Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
So, anyone think we just might FINALLY get custom SMS tones? Working at a university where there are iPhones galore and someone gets an SMS and 10 people look at their phones. :(

Something so simple, yet so far away. You all think we will finally get it in 4.0?

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
Oh hey there. :D

YES. I really (for some CRAZY reason) think the time may have finally come. If not custom, then they *have* to at least provide some additional/updated ones right? I mean, I know they can't tend to everyones taste but seriously? Those SMS tones are terrible... a dog barking... really?

DEAR APPLE: I will PAY you ridiculously prices for SMS tones... PLEASE...

On a similar yet sided note: (I love how some TV eps are now $.99 yet "famous" songs are $1.29... priceless... <---Get it? hahaha.

Hey make a poll.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Oh hey there. :D

YES. I really (for some CRAZY reason) think the time may have finally come. If not custom, then they *have* to at least provide some additional/updated ones right? I mean, I know they can't tend to everyones taste but seriously? Those SMS tones are terrible... a dog barking... really?

DEAR APPLE: I will PAY you ridiculously prices for SMS tones... PLEASE...

On a similar yet sided note: (I love how some TV eps are now $.99 yet "famous" songs are $1.29... priceless... <---Get it? hahaha.

Hey make a poll.

It's so long over due it's not even funny anymore. They don't even have to do anything but allow us to upload some. I guess they are wanting to implement it so they can make money off of it? I don't know.

Can't make a poll. Won't let me.

Vaco Deus

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I wish we will but it seems like Apple has a hard-on for denying us this basic feature.

I have been thinking about rejailbreaking my phone just for the SMS tones

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
I hope. Current ones are annoying. At least we can hack custom (FREE) ringtones. Kinda sad we can't personalize "the most advanced smart-phone" with a custom soundbit.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Well, I shouldn't have to jailbreak my phone for a custom/different sms tone at all. The 5 that are on the phone are a joke. Not to mention all 50 gazillion iphone users have the same damn tones. :mad:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You want customization, you'll need to look for another smartphone.

iPhones are not about providing the consumer with lots of customization options, but rather a highly polished, very consistent experience. to that end, I do not see apple providing such an option any time soon.

cobie454

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Dallas
O how i wish that Apple would add this, i'm tired of the same old tri-tone sms alert. I picked that one cuz all the rest are garbage, who knows maybe that will be another one of the over "100 features" coming with 4.0.

EDIT: Looks like we want be getting this feature!

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
You want customization, you'll need to look for another smartphone.

iPhones are not about providing the consumer with lots of customization options, but rather a highly polished, very consistent experience. to that end, I do not see apple providing such an option any time soon.

I can understand your post - however - changing the SMS tone should be the same as having custom ring tones. I am not asking for super duper off the wall customization here. Having custom SMS tones is as simple as it gets. How they "overlooked" this is beyond me.

I know why they didn't add it - because they can't CHARGE for it!

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
The SMS tones were doing my head in so I jailbroke my phone just so I could pick and choose some choice tones.

I now have HAL from 2001 telling me somewhat hauntingly "there is a message for you" when ever I get a text...its great!

With the new iPhone I read there will actually only be two tones to chose from.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
Apple? CUSTOMIZATION? You must be jokin.

The SMS tones were doing my head in so I jailbroke my phone just so I could pick and choose some choice tones.

I now have HAL from 2001 telling me somewhat hauntingly "there is a message for you" when ever I get a text...its great!

Ahaha imagine being in class and everyone has an iphone. One beep and everyone looks at their phones. That would be so annoying.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008

That sounds awesome. :)

Apple? CUSTOMIZATION? You must be jokin.

Ahaha imagine being in class and everyone has an iphone. One beep and everyone looks at their phones. That would be so annoying.

It already is annoying. I think they want the world to know what the damn iPhone sounds like when it gets an SMS. Most of us get the point already. :p

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Why is it so hard to incorporate custom sms tones? Does it harm Apple's iTunes business model in some way? It almost ticks me off because I shouldn't have to jailbreak to use this feature. All iPhone users checking their phones when someone gets a text because they're identical tones :(

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can understand your post - however - changing the SMS tone should be the same as having custom ring tones.
I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that with apple you need to accept the fact that you will have less choices.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Why is it so hard to incorporate custom sms tones? Does it harm Apple's iTunes business model in some way? It almost ticks me off because I shouldn't have to jailbreak to use this feature. All iPhone users checking their phones when someone gets a text because they're identical tones :(

It's not hard, it's just not high on Steve's priority list.

Jai.Mac

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Someone should send Steve Jobs an email asking about SMS tones and see if we get a reply back, however terse it may be... lol

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
What's his email? I will send him one. See if he answers. Find out why we can't get custom SMS tones!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.