PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac Inventory: Zero, New PowerMacs on the Way...

arn
Aug 9, 2002, 06:03 PM
According to reports, Ingram Micro is down down to 0 (zero) inventory on current PowerMacs. As well, new SKU's have been added that are not yet available to resellers.

PowerMac supplies have been dwindling (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/07/20020731153825.shtml) over the past few weeks.

Previously expected at MacWorld expo, word leaked that updates should not be expected until mid August (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/07/20020709212103.shtml). According to CNet (http://news.com.com/2100-1040-942608.html), these new PowerMacs will sport "processors in excess of 1.2GHz, along with faster memory and a faster system bus".

cyberfunk
Aug 9, 2002, 06:07 PM
I need a new powermac, and NOW!! (for college) I refuse to be stuck with yesteryear's tech !

cyberfunk
Aug 9, 2002, 06:08 PM
I really hope they come out the 13th, because I will be forced to do something drastic like go to the other side if they dont, come on apple.. come ooooonn...

King Cobra
Aug 9, 2002, 06:14 PM
DON'T DO IT, FUNK!!
You will pay dearly.

Why else would these rumors be wrong? Apple can't afford to ship any later, as people like yourself have waited long enough. Although many of us were :mad:^2 about no new PowerMacs at the NY Expo I think the wait will be well deserved.

cyberfunk
Aug 9, 2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
Why else would these rumors be wrong? Apple can't afford to ship any later, as people like yourself have waited long enough. Although many of us were :mad:^2 about no new PowerMacs at the NY Expo I think the wait will be well deserved. [/B]

I really hope your right, it's jus that I've sat out the last few months on a duron 1 Ghz, and a Beige G3 333Mhz, and the duron's been looking awful nice.. I mean, put it up against a G4 1.2 Ghz, and bam, but still.. Dual AMDs, for the price, are veeeerrry tempting, and I've been a mac user for my whole frikin life... I dont want to go to the dark side damn it.. help, please ? (hope ?)

Megaquad
Aug 9, 2002, 06:30 PM
How do you tolerate Windows,cyberfunk? You'll be floating in front of your screen like a damned soul.. :D

neilt
Aug 9, 2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by cyberfunk
I really hope they come out the 13th, because I will be forced to do something drastic like go to the other side if they dont, come on apple.. come ooooonn...

no offense to you personally... but i hate comments like this. you might as well say "If Mercedes doesn't come out with a twin-engined 600hp convertible next week, I'm going to buy a Ford Mustang"

yeah..i am sick of the car clichés too, but couldn't think of anything else.:D

daRAT
Aug 9, 2002, 06:40 PM
Funk,

Hang in there, I really think we will see these new machines within 4 days. I am a pc and Mac user, and from what I am hearing the school buying spree has started, Apple *needs* to offer something new soon.

Mid august would work, this would give a 2 week or so shipping date :]

Question, OT, had anyone had experience with Sound stucks and the iSub ? Is it worth the 200$ to buy them for my Cube and replace the round standard speakers? I do watch all my dvd's on the Cube.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, Funk you won't be happy going to a pc after using a mac all your life, stick with Macs :D

King Cobra
Aug 9, 2002, 06:43 PM
>car clichés

I wouldn't have that much info on cars, so I'm not that offended.

Megaquad, how can his soul even be damned if he doesn't have one when switching to peecees? Still Plates owns 95% (or whatever the GD number is) of computer user souls. With SJ, you get a more powerful soul and you start to hate soulless people (called trolls). :D

I have some ideas on what will happen soon, but I am wondering what will happen with prices. I did say a while back that IF the new PowerMacs (the upcoming ones) did have DDR-RAM and these new processors, the prices would go way up. I'm still looking forward to $3499 being the ABSOLUTE HIGHEST, but I have a bad feeling about the price going higher...

This is one of those times you want to be proved wrong. :cool:

peterjhill
Aug 9, 2002, 06:48 PM
So what are the current bets on when the new pmacs will be delievered. You know what would be funny, we should have a birthday pool, ie. Pick a date and time that the new powermacs are released and whoever is closest wins the pool.

Not very practical, but hey

My bet is Monday at 10:35 Pac time.

King Cobra
Aug 9, 2002, 06:58 PM
I'll say the morning at 12AM (0:00 for our metric friends) on August 13.

daRAT, did you check your PM?

Megaquad
Aug 9, 2002, 07:07 PM

It's my freaking birthday!

pilotgi
Aug 9, 2002, 07:12 PM
I just bought the Monsoon Planar 9 2.1 system for 100 bucks. They use flat panel ribbon technology for the satellites and a 38watt subwoofer.

I've never heard the soundstiks, but for $100, these Monsoon sound great.

Especially the sub.

King Cobra
Aug 9, 2002, 07:16 PM
>It's my freaking birthday!

Happy freakin' birthday. Now quit spamming! :p

cyberfunk
Aug 9, 2002, 07:16 PM
It's just that.. the duron is so frikin fast compared to my poor beige, even tho,m tho BSD's DO annoy the ell out me, but then the game are better, but I love mac, and I own stock, oh dear... I really really want apple to give me a reason, any reason to stay with the mac, I need new hardware, apple, and I need it NOW

MacMaster
Aug 9, 2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by pilotgi
I just bought the Monsoon Planar 9 2.1 system for 100 bucks. They use flat panel ribbon technology for the satellites and a 38watt subwoofer.

I've never heard the soundstiks, but for $100, these Monsoon sound great.

Especially the sub.
I think that's what I'm going to get. See my thread on that here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=9149
:p :D :p :D

MacArtist
Aug 9, 2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by daRAT
Question, OT, had anyone had experience with Sound stucks and the iSub ? Is it worth the 200$ to buy them for my Cube and replace the round standard speakers? I do watch all my dvd's on the Cube.

The Sound Sticks are great, nice full sound and kickin' base. Whether they're worth $200 is open for discussion. They fit in well with the whole Apple look, and is why I'd buy them, but you can get the JBL Sonnet speakers for half the price and there isn't most difference in sound quality. The JBL's require a 1/8" plug so I'm not sure if they'll even work with the Cube. I haven't seen a Cube in a while so I'm not sure.

King Cobra
Aug 9, 2002, 07:37 PM
I recommend the Cambridge Soundworks, for ANYONE who is interested in upgrading their current speakers. Check out this thread for some more info.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthr...p?threadid=9149

Gee, what a coincidence, isn't it? :p

MacMaster
Aug 9, 2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by MacArtist

The Sound Sticks are great, nice full sound and kickin' base. Whether they're worth $200 is open for discussion. They fit in well with the whole Apple look, and is why I'd buy them, but you can get the JBL Sonnet speakers for half the price and there isn't most difference in sound quality. The JBL's require a 1/8" plug so I'm not sure if they'll even work with the Cube. I haven't seen a Cube in a while so I'm not sure.
No, they won't work with the cube. You have to get an iMic (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/index.html).
Now back to the original topic please...

PS: KC, your link is bad. It is kinda wierd that this discussion on the same day that I make that thread!

Moonlight
Aug 9, 2002, 07:42 PM
Funk,

Hang in there, I really think we will see these new machines within 4 days. I am a pc and Mac user, and from what I am hearing the school buying spree has started, Apple *needs* to offer something new soon.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, Funk you won't be happy going to a pc after using a mac all your life, stick with Macs :D

I have the soundsticks at work and monsoon at home, i must say that the sub is better in the SS, but the actual speakers are MUCH better coming from the flat panel monsoon. And i have found that the SS plug into USB, they are limited to onll be used in a mac, no stereo use...AND they crash the USB hub every other week ( any and all hubs I try it on, even plugged directly into the computer)..Go for the monsoon, unless you are inlove with the SS design.

Sepulchre
Aug 9, 2002, 07:50 PM
Question, OT, had anyone had experience with Sound stucks and the iSub ? Is it worth the 200$

I got mine as an engagement present from my other half when they first came out, in my experience they are the best speakers i've ever heard on a mac, I cant recommend them enough!

cyberfunk
Aug 9, 2002, 07:55 PM
This is a thread about new powermacs people... but since everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.. I'm going to be hypocritical, and say that cambridge soundworks stuff ROX.

carta
Aug 9, 2002, 08:13 PM
Nice to read a hot rumor about the (hopefully) near arrival of new PowerMacs. I'd been thinking about a fast AMD machine to use as a background production unit, churning out big images in Photoshop before networking them over to my underpowered Mac for layout and export.

The allure on the Wintel / WinAmd side is that you can upgrade the guts of the machine at the drop of a hat (and several hundred bucks). Sometimes, you coast along with an older machine and then work comes in that taxes it to death. What do you do? Buy a whole new machine? Or, like the PCers, just drive over to a parts store and buy the fastest new mobo...

It's the OS, and the stability of day-to-day ops that keeps me loyal to the Mac OS.

barkmonster
Aug 9, 2002, 08:27 PM
Jigsaw24 were advertising the entry level way below the normal price in Sound on Sound this month and some of the other larger mail order companies have reduced the prices aswell once I had look at their online stores.

Either Apple are about to update the Powermacs or they've decided to just lower the prices because the dollar has lost a little against the pound over the past month or so. The iMac price reduction in the UK seems to be just an exchange rate issue and the price reductions some mac dealers are offering just put the UK prices inline with the US apple store prices.

I could be reading too much into it thinking that lower prices indicate a new range is coming out but the fact it's been over 6 months since new powermacs were released has got to mean they're bringing something out soon. They've upgraded everything else in the range since January 28th.

Make that the 15th, my 25th birthday and exactly 4 years to the day since the iMac came out :D

Rocketman
Aug 9, 2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by carta
Nice to read a hot rumor about the (hopefully) near arrival of new PowerMacs. I'd been thinking about a fast AMD machine to use as a background production unit, churning out big images in Photoshop before networking them over to my underpowered Mac for layout and export.

It's the OS, and the stability of day-to-day ops that keeps me loyal to the Mac OS.

I am a Mac advocate all the way but using peecees for specific dedicated purposes does make sense and hooking it to the ethernet network is a good way to manage the data coming into the mac for final processing.

Whether it be data collection, photoshop processing, linotype ripping or whatever, there are times where a low price CPU makes sense over the workstation beauty of a Mac.

Since Apple is not targeting these vertical applications with an LC+ type CPU it does make sense.

However I think we can agree the master CPU and every major user CPU should be a Mac. And now that Mac servers are the most economical on the planet, any high bandwidth or mass-storage should be driven via the Mac, including terraservers via fiberchannel.

Rocketman

Faeylyn
Aug 9, 2002, 09:15 PM
I recommend the Cambridge Soundworks, for ANYONE who is interested in upgrading their current speakers.

For the absolute best sound for your new IBM Power4-based Macintosh, go with Klipsch. http://www.klipsch.com/

Anything else is a toy. There is NO equal.

daRAT
Aug 9, 2002, 09:36 PM

daRAT, did you check your PM?

I did KC and thanks!

I also apologize to the crowd for going off topic :\

King Cobra
Aug 9, 2002, 09:42 PM
I was about to mention that. I have never seen an Article Discussion topic that has gone off-topic so quickly on such a big subject, and people seem more interesed in discussing the alternative. :p

Let's sum up what we have for the pre-digression...

My prediction of new PowerMacs once August 13 has arrived, peterjhill saying that they come out the day before at 10:35 PDT, and Megaquad's birthday also being the 13th (although I am afraid that isn't a rumor :D).

If we are going to discuss which stereo system rocks, open up a discussion somewhere else.

G4scott
Aug 9, 2002, 10:10 PM
The Apple community really needs these powermacs, and the news that they will run in excess of 1.2Ghz is good. Apple needs more than a 200mhz speed bump, and I'm confident that they can do it...

As for people saying that they'll jump to the windoze platform, why are you here? You don't own a Mac just to have the fastest computer on the planet, you own a Mac because they are the best computers on the planet. It's the whole Mac experience (Mac XP :p ) that makes it so much better than anything else.

Now, for my 2¢ on speakers, cambridge soundworks are the best... I have to turn my sub down so it doesn't drown out the other speakers I have hooked up to my computer...

jrbohorquezg
Aug 9, 2002, 10:28 PM
August 13th 8:00am CST:cool: :cool:

bousozoku
Aug 9, 2002, 10:49 PM
I just hope that most of the people who have been guessing at what Apple will have ready will not be damning Apple afterwards, when or if, the new machines do not match up to their wildest dreams.

It seems that everytime we've seen new machines arrive within the past year or so, the stock price goes down because they weren't great enough. The real users may not be thrilled but I'm sure they'll be satisfied. Others will still be caught up in MHz envy.

I'm just hoping for more than a simple step forward. Higher clock speeds would be nice but higher memory throughput, once again, is desirable beyond almost anything else. A bus speed of 166 or 200 MHz with DDR RAM and a faster memory controller would be extremely helpful at this point in time.

G4scott
Aug 9, 2002, 10:51 PM
I'm going to be very optimistic here :D

I can see Jobs at a special Apple event next week... "IBM's going to officially introduce a scaled down Power4 chip in October, but we're going to unofficially introduce it here, in our new PowerMac G5..."

And then, I woke up...

theranch
Aug 9, 2002, 11:27 PM
Funk,

Thanks in advance!

My friend has them and they sound good. I had been interested in them myself but never heard them until I stopped by his house. They would go great with a cube also.

SPG
Aug 9, 2002, 11:48 PM
If the recent rumors pan out there will be some nice new machines rolling out onto the sales floors at 10:30am PST Tuesday the 13th.
I'm going to buy the DP if it's a serious step forward, DDR, Mobo redesign. Even better for me would be a mid range DP, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

DaveGee
Aug 9, 2002, 11:58 PM
Don't get too excited about seeing 'IBM G5' based Mac's next week... Didn't you guys see Apple's '4th quarter guidance'?!?! Sales for Apple's 4th Quarter (in terms of the company that would be now) Apple is predicting FLAT sales. In other words they ain't expecting a huge POP in sales.

Sorry but that new CPU isn't gonna show up this year...

Dave

Faeylyn
Aug 10, 2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by DaveGee
Don't get too excited about seeing 'IBM G5' based Mac's next week... Didn't you guys see Apple's '4th quarter guidance'?!?! Sales for Apple's 4th Quarter (in terms of the company that would be now) Apple is predicting FLAT sales. In other words they ain't expecting a huge POP in sales.

Dave

Means nothing. Let's say Apple introduces the IBM G5 UberMac on 8/13. On 8/14, Apple comes out with revised guidance stating that they will, after all, see an upswing in sales. It's done all the time.

G4scott
Aug 10, 2002, 12:06 AM

Dave

geeze, you don't have to be so uptight about it... We (or at least I) were being sarcastic. Hey, we can dream, can't we?

That's why realistically, I predict a 1.4-1.5 Ghz G4 with all of the stuff the rumors have provided, like 2 CD drive bays, DDR memory, and stuff like that... What would be nice, though, are dual processors available in all configurations...

DaveGee
Aug 10, 2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by G4scott
geeze, you don't have to be so uptight about it... We (or at least I) were being sarcastic. Hey, we can dream, can't we?

I was uptight but it wasn't at anyone here... (should have made the more clear) I'm bummed because Apple said FLAT 4Q sales.

Translation: Hardware (whatever it is) will not be blowing anyone away.

And as for lying in a report filed with the SEC about future sales/income is not done all the time... A company can and does re-adjust things from time to time but if Apple does come out with KNOCK-YOUR-SOX-OFF hardware just a few days after reporting sales will be flat they WILL be investigated for trying to mainpulate the stock. This isn't the stock market of the 90's companies are being EXAMINED very closly.

Dave

iMatt
Aug 10, 2002, 01:47 AM
A friend of mine who works at a Apple-authorized retailer told me that Apple is going to introduce a rebate that is exactly the same as the current one (Crystal Clear) and it will run from August 13th till the end of September. Now, I am not a big techie and I don't really follow the development of G5s or any of that as closely as many of you people do here. But do you think that Apple will be holding off the new "G4s" and use the new IBM chip and just ship them even later?

I don't mean to stir up things, but it is possible that we might be faced with yet more delays for the new PowerMacs. There is still a possiblity that they will introduce the new PowerMacs, but I just thought that I will point out that the so-called "FLAT CHANCE" mail-in rebates will be taking place on Monday. So, it is interesting to see if Apple is really releasing new PowerMacs....

agoldweber
Aug 10, 2002, 01:50 AM
on 8/12 we're looking at new G4s in the same Quicksilver case.

modest speed bump. and either DDR or faster FSB.

we won't see radical changes until new case and motherboards for non OS-9 bootables--likely in Feb of 2003.

...the crystal ball has spoken

markseaton
Aug 10, 2002, 04:02 AM
the canadian ingram web site as of this post shows ZERO for all powermacs 800,933,and dual's 1ghz, and the servers...

Faeylyn
Aug 10, 2002, 04:38 AM
If Apple's sales are actually going to be flat for this quarter then they will not be releasing ANYTHING until late September at the earliest. That means NOTHING. At least nothing significant. If they released what many think they will, say a dual 1.4GHz G4 + decent bus specs, their sales would most surely NOT be flat. Well, maybe they would because I wouldn't buy one. :)

Another scenario is that they announce in August and don't deliver until September sometime. And another one is that the announce and deliver in August, but only in limited quantities (which they do a lot). Yet another scenario is that they announce and deliver in September. Either of these would mean flat sales. We're already half way through the quarter.

neilt
Aug 10, 2002, 06:50 AM

Dave

From apple's financial faq:
Q: What is Apple's fiscal year and corresponding earnings release dates?
A: Apple's fiscal year 2002 runs from September 30, 2001 to September > 28, 2002. See the calendar of events for a tentative schedule of earnings release dates for FY2002.

----------
So they are saying that sales from June 30 - Sept 30 are going to be flat....
no one was buying before macworld....and they pretty much know that no one will buy until after Aug. 24 (jaguar release), so, are you suprised that they are calling for flat sales during this period?
They can still announce something in august which might be shipping by the end of august (when has anything shipped when announced :rolleyes: ) and sell the crap out of them throught the entire month of september, and still end up with pretty flat sales for the full quarter. If nothing sells for 2/3 of the quarter it doesn't matter how much the sell in the last third, it would take a lot to get good sales for the entire quarter.

We are already half way through this quarter and I would bet apple's sales are way down at this point....not flat. They are going to have to sell alot of computers to get back to flat at this point....so I think you probably can expect something this month.

neilt

DaveGee
Aug 10, 2002, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by neilt
We are already half way through this quarter and I would bet apple's sales are way down at this point....not flat. They are going to have to sell alot of computers to get back to flat at this point....so I think you probably can expect something this month.

neilt

Neilt,

THANK YOU!! :D I thought it ran till end of Oct. this does give me some hope after all... Thanks for correcting me.

Not-So-Bummed Dave

neilt
Aug 10, 2002, 07:37 AM
Dave,

i hope i am just not fooling myself!

neilt:D

non fiction
Aug 10, 2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by agoldweber
on 8/12 we're looking at new G4s in the same Quicksilver case.

modest speed bump. and either DDR or faster FSB.

we won't see radical changes until new case and motherboards for non OS-9 bootables--likely in Feb of 2003.

...the crystal ball has spoken

I have to agree with agoldweber. IBM power might be round the corner for, but let's be realistic for a moment. It is more than likely we will see a recognizable machine with improvements in all areas. Based on expectation and usual announcement dates, something is due very soon - Aug 13th?. It will not be the peeeceee crusher we are all dreaming of, but it will be another very nice computer from the greatest company on earth.

How many of us have used a dual 1Ghz? I am still living in a beige world down here. I think I would be extremely happy with a current top of the line Quicksilver, and I think the new models will have enough goodies on board to get us all a little wet....

3 days til we all forget we where predicting the 13th and come up with another date to dream about....

MacArtist
Aug 10, 2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by iMatt
A friend of mine who works at a Apple-authorized retailer told me that Apple is going to introduce a rebate that is exactly the same as the current one (Crystal Clear) and it will run from August 13th till the end of September. Now, I am not a big techie and I don't really follow the development of G5s or any of that as closely as many of you people do here. But do you think that Apple will be holding off the new "G4s" and use the new IBM chip and just ship them even later?

I don't mean to stir up things, but it is possible that we might be faced with yet more delays for the new PowerMacs. There is still a possiblity that they will introduce the new PowerMacs, but I just thought that I will point out that the so-called "FLAT CHANCE" mail-in rebates will be taking place on Monday. So, it is interesting to see if Apple is really releasing new PowerMacs....

That really doesn't mean a thing. Apple has been running this rebate in one form or another since last fall. Sometimes it was based on which system you bought, sometimes it was based on the monitor. The main reason for the rebate is not really to sell PowerMacs but rather to sell the Studio displays.

How many people here would rather buy a good 19" CRT for ~$400 as opposed to a 17" Studio Display for $999. I personally got a 19" CRT from a friend for ~$200 even though I really wanted the 17" Studio Display.

Also let us not forget that new and reduced price Studio Displays have been floating through the rumor mill.

I'm not sure when exactly the new towers are going to appear, but it has to be soon.

ImAlwaysRight
Aug 10, 2002, 10:53 AM

Dude, your "friend who works at a Apple-authorized retailer" doesn't know jack. Even if he were Steve Jobs' cousin he still wouldn't know anything. Resellers/retailers aren't told anything in advance other than what we are. An employee of a Microcenter told me before the last MWNY that the iBook was going to be revised for the back to school crowd. What an idiot. It was the iMac, just like these good rumor sites predicted.

You can expect new PowerMacs on the 13th. I wouldn't put much faith in what some peeon at CompUSA, MicroCenter, Fry's, or anywhere else tells you.

Panda Genma
Aug 10, 2002, 11:06 AM
I've noticed a lot of talk about the soundsticks and people wanting to know what are the best speakers for their system, so I thought it was time to speak up. For a good few years now, PC systems have had 5.1 compatible, digital sound mother boards. THX speakers are even available for them. Why has not Apple jumped onto the 5.1 DDS/DTS bandwagon? Being stuck with 2.0 sound is just not cutting it. Wouldn't it be nice if, along with all this hype about how great the audio is on the mac, they had a 5.1 digital out on the mother board of the new powermacs, or released new USB 5.1 speakers? Does anyone agree with me that we've stayed stereo too long? As it is, I'm looking to buy a Yamaha RP-U200 reciever, which has a USB input, and some speakers. MacAddict recommended that one.

bousozoku
Aug 10, 2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Faeylyn
...If they released what many think they will, say a dual 1.4GHz G4 + decent bus specs, their sales would most surely NOT be flat. Well, maybe they would because I wouldn't buy one. :)

...We're already half way through the quarter.

It seems to me your purchase is not going to make or break the company.

iMatt
Aug 10, 2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by ImAlwaysRight

Dude, your "friend who works at a Apple-authorized retailer" doesn't know jack. Even if he were Steve Jobs' cousin he still wouldn't know anything. Resellers/retailers aren't told anything in advance other than what we are. An employee of a Microcenter told me before the last MWNY that the iBook was going to be revised for the back to school crowd. What an idiot. It was the iMac, just like these good rumor sites predicted.

You can expect new PowerMacs on the 13th. I wouldn't put much faith in what some peeon at CompUSA, MicroCenter, Fry's, or anywhere else tells you.

Just to defend my friend here. He never tells me what Apple is coming up with or when anything is coming. But he does know when PROMOTIONS from Apple are coming, usually a week ahead of time. And as I said on the post, I am not saying that there will be no new PowerMacs, but just to point out that if you guys were saying that b/c of the "Crystal Clear" promotion starting right before MWNY meant that we would not see new PowerMacs at MWNY, which we didn't, and if the new promotion is exactly the same as the current one, how are we sure NOW that we will be seeing new PowerMacs on the 13th?

Personally, I hope that we will still see new PowerMacs, and the rebate is simply due to the fact that the prices of LCDs have dropped, or at least, Apple will be dropping thiers with the introduction of the PowerMacs anyway. :-)

ImAlwaysRight
Aug 10, 2002, 12:08 PM
... if the new promotion is exactly the same as the current one, how are we sure NOW that we will be seeing new PowerMacs on the 13th?

1) Even before MWNY in July we've had predictions at the most reliable rumor sites of new PowerMacs Aug 13. And that was not based solely on the current rebate, but also due to insider information.

2) Like the lead of this thread says, no PowerMac supply in the channel at Apple's biggest distributer.

3) Apple store is stating 5-7 days for a new Quicksilver PowerMac.

4) Current rebate ends August 12.

5) The Quicksilver PowerMac was last updated in Jan 2002.

And you want me to think new PowerMacs may not be coming Aug 13 because your friend says a new promotion is coming exactly like the current one? Call me a skeptic, but I have a little trouble even considering the possiblity of no new PowerMacs at this point given all the other facts.

If the same promotion is being extended, then it is simply to sell the remaining PowerMac G4 Quicksilver models at CompUSA, MacMall, etc, because the new PowerMacs will ROCK and no one is going to want to buy the old ones. If the new low end ends up being a 1.0GHz PowerMac w/DDR and Radeon 9000 Pro for $1599, it is going to be pretty hard to sell the Quicksilver models. A new Promotion on the Quicksilvers makes sense simply to get rid of old stock, and even with reduced prices, not too many people will be interested in buying the old models.

I can't wait until Tuesday!!!

iMatt
Aug 10, 2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by ImAlwaysRight

If the same promotion is being extended, then it is simply to sell the remaining PowerMac G4 Quicksilver models at CompUSA, MacMall, etc, because the new PowerMacs will ROCK and no one is going to want to buy the old ones. If the new low end ends up being a 1.0GHz PowerMac w/DDR and Radeon 9000 Pro for $1599, it is going to be pretty hard to sell the Quicksilver models. A new Promotion on the Quicksilvers makes sense simply to get rid of old stock, and even with reduced prices, not too many people will be interested in buying the old models.

I can't wait until Tuesday!!! [/B]

For the last time, I am not saying that there will not be new PowerMacs coming, but just to point out that there are new promotions coming, and do not get mad or disappointed next week, if there are no new PowerMacs.

Also, just so that you know, the promotion says "buy any PowerMac G4s with the displays" which means that if they do introduce the new PowerMacs on Monday or Tuesday, they will still be eligible for the rebate, unless, of course, they are not G4s. :-)

King Cobra
Aug 10, 2002, 02:09 PM
>(iMatt)Also, just so that you know, the promotion says "buy any PowerMac G4s with the displays" which means that if they do introduce the new PowerMacs on Monday or Tuesday, they will still be eligible for the rebate, unless, of course, they are not G4s. :-)

Just so you know, iMatt, the promotion also has a little asterisk that links to the model PowerMacs for this rebate offer.

Straight from Macmall.com. (I have highlighted the asterisks so you can see them. I'll admit, they aren't square, but so what?)

Rajj
Aug 10, 2002, 02:21 PM
One word.... Duhh!!

trilogic
Aug 10, 2002, 03:16 PM
sorry I was going off topic with the iSub and Sticks so I delete my post.

:D

iMatt
Aug 10, 2002, 03:47 PM
Sorry, my bad. I forgot to read the new promo properly. I didn't realize that the current promo is PowerMac-specific, ie, the amount of rebates you get back is dependent on the model of PowerMac you get.

The new "Flat Chance" promotion is display-specific: (q quote from the PDF, I cannot post the PDF here becuase the file is too big):

• Buy any Power Mac G4 and a 17-inch Apple Studio Display and receive $300
back via mail-in rebate.
• Buy any Power Mac G4 and a 22-inch Apple Cinema Display and receive $300
back via mail-in rebate.
• Buy any Power Mac G4 and a 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display and receive
$750 via mail-in rebate.

Those are CANADIAN dollars by the way. So, I think that we might be seeing the PowerMacs soon, since it says *ANY* Power Mac G4. :-)

Sorry, but I just got too upset when my friend told me that there are even more rebates coming for the Power Mac and Displays on August 13th. :-(

Rocketman
Aug 10, 2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Panda Genma
I've noticed a lot of talk about the soundsticks and people wanting to know what are the best speakers for their system, so I thought it was time to speak up. For a good few years now, PC systems have had 5.1 compatible, digital sound mother boards. THX speakers are even available for them. Why has not Apple jumped onto the 5.1 DDS/DTS bandwagon? Being stuck with 2.0 sound is just not cutting it. Wouldn't it be nice if, along with all this hype about how great the audio is on the mac, they had a 5.1 digital out on the mother board of the new powermacs, or released new USB 5.1 speakers? Does anyone agree with me that we've stayed stereo too long? As it is, I'm looking to buy a Yamaha RP-U200 reciever, which has a USB input, and some speakers. MacAddict recommended that one.

Since Macs have USB is it not simply a software issue to drive output and speakers in that format with a dongle? As as such don't such dongles already exist?

iMatt
Aug 10, 2002, 04:17 PM
sorry, but for some reason, my previous post got posted twice. I tried to delete the second one, but I cannot. So, I am just typing something here so that you don't have to read the posts twice.

cyberfunk
Aug 10, 2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Ness
The following are the specifications of the fastest Motorola PowerPC processor currently available taken from their website (http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?nodeId=03M943030450467M98653).

Processor Model: MPC7455
Clock Speeds: 600 MHz, 733 MHz, 800 MHz, 933 MHz, 1 GHz
Bus Speed: 133
Bus Interface: 64 bit
Level 1 Cache: 32 KB
Level 2 Cache: 256 KB
Level 3 Caches: 1 MB, 2MB

According to this information, the processor is limited to a 1 GHz clock speed, 133 MHz system bus and 2 MB of level 3 cache. Therefore, I doubt that we will see faster Power Macs until Motorola comes out with a faster processor. The most Apple could do right now is redesign the case, include a newer, faster CD-RW or DVD/CD-RW combo drive and a single 1 GHz processor configuration. Unless of course, someone can find proof of the existence of a better PowerPC processor that supports a 1.5 GHz clock speed and a 266 MHz system bus.

Oh, and I've already looked at IBM's fastest PowerPC processor. Except from supporting a 266 MHz system bus and less cache it is otherwise equivalent to Motorola's. I also highly doubt that Apple will overclock either of these processors to 1.1 GHz or above, since IBM and Motorola do not endorse doing so for various reasons. Lastly, I very highly doubt that Apple will even use IBM's processors or anybody else's in the near future, because of the contract they have with Motorola.

Blah blah Blah, You really ARE a newbie.. all that means nothing.. Apple and Motorola have a contract , right ? you dont think theres something in there that specifies NON DISCLOSURE OF NEW CPUS ??? If you dont, then your seriously smoking ****... of COURSE Motorola/IBM dont have specs for the new CPUs, they almost never have ! A 1 Ghz G4 useable in macs wasnt available before macworld SF, but then suddenly, it appeared... HMMMM... Lets see, perhaps it's Apple, asking Motorola NOT to publish such things ?

Sheeesh man.

cyberfunk
Aug 10, 2002, 05:55 PM
Sorry I'm a little Testy , the damn FedEx Truck broke down right before it got to me on it's route, and it was carrying some computer goodies that I have to wait till tuesday to get now, futhermore, I'm annoyed because I want a new powermac, BAD.

cyberfunk
Aug 10, 2002, 05:59 PM
The most Apple could do right now is redesign the case, include a newer, faster CD-RW or DVD/CD-RW combo drive and a single 1 GHz processor configuration. Unless of course, someone can find proof of the existence of a better PowerPC processor that supports a 1.5 GHz clock speed and a 266 MHz system bus.

And, if Apple did that, people would be raving mad, I would be LIVID.

G4scott
Aug 10, 2002, 07:02 PM
The following are the specifications of the fastest Motorola PowerPC processor currently available taken from their website (http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?nodeId=03M943030450467M98653).

Processor Model: MPC7455
Clock Speeds: 600 MHz, 733 MHz, 800 MHz, 933 MHz, 1 GHz
Bus Speed: 133
Bus Interface: 64 bit
Level 1 Cache: 32 KB
Level 2 Cache: 256 KB
Level 3 Caches: 1 MB, 2MB

According to this information, the processor is limited to a 1 GHz clock speed, 133 MHz system bus and 2 MB of level 3 cache. Therefore, I doubt that we will see faster Power Macs until Motorola comes out with a faster processor. The most Apple could do right now is redesign the case, include a newer, faster CD-RW or DVD/CD-RW combo drive and a single 1 GHz processor configuration. Unless of course, someone can find proof of the existence of a better PowerPC processor that supports a 1.5 GHz clock speed and a 266 MHz system bus.

Oh, and I've already looked at IBM's fastest PowerPC processor. Except from supporting a 266 MHz system bus and less cache it is otherwise equivalent to Motorola's. I also highly doubt that Apple will overclock either of these processors to 1.1 GHz or above, since IBM and Motorola do not endorse doing so for various reasons. Lastly, I very highly doubt that Apple will even use IBM's processors or anybody else's in the near future, because of the contract they have with Motorola.

You know, Motorola doesn't have to put information on new processors on their page before they're released. Does their web page also say that they're releasing the 7500 to embedded markets? All of those specs are the same as Apple's computers, and Motorola doesn't make processors just for Apple.

ktlx
Aug 10, 2002, 07:21 PM
Alright, I am almost buying that, but I just have to ask.

What on earth does Motorola get out of a contract deal like that?

Why money, of course :D

I mean are they supposed sit on their butts while Apple comes out with a computer that has their latest processor! And then, after that they can release it to the rest of the world! I just don't see what Motorola is getting out of giving Apple first dibs on all their PowerPC processors. Sure, they get to sell thousands of them to Apple as soon as possible, but then they can't sell any until Apple releases a new computer!

It is unlikely Motorola's other customers are in the dark about any new processors. Based upon my experience, they would be covered by an NDA also.

It could work something like this (pure speculation). Apple has an NDA agreement with Motorola that new processors going into PowerMacs are not announced until the PowerMac is announced. However Motorola would also be demonstrating this processor to companies like Cisco, Lucent, etc. and those companies would have an NDA with Motorola that they are unable to announce any products based upon the new processors until Motorola announces them.

I have been in a situation like this with another vendor so it is not completely out of the realm of possibility.

cyberfunk
Aug 10, 2002, 07:36 PM

I mean are they supposed sit on their butts......

Well, Motorola, gets a contract from Apple, in addition, it's not likely they they're going to use the same CPUs in embedded as they are in the PowerMacs.

Such NDAs are standard in the industry , Motorola, espcially at this point, cant afford to piss Apple off. I know Apple isnt their only buiness, but they're a big enough part of it for them to care if Apple goes elsewhere.

cyberfunk
Aug 10, 2002, 07:40 PM

I, myself currently have $3000 saved up to buy a Power Mac and am waiting to see what they will do. I really need a Power Mac for College ....

Well, Ness, it looks like we're in the same boat, I , too, desperately need a new mac for college, but I've got only 2500 , maby a little less, I really hope I can get something decent for that.. I need a monitor tho.. hmmm..

zkmusa
Aug 10, 2002, 08:37 PM
Ness, I'm the same exact boat as you! lol

I too have a Pentium II (266 Mhz) running Windows 2000 at the moment. It's running fine, but I've been waiting to jump ship to Macs for a couple years.

Now, I'm going to college so the time is ripe for a new computer.

Malus120
Aug 10, 2002, 08:46 PM

Well, Ness, it looks like we're in the same boat, I , too, desperately need a new mac for college, but I've got only 2500 , maby a little less, I really hope I can get something decent for that.. I need a monitor tho.. hmmm..

Oh ONLY $2500 BITCH ;) . Ill be lucky if i can scrap togeather $1500 for a new PM. But i guess you guys are going to collage so you need it a bit more than i do. Im still jelous though :mad:

cyberfunk
Aug 10, 2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Malus120

Oh ONLY $2500 BITCH ;) . Ill be lucky if i can scrap togeather $1500 for a new PM. But i guess you guys are going to collage so you need it a bit more than i do. Im still jelous though :mad:

Yea, thats right, 2500 of my cash, not momy's money, 2500 of my hard earned molah...

cant complain about parents too much, tho, they ARE paying for college.

cyberfunk
Aug 10, 2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Malus120

Furthermore, do you know what my last computer /current computer is ?? A 4 yr old Begie G3 333 !! Thats tourture.. try it sometime.

MacArtist
Aug 10, 2002, 10:28 PM

I mean are they supposed sit on their butts while Apple comes out with a computer that has their latest processor! And then, after that they can release it to the rest of the world! I just don't see what Motorola is getting out of giving Apple first dibs on all their PowerPC processors. Sure, they get to sell thousands of them to Apple as soon as possible, but then they can't sell any until Apple releases a new computer!

The fact of the matter is that the PPC chip used in the PowerMac isn't the same as what they use in the embeded market. The only other purchasers of the PPC used in the PowerMac are the upgrade manufacturers and they just released 1GHz upgrades about a month ago.

Not to mention that Apple would want to keep any info on faster processors under raps so that it doesn't get people in a tizy. If Moto had say a 1.2 or 1.4 processor on their website people would wonder why it wasn't in the PowerMac.

Also look at when the Geforce4's came out, they were announced by Apple before Nvidia even officially announced them.

So don't worry, when Apple finally releases the new PowerMacs, they are going to be more than just a case redesign.

arn
Aug 10, 2002, 11:46 PM

According to this information, the processor is limited to a 1 GHz clock speed, 133 MHz system bus and 2 MB of level 3 cache. Therefore, I doubt that we will see faster Power Macs until Motorola comes out with a faster processor.

To echo other people's comments Ness... you must be new to the Apple/Mac rumor scene...

If we could predict Apple's next processor speeds as easily as looking at Motorola's page... well, then, things would be a LOT easier.

Motorola/Apple have announced new PPC processor speeds at the same time as far back as I can remember.

arn

cyberfunk
Aug 11, 2002, 12:10 AM
Also, Apple seems to take pride in announcing new cool stuff, ie: Geforce 4 was announced by them first.. ect.

macman21
Aug 11, 2002, 12:38 AM
And how often do you think Motorola is waiting on Apple? It would seem that it is almost always the other way around. Exactly why Apple should go with IBM...

Snowy_River
Aug 11, 2002, 01:27 AM

Furthermore, do you know what my last computer /current computer is ?? A 4 yr old Begie G3 333 !! Thats tourture.. try it sometime.

I'm afraid that I'm not going to give you much sympathy, here. Up until about eight months ago, my computer was a five year old PowerBook 3400/200. I found it quite sufficient to do an enormous amount of work, ranging from 3D CAD design work to some numeric analysis. By comparison, a 333 G3 would have been a dream. But, now I'm on a newer system. (Alas, not as high powered as I might have liked, but money demands....)

cyberfunk
Aug 11, 2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Snowy_River

I'm afraid that I'm not going to give you much sympathy, here. Up until about eight months ago, my computer was a five year old PowerBook 3400/200. I found it quite sufficient to do an enormous amount of work, ranging from 3D CAD design work to some numeric analysis. By comparison, a 333 G3 would have been a dream. But, now I'm on a newer system. (Alas, not as high powered as I might have liked, but money demands....)

Well, my poor beige was doing internet routing, and for games, the thing is torture, a Rage Pro ? uuuuuuuugh.

psymac
Aug 11, 2002, 11:33 AM
Just read the tea leaves over at MacOSrumors, and he's saying new PMs not until August 24th.

I do hope he's completely off the mark, like a lot of people, I'm in DESPERATE need of a new PM, I'm running MS Word X, what a dog. But, its OS X native, and I think two years was a long enough wait for the next version of WordPerfect (which was, sadly, perfect for my needs on OS 9).

My budget is about $2500 also, I do hope that gets me a dual 1.2ghz with 3mb L3 cache and 512k DDR. Whooo hoooo, Word might be as fast as on my old SE/30 with OS 7.

Really though, its the shipping date I'm worried about!

Come on, Apple, come on, release them already!

cyberfunk
Aug 11, 2002, 12:29 PM
I'm reaaaaaaaallly hoping they're wrong, and I've got several reasons to think so.

cyberfunk
Aug 11, 2002, 01:10 PM
You know, I'm suprised thinksecret hasnt weighed in on any of this... I'd be a lot more likely to trust stuff they said.. tho that Nick guy seems a little flaky..

Postal
Aug 11, 2002, 01:31 PM
My prediction (not that I have sources or any metaphysical abilities):

- 10:30 AM (maybe 9 AM) PST launch on the 13th
- speeds of up to 1.26 GHz
- DDR266 memory and system buses
- faster Superdrives
- the inclusion of the Radeon 9000 Pro and/or Radeon 9700 Pro as options
- up to 120 GB per hard drive
- OSX 10.2 pre-installed, no OS9 boot option
- slightly new case design (go figure)

Seems quite plausible to me. :)

Hud0
Aug 11, 2002, 01:42 PM
what kind of sound do power macs have? I glanced on apple's hardware page, but didn't see much.

Currently my nForce board offers up dolby 5.1 which makes my DVDs sound great.

dongmin
Aug 11, 2002, 02:12 PM
You know, I'm suprised thinksecret hasnt weighed in on any of this... I'd be a lot more likely to trust stuff they said.. tho that Nick guy seems a little flaky..

They did weigh in on this, but it was a month ago. Here's the ThinkSecret article (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/g3imacg4towers.html) .

Of all the prognosticators out there, I think ThinkSecret has the best track record, especially recently. So if they say August 13th, and they haven't retracted themselves, I'm going with the 13th.

Of course, they made the prediction a month ago and it may very well be that Apple is changing course. BUT Powermac inventory is very low so there's no reason for Apple to be waiting, unless they're having major manufacturing issues.

To tie all the rumors together, I say announcement on Tuesday and shipping on August 24th.

psymac
Aug 11, 2002, 02:26 PM
If announced on the 13th (which I really, really hope), and shipping on the 24th, anyone know which vendor, Apple or otherwise, would be the best in terms of getting the new PM into my hot little hands soonest?

Darn, this is going to be the next two slowest days, I gotta keep busy with work or something and quit obsessing!:cool:

cyberfunk
Aug 11, 2002, 02:33 PM
I agree..... It's going to be a veeery slow two days.... I'm going nuts... I have nothing else to do, but get this new computer... literally nothing but eat/sleep and buy powermac... I need one.. now.

Spike Spiegel
Aug 11, 2002, 06:09 PM
ever since MWNY, the days have been dragging on. Then the 3rd passed, and now we might not even see an announcement on the 13th. I need a mid-range computer and im not going to settle w/ a 933 for graphics work, with the lure of faster bus and RAM, not to mention 10.2. I really hope they are at the very least announced with a late august shipping date.

ImAlwaysRight
Aug 12, 2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by dongmin
To tie all the rumors together, I say announcement on Tuesday and shipping on August 24th.

I say announcement on Tueday, Aug 13, shipping immediately (or within a few days). Why? Look at Apple's track record. They announced the dual 1GHz on Jan 31 and shipped immediately. It shipped sooner than most iMac G4 orders that were placed weeks earlier (like the new PowerMacs will ship before the 17" iMac G4).

Also, Think Secret is reporting "10.2 Jaguar shipping to resellers." If Jaguar is already shipping, then 10.2 can easily be ready for new PowerMacs as well.

Finally, last week new PowerMacs at the Apple store said "5-7 days" for the shipping time. Which would put shipment of new PowerMacs this week.

I suppose I am biased, as I am ordering a new PowerMac as soon as it is announced, and I WANT the new PowerMacs to ship this week. But, I think the new PowerMacs are already sitting in some warehouse waiting to be shipped. There has been speculation that Apple didn't introduce the new PowerMacs at MWNY to sell the Quicksilvers that were still in plenty of supply. Now that that supply is gone... WOOOO-HOOOO!)

amnesiac1984
Aug 12, 2002, 10:00 AM

Well, my poor beige was doing internet routing, and for games, the thing is torture, a Rage Pro ? uuuuuuuugh.

well at least it will run games, I'm on a 5 year old beige g3 233 rev. a with a rage II !!!!!!! This was ordered as soon as they announced the new G3's but it was almost obsolete as a gaming machine 6 months later when apple announced support for open gl and my card didn't run it!!!! I know exactly how those ppl with recent TiBook's feel about not being supported by Quartz Extreme!!!

sorry a bit off topic there, but that is why I'm getting a new PM tomorrow, definatly, need it for college too!!!

blufire
Aug 12, 2002, 12:20 PM
Hey, join the torture boat! (It's getting pretty big...) I, too, bought this first-generation G3 right when they were introduced... My machine is a 233 beige minitower (clocked to 300), and I've gutted this thing like 10x over... besides the rage II+ (with a whopping 2 MB of VRAM!), this thing is still running strong and I love it! Although I will be getting a new PM when they come out, I don't want to leave this computer :( .. Oh well.. (how can ANYBODY call using a mac "torture"?!?) I run a software company and can do pretty much everything else on this Mac (except maybe Deus Ex :rolleyes: )

amnesiac1984
Aug 12, 2002, 01:27 PM
DOn't get me wrong I do love my old G3 and it works fine for everything except games. I can run Deus Ex but not in OS X only OS 9!! I think that may be something to do with my g4 400 upgrade zif tho, so it can do software rendering!! with jaguar this will be a pretty snappy web browsing machine and with a radeon 7000 pci it will be still very useful