PDA

View Full Version : G4 Laptop wireless card not working :*(

dadada2000
Oct 7, 2004, 10:34 AM
Help!
I have a G4 1GHZ laptop running 10.3.5 with a airport card in it, I donít think itís the extreme one. Under system profile card type is: AirPort Firmware 9.52.
Everything seemed to be working fine at my brothers place using his wireless network. I think someone at his place changed the setting to do a computer to computer network.. Now for some reason I canít connect to any wireless network it doesnít even see any of them (home, school). I donít know if the card is bad or whatÖ the strange thing is, in one of the buildings I have class in, it finds a linksys network using netstumbeler and shows that the signal is strong and says itís a computer to computer connection, but in the upper right hand corner of the screen were the airport icon is it doesnít show any signal even when the linksys network is selected, I get no green bars for the signal strength. Iíve tried everything I can think ofÖ other then re-installing the OS, which I really donít want to do. Is there any utility out there that can reset the airport card?? I zipped the PRAM and that didnít work. Any help would be grate!

tomf87
Oct 7, 2004, 12:29 PM
So, if you go into System Preferences, then Network, and open your Airport properties, under the Airport tab, it should say "By default, join:" and have Automatic.

Then under Internet Connect, and your drop down should show some networks. Create network should not be selected.

dadada2000
Oct 7, 2004, 02:17 PM
I have done this.
I have "Allow this computer to create networks" unchecked
and By default,Join:Automatic
I still don't see any wireless networks :(

emw
Oct 7, 2004, 02:45 PM
I have done this.
I have "Allow this computer to create networks" unchecked
and By default,Join:Automatic
I still don't see any wireless networks :(

If you know the name of the network, you should be able to go under the Airport menu icon and select "Other..." and try typing in the name of the network and see if that works.

Also, try deleting your preferences (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.airport.plist) or rebuilding permissions (use Disk Utility).