Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
Wow. At least Google isn't pretending that nothing's wrong, as so many other tech companies do. I thought the Nexus 1 was gonna sell like crazy. Glad they will try a more mainstream approach to selling that phone.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Anyone know where these phones will be sold at? Like Best Buys and stuff? I could just imagine the Geek Squad now...."Yeah, sure you can use this thing on Sprint, just put your SIM card in!"

Glad they're going this route though, the N1 is an excellent phone and this should give sales a huge boost once people can use it.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
http://www.pcworld.com/article/196330/googles_nexus_one_web_store_going_out_of_business.html

I really liked the idea of this, but it may be one of those things where it was way ahead of its time (like the Newton). I'd personally love to select a phone then select a carrier, although I'm locked to a BB for work.

A retarded sales strategy has nothing to do with innovation that people aren't prepared for.

No one's interested in Google's rebadged HTC anyway, so they might as well just can it.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
A retarded sales strategy has nothing to do with innovation that people aren't prepared for.

No one's interested in Google's rebadged HTC anyway, so they might as well just can it.

Right. It doesn't have an Apple logo on it, so of course it automatically sucks. :rolleyes:

Anyway, there were a few problems here. I think part of it is that most people in the U.S. simply aren't ready to shell out all the money up front for a phone. They have been brainwashed into thinking that the low price upfront with a 2 year lock into a contract is the only way to do things. And it's not just phones. too many people in this country are only concerned with "how much per month" instead of "how much".

Also, they released it on the smallest of the major carriers at first. T-Mobile may be great, but it is still small. Google also did no mainstream advertising for the phone. Google's lack of customer service probably played a part. One of the advantages of buying from a carrier store or somewhere like Best Buy is that when you have a problem with a device, you can take it back to them. Try that with Google. Finally, when buying something like a phone, many people like to get their hands on it to see it in action, see how it feels, etc.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
How do you add someone to a block list? Very often in threads dealing with phone companies or mobile technology, which I love to visit and browse through, what are typically decent conversations are spoiled by the below quoted guy and his misdirected passion. It's annoying and I would rather just not have to see it.

Getting warmer.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
How do you add someone to a block list? Very often in threads dealing with phone companies or mobile technology, which I love to visit and browse through, what are typically decent conversations are spoiled by the below quoted guy and his misdirected passion. It's annoying and I would rather just not have to see it.

User CP ---> Buddy/Ignore Lists

Cheers.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Overall google misunderstood the market, initially messed up with support and put themselves in direct competition with the companies they needed for android to succeed. The odds were against them

With that said the nexus was a great phone that exceeded the iPhone in many ways. Probably one of the first android phones to do this.

It's up to apple to leap frog htc in their designs and not rest on their laurels. Having a annual update of the phone vs monthly hurts apple as well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.