It's very plausible that you're correct about no MBA now because there's no upgrade to the 9600. However, I don't think it's an accurate assumption for several possible reasons. The current SL9600 is throttled.

Apple could sell a new MBA with the same SL9600 running at 30% faster. Apple could further the benefits by offering the 320m Nvidia GPU/chipset, 4 GB RAM, and larger SSD. From the majority of the people I have communicated with, CPU and GPU are not the problems with the current MBA. The majority of people WHO WOULD OTHERWISE BE IN THE MARKET for an MBA list the RAM as the number one reason and drive space as the number two reason for not buying an MBA now. With the lower TDP of the 320m, Apple can speed up the graphics and de-throttle the CPU to give us a much better MBA with upgraded RAM and drive space.

It's also possible that Apple will get an SL9700 CPU for the MBA. I wouldn't count Apple out on this one. I could easily see a marginal bump to a 2.26 GHz SL9700 with no real change in the CPU itself. Intel has brought special chips to the table for Apple before. Relieve the throttling and boost performance greatly over the former CPU. It could be an even faster CPU, but this is a possibility.

A third possibility is Apple using the MBA to launch into the Core i7-6x0LM/UM CPUs. With this alternative, it's likely we would get ATI or just Intel HD graphics. The recent MBP update tells us this is NOT likely, but it's still possible.

A fourth possibility is Apple using AMD and ATI for CPU and GPU. I seriously doubt this one unless no update until Early 2011.

A fifth possibility is Apple not upgrading the MBA before or at WWDC and that would probably lead beyond C2D as Intel is supposedly done making at end of 2010.

I suspect we get an MBA with same form factor, an SL9600 de-throttled, Nvidia 320m, 4 GB RAM soldered to board, 256 GB SSD (or possibly some NAND Flash soldered to board for OS and apps in a hybrid drive), glass trackpad, and IPS HD display at WWDC for $1999. The display is a little bit of info thinking it will come within two updates and hope that it's this one. I thought Apple would introduce this new display tech in the MBA FIRST so this could still happen since Apple didn't give the option to the MBPs.

I actually think the update will come one of the two Tuesdays before WWDC. I believe Apple has enough to introduce at the WWDC, so it should update MBA before WWDC, unless the MBA gets introduced as the "one more thing" at WWDC as a completely new MBA then I guess I would be completely wrong about the CPU/GPU used in the new MBA.

Mhkobe
May 8, 2010, 10:52 AM
WWDC will come out with an SDK that can be used on an iPad. No need to buy macs anymore.

If I could run a decent SDK for mac and iPhone on an iPad, I would be a very happy man!!

Also, is there anyone else out there who would like a 15" MBA? It's really unlikely that this would happen due to the small amount of buyers for the MBA, however, I was using a 15" MBP the other day and loved the extra screen space. The MBP is too heavy for me, and I think that an MBA with that screen size might hit the sweet spot of around 4-4.5 pounds. I find that 4.5 pounds is too much for a 13", but would make sense for a 15"; I can use more screen space and lighter weight a lot more than I can use a lower cost (15" MBA > 13" polycarbonate macbook, at same weight).

gwsat
May 8, 2010, 11:07 AM
I actually think the [MBA] update will come one of the two Tuesdays before WWDC. I believe Apple has enough to introduce at the WWDC, so it should update MBA before WWDC, unless the MBA gets introduced as the "one more thing" at WWDC as a completely new MBA then I guess I would be completely wrong about the CPU/GPU used in the new MBA.
I certainly hope that you are right about this because it would mean the announcement of a new MBA would be made either two or three weeks from next Tuesday. That's not very long.

I would love for the announcement be another of those where Steve Jobs says, "Oh, and one more thing," and procedes to blow our socks off. Unfortunately, I suspect that your prediction of a pretty modest upgrade is the more likely outcome.

Steven in VA
May 8, 2010, 11:33 PM
I voted "no purchase, currently own Mac." I wanted it to say "no purchase yet; I'll keep waiting . . . " Is that what it's supposed to mean?

iCantwait
May 8, 2010, 11:44 PM
i7 17" 8GB ram and 512gb SSD is the next logical step

zedsdead
May 9, 2010, 05:35 AM
The last thing announced at WWDC is likely to be the iPhone like in past years. If they update the Air, I suspect it will be first like they did last year with the Macbook Pros.

Apple has also done away with the "One More Thing...". I could be wrong, but I believe the last time we heard it was when it was Safari for windows.

colourfastt
May 9, 2010, 07:31 AM
It means I continue to use my MBA.

gwsat
May 9, 2010, 10:41 AM
The last thing announced at WWDC is likely to be the iPhone like in past years. If they update the Air, I suspect it will be first like they did last year with the Macbook Pros.

Apple has also done away with the "One More Thing...". I could be wrong, but I believe the last time we heard it was when it was Safari for windows.
Yeah, my "One More Thing" comment was merely a metaphor for the announcement of a dramatic upgrade. Anyway, as noted in my One More Thing post, I think the next MBA upgrade is most likely to be only incremental, no matter how it is announced.

Deepshade
May 9, 2010, 11:18 AM
No doubt - the MBA is a lovely piece of kit.
But, with Apple being Apple, I have a strong feeling they pushed the envelope to gauge the user response and were ultimately testing the water for the jump from laptop to ipad.

Being honest - I don't see a real need for a separate ultra slim laptop, except for the fact that the ipad doesn't run OSX.

Do users want a giant ipod or a super slim fully fledged computer -
my prediction is the two will merge and we will have a version of the ipad that runs OSX.

Scottsdale
May 9, 2010, 02:25 PM
No doubt - the MBA is a lovely piece of kit.
But, with Apple being Apple, I have a strong feeling they pushed the envelope to gauge the user response and were ultimately testing the water for the jump from laptop to ipad.

Being honest - I don't see a real need for a separate ultra slim laptop, except for the fact that the ipad doesn't run OSX.

Do users want a giant ipod or a super slim fully fledged computer -
my prediction is the two will merge and we will have a version of the ipad that runs OSX.

I disagree completely. I believe the MBA is a test platform for extreme ultraportability in Mac notebooks. The iPad is a consumer electronics "entertainment" focused product. The average MBA target buyer is the traveling business oriented person. Apple uses the MBA to test ultraportability and the future of it. I see Apple using the current form factor in the future MB and MBPs. At that time, I see the MBA even furthering the focus on ultraportability in a MAC. The iPad is a different target being that it's doing the exact opposite for the iPhone and iPhone OS product line.

The iPhone OS products are going bigger and becoming more powerful and user friendly for entertainment. The MBA is going ultraportable yet providing the Mac capabilities the on-the-go professional needs for running real OS X applications.

gwsat
May 9, 2010, 03:41 PM
I disagree completely. I believe the MBA is a test platform for extreme ultraportability in Mac notebooks. The iPad is a consumer electronics "entertainment" focused product. The average MBA target buyer is the traveling business oriented person. Apple uses the MBA to test ultraportability and the future of it. I see Apple using the current form factor in the future MB and MBPs. At that time, I see the MBA even furthering the focus on ultraportability in a MAC. The iPad is a different target being that it's doing the exact opposite for the iPhone and iPhone OS product line.

The iPhone OS products are going bigger and becoming more powerful and user friendly for entertainment. The MBA is going ultraportable yet providing the Mac capabilities the on-the-go professional needs for running real OS X applications.
Scottsdale -- Let me preface what follows with an advance caveat that I don't pretend to know what the bulk of ultralight portable computing devices will look like 5 years hence. I must say, though, it seems to me that Deepshade may have a point. His suggestion that, as the iPad becomes more powerful, even to the point of being capable of running OS X, it may supplant the MBA, makes sense to me. I am certainly not predicting that it will happen but am nevertheless far from ready to dismiss the notion out of hand.

Scottsdale
May 9, 2010, 10:27 PM
Scottsdale -- Let me preface what follows with an advance caveat that I don't pretend to know what the bulk of ultralight portable computing devices will look like 5 years hence. I must say, though, it seems to me that Deepshade may have a point. His suggestion that, as the iPad becomes more powerful, even to the point of being capable of running OS X, it may supplant the MBA, makes sense to me. I am certainly not predicting that it will happen but am nevertheless far from ready to dismiss the notion out of hand.

I do believe that iPhone OS will, at some point in time, run in a shell or otherwise on OS X. However, I believe the purpose of the MBA is Mac OS X ultraportability, while the purpose of the iPad is extreme entertainment portability.

Mhkobe
May 9, 2010, 10:56 PM
I agree with Scottsdale's previous post saying that the MBA will eventually be what the MB, and MBPs will look like. The MBA is a much more practical device for most people (in my opinion, although the cost is a barrier for many), just like how an iMac is much more practical for most people than some huge box on somebody's desk. Of course there are some people out there (like me) who need a Mac Pro, and thats great, however, I do mockup renderings on my MBA, and its a little slower than my 08 mac pro, but I find it so useful, especially for coding. I hope that this transition begins with the release of a 15in MBA this WWDC, the extra screen space is so useful when trying to manage all my IB windows, and all sorts of things.

Deepshade
May 10, 2010, 02:39 AM
I think the ultraportable concept is the direction that the MBP will take anyway. It will get thinner and more powerful, SSD will be standard, processor power requirements will drop and processor technology will carry on improving. Its just not going to happen in the next two years. In that time I'm convinced the ipad as a form factor will be developed to be able to run OSX at a level akin to the MBA and I'd be surprised not to see the MBA be made redundant.

soph
May 10, 2010, 03:02 AM
I love that as of now over 50% of people vote for "no purchase". Of course you can't say for sure that in return more than half of the people here would run out and buy a new MBA were it upgraded, but I think you can say "a fair number".

Would be worth another poll, but Apple's marketing research chaps should do some work, too :rolleyes:

Scottsdale
May 10, 2010, 03:50 AM
I hope the new "rumor" on the front page is correct. This is the BEST MBA rumor in a long time. Maybe even the product number.

This leads to real HOPE. And it really makes the SL9x00, Nvidia 320m, 4 GB RAM, and 192/256 GB SSD MBA likely.

soph
May 10, 2010, 04:42 AM
I hope the new "rumor" on the front page is correct. This is the BEST MBA rumor in a long time. Maybe even the product number.

This leads to real HOPE. And it really makes the SL9x00, Nvidia 320m, 4 GB RAM, and 192/256 GB SSD MBA likely.

Yay, there's rumor! When did we last have real MBA rumor? :)

gwsat
May 10, 2010, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I was unaware of this interesting, and potentially exciting, rumor about an impending MBA update, until I saw your post here.

Scottsdale
May 10, 2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I was unaware of this interesting, and potentially exciting, rumor about an impending MBA update, until I saw your post here.

Does anyone remember the 27" LED ACD rumor? I think we're getting two/three new LED ACDs - possibly a revised 24" LED, but a new 27" LED ACD and 32"/33" LED ACD.

Included with the new "MBA" product number is a "K." The problem is, I think when there was the first 27" LED ACD rumor it said the new display is known as K-something. Does anyone else remember that? Does anyone else know if Apple uses a "K" as a code for the MBA?

I fear that this rumor is just a new LED ACD. I certainly hope it's a new MBA. I guess we'll see tomorrow if there's anything new. It's only 15 hours or so from now.

EDIT

I just read about this at MacWorld.au and it mentions the exact K59 as the rumored 27" LED ACD. So this could be a 32"/33" LED ACD or maybe it's actually the MBA. In the original article it says it is probably the MBA with so many of the product being shipped to Au.

entatlrg
May 10, 2010, 06:03 PM
In one way I'm very doubtful there will be a MacBook Air update tomorrow.

In another way a minor revision sounds reasonable and the timing would make sense falling in between two spotlight introductions, the iPad in April and iPhone in June.

Either way I feel like a little kid waiting/hoping with anticipation, lol.

soph
May 11, 2010, 03:00 AM
Either way I feel like a little kid waiting/hoping with anticipation, lol.

Christmas for Grownups :)
Who'll make the noradapple equivalent to noradsanta.org for when the international applestores go down/up ? :D

AAPLaday
May 11, 2010, 06:08 AM
Im giving it till next month, nothing happens by then i will get a MBP. Been waiting since november.

gwsat
May 11, 2010, 08:45 AM
It appears that those of you who predicted there would no MBA update announcement today were right. As of 8:45 AM CDT, Apple.com showed the MBA with the same old specs. (http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html)

Scottsdale
May 11, 2010, 09:17 AM
It appears that those of you who predicted there would no MBA update announcement today were right. As of 8:45 AM CDT, Apple.com showed the MBA with the same old specs. (http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html)

Doesn't mean it will not be updated before or at WWDC. Who was it that predicted two weeks ago that the MBA would be updated Tuesday the 18th? I forget where I read that, but for some strange reason I believed it. I still think any huge changes, or addition of a new tech like 3G/4G/LTE to the MBA, would warrant an update at WWDC with specific focus on the potential partner for that service.

gwsat
May 11, 2010, 09:48 AM
Doesn't mean it will not be updated before or at WWDC. Who was it that predicted two weeks ago that the MBA would be updated Tuesday the 18th? I forget where I read that, but for some strange reason I believed it. I still think any huge changes, or addition of a new tech like 3G/4G/LTE to the MBA, would warrant an update at WWDC with specific focus on the potential partner for that service.
That's obvious, of course. My comment was directed at those who had predicted that Apple would announce an MBA update today. Although it didn't happen today, I agree that it could happen on any subsequent Tuesday or maybe at WWDC. Obviously, nobody really knows -- unless their crystal ball is a hell of a lot less cloudy than mine.

Scottsdale
May 11, 2010, 09:17 PM
That's obvious, of course. My comment was directed at those who had predicted that Apple would announce an MBA update today. Although it didn't happen today, I agree that it could happen on any subsequent Tuesday or maybe at WWDC. Obviously, nobody really knows -- unless their crystal ball is a hell of a lot less cloudy than mine.

And I was trying to convey positive thoughts and energy willing Apple to update the damned MBA sometime between now and WWDC. I suppose being released at WWDC is a different MBA from an MBA being released before WWDC. At WWDC means something truly new, whereas before WWDC means same basic configuration as 13" MBP.

entatlrg
May 11, 2010, 10:14 PM
When do you think they'll update the Mac Pro's .... many people think soon. Maybe then the MBA will be the 'one more thing', or maybe the MBA will be the 'one more thing' at the WWDC?

I'm settling in with my 13" MBP for now ... it's not so bad, just a little thicker and 1.5 lbs heavier, fast and powerful...

gwsat
May 12, 2010, 08:25 AM
When do you think they'll update the Mac Pro's .... many people think soon. Maybe then the MBA will be the 'one more thing', or maybe the MBA will be the 'one more thing' at the WWDC?

I'm settling in with my 13" MBP for now ... it's not so bad, just a little thicker and 1.5 lbs heavier, fast and powerful...
That's a good point. If a Apple uses the WWDC to announce a significantly more powerful version of the MBA, the extra wait will have been worth it.

I don't know what to think about the Mac Pro. It has remained essentially the same machine, albeit a powerful one, since its release in 2006. Yikes! Honestly, though, I don't much care. I have hardly touched my desktop in the 2 years since I got an MBP and loaded Windows on it in a virtual machine. Thus, I don't need no steenkin' desktop.:)

Scottsdale
May 12, 2010, 02:46 PM

I believe the Mac Pro will get a completely new form factor/case with this update at WWDC. It is terribly outdated, and it seems to me Apple must really want to show this new Mac Pro off. I believe Apple will update the ACDs along with the Mac Pro. I expect not just a 27" LED ACD as reported but also a 32/33" LED ACD in addition. It just makes sense to show these new displays off with the new Mac Pros. I would love to need a Mac Pro as they're incredible computers, but sadly (not really) an MBA does everything I could ever expect from a Mac.

The thing I wonder, is how many products Apple could update at WWDC? I mean it's time to update the MB with a faster C2D and the Nvidia 320m. It's time to update the 21.5" iMacs to either the C2D with Nvidia 320m or the same route as the MBPs with Core i5 (mobile Arrandale). It's way past due for the MBA as we have mentioned. The Mac Pro is nearly 18-months old. The 30" ACD is like a dinosaur, and it overpriced and seriously outdated. I expect a 6" iPad. I also expect a new AppleTV and a new actual Apple television w/display itself altering how we all buy/view TV (remember rumors about Apple providing on-demand network tv). And it's also time for a new iPhone.

I am guessing we could see something like this over the next six plus months.

MBA updated a Tuesday before WWDC or if a major update at WWDC.
Mac Pro, new Cinema Displays, AppleTV, iPhone HD all at WWDC.
iPod Touch w/camera, iPod Classic, iPod Nano, and a 6" iPad at iPod event in September.
MB, iMac, and a new Apple branded Television updates in October.
Completely overhauled MBA and MBP in January 2011.

Anyone else want to take a guess?

PS - I imagine this will bring a few laughs when looking back.

jk1002
May 12, 2010, 03:06 PM
When it comes to product launches, Apple always always way under-delivers compared to what one wants.

I do believe they have the Iphone and thats it.

Mintin8
May 12, 2010, 03:28 PM
I believe the Mac Pro will get a completely new form factor/case with this update at WWDC. It is terribly outdated, and it seems to me Apple must really want to show this new Mac Pro off. I believe Apple will update the ACDs along with the Mac Pro. I expect not just a 27" LED ACD as reported but also a 32/33" LED ACD in addition. It just makes sense to show these new displays off with the new Mac Pros. I would love to need a Mac Pro as they're incredible computers, but sadly (not really) an MBA does everything I could ever expect from a Mac.

The thing I wonder, is how many products Apple could update at WWDC? I mean it's time to update the MB with a faster C2D and the Nvidia 320m. It's time to update the 21.5" iMacs to either the C2D with Nvidia 320m or the same route as the MBPs with Core i5 (mobile Arrandale). It's way past due for the MBA as we have mentioned. The Mac Pro is nearly 18-months old. The 30" ACD is like a dinosaur, and it overpriced and seriously outdated. I expect a 6" iPad. I also expect a new AppleTV and a new actual Apple television w/display itself altering how we all buy/view TV (remember rumors about Apple providing on-demand network tv). And it's also time for a new iPhone.

I am guessing we could see something like this over the next six plus months.

MBA updated a Tuesday before WWDC or if a major update at WWDC.
Mac Pro, new Cinema Displays, AppleTV, iPhone HD all at WWDC.
iPod Touch w/camera, iPod Classic, iPod Nano, and a 6" iPad at iPod event in September.
MB, iMac, and a new Apple branded Television updates in October.
Completely overhauled MBA and MBP in January 2011.

Anyone else want to take a guess?

PS - I imagine this will bring a few laughs when looking back.

Thats all fair and well, but seriously, apple have dissapointed me several times in the last few updates. WWDC 09 was quite good. New iphone/Macbook Pro's/Airs (I think).

I seriously just hope apple will pull great updates out of the bag this year.

calsci
May 12, 2010, 10:40 PM
If I don't get an air I'll just get the 13" pro.

Scottsdale
May 12, 2010, 10:57 PM

And that is a problem for us MBA fans. If people will be just as willing to buy an MBP rather than an ultraportable competitor, Apple has no reason to hurry with an update. If there's no new MBA now, it will only be because MBA fans are wiling to wait or replace with MBPs if they cannot buy an updated MBA. If ultraportable buyers were willing to leave Apple to get the ultraportable they wanted, Apple would be forced to update the MBA sooner.

The good news is we have a lot of rumors for the MBA. Heck, we even have a part number. This is the best rumor info for the MBA ever. I expect an MBA next Tuesday the 18th. If not then, then surely at WWDC. The information is just too positive in favor of an update. Usually part numbers happen within two weeks of a release for sure.

The place where Apple has truly failed us is the quality of the updates. Last June 2009 would have been an amazing updated with the $700 price drop if it just included 4 GB of RAM. Even right now, RAM is the biggest necessary upgraded part along with the drive. I wonder if a 256 GB SSD might be too costly for a $1999 MBA? I mean the 1.8" SSD in 256 GB SSD flavor would have to cost Apple around $400. Then there's another $300 for the CPU, and another $225 in other parts (that doesn't even count the possibility of an IPS display). That doesn't leave a lot of room? I definitely think it might just be a bump to a 192 GB SSD in the high-end MBA along with a $200 price bump.

At the end of the day, I don't give a damn what Apple charges me, I just want an upgraded MBA and I want BTO options allowing me to add to it whatever I want. It's time to bring BTO back to the MBA, as people can buy the iPad if they need a secondary entertainment device. Us wanting a truly capable ultraportable MBA aren't as worried about money as we are getting the most capable MBA possible.

It just makes a lot of sense to have a 160 GB HDD in the low-end, 160 GB SSD in the high-end, and allow people to BTO 192/256 GB SSDs in either. Same thing with the display option to upgrade to an HD IPS display. I just don't see RAM being an option, other than making 4 GB standard soldered to the board, unless the MBA design was changed; there's no space for two RAM slots.

thinkdesign
May 13, 2010, 08:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

I will have to choose between a refurbished 2008 Air (at a high price from the Apple.store, since that's the only way to buy the $99./yr. extra "1:1" help), or --- hold my nose and as a 2-year stopgap strategy, get Sprint's netbook. Or some crummy $300. netbook (plus big monitor which I need either way). What I can NOT afford, is to buy the current 2.13 SSD 'Air', and then buy another one when/if they upgrade it. I need it to write, lecture, keep tons of research notes and screen-grabs filed, and keep tons of photos indexed. I know I need to have Word and thus Office For Mac; apparently not the whole Windows o/s. (Thank God, for the latter. I just can't devote my life to finding & memorizing the endless parade of new tricks of the trade, needed to keep the Windows o/s and all of its tentacles, working.) In my financial situation, I need to keep my first 'Air' for as long as the first battery, plus the 1st replacement -- last a while. My arthritis makes weight a very sensitive (i.e. painful) issue. The demographics in many countries of increasing lifespan, increasing % of the population that's older (and so often has arthritis), and the increasing % of women in the workplace (more impacted by the anti-ergonomics of the MB Pro's heavy weight) --- are things Apple might intelligently plan for. Obviously the MB Pros should and will slowly shrink and/or lighten, AND (cue protests) the 'Air' could creep upwards a tiny bit over time, in thickness and weight in order to grow more durable and have a bit more functionality. /// As for these inane discussions of iPad vs. Air (and the Air getting squeezed out ... that's like saying that the invention of the unicycle means that the world only needs those plus tricycles - and thus, bicycles will disappear. ;o) /// Trying to guess the inside-baseball of Apple's marketing thinking, is the thing we can do well, the least. Especially while Apple's dominated by one personality who doesn't care for market research or focus group testing. What we CAN do well on these blogs, is just state what we need, and point out any design flaws/omissions which significantly affect us or people we know.

gwsat
May 13, 2010, 10:21 AM
I almost bought a 13 inch MBP two or three weeks ago. Had I done it, I would have upgraded it to 8Gb of RAM and added a 200 or 256Gb SSD. At the last minute, though, I decided that I could not turn my back on the MBA's incredibly slim form factor and ultra light weight. Thus, I am still waiting to see what the next iteration of the MBA looks like. Like Scottsdale, I am hoping that it has at least 4Gb of RAM and an SSD larger than the 128Gb SSD Apple is using now.

Scottsdale
May 13, 2010, 02:36 PM
I almost bought a 13 inch MBP two or three weeks ago. Had I done it, I would have upgraded it to 8Gb of RAM and added a 200 or 256Gb SSD. At the last minute, though, I decided that I could not turn my back on the MBA's incredibly slim form factor and ultra light weight. Thus, I am still waiting to see what the next iteration of the MBA looks like. Like Scottsdale, I am hoping that it has at least 4Gb of RAM and an SSD larger than the 128Gb SSD Apple is using now.

I know a 256 GB third-party SSD is going to be available within three months that will fit the v 2,1 MBAs. I don't know if Apple will use the same LIF connector in the next MBA, but it seems probable unless they change the form factor. I think that would be the hope. I wonder if Runcore is now working on a 256 GB SSD for the v 2,1 MBAs? I don't really care if Apple includes a 256 GB SSD for the next MBA as long as they have the same LIF connector.

I actually take that back - if Apple used an Intel 160 GB 1.8" SSD, I would be incredibly happy to give up a 256 GB SSD and would keep the Intel drive in the MBA. Wouldn't that be amazing if Apple could make that happen with a SATA-II standard 1.8" Intel SSD? It would be nice if Apple gave us MBA buyers the choice to upgrade via BTO to an Intel drive.

gwsat
May 13, 2010, 04:07 PM
Scottsdale -- I have been thinking a lot today about the MBA update as well as the tremendous power potential of the 13 inch MBP. The MBP with 8Gb of RAM and a 256Gb SSD is tempting but there is no way I would buy one before seeing how Apple upgrades the MBA.

Today, my mind was turned to the issue of whether I should get an MBA or a tricked out 13 inch MBP because I got an object lesson. I learned that a Windows 7 virtual machine running in Fusion really struggles if it has only 1 Gb of RAM devoted to it, so much so that OS X apps slow down, too. Although iStat showed that I had plenty of RAM left, I suspect but do not know that the reason OS X slowed down was attributable to the demands being placed on the CPU on the Windows side. I was backing up Windows to a portable USB drive and it just about brought everything I was running to its knees. Both fans on my MBP maxed out at 6,000 RPM. No such problems ever occurred when I devoted 3Gb of RAM to the Windows virtual machine. Anyway, the bottom line is that I am still suspicious that 4Gb of RAM would not be enough for my purposes.

Wild-Bill
May 13, 2010, 04:31 PM
Well, seems the "No Purchase - (have a Mac)" has it.

I hope Apple is paying attention.

I should start another poll about another abandoned Apple product...... the Mac Pro.
I'm so sick of all this iPad crap already.

gwsat
May 13, 2010, 04:58 PM
I'm so sick of all this iPad crap already.
I agree that some of the love for the iPad is overblown. It is by no means the equivalent of a real computer, even the now significantly underpowered MBA. Nevertheless, I have an iPad and have learned that it is an outstanding adjunct to a real computer. It is thin, small, and weighs only 1.5 pounds. It also has a 10 hour battery. The iPad is an improvement over a laptop for casual Web surfing or watching streaming videos. That said, we still need an ultra-lightweight that is also a real computer. That's why I am still waiting and hoping for a new MBA that will do most of what the iPad does, just as the iPad now does most of what a real computer does.

Scottsdale
May 13, 2010, 05:06 PM
Scottsdale -- I have been thinking a lot today about the MBA update as well as the tremendous power potential of the 13 inch MBP. The MBP with 8Gb of RAM and a 256Gb SSD is tempting but there is no way I would buy one before seeing how Apple upgrades the MBA.

Today, my mind was turned to the issue of whether I should get an MBA or a tricked out 13 inch MBP because I got an object lesson. I learned that a Windows 7 virtual machine running in Fusion really struggles if it has only 1 Gb of RAM devoted to it, so much so that OS X apps slow down, too. Although iStat showed that I had plenty of RAM left, I suspect but do not know that the reason OS X slowed down was attributable to the demands being placed on the CPU on the Windows side. I was backing up Windows to a portable USB drive and it just about brought everything I was running to its knees. Both fans on my MBP maxed out at 6,000 RPM. No such problems ever occurred when I devoted 3Gb of RAM to the Windows virtual machine. Anyway, the bottom line is that I am still suspicious that 4Gb of RAM would not be enough for my purposes.

I have a much more positive outlook for running both OSes with 4 GB RAM. I can run either OS X or Windows 7 via BootCamp on my MBA without any problems... and that's sharing 256 MB of the 2 GB to the 9400m. One thing when "testing" just giving 1 GB to either OS is it's going to leave some RAM available so everything will slow down as it's really less than 1 GB that's always going to be used, and also remember that 256 MB of the 1 GB is going to graphics with the current setup.

I remember a year ago before WWDC, when we were waiting for MBA updates, we all thought 4 GB of RAM was an obvious guarantee for the upgrade. Since we got a $700 price break, I didn't mind the lack of the RAM upgrade, but I thought we were going to get the "real" MBA update in late 2009. Has anyone considered the possibility of Apple not upgrading the MBA to 4 GB of RAM? I don't want to think about it, but it's an actual possibility isn't it?

Apple has disappointed us all MANY times in the past. I would think Apple has to upgrade to 4 GB of RAM but Apple has done what it has wanted in the past rather than what its customers want. We all know Apple is extremely stingy with RAM.

I suppose this is a tricky topic that many of us will wish to avoid, but how many of you have considered the possibility that Apple will not upgrade the RAM in the MBA? Would anyone realistically see Apple not upgrading to 4 GB of RAM?

This would be a good idea for a poll. Ask people how much RAM they want in the next MBA and ask people how much RAM they think Apple will put in the next MBA? Also ask if they think it will be soldered or changed to RAM slots so Apple can sell us the 8 GB of RAM upgrade? I would be interested to see those results.

gwsat
May 13, 2010, 05:19 PM
Has anyone considered the possibility of Apple not upgrading the MBA to 4 GB of RAM? I don't want to think about it, but it's an actual possibility isn't it?
Let me say what my daughter used to tell me when a prospect too awful to be contemplated came up, "Don't speak it!":)

cleric
May 13, 2010, 06:27 PM
I'd like more ram for VMs but I need to get a laptop by wwdc so if nothing is announced probably just get the current air 1.86 w/ ssd and sell my mini.

pharmx
May 13, 2010, 08:28 PM
Has anyone considered the possibility of Apple not upgrading the MBA to 4 GB of RAM?...

I don't think Apple would do something like this without radically changing the MBA's function or purpose. An update to the MBA that didn't increase the base RAM (or at least give the option in a BTO model) would have to provide some truly innovative tech to compensate and stimulate any sort of sales.

I still have faith that we will see a RAM, HD, and GPU bump at the very least by WWDC, and/or a redesign with killer features in early 2011.

tkingart
May 13, 2010, 09:42 PM
The iPad is a big kids gadget. There needs to be a really good update for the MBA. There is still a market for the MBA, I think.

gwsat
May 13, 2010, 09:48 PM
The iPad is a big kids gadget. There needs to be a really good update for the MBA. There is still a market for the MBA, I think.
The first generation iPad is, indeed, limited. Don't sell it short, though. It's already far more than a "kid[']s gadget" and promises to get much, much better over time. Even with the iPad's current weaknesses, Apple sold more than a million of them in the first three weeks. A million customers can't be wrong, right?:)

voicegy
May 23, 2010, 06:33 PM
I won't buy a MBA in its current config. I won't buy an iPad 'cause I have no need for it. Apple, you want some more of my money? Revise that MBA and I'll be first in line.

gwsat
May 23, 2010, 09:15 PM
I won't buy a MBA in its current config. I won't buy an iPad 'cause I have no need for it. Apple, you want some more of my money? Revise that MBA and I'll be first in line.
Although I have an iPad and like it within its limited sphere of operations, if Apple gives us a significant MBA upgrade, the only way you'll be first in line to buy one will be if you beat me to the Apple Store.:)