Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

130857-twitter_iphone_1.jpg

130857-twitter_iphone_2.jpg

As hinted at by yesterday's disappearance of Tweetie 2 from the App Store, the rebranded official Twitter iPhone application [App Store, Free] has now been released.

In addition to the rebranding, Twitter brings several enhancements over the previous version of Tweetie:
- Tweetie is now Twitter! We didn't just do a name change, we've added a bunch of new stuff.
- Search has been reorganized, now you can search all tweets and find users in the same spot, view Top Tweets and Browse Suggested users.
- Search results now include Top Tweets, try it with Trends...winner combo!
- You can now use Twitter without an account! Search, Browse uses, view trends and top tweets.
- Sign-up is now available within the application as well, complete with Suggested user list.
- More tab has been reorganized to accomplish all this. Users with one account can add a second account under the Accounts and Settings button here.
- Actions we've found people use most, like Retweet have been moved to the main actions bar.
- Minor tweaks were made to tweet rendering so they match Twitter.com tweets.
Twitter last month acquired Tweetie with the intention of adopting the popular platform as its own free iPhone application. For the time being, Twitter does not offer an iPad-specific version of the application, although it seems logical that the company might pursue development of either a universal Twitter application or a dedicated iPad version that could take advantage of the significantly greater screen real estate available on Apple's tablet device.

Article Link: Twitter for iPhone Now Available in App Store

koach

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Seriously, this is what passes for news around here? Twitter is the toilet of the internet, and not worthy of use yet alone discussion here.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I like the fact that the Retweet function is now part of the swipe menu. I do wish they'd add a dark theme back into this app.

Now, release the Tweetie update for the Mac, for God's sake.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
If it's not loading in your search results.. Just hit the app store link in macrumors post

This app sucks.. Theirs no push

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Why is this news? There has always been a Twitter app?

Nope, never. Facebook had their own app, but Twitter didn't.

There were dozens of 3rd-party Twitter apps, but not an official one.

Last month twitter bought one of the more popular apps named 'Tweetie 2' and turned it into "Twitter for iPhone." That's what came out today. It's the first official Twitter app.

(It's pretty much the same as Tweetie 2 at this point.)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Seriously, this is what passes for news around here? Twitter is the toilet of the internet, and not worthy of use yet alone discussion here.

Get ready for your comments to be flushed. :D

D0rk

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Just got it.

This whole situation makes me glad I never splurged on buying Tweetie 1/2. On the other hand, the app is so well designed that I kinda wish I supported him before he sold it off.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'll try twitter now, since this apps free doubt I'll use it a lot though

Twitter.com has ALWAYS been free if you use it through the web. I'm not saying you shouldn't use Twitter, but "this app being free" is kind of an odd reason to start now since the site itself has always been free. If you weren't interestd yesterday, what really changed?

Does it have ads? I'm not by my phone, can't check :(

No

aznkid25

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
Anyone find it a little annoying that every time you open the app, it goes to the last viewed tweet in the timeline, instead of scrolling to the top to view the newest tweets?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.