PDA

View Full Version : B&W g3 boot rom version is 152?

uvex
Oct 1, 2004, 06:56 AM
I have a 350mhz B&W G3 (just bought it a few weeks ago). I am trying to update the firmware to apple's latest 1.1f. However, when I download and attempt to run the firmware it says that I don't have a G3 system....system profile says that I do, and what's odd is that the boot rom version is 152. I can't find any mention of firmware 152 anywhere? Any know what is going on with the situation? I searched google and found no reference to that boot rom.....Thanks

rhpenguin
Oct 1, 2004, 08:06 AM
Your machine might have had an upgrade processor in it at one point. Could have some third party firmware on there to support a G4 or something..

Dont know what to tell you about getting the Apple firmware on there though.,

bousozoku
Oct 1, 2004, 09:26 AM
System Profiler says that my B&W G3/400 (now 800) has Boot ROM Version 154.

uvex
Oct 1, 2004, 09:33 AM
System Profiler says that my B&W G3/400 (now 800) has Boot ROM Version 154.
did you once have a g4 in there? Oh well, everything works ok I guess, strange I can't find info on it. I bet the previous owner did have a g4 in there, shame it wasn't included :(

yellow
Oct 1, 2004, 09:37 AM
Here is the link for firmware updates on all things Mac:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117

If you're not sure, just download an apply the update again. If it's already installed, it'll tell you, if not, it'll install it. No harm.

uvex
Oct 1, 2004, 09:43 AM
Thanks, I will read up.
Sidenote, is it possible to put a g4 processor from a sawtooth into my B&W? Or do I need to buy one of those upgrade cards that cost a mint.....

rhpenguin
Oct 1, 2004, 10:11 AM
Just noticed myself that my (recently purchased) B&W has a bootrom of 154..

Maybe that could solve some of my hardware problems.

bousozoku
Oct 1, 2004, 11:18 AM
did you once have a g4 in there? Oh well, everything works ok I guess, strange I can't find info on it. I bet the previous owner did have a g4 in there, shame it wasn't included :(

I've never had a G4 in mine since I felt the options were not good enough. The G3 upgrade was a much better deal.

rhpenguin
Oct 1, 2004, 12:37 PM
does anyone know how to force the apple firmware on there even if it says its up to date?

uvex
Oct 2, 2004, 03:23 PM
rhpenguin, if you or anyone else figure out to apply the firmware, please share with me (and others)....

rhpenguin
Oct 2, 2004, 04:57 PM
Will do.. I just installed OS 9 on a seperate partition so im gonna mess and play for a bit.

Hopefully all works.