PDA

View Full Version : Is my eMac a lemon?

geese
Oct 6, 2004, 06:39 PM
:(
I think my eMac was made on a Friday afternoon.

Not only is there this annoying iTunes problem posted in this threadhttp://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1070829 but my computer is now randomly sleeping or crashing.

Basically, the eMacs screen will suddenly go dead. The power light is still on and the sound stops. I have to hold down the power button to restart.

I'm not sure what triggers this, but the last time it was pulling my headphones from the phones socket. Before that I was trying to compile something using BlueJ. Previous to that i was doing something in iTunes.

Did a hardware test, passed OK.

My machines only 4 months old, whats going on??? my old 5500 was a trusty workhorse!

crazzyeddie
Oct 6, 2004, 07:25 PM
Reinstall OS X. If that doesn't work, call Apple Support. The clean install assures that its not a software issue, so your phone call will be covered for free under your 1 year warranty.

Macmaniac
Oct 6, 2004, 07:26 PM
Yes try the clean install, that could fix things, if that does not work you might have a bad logic board or power supply that is preventing the computer from waking up.

mklos
Oct 6, 2004, 09:27 PM
Yes..I 3rd the re-install of OS X. I've setup a few brand-new out of the box Macs with bad installs of Mac OS X. I just re-installed OS X and everything worked fine.

jsfpa
Oct 9, 2004, 11:23 PM
I have one question. Did you install any third party memory? I have had problems with OS X and memory bought at the local computer store. Lock ups and kernel panics all stopped when I changed out the memory for a chip I got from Crutial.

John